Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

rgocs posted:

Honestly curious. Was your aunt Liz an alcoholic before she won the 15 million or became one afterwards?

She was before and it only made her worse. The kicker is that her drink of choice is Coors light on the rocks. Have some class! All of her bar buddies came out of the wood work and wound up either stealing or outright using her. It was/is a horrible slow motion train wreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

OP, why the hate?

Lottery tickets helped fund your lovely public elementary school and your lovely public college you barely got into.

hm yes, good point, I wonder why it was so lovely, though, maybe if we get the richest people in the country to help pay for these things instead of focusing on wringing money out of the working poor???

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Lol at all these destitute people gambling as their only method of escaping poverty. Better not invest in education or social programs, because the American machine is greased with the blood of the poor.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

OP i think scratch offs are a fun birthday gift kinda

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

They had some at a wedding party and I won $40. The cashier looked surprised that I didn't want to get 40 more...

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Bababooie

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

I know how miniscule my chances are of winning but I also know my chances of being wealthy enough to stop being a wage slave any other way so gently caress you for criticising me for spending 5 bux a week I'd piss away otherwise.
yeah

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

lottery should be illegal, all gambling above personal games between friends like poker should be illegal

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Pitdragon posted:

Lottery isn't about winning money. You're buying a dream, buying a ticket out of the hellhole of drudgery and misery that is your existence. Sure, most tickets are losers, but in the meantime, before that inevitable disappointment, you have the chance to daydream about your wonderful new lottery existence, and even believe that it has snowball's chance in hell of becoming a reality.

that actually makes it worse, selling dreams is cynical and the people who scam and fool the gullible and poor should be executed

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

TEAYCHES posted:

that actually makes it worse, selling dreams is cynical and the people who scam and fool the gullible and poor should be executed
Agreed, burn all churches and lotteries to the ground imo

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
you can't win if you don't play OP sounds like you know nothing about money

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
scratching that silver stuff off with the edge of a coin makes a really unpleasant feeling and sound imho

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Jim Barris posted:

Agreed, burn all churches and lotteries to the ground imo

with churches you get a community and social club so it serves a purpose other than pure cynical exploitation

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I let my kids each buy a 2 dollar scratcher with their allowance once. They were pretty disgusted by the whole deal. I am so glad the lesson worked as I planned and they didn't win, or I might have made little gamblers out of them.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

TEAYCHES posted:

with churches you get a community and social club so it serves a purpose other than pure cynical exploitation
Would you be interested in buying your own personal prayer package for just 29.99? It's a dishrag that you pray into and it grants wishes.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Jim Barris posted:

Would you be interested in buying your own personal prayer package for just 29.99? It's a dishrag that you pray into and it grants wishes.

yea ppl who peddle that kind of stuff or tv evangelists should also be executed

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

TEAYCHES posted:

That is why I don't hate on religion.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

TEAYCHES posted:

lottery should be illegal, all gambling above personal games between friends like poker should be illegal

this is how it used to be. ahh, the good old days when lotteries were run by the mob...

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i call my friend an idiot for getting scratchers sometimes but he says 'well whatever I can afford to spend a few bucks once in a while and it's just fun scratching them.'

i can't really argue with that logic but at the same time it really is an idiot tax. it's whatever though I guess but where it gets evil is the states that are making apps or whatever for it.

I'm already a little disgusted with skinner box mobile games that take advantage of psychological exploits to make stupid amounts of money for nothing, just sucking money out of the economy, but if you made a lottery app that just took a dollar every time you hit the button and told you if you won or lost instantly (or after a little game maybe) I could just imagine some stupid gently caress sitting there and spending his rent on it in a day.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 3, 2015

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Here in the UK, the lottery company realised lately that takings are down because all the poors are shovelling their money into fixed odds betting machines at the bookies or online bingo, so they doubled the price of tickets in the hope that the millions of once a week players wouldn't notice the difference. That didn't work, and they realised a lot of people only play on a rollover. The solution: add 10 more balls so the chance of winning a jackpot drops by a factor of 5.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Soylent Yellow posted:

Here in the UK, the lottery company realised lately that takings are down because all the poors are shovelling their money into fixed odds betting machines at the bookies or online bingo, so they doubled the price of tickets in the hope that the millions of once a week players wouldn't notice the difference.

i mean did the people in charge even take business or economics classes or what?

"sales are down! what do? double price!"

loving morons lol. a public employee should get fired after that kind of gross incompetence.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Soylent Yellow posted:

Here in the UK, the lottery company realised lately that takings are down because all the poors are shovelling their money into fixed odds betting machines at the bookies or online bingo, so they doubled the price of tickets in the hope that the millions of once a week players wouldn't notice the difference. That didn't work, and they realised a lot of people only play on a rollover. The solution: add 10 more balls so the chance of winning a jackpot drops by a factor of 5.

yes, im sure this is exactly the logic they used

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I was once in a deli eating a delicious sub sandwich when a russian guy and an old man came in separately to buy scratch cards 20 dollar scratchcards

the russian dude won 500 dollars, got it right there and then and immediately spent half of it on more tickets and won nothing. he probably spent the other 250 but by then i'd finished my delicious sandwich and left

Maxwellsdemon
Nov 12, 2007
meh
Grimey Drawer
Lottery in June, corn be heavy soon.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
actually gambling owns if you are the one making money off it

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the biggest scratch card win i ever processed as a clerk was like 500 or 600 dollars. iirc they just opened a house account at the station and used it to pay for gas for a few months. which is about as small_town_america.txt as you can get lol

there was also the guy who went to my family's church who would come in twice a week and fill out one of those scantron tickets for the jackpot game. same numbers every time. then one day he came in and said he forgot to get a ticket last week and would've won $100k :pwn:

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Windows 98 posted:

People will literally spend $100-$300 a day for scratch tickets. They scratch them, pay out, buy more, repeat until they run out of money. Lotto really is a tax on the dumb. Never seen a smart healthy normal person playing a scratch ticket unless it's like a lovely birthday gift from an aunt who hates them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Moridin920 posted:

i call my friend an idiot for getting scratchers sometimes but he says 'well whatever I can afford to spend a few bucks once in a while and it's just fun scratching them.'

i can't really argue with that logic but at the same time it really is an idiot tax. it's whatever though I guess but where it gets evil is the states that are making apps or whatever for it.

I'm already a little disgusted with skinner box mobile games that take advantage of psychological exploits to make stupid amounts of money for nothing, just sucking money out of the economy, but if you made a lottery app that just took a dollar every time you hit the button and told you if you won or lost instantly (or after a little game maybe) I could just imagine some stupid gently caress sitting there and spending his rent on it in a day.

i don't gamble but being angry about apparently stable ppl like your friend or thinking they're idiots makes no sense to me at all, he's obviously paying for a temporary rush or some fleeting entertainment that's harder to quantify and not investing in his future

like you go eat at a nice restaurant for the fleeting experience of tasting good food or the social experience or whatever, but if you analyze it from a strict cost/benefit perspective the way "idiot tax" people analyze playing poker or scratch tickets you're just wasting money on something disposable that has the exact same result as if you cooked a bunch of beans at home (calories) and making a bad investment

it's all disposable income and life sucks rear end if you boil every financial transaction you make down to efficiency

• Locked thread