Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
My favorite radio station, KEXP out of Seattle is playing every song sampled on Paul's Botique back to back mixed with interviews and the actual songs on the album. Should be some great music, and a good way to learn more about one of the best albums ever.

Listen live here (or find it through the website):
http://live-aacplus-64.kexp.org/kexp64.aac

Playlist:
http://kexp.org/playlist

They are currently on "Shake Your Rump" and they have been playing songs for about an hour and they just played "Good Times Bad Times" by Led Zeppelin.

http://blog.kexp.org/kexp-steps-inside-pauls-boutique-on-friday-july-24/

Beginning at 6:00 a.m. PDT, KEXP DJs John Richards, Cheryl Waters, and Kevin Cole will meticulously dissect the album, playing all 15 album tracks, more than 100 sampled selections, and rare bonus tracks and demos, plus new interviews with album co-producers The Dust Brothers (John King and Mike Simpson) and an exclusive archival chat with the Beastie Boys aired throughout the day. It’s not unusual for KEXP to play sample-sourced artists like the Beatles, Afrika Bambaataa, and the Ramones on any given day, but the unpredictable-yet-cohesive composition of Paul’s Boutique will result in truly one-of-a-kind programming blocks: expect to hear spoken word artist Lightnin’ Rod, the R&B horn band Tower of Power, Bernard Herrmann’s iconic score from Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho, and the Eagles in close proximity.

A commercial flop upon release in 1989, Paul’s Boutique is now widely considered one of the best albums of the 1980s. The influence of the album’s sample-heavy style can be heard in artists ranging from Wu-Tang Clan leader RZA to the pioneering electronic group The Avalanches. An album like Paul’s Boutique is highly unlikely be created again due to the extensive sampling fees and licensing clearances needed to secure a legal, wide release. Rolling Stone ranked Paul’s Boutique at #156 of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time, while Pitchfork rated it #3 on its Top 100 Albums of the 1980s.

“I love that KEXP is taking the time to break down Paul’s Boutique,” says Dust Brother John King. “When we finished it we felt like it was an amazing work of art to listen to and it was made that way. It is wonderful to have, over the years, people continue to appreciate it. It gets me almost back to the place I was right when we finished it and I thought it was the greatest thing ever.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

this is cool as poo poo, ty for posting

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
i only read the first and last words of the op

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer
lol terrestrial radio

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

GUYS STOP posted:

lol terrestrial radio

as opposed to what

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

as opposed to what

Satellite. Read a book

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
listening now
nice find, op

Malinois
Jun 13, 2003

OMGVBFLOL posted:

this is cool as poo poo, ty for posting

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
You're welcome everyone. They have a streaming archive as well, so if you miss something or want to listen to something again, it will be available for 2 weeks after today.

It was neat to hear where this sample came from:
Rose Royce - 6 O'Clock DJ (Let's Rock)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNdDmYkMH_Y

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I had the shake your rump/ hey ladies cassette in my car for about a decade.

"Cassingle"

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

P-Mack posted:

Satellite. Read a book

uh im pretty sure your still listening to it on earth there buddy, lets not get ahead of ourselves

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
This track is awesome, love the drums. Alphonse Mouzon - "Funky Snakefoot"

Richard McBeef
Apr 21, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A fine day to be working from home. Thanks for making my day substantially less lovely.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

2 hours to get through track 3
Pink Floyd -> Curtis Blow to close up Johnny Ryall
This is pretty cool

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
Didn't know they sampled the Theme from Jaws and had some clips from E.T. in Eggman.

They're on High Plains Drifter now.

If you want to read ahead, this site seems to have everything already documented.

http://www.paulsboutique.info/songs.php

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

BossTweed posted:

You're welcome everyone. They have a streaming archive as well, so if you miss something or want to listen to something again, it will be available for 2 weeks after today.

It was neat to hear where this sample came from:
Rose Royce - 6 O'Clock DJ (Let's Rock)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNdDmYkMH_Y

nice
will def check this out later

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

BossTweed posted:

Didn't know they sampled the Theme from Jaws and had some clips from E.T. in Eggman.

They're on High Plains Drifter now.

If you want to read ahead, this site seems to have everything already documented.

http://www.paulsboutique.info/songs.php

They've made it to The Sound of science, I can never get enough of the sample from Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise).

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

OneStopShop posted:

They've made it to The Sound of science, I can never get enough of the sample from Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise).

It's crazy how many songs they sampled. They said this record wouldn't be possible to make today because getting the rights to the samples would cost so much. It only cost them $250,000 back when it was made.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
The Beastie Boys loving suck

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Nooner posted:

The Beastie Boys loving suck

Nah

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Man, I loving love KEXP. Been stoked on this since i saw it on facebook the other day

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

You can post the funny gif, but you think one of the coolest records ever is bad. Lol. You probably listen to Rush

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I'm definitely going to listen to the archive. Great album!

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

You can post the funny gif, but you think one of the coolest records ever is bad. Lol. You probably listen to Rush

Both Rush and Beastie Boys are good, shut up

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Rush is crap lol. So is pink floyd

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Rush is really good but I heard they are going to stop playing now cause their guitarist has bad arthritis ):

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Nooner posted:

Rush is really good but I heard they are going to stop playing now cause their guitarist has bad arthritis ):

Lol. Read you like a book you stupid bitch. "Rush is good and the Beastie Boys are bad." What is this bizarro world haha

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Lol. Read you like a book you stupid bitch. "Rush is good and the Beastie Boys are bad." What is this bizarro world haha

do you ever listen to ......... ska??

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
KEXP and HOT 103.7

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Cool, thanks OP.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Nooner posted:

......... ska??

......... nah..

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
This was the best find. Told everyone I know.
Thanks OP!

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe
So do they save things to be streamable after the fact?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Matey posted:

......... nah..

Dang Matey, I used to think you were cool :sigh:

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe
did/is anyone recording this?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Verily I Shat posted:

did/is anyone recording this?

Yeah bud, got your back

https://youtu.be/URuF3yx1_Yo

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Verily I Shat posted:

So do they save things to be streamable after the fact?

From their site it looks like yeah, it's up. But after two weeks it gets deleted/
Although this made a huge impact, so I wouldn't be surprised if they keep it up or something..

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Nooner posted:

Dang Matey, I used to think you were cool :sigh:

legit :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe

hell yeah, why cant SA share to FB???