Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

drat, I hate thinking about actors having to sacrifice their own health and wellbeing to entertain their audience because the props they are wearing are impacting their health.

Yeah, I mean, uncomfortable costuming is one thing, but drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

TV Zombie posted:

drat, I hate thinking about actors having to sacrifice their own health and wellbeing to entertain their audience because the props they are wearing are impacting their health.

I'm given to understand that Babylon 5's Andreas Katsulas got a terrible rash from the G'kar outfit, but pressed on because he loved the character so much. It's no coincidence that there were few Narns who were recurring roles...not a lot of people could hack wearing the outfit and mask for very long, including Julie Caitlin Brown who was otherwise outstanding as the first Na'Toth.

Which isn't to denigrate her or any of the other Narn actors, rather to praise Katsulas for gutting it out! :golfclap:

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
I hate to bring it up, but is there going to be a spoiler policy like in the other thread?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Daedleh posted:

I hate to bring it up, but is there going to be a spoiler policy like in the other thread?

That would be awesome, for those of us watching for the first time.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

docbeard posted:

What about spoilers?

I've seen all of Farscape before, so no one's going to be ruining any surprises for me. However, I'd prefer it if discussion didn't get ahead of the episode I'm currently watching, both because I think that makes for a more focused experience, and because I imagine there will be at least some people following along who are watching the show for the first time. I'm not gonna freak out about the occasional dropped hint about things to come (though please don't be cute or coy about things, you're not as good at it as you think you are), I'm just going to ask that you show some respect for the people around you.

So in short, yes, please avoid spoilers.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hey, it's been a while since the Farscape thread died/merged with the Stargate thread. I might have to break out the Blu-Rays and follow along.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

PlushCow posted:

I've watched through the series a couple times and I, ET is the first one that comes to mind that I dislike. Beyond the bland, scifi standard plot I remember they had a weird thing going on with the music in that one, like nothing but spooky tones, before they got to their usual standard background music choices.

I just started a rewatch, myself, and the music is actually the thing that bothers me most about the show overall. I've always loved the opening song, but I forgot how different the score for most episodes is from that. There's this one woodwind, I think a clarinet, that won't shut up in a lot of cues and it's driving me nuts. It just doesn't feel right for the aesthetic of the show, and actually dates it as a product of the late 90's more than anything else.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hey, it's been a while since the Farscape thread died/merged with the Stargate thread. I might have to break out the Blu-Rays and follow along.

Are the Blu-Rays any different than the DVDs transferwise? I know they lost the renders or masters or something and they were relying on the PAL tv broadcasts for the first 3 seasons.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

Are the Blu-Rays any different than the DVDs transferwise? I know they lost the renders or masters or something and they were relying on the PAL tv broadcasts for the first 3 seasons.

The video and audio quality is a lot better (the original DVD transfers they used were ancient) and the footage was upsampled to 1080p. The masters were scrapped in the early-2000s because the film was too "volatile" for long-term storage according to Brian Henson. The main attraction is you get lots and lots of commentaries.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 31, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

The video and audio quality is a lot better (the original DVD transfers they used were ancient) and the footage was upsampled to 1080p. The masters were scrapped in the early-2000s because the film was too "volatile" for long-term storage according to Brian Henson. The main attraction is you get lots and lots of commentaries.

Ah, I have the DVD re-release (not the ADV/Starburst release set is absolutely godawful from what I heard) so I was wondering if the quality was any different. I'll just watch them on streaming since dishing out another $80 is a bit much.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

If anyone gets the channel called Pivot, they tend to show marathons of Farscape and Peacekeeper Wars a lot (though not as much as they used to). And of course relentlessly advertise the blu-ray set.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I thought you'd at least make it to three reviews before bailing, docbeard.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I haven't bailed, I promise.

I just had twenty things explode at once. (Kind of like a Farscape episode, which it turns out are much more fun to watch than to live. Though I could get better drugs on Moya and I'd have a small army of wee robots to do ill-timed household repairs.)

There will be a new review as soon as I can catch my breath.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
So I'm rewatching Farscape for about the 50th time, and I can't help but think #CrackersDon'tMatter would be a nice companion to the #BlackLivesMatter movement.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Crackers Don't Matter is the best episode of Farscape; everyone is unhinged, but it goes dark as all hell in how unhinged they get while maintaining some important character traits. Chiana goes back to her Durka Returns method of survival of sex and murder, Aeryn allies with Rygel recognizing that he's too much of a coward to betray her, and D'Argo manages to avoid being his hyperrage one note self and acts paranoid but intelligently. Crichton shows his first real signs of cracking the hell up but manages to survive mainly because humans are inferior to the other species on the ship (which turns most sci-fi conventions on their head).The differing reactions of the crew don't stem from nowhere; they're just amplified emotions and thoughts in the back of their mind turned up to 11; so having Harvey telling Crichton to keep Chiana alive for later raping and murdering is something you wouldn't get in any other show.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 17, 2015

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Punch Card posted:

So I'm rewatching Farscape for about the 50th time, and I can't help but think #CrackersDon'tMatter would be a nice companion to the #BlackLivesMatter movement.

Do some more thinking. Because it would not.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I'm rewatching the series and I can't exactly fault SciFi for cancelling as much as I used to. Coming off a solid second season and absolutely stellar third season the fourth is an oftentimes meandering season full of one-off episodes that relate back to the worst lowpoints of the first season.

Coup by Clam is godawful.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yes. Until they get to Unrealized Realities, the fourth season is easily the worst place the show'd been beyond those early parts of season 2.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I love the show, but the best bits are any time Crichton embraces insanity. Browder does such an excellent job of portraying a guy that's narrowly holding it together through all the poo poo he's seen and then just letting it out of the box every dozen or so episodes.

Close runner up is Harvey and every interaction therein.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Ben Browder wrote Jon Quixote (and Green Eyed Monster) and I've got to say he does an amazing Crichton Headroom in that one. It's depressing how little work he's gotten outside of Farscape and Stargate.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 21, 2015

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I now have to wonder how the other cast members have fared post-Farscape. It would be unfortunate if they weren't able to get other roles.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

TV Zombie posted:

I now have to wonder how the other cast members have fared post-Farscape. It would be unfortunate if they weren't able to get other roles.

Gigi Edgley has a couple other tv shows other her belt and Claudia Black has been doing voice work for video games since the show ended basically. Tammy Macintosh (who played Jool) amazingly has like 300 episode credits in other TV shows since she left Farscape.

Anthony Simcoe, Paul Goddard, and Wayne Pygram basically have no major roles after Farscape.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 21, 2015

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

Anthony Simcoe, Paul Goddard, and Wayne Pygram basically have no major roles after Farscape.

Wayne Pygram did get to play Grand Moff Tarkin very briefly, though!

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I hope the reason Wayne Pygram is so scarce is because he's doing the same thing Londo Mollari's actor did. He realized he hit his peak role and just hosed off from show biz. You can't top Londo or Scorpius, why bother trying.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Apoplexy posted:

I hope the reason Wayne Pygram is so scarce is because he's doing the same thing Londo Mollari's actor did. He realized he hit his peak role and just hosed off from show biz. You can't top Londo or Scorpius, why bother trying.

I think he went back to doing Australian theater. Peter Jurasik also took the Avery Brooks route and teaches theater.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Claudia Black is gonna be on US television again in the fall I believe, on a CW show. Although it's a crime because 1) she's blonde in the show and 2) american accent

I could take one of those things but not both at the same time.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I don't think I've seen Rygel in anything else.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I don't think I've seen Rygel in anything else.

Because he's a puppet.

(The actor for Rygel died a few years ago :( )

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sober posted:

Claudia Black is gonna be on US television again in the fall I believe, on a CW show. Although it's a crime because 1) she's blonde in the show and 2) american accent

I could take one of those things but not both at the same time.

If she does the John Quixote accent I would be eternally happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKiJSjD-aAg

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Apoplexy posted:

Yes. Until they get to Unrealized Realities, the fourth season is easily the worst place the show'd been beyond those early parts of season 2.

It's pretty much just the season of "How can we swap Aeryn's baby around to as many characters as possible?"

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 25, 2015

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

docbeard posted:

So in short, yes, please avoid spoilers.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Edited.

It's easy to forget the spoiler thing when everyone in the thread has obviously already seen the entire show.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I haven't!

Though I got tired of waiting for the reviews so I'm 9 episodes in by now.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Regy Rusty posted:

I haven't!

Though I got tired of waiting for the reviews so I'm 9 episodes in by now.

So how's it going for you then??

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Farscape is such a great series. I don't think there will ever be a tv show like it again. Watching through season 3 again now.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

armoredgorilla posted:

So how's it going for you then??

I'm enjoying it. So far it feels a bit unfocused as aside from Crichton (who'd like to get back to Earth) I don't really have a sense of what any of the other characters want to do aside from the immediate goal of not getting recaptured. Not that it's that big a deal since just them being on the run is a fine excuse for all the weird places they're visiting.

I like that they haven't dropped a ton of exposition on me about the characters' backstories, but rather have been dripping it out bit by bit. It's evident that they all have things they want to keep secret from the others especially in regards to how they became prisoners. What I really want is to know more about the history of the ship and Pilot.

My favorite episode so far is the third one with the roaches. Especially the revelation that Sebaceans are cold blooded which is extremely amusing to me.

Oh and I am loving the muppet aliens. It allows for such a wide variety of creatures and aliens beyond "humanoid with makeup" or "bad CGI" and a lot of them are really cool looking.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 25, 2015

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm enjoying it. So far it feels a bit unfocused as aside from Crichton (who'd like to get back to Earth) I don't really have a sense of what any of the other characters want to do aside from the immediate goal of not getting recaptured. Not that it's that big a deal since just them being on the run is a fine excuse for all the weird places they're visiting.

I like that they haven't dropped a ton of exposition on me about the characters' backstories, but rather have been dripping it out bit by bit. It's evident that they all have things they want to keep secret from the others especially in regards to how they became prisoners. What I really want is to know more about the history of the ship and Pilot.

My favorite episode so far is the third one with the roaches. Especially the revelation that Sebaceans are cold blooded which is extremely amusing to me.
If you've finished episode 9 then technically everyone else is trying to get home because they're all prisoners. which is why they were all so ... aggressive in trading one of Pilot's arms to get the star chart data. Also, I dunno if it's a spoiler but the events of DNA Mad Scientist sorta ripples forward into the show quite often which is nice.

I think one of the things I love about the cast is sometimes they all completely just act against one another even when up against a common goal, which is absolutely hilarious to see go down.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sober posted:

If you've finished episode 9 then technically everyone else is trying to get home because they're all prisoners. which is why they were all so ... aggressive in trading one of Pilot's arms to get the star chart data. Also, I dunno if it's a spoiler but the events of DNA Mad Scientist sorta ripples forward into the show quite often which is nice.

I think one of the things I love about the cast is sometimes they all completely just act against one another even when up against a common goal, which is absolutely hilarious to see go down.

I was actually just starting episode 9 when I wrote my earlier post so I just got to this. Holy poo poo poor Pilot, that's so sad. :smith: These guys are jerks.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

What I really want is to know more about the history of the ship and Pilot.

There's some good stuff coming about this later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Episode 9 was extremely good and blew everything else the show has done so far out of the water.

• Locked thread