Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Regy Rusty posted:

Episode 9 was extremely good and blew everything else the show has done so far out of the water.

Ep 10 is gonna up some of that curiosity about Moya and D'argo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

So, how much longer before the thread title has to be changed to "Docbeard Doesn't Review Farscape"?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Regy Rusty posted:

Episode 9 was extremely good and blew everything else the show has done so far out of the water.

Time to watch that episode again.

As an aside, does the series seemed to have aged for anyone? I tried selling the show to someone before, and he couldn't get into it because it was weird and the muppet aliens didn't appeal to him, which I guess makes sense when he's used to CGI in his sci fi shows.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm totally down with muppets.

armoredgorilla posted:

Ep 10 is gonna up some of that curiosity about Moya and D'argo.

It certainly did!

I'm really getting into this show now.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I, E.T. is kinda just whatever for the most part but I really think episodes 3-8 actually had some interesting stuff to bring to the table. Probably not S3 quality or even modern age TV standards, but good (Farscape S3 is as good as current TV, IMO, or even better) all things considered.

TV Zombie posted:

Time to watch that episode again.

As an aside, does the series seemed to have aged for anyone? I tried selling the show to someone before, and he couldn't get into it because it was weird and the muppet aliens didn't appeal to him, which I guess makes sense when he's used to CGI in his sci fi shows.
It gets a little hairy with CGI Rygel but the puppets are still good (I mean, look at Pilot for gently caress's sake) almost all the time. Your friend isn't one of those weird people that can't stand 4:3, is he?

I also think the 50 minute episode thing kinda drags at times, I think they finally stopped that after season 1?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If I have any problem with FarScape, it's pretty much how some major, major plot elements seem to get flushed at the drop of a hat. The whole thing with Talon kind of drove me nuts; killing him like they did along with Crease - who didn't even leave the show since he voiced Pilot; to the point I absolutely positively believed they were going to appear again in the show, and somehow survived the Starburst was one example. And I'm someone who really digs abrupt deaths and changes to a story, so that wasn't my issue exactly.

Also I'm sure it was something with the actor's schedule but I really missed Stark when he wandered off. He might be my favorite character on the ship.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Well, for Stark, it is weird he just shows up/disappears all the time. I guess they didn't have to plot out entire seasons back in the day or something. He's really odd, sometimes he's entirely there, other times throughout the series he just goes and disappears or reappears like no one's business.

Also re: Talon/Crais, they kinda reached their conclusions by the end. I don't know what you mean when their plots get dropped. They literally died in the finale and all their development was built up the whole time. Talon kept going insane/aggressive to the point of attacking Moya/being uncontrollable, so they had to put him down. And Crais was finished anyways, he was backed into a corner, the PKs wouldn't take him back and all that either amongst other things..

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sober posted:

Well, for Stark, it is weird he just shows up/disappears all the time. I guess they didn't have to plot out entire seasons back in the day or something. He's really odd, sometimes he's entirely there, other times throughout the series he just goes and disappears or reappears like no one's business.

It's really jarring the first time that happens. Both times I've watched The Locket I've thought I must have skipped an episode because he's just suddenly there and it's not till a couple of scenes later that they say "Oh yeah, he arrived a couple of days ago." And that's all the explanation you get. Where did he come from? How did he find them? Does he have a ship? :iiam:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
It's Talyn, not Talon. :colbert:

Stark disappears in the first season and reappears in the second with the excuse of 'returning the transport pod'.

Also the trader alien Rygel is bargaining with in the pilot is a one off puppet, and was so large that it took up the whole room they were shooting in. Somebody messed up the dimensions when they were making it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Regy Rusty posted:

I haven't!

Though I got tired of waiting for the reviews so I'm 9 episodes in by now.

I don't think docbeard is coming back, so maybe you should take over and do the reviews? :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

I don't think docbeard is coming back, so maybe you should take over and do the reviews? :v:

Ha, I know I don't have the determination to stick with a project like that. I'd rather watch a few episodes at a time and work my way through the series at a faster pace than reviews would require.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I was thinking if there still aren't any reviews when I get back from vacation next week I'll just start posting some. Not much better to do with my mornings right now!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Okay I just watched Jeremiah Chrichton. After all the hype over it in the thread I was expecting something worse. I didn't love it and thought it was kinda dumb, but it had some entertaining parts. Nowhere near the worst episode this season so far. That would be either PK Tech Girl or... no it was Rhapsody in Blue. What a snorefest that one was. Zhaan is by far my least favorite character.

Actually The Flax wasn't very good either, I've kinda had a bad run of episodes lately.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I'm actually surprised at the differences of opinion people have on certain episodes. I think most people loved PK Tech Girl, so I'm surprised you didn't. But Rhapsody in Blue was kinda boring for me as well.

And then yeah Jeremiah Crichton is not that offensively bad or anything, and I like certain episodes later on that people hate, and vice versa.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

At least Durka Returns was pretty great. That's a good way to cap off this evening. I dunno how much Farscape goes in for recurring aliens but I hope the mind control dudes show up again at some point, they seem like they'd make good villains or something. Also I hope the girl doesn't just immediately disappear at the start of the next episode, though I have a feeling she will.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

At least Durka Returns was pretty great. That's a good way to cap off this evening. I dunno how much Farscape goes in for recurring aliens but I hope the mind control dudes show up again at some point, they seem like they'd make good villains or something. Also I hope the girl doesn't just immediately disappear at the start of the next episode, though I have a feeling she will.

Chiana pretty much joins the cast forever, and she's amazing. If someone thinks that's actually a spoiler I will have to fight you.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sober posted:

Chiana pretty much joins the cast forever, and she's amazing. If someone thinks that's actually a spoiler I will have to fight you.

Yaaaaaaaaay!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
It's taken me until midseason of Season 4 to notice but Aeryn's hairstyle changes basically every season. The last season either they gave her a wig or they stopped giving a crap because it looks terrible.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
Durka pops his head in a few times later

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Heh.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Regy Rusty posted:

If you're past Durka Returns, you're pretty much through the briar patch or bad episodes for season one.

But yeah not liking pk tech girl? I look so disapproving right now.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I don't think there's really much consensus on what is solidly a "bad" episode of Farscape barring a few actual stinkers. For instance I liked the S4 episode "Mental as Anything" but apparently a good portion of people hated it, which was actually confusing. Don't need to discuss the actual specifics of that episode but I thought that was one of the odder ones to dislike considering what the episode was about.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Regy Rusty posted:

Actually The Flax wasn't very good either, I've kinda had a bad run of episodes lately.

I didn't mind The Flax, but the dumb joke at the end about Rhys Muldoon's character being a woman ruins it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh my godddd A Human Reaction is so good

SEVEN MONTHS OLD!

But I've never been........... IN THERE!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

2house2fly posted:

I was thinking if there still aren't any reviews when I get back from vacation next week I'll just start posting some. Not much better to do with my mornings right now!

This should become a 'round table review of Farscape' instead of a Docbeard one: Any random goon takes the next the episode with no expectations for having to do another one. I'm sure there will always be one poster willing to tackle the next episode. If we end up with two people doing the same episode, oh well, two reviews are better than one?

Because yeah, at this pace, this is not happening.

Sober posted:

It's really a shame the superhero movie craze didn't happen back when Farscape was on the air because to this day I kind of think of her as Harley-Quinn as an alien. Just the way she moves, talks, acts, pretty much everything. She'd been spot-on casting.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 28, 2015

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh my godddd A Human Reaction is so good

SEVEN MONTHS OLD!

But I've never been........... IN THERE!

A shame this will never again be relevant in the series.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So, uh, WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL FARSCAPE WATCHING EXPERIENCE, COMPLETE WITH LONG HIATUSES FOR NO GOOD REASON. Or it turns out that it's hard to get momentum back on a silly internet project once you get clobbered with a bunch of stupid bullshit to deal with. But yeah, excuses don't matter, I am sorry for collapsing on y'all like this.

Blazing Ownager posted:

This should become a 'round table review of Farscape' instead of a Docbeard one: Any random goon takes the next the episode with no expectations for having to do another one. I'm sure there will always be one poster willing to tackle the next episode. If we end up with two people doing the same episode, oh well, two reviews are better than one?

For the record, I 100% agree with this. Or, for that matter, I'm happy to see this thread be general chatting about a very good TV show for as long as that's sustainable.

I still plan on writing reviews as I watch through Farscape again, but talk is cheap, plans are nothing til they're executed, I don't expect anyone to hang around waiting on me, and I'm glad you didn't.

(But seriously, if you were watching when it was originally airing on Sci Fi, my god, the long breaks.)

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

TV Zombie posted:

I now have to wonder how the other cast members have fared post-Farscape. It would be unfortunate if they weren't able to get other roles.

Melissa Jaffer, who played Noranti, is in the new Mad Max movie. She's great.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

anotherone posted:

And Immortan Joe is Grunchlk

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

anotherone posted:

:aaa:

Deceptive Thinker posted:

:aaaaa:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

I knew he looked familiar!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
OH HOLY poo poo

I recognized the lady who played Noranti, but I had no idea about Immortan Joe. That's amazing. Of all the actors I never expected to see again...

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Greenchalk :colbert:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Also Zahn was in The Road Warrior. She was the Warrior Woman.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ummm so Chiana owns.

Nerve: She just flambéd the commander of that Peacekeeper base.

This has been an awesome episode with tons of setup like the creepy torture dude working on wormholes and the reveal that Crichton has secret info in his brain.

TO BE CONTINUED!

As long as no one minds I'll keep posting my thoughts like this as I move through the series.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Regy Rusty posted:

Ummm so Chiana owns.

Nerve: She just flambéd the commander of that Peacekeeper base.

This has been an awesome episode with tons of setup like the creepy torture dude working on wormholes and the reveal that Crichton has secret info in his brain.

TO BE CONTINUED!

As long as no one minds I'll keep posting my thoughts like this as I move through the series.

I always enjoy it, fun to see a new person make their way through a series.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Okay I've got a lot to say about episode 20

Poor PK Tech Girl. I'm sorry I said I didn't like your first episode. I'll take it back. :(

I was disappointed at first that Aeryn didn't just outright kill Crais but her little "I'll give you your life" thing was too cool so I forgive her. I actually was expecting Crais to die from that too as they seemed to be setting up a transition from him to Scorpius as the main person chasing them, but there's probably room for both I expect.

What the hell is up with weird glowing head guy? Is he going to stick around? Why does his head glow?? These questions are rhetorical.

I loved the payoff to the half season long plotline of Moya's weird baby. Hopefully it'll end up being a useful ally since it could fight if they get caught again.

Overall a really solid outing for Farscape's first two-parter. I think I'll plow on through to the season finale tonight.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
You're experiencing the part where the show goes from good to grand. I love it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Apoplexy posted:

You're experiencing the part where the show goes from good to grand. I love it.

I kinda get that feeling! It feels a lot more focused than it did in the early season.

Bone to be Wild: Lol Zhaan's a plant. Now I know why she was enjoying the solar flares so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That finale :stare:

What a cruel cliffhanger! If I weren't so tired I'd watch the next one right now, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

The burning of the moon was super cool.

• Locked thread