Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Welp this town is obviously haunted.

We have a moral obligation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I'm tempted to throw crap at the barkeep, but he did make us that ridiculous drink, so he gets a pass.

Inspect our surroundings in more detail. Look for people. If we find any, ask them wtf.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Check our pockets for anything useful and/or amusing.

Since our shirt was ripped off, check to see if we have any tattoos. Maybe we saw 'Momento' at one point.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Music

This town must be haunted. You are as sure of it as you are sure that the town is haunted. Time to investigate.

First, your own clothes. Ghosts may be hiding anywhere.

YOUR POSESSIONS
  • Shirt (Badly damaged)
  • Other clothes (Cosmetically damaged)
  • The Sagas (Has lantern oil on the cover)
  • A lantern
  • Twenty dollars!
  • Zero tattoos :(

gently caress yes, you're rich. You can buy anything your heart desires.

You search the area around you. The first thing you notice is that the building across the street from the tavern is also a tavern. The second thing you notices is that all of the buildings are taverns. That sure is a lot of taverns, and they all look reasonably busy. At least, busier than the street. There's nobody outside but you. You head into an alleyway - not the one that you just ran out of - and search for clues there.

You see an advertisement for a carnival that's coming to town in a few days, a dead rat, and a few scraps of nondescript trash. Words cannot describe that trash.

You look around the street at the other end of the alley and find nothing but taverns. You make sure they aren't all the same tavern and you feel a little calmer when you find that you aren't trapped in some hellish dimension of nothing but the same tavern repeated forever.

What do you do? If you enter a tavern, please enter the name of the tavern.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Dollars, eh?

Inspect the money for marks of nationality and minting date

Check the sagas for publication date

Collect the nondescript trash. We can use it to stall someone by asking them to describe it.

Walk to the edge of town. Try to remember if this matches what we saw on the way into town. Look in the window of a few taverns and see how normal/consistent the customers look.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Find empty tavern. Settle down and become local new bartender.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Nyaa posted:

Find empty tavern. Settle down and become local new bartender.

That's not how we do things here :colbert:

A multiple step plan:

1:) Go to a tavern, and 'take out the trash' in true cowboy fashion.

2:) After that, murder everybody that is left in true viking fashion.

3:) Loot, pillage and take over the tavern that is now yours by the right of blood.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Theantero posted:

That's not how we do things here :colbert:
but my bartender sim... :boehner:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Nyaa posted:

but my bartender sim... :boehner:

Well see I have no problem with becoming a bartender, it's just the initial procurement that needed to be corrected.

Our selling point can be the fact that we're not a ghost unlike all the other bartenders.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Your money consists of twenty dollar coins minted in the United States in 1850. The Sagas doesn't have any sort of informational page, it just goes straight to the stories. You put that down, stuff some nondescript trash into your pocket, and pick the book back up. You need a backpack or something.

Time to investigate the town!

Music

You start walking in one direction. The road gently curves to the left and all of the taverns you pass look pretty normal to you. None of them are empty, either, even though nobody is on the street but you. After walking down this road for a while you decide that it's probably going to keep curving left forever, so you take an alley to your right. The road it leads to also curves to the left, and all of the buildings are taverns. You're sure this isn't what you saw on the way into town, even if you are a bit drunk.

Hey, is that a dog?

That's totally a dog. There's a dog looking at you from an alley.

What do you do?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Become best friends with the dog. Do not name him Roscoe.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Music Theory posted:

Your money consists of twenty dollar coins minted in the United States in 1850.
Woah. Forget the face value, that's a double eagle, containing more than $1000 worth of gold.

Become best friends with the dog. Name him Roscoe.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

In the Honor of the Sagas, adopt the dog and name him Sleipnir. Until we find a horse (which we should readily get to as we are a Cowboy), after which we shall name the horse Sleipnir and abandon the dog for life is merciless and the dog has to learn the ways of this cruel World.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Ask dog: "Dog, why can't I go right?

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Become best friends with the dog. Name him Roscoe.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Ralith posted:

Woah. Forget the face value, that's a double eagle, containing more than $1000 worth of gold.

I think you misunderstood, I meant twenty separate $1 coins. :v:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Music Theory posted:

I think you misunderstood, I meant twenty separate $1 coins. :v:
$1 coins minted in 1850 were either silver or gold; twenty of them would be roughly $500 or $1000 present day melt value respectively :v:

Try to find an empty tavern to explore. Keep an eye out for anything that doesn't match along the way.

e: basically $20 in 1850 dollars was a whole lot of money and the coinage reflects that

Ralith fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 27, 2015

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

FOOLS ALL OF YOU! Roscoe is a cursed name wrought in misery.

I change my vote to Not Roscoe.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

name it Roscoe

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
If all the roads curve left, that means there must be a center somewhere. Go in a straight line down alleys towards the center. Bring Roscoe.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

You're gonna be that dog's best friend and you're gonna name it Roscoe.

You walk towards it. It keeps staring. You reach down to pet it. It runs down the alley.

Music

Why are dogs so fast!? You stumble over some debris in alleyways, but you don't lose sight of it. It jumps onto some boxes then leaps over a fence, which you then climb over. You almost fall on your face after jumping off it it, but you manage to keep your footing. You've almost lost the dog now, but you put on a quick burst of speed and catch up.

You've been traveling through alleyways towards what you think is the center of town. At this point, the taverns are starting to look different; there's more light in them and the patrons sometimes wear strange clothes. You keep chasing the dog.

drat, this is a speedy dog.

It stops and turns around in an alley between two buildings made of metal.

"Why are you following me?"

What do you do?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

dog kisser posted:

Become best friends with the dog. Do not name him Roscoe.

Music Theory posted:

You're gonna be that dog's best friend and you're gonna name it Roscoe.

Dammit.

edit: Also just be honest and say: "Dog - Roscoe - I'm drunk. I don't know where I am or what's happening. I honestly just need to sit for a second and pet a dog and think."
edit2: Haha gently caress, no, what Nyaa said VVVV

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 28, 2015

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

On my knee, kowtow to dog God.

"I am your humble stead. Let me carry you to our destination."

Offer Roscoe piggyback ride.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Nyaa posted:

On my knee, kowtow to dog God.

"I am your humble stead. Let me carry you to our destination."

Offer Roscoe piggyback ride.

Yes.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

A drunkard knows no boundaries, be they physical or mental! Unphased by the talking dog, you offer to carry him to his destination.

"What?" He looks confused. "Oh, you must be drunk. I guess it can't be helped."

He turns around and says "Follow me. I do not wish to be carried."

Music

The two of you walk for hours in the direction you were running earlier. The buildings around you look stranger and stranger as you head deeper into the town; the one you're passing right now has multicolored electric lights and what must be an extremely high quality phonograph. The sun never moves from its noon position, there's never a cloud in the sky, and the temperature stays at 75° Fahrenheit. Even so, most of the bars look like they would at night, and some have rain or snow.

At this point, your legs feel numb and your eyelids droop. You ask the dog if you can rest.

"Yes. I will wait here."

Where do you go to rest?
A) A tavern. If you vote for this, write the name of the tavern, too.
B) With the dog.
C) Outside a tavern, but away from the dog.
D) Something else.

Here's a Spotify playlist of all of the songs so far.

Music Theory fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 29, 2015

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

TOGETHER IN RAIN AND SNOW, ROSCOE! :qq:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
B

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Eh why not. B

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
B. There is no way we could abandon a taling dog who may or may not be named Roscoe.

If his buddy Koko shows up, though, all bets are off.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Buddies!!

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

You sit down next to the dog.

Music

"I suppose you want to know my name." He raises a paw towards you and says, "I am called Floyd Louis, but that will be Mr. Louis to you."

You shake his hand and tell him your name.

"You probably also wish to know what this place is."

You nod.

"To be frank, I'm not quite sure myself. However, I have never seen any building here that was not a tavern. I have never reached the outer edge of this 'town,' if there is one at all. Also," He turns his head towards a red glowing sign, "I believe that the circular roads each correspond to a certain period of time, meaning that you can 'travel through time' by going to another road."

You put on a suitably astonished look.

"Sadly, I have been unable to find a way back to the normal world."

The two of you lean against a wall and rest for some time.

You may ask the dog questions.

Eventually, Mr. Louis stands and says "I am going to the 'center' of the town. You may follow me if you wish."

What do you do?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Music Theory posted:

You may ask the dog questions.

"Have you always been a dog?"

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Theantero posted:

"Have you always been a dog?"

"Yes."

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

"How do you know it's the center? Did you measure it from the border?"

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Nyaa posted:

"How do you know it's the center? Did you measure it from the border?"

"All of the main roads we have passed thus far have curved in exactly the same way, correct? I have never seen and end to one of these roads, so I believe that they are circular. When I refer to the center, I mean the center of the roads."

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
What is your opinion of cats?

Do you know who my father is?

Why can't I poop?

Have you tried to bite anybody here?

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

stevey666 posted:

What is your opinion of cats?

Do you know who my father is?

Why can't I poop?

Have you tried to bite anybody here?

"They tend to avoid me, so I haven't had the chance to talk to one. Also, there don't seem to be any here."

"No?"

"..."

"I might, if you continue to ask questions like the last two."

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

"Have you try walking off the road before ?"

"What's the last thing you remember before coming here?"

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 30, 2015

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Nyaa posted:

"Have you try walking off the road before ?"

"What's the last thing you remember before coming here?"

"I have never seen any way to leave this town."

"I was sleeping in a tavern that I had slept in many times before."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

"How did you leave the tavern?"

"Does the bartender stop you from leaving?"

"Is there a Viking saga in your room?"

"Is your bartender a dog?"

"How do you survive for so long? Where can I find food and money beside the tavern?"

• Locked thread