Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

RareAcumen posted:

This game is continuing to look really good. I'm worried about if there's a reason that no one has managed to get an LP of it started beforehand on here.

We're, what, about five hours in? Finishing the game takes closer to 40. It's highly LP resistant simply because it's long and extremely detail oriented, so it's a drain on any LPer regardless of quality or how much they like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

RareAcumen posted:

This game is continuing to look really good. I'm worried about if there's a reason that no one has managed to get an LP of it started beforehand on here.

To be fair, between sidequests, collectibles, extra dungeons, and the main game itself, this is a looooooooooong game.

IIRC we are just about midway through Disc 1 out of 4.

Edit: Ninja'd!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CmdrKing posted:

We're, what, about five hours in? Finishing the game takes closer to 40. It's highly LP resistant simply because it's long and extremely detail oriented, so it's a drain on any LPer regardless of quality or how much they like it.

Maybe it's just not popular enough to have grabbed people's attention beforehand I guess.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

that also plays a part yes. Basically it takes a rare LPer to get through a full tilt JRPG like this, and Lost Odyssey is a bit obscure so it hasn't found that LPer yet.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
I'm a new guy at this, I'm unpolished and inexperienced, but I can guarantee you this LP will be to completion. It might not have the quality and practiced presentation of the big names of LP, but I've been wanting to do this for a long time and I intend to see it through. I'll do every bonus dungeon and boss as well. I'm not going to 100% every minor sidequest because really who wants to watch that though.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Sgt Thud posted:

I'm not going to 100% every minor sidequest because really who wants to watch that though.

Definitely the right decision. Holy crap this game sometimes.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

CmdrKing posted:

Definitely the right decision. Holy crap this game sometimes.

Well most of the lesser stuff is just "Go to X place and find the hidden thingy" or "Run in circles around the world delivering poo poo." It's not like you'd miss much by me not showing it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
If you decide to do some sidequests offscreen and they aren't that fun, maybe either do a slideshow of the important bits (what the person who gives you the quest says, where you end up going, and what you get for it) at the beginning of a video. Or, hell, just do a few screenshots.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

JT Jag posted:

If you decide to do some sidequests offscreen and they aren't that fun, maybe either do a slideshow of the important bits (what the person who gives you the quest says, where you end up going, and what you get for it) at the beginning of a video. Or, hell, just do a few screenshots.

Yeah, it seems a shame to exclude material entirely. TBH you could just list stuff not shown in the video when you post updates.

Fake edit: Or if it's stuff you're not doing at all, maybe just summarise it at the end. I haven't played this so don't know how faffy the sidequests are, but if there's no interesting content at all then we don't really need to see it.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Kegluneq posted:

Yeah, it seems a shame to exclude material entirely. TBH you could just list stuff not shown in the video when you post updates.

Fake edit: Or if it's stuff you're not doing at all, maybe just summarise it at the end. I haven't played this so don't know how faffy the sidequests are, but if there's no interesting content at all then we don't really need to see it.

Yeah, I'll see how things go down the line. The next episode has one minor sidequest done in a series of short jump cuts since it's fairly mundane, for example. I'll try not to just completely leave stuff out, but I'm not gonna try and 100% everything or we'd be here forever. There is one DLC dungeon and superboss in this game, which I have not purchased, so I'll wait till near the endgame to find out if people are interested enough to warrant getting and doing that as well.

Sgt Thud fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 24, 2015

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Been looking forward to someone completing this for a long time. It's one of the few 360 RPGs out there that are actually pretty good (in my opinion) and had a lot of good ideas, even though some of them weren't executed well. The way you are doing the LP is very well done and I am liking the interaction between all of you. Hope you guys keep it going :)

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Alright friends, new update time! We've been set free to explore Numara, and that's precisely what we'll do. Join us as we play tag, humor dumb children, defend some flowers, and more!

Episode 8: Switzerland - Youtube(Uncut) | Polsy(Uncut)

Musical Selections
The Capital of Numara
Parting Forever

And we've got a new Dream as well! This one is a bit different from the others so far. This Dream was found by overhearing the off-duty prison guard in Virno's Tavern discuss how he doesn't understand why the inmates are so rowdy.

In the Mind of a Captive - Youtube | Polsy | Transcript

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

He may be an evil prick, but past!Gongora sure as hell looked snazzy.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Poor Kaim. Is this game seriously going to make me sad every time I watch a video or read a transcript? :(

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

This poo poo right here is why I've been asking for an LP of this game for years.

Incidentally, in your unedited videos could you up the game volume a little, it's almost inaudible compared to you guys talking.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

JT Jag posted:

This poo poo right here is why I've been asking for an LP of this game for years.

Incidentally, in your unedited videos could you up the game volume a little, it's almost inaudible compared to you guys talking.

Yeah, sorry I was trying to avoid the game and us just muddling together if we talk at the same time, and we talk often enough that auto-ducking tends to sound spastic. I'll fiddle with it some more and try and find a happy medium.

EDIT: I do all the sound editing with headphones on, so maybe try that? I'm listening to it right now with my headphones on and the game sounds pretty reasonably audible even with us.

Sgt Thud fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 28, 2015

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Wow.

You don't tend to see parents as main protagonists in jRPGs, not to mention grandparents.

That's quite a shame, because (grand)parents are the True Heroes™

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Yeah at this point the game decides this has all been way to generic and happy so lets punch the player in the feelings. Its different, I'll give it that.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Well, that put a damper on an already lovely rear end day. :smith:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I wish this game had a PC port

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It may not have Uncharted 3 levels of face-tech but:

This game is amazing.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
drat. That was incredibly well played out. Wonder if the descendants the immortals are somehow a threat to Gongora or is he just an evil prick?

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Y'know, this is a total tangent but Kaim has a nifty design on the shirt he wears under his breastplate. Rather appropriate that it seems to have a phoenix design on the sleeve, considering, y'know, he doesn't stay dead. Or ever die in the first place, technically. Actually, does the game ever address what happens when an immortal suffers a lethal injury? I know the KO and getting back up thing is a gameplay thing, but outside of that do the immortals just black out and are basically clinically dead before spontaneously resuscitating on their own? Then again the game so far doesn't seem to want to dwell on the specifics of how immortality works, preferring instead to focus on the psychological effects of being immortal. Which the game does quite well, I might add.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Got another dream for you all to help tide over until the next full episode. This one was found in Virno's Tavern as well, by talking to a man drinking at the bar.

A Mother Comes Home - Youtube | Polsy | Transcript

RareAcumen posted:

This game is amazing.

You're now our favorite person for bothering to capture those two moments in shareable form!

Slaan posted:

Poor Kaim. Is this game seriously going to make me sad every time I watch a video or read a transcript? :(

Nah, honestly the sad stuff is somewhat frontloaded in this game. We'll start getting more chipper or at least more heartwarming stuff soon enough.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Even when they're happy, their primary purpose is to show how hosed Kaim's life is.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Update time! So last time was sad! This time is less sad! There's mud! Snakes! A boat! Also sad!

Episode 9 - Fond Farewells: Dailymotion(Uncut) | Polsy(Uncut)

Musical Selections
Gongoras Plot
Kaettu Kuru, Kitto (Piano Version)

Fake Edit: So Youtube's Content ID copyright thing is convinced the Cut Commentary video has a song called Oceania by Serge Elmalem in it, so unfortunately I had to find a substitute host, which is why you get good ol' Dailymotion. Sorry, hopefully it won't happen again.

vvvvvvvv: Thanks, I'm having a great day it seems.

Sgt Thud fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 6, 2015

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Sgt Thud posted:

[url=http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x34hxyi[/url]Dailymotion(Uncut)

Might want to doublecheck your brackets, there.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Well, I must say if you need to kill someone, a giant loving snake is a pretty good bet.

Really well done funeral.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 4, 2015

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

That was a very touching funeral

and very unique scene in general

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
I'm not crying, dammit! It's hot and my eyes are sweating.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I love the whiplash between the excellent funeral scene and SNAKEFACE.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Seriously, SNAKEFACE is like something straight out of a B horror movie, and it's wedged in between an emotional turmoil sandwich.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sgt Thud posted:

You're now our favorite person for bothering to capture those two moments in shareable form!

Imgur has a video gif function and that's all I used to make those. :shobon:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I want someone to die being awesome and not just a little pathetic. Also I love Kaim getting vindictive~ That's just really beautiful in a way. He should be so pissed that he will go to the end of time making that man suffer.

Geez there is so much depth to this game that it's a shame it never really kicked off.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

That was a lovely funeral scene. It was definitely a great example of how to integrate minigame instructions with narrative as well.

With that said, I don't really think their method of body disposal is that well thought through. Kinda expecting Decaying Corpse Lirum to drift back to shore in a few days, on a bed of rotting flowers. Also, why would a culture that buries its dead at sea go to a forest to remember/speak with them? (I'm sure we'll find out!)

JT Jag posted:

Seriously, SNAKEFACE is like something straight out of a B horror movie, and it's wedged in between an emotional turmoil sandwich.
The scenes with Gongora in are weird, the voice acting and writing just takes such a dive it's hilarious.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Kegluneq posted:

That was a lovely funeral scene. It was definitely a great example of how to integrate minigame instructions with narrative as well.

With that said, I don't really think their method of body disposal is that well thought through. Kinda expecting Decaying Corpse Lirum to drift back to shore in a few days, on a bed of rotting flowers. Also, why would a culture that buries its dead at sea go to a forest to remember/speak with them? (I'm sure we'll find out!)

I think it's just that the forest is probably magical and thus has some sort of mind fuckery to make people remember lost loved ones or something like that.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Lazy Bear posted:

I'm not crying, dammit! It's hot and my eyes are sweating.

Man, it's so hot outside still. How can I not sweat when its still so hot? :(

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Got a longer update for you guys today as we cover the Crimson Forest and it's various flora and fauna. There's frogs! Me getting caught on geometry again! Cackling balloon goblins!

EDIT: Cut Commentary is fixed.

Episode 10: Puberty is Weird - Youtube(Uncut) | Polsy(Uncut)

I've also got another dream for you to watch/read. Hasn't been a terribly sad one in a while, and this one won't really break the streak. One of the longer dreams though. We found this one by talking to the girl and her father at Uhra's train station.

Little Liar - Youtube | Polsy | Transcript

Sgt Thud fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 10, 2015

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

The video stopped at the 17 minute mark at least on the cut. Yeah uncut is fine, but Cut has the video black out at 17 minutes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Zain posted:

The video stopped at the 17 minute mark at least on the cut. Yeah uncut is fine, but Cut has the video black out at 17 minutes in.

Alright, I'll look into it. It was fine before I uploaded it.

Edit: ok yeah, something goofed in the upload process, lemme see about fixing it. Sorry guys.

• Locked thread