Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Ooof, I hear that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Took some doing, but it's time for a new update! It's my least favorite dungeon! It's a cave! It has bats! Backtracking! A tedious boss fight! A terrible joke about terrible light novel writing! (Sorry for not cutting it.)

Episode 14: Mount Moon - Youtube(Uncut) | Polsy(Uncut)

Comes with the usual side order of a transcript. This dream was found by approaching a child on a bridge in Numara.

The Talkative Mercenary: Transcript

Sgt Thud fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 10, 2015

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002
Oh boy I am glad I bought this game. Not sure if it was mentioned, but it took way too long for me to notice how awesome the "world map" music is. Looking at youtube comments it seems I ain't alone.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
Jensen's quick, little "Liar." is beautiful.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

BernieLomax posted:

Oh boy I am glad I bought this game. Not sure if it was mentioned, but it took way too long for me to notice how awesome the "world map" music is. Looking at youtube comments it seems I ain't alone.

Yeah I never leave it lingering long enough in the videos, but after a minute or two a kickin' guitar bit comes in and it's pretty great. I should have it in the music list if anyone wants a listen, under the title Neverending Journey.

Also, next update is commentated and just waiting for me to edit the audio. It's a shorter one since we're coming up on a bigger than usual dungeon which will likely take up either 2 videos or a really long video. Disc 2 is also almost over already, and then we'll be at my favorite disc.

Sgt Thud fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 13, 2015

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Sgt Thud posted:

Yeah I never leave it lingering long enough in the videos, but after a minute or two a kickin' guitar bit comes in and it's pretty great. I should have it in the music list if anyone wants a listen, under the title Neverending Journey.

Also, next update is commentated and just waiting for me to edit the audio. It's a shorter one since we're coming up on a bigger than usual dungeon which will likely take up either 2 videos or a really long video. Disc 2 is also almost over already, and then we'll be at my favorite disc.

Just caught wind of this thread. I am excited.

This game was the first JRPG I could get my not at all interested in games wife to pay attention to, she'd come running down whenever I discovered a new dream.

Are you going to show off the DLC as well?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's kind of odd how we just met our forgotten family and they're most of our party. I'd have figured things would be a little more, uh, cosmopolitan to start with? But maybe that comes later.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
^ We'll get some more members of the party who aren't Kaim's family later yeah. But his family is indeed a large part of the party.

Ok, Black Friday is over and I have time to work on this again. (Retail is awful around the holidays let me tell you.) Update tonight or tomorrow, depending on how fast my lovely computer renders things.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Glazius posted:

It's kind of odd how we just met our forgotten family and they're most of our party. I'd have figured things would be a little more, uh, cosmopolitan to start with? But maybe that comes later.

I kinda like it to be honest. It's pretty refreshing to have a quasi family being forced into a typical RPG adventure.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Dragon Quest 5 was also great like that IIRC.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Black Friday has passed us by, and I can resume subjecting you to my awful friends! Here's a new espisode to get us rolling again. It's a bit on the short side since it bridges the Black Cave and the relatively large dungeon that follows. There's crows! Shopping! Seafood!

Episode 15: Underwear is Optional - Youtube(Uncut) | Polsy(Uncut)

Comes with the usual side order of a transcript, but two this time! The first was found when a little girl mistook Kaim for her brother in the Numaran Bazaar. The second is the other half of Seth's Dream, which is gained during this episode. I recommend reading Seth's Dreams at least, as they provide backstory for her that the game otherwise neglects.

Don't Forget Me Now, You Hear?: Transcript
Seth's Dream Part 2: Transcript

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Xenoblade Chronicles X came out and I forgot to do anything else for a week! Here's an update and the return of our lovely villain! It's got loud background sounds! Tedious puzzles! Mandatory use of Steal!

Episode 16-1: Ask Your Doctor About Magic Stroke - Youtube(Uncut) | Polsy(Uncut)

It's divided in half for both length and because we had a recording mishap on the second half and had to redo it. Part 2 will go up tomorrow along with 3 dream transcripts.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Hi, I know the thread has died down a little but I just wanted to say I'm still watching and enjoying this.

Incidentally, I know it's an out of LP resource but this YouTube channel has videos of all the Thousand Years of Dreams.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Gongorra, harming yourself to shut off the voices only works when they're in your head, not in your Magic Energy Reactor.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm still enjoying this LP as well. I really enjoyed this game when I played it, it's one of the few games I got 1000/1000 on.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
On the topic of Sarah's Dream, apparently the Immortals are from some Other World and that's why they don't age. Is this some sort of purgatory for them, or is this world just not capable of handling their presence in its reality, like they're some sort of anomalies? Hm.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Hi, I know the thread has died down a little but I just wanted to say I'm still watching and enjoying this.

Incidentally, I know it's an out of LP resource but (spoiler link) has videos of all the Thousand Years of Dreams.

Yeah, I appreciate that link especially considering I'm doing just the transcripts at this point, but can we hold off on that until later? Some of the dreams deal with actual in-story stuff like the origins of the immortals and I'd like to keep that under wraps until the plot covers it.

Sgt Thud fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 15, 2015

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

JT Jag posted:

Same, I've just fallen behind on following LPs recently.

Man, that dementia dream :smith:

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Alright, here's part 2 to finish up the Experimental Staff and with it, what I consider the slowest part of the game.

Episode 16-2: Subtlety - Youtube(Uncut) | Polsy(Uncut)

And 3 more Dreams to help get us caught up on those.
The first was found by overhearing a conversation of some Numaran citizens near the canal. Evening Bell was obtained by walking past the ruins of the old church after Lirum's funeral, and Portraitist was remembered crossing the bridge in central Numara and watching a flock of birds fly overhead.

Letters from a Weakling: Transcript
Evening Bell: Transcript
Portraitist of the Dead: Transcript

Lastly, two more important bits of the OST to post. My personal favorite battle theme of the game, and the "run away!" theme.
Dark Saint
Escape!

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Oh poo poo, I remember Letters from a Weakling. :smith:

Also there are two dreams that are dlc and preorder, called "Samii the Storyteller" and "An Old Soldier's Legacy", will you be covering those.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

ManlyGrunting posted:

Oh poo poo, I remember Letters from a Weakling. :smith:

Also there are two dreams that are dlc and preorder, called "Samii the Storyteller" and "An Old Soldier's Legacy", will you be covering those.

Yeah, one of the dreams was actually a pre-order exclusive bonus, but the wiki has all the transcripts so I can get that easily. The other one is a DLC not really worth getting but I'll grab that transcript too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Okay, it's been a while now and I've gone and forgotten everyone's roles.

Seth, Kaim, Ming and Sarah(?) are all immortals. Jansen, Mack, and Cooke are all mortal right?

We've got like four mages now, I'm lost on what everyone excels at.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Okay, it's been a while now and I've gone and forgotten everyone's roles.

Seth, Kaim, Ming and Sarah(?) are all immortals. Jansen, Mack, and Cooke are all mortal right?

We've got like four mages now, I'm lost on what everyone excels at.

I can understand why it'd get blurry. This game doesn't really do variety of "classes" if you will. It's more focused on how each permutation is a little different.

Kaim is an immortal and your physical heavy hitter. He also has the most HP of the party.
Seth is immortal and the fastest character with average power and HP, but her speed allows her to use physical skills faster than average.
Jansen is mortal, and a default black mage. His magic power is respectable and his HP is higher than the other mages, but still frail. He's the main source of black magic for the immortals to learn from.
Cooke is a mortal and the default white mage, similar to Jansen. She has the lowest HP of the entire party being a small girl, but has a very useful skill set.
Mack is mortal and a spirit mage. He has middling...everything, but a useful set of skills that allow for buffs, repairing the guard condition, and attacking entire groups.
Ming is the first immortal mage, and as such can be built to be a white or black mage, or take some of Mack's spirit magic. Her specialty is casting speed, being the fastest caster of the party.
Sarah is the other immortal mage, and can be used similar to Ming. She is slower to cast, but has the highest innate magic power of the party.

There are 2 more party members to get, but they won't join until mid-disc 3.The abundance of mages is due to the way immortals learn skills and the fact that the game anticipates that Sarah and Ming will surpass the mortal mages by the end, but each mortal mage learns unique passive skills and such. A good example is Jansen learning the ability to use 2 accessories at once later on, and Cooke learning Reduced Casting Time making her a fast casting healer on her own. Naturally, because immortals can learn these skills by fighting alongside a mortal, there's good reason to use the mortal characters.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sgt Thud posted:

I can understand why it'd get blurry. This game doesn't really do variety of "classes" if you will. It's more focused on how each permutation is a little different.

Yeah, that's why I was asking because I honestly couldn't tell who's supposed to lean towards being which mage. Who's the best at dealing damage? Who's the better healer? Are the other two some lesser version of that or are they more of support magicians? That's the kinda stuff that I was lost about.

I wasn't really thinking of it in terms of classes more so just asking as, going by their stats, who's the best at doing damage/healing/support/etc.

Seth, Kaim, and Mack I understood because there weren't a bunch more melee classes to get them confused with.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 19, 2015

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
In general the game has redundant mages because without the mortal mages, the immortal ones cannot develop and learn things unless you find the accessory for it. It's a neat mechanic I think. The immortals are capable of becoming far more powerful than a mortal counterpart, but only reach that point by learning from said mortals.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Sgt Thud posted:

Letters from a Weakling: Transcript
Evening Bell: Transcript
Portraitist of the Dead: Transcript
My feels :smith: The backstory to Kaim kind of puts me in mind of FFVIII, and how the flashback sequences to Squall's father were far more interesting and emotional than anything that happened in the main plot of the game. I had to check that Sakaguchi was only a producer on that game.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Hey all five of you still following this, I'm not dead! I just underestimated how much work these things are and honestly got super lazy! Update coming by the end of the day unless my computer catches fire or something.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Sgt Thud posted:

Hey all five of you still following this, I'm not dead! I just underestimated how much work these things are and honestly got super lazy! Update coming by the end of the day unless my computer catches fire or something.

You fool! :ohdear:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Sgt Thud posted:

Good to know. My memory of the next few hours is kind of hazy so I'm looking forward to it.

e: come to think of it, isn't Shieldus and Barricadus in the town before Grand Staff? I seem to remember those being missable until way later in the game (and annoyingly at that), I think you may have missed those :ohdear:

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 3, 2016

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
Looking forward to it!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
'I remember this thread. This thread is a good thread.'

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

This thread has almost convinced me to buy the game, so thank god you're picking things back up so I don't have to do that.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I'm enjoying this playthrough, seeing as I never had a 360.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Sgt Thud posted:

Six. :saddowns:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Seven~ I enjoy the hell outa this thread.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Eight. I read the thread but haven't watched the videos yet mostly. I bought a used 360 for this and it promptly died after i reached the first city,so I'm stoked to see what fate took from me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
9, I love this game and this thread.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
So my computer didn't catch fire, but it takes like 3 hours to render an episode and I didn't have time to upload last night. Thanks a ton for the support, this is my first time ever doing this, so it's encouraging to see that my hapless attempts at something way harder than I expected are still being enjoyed. Update will be posted once Youtube finishes uploading and processing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Don't be discouraged by low traffic. My Haunted Mansion LP a few years ago had, like, three readers but I still had fun doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Something about this game man. It's really good, and the LP is very well done but there's so little thread chatter despite that. Go figure.

• Locked thread