Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I think he counted me among the five people in the first place, seeing as I've been following this from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Ok, update time! The snow is falling here at my home, and what better way to ring in the winter than an ice dungeon! There's a penguin! Also dandy men! Also an awkward cut to black because I had to cut something! Don't worry, you didn't miss anything but I wanted to keep the commentary evidence of my failure!

Episode 17: Editing Failure - Youtube(Uncut) | Polsy(Uncut)

Another Dream for the road as well. This one is triggered automatically as you leave the Crimson Forest after saving Mack.

Elegy Island: Transcript

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Something about this game man. It's really good, and the LP is very well done but there's so little thread chatter despite that. Go figure.

It's a game that really speaks for itself. There isn't a ton to discuss once you get past characterizations until you reach certain plot points.

What I liked about it was how straight forward it was, but evoked a lot of feeling through the memories.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I never read Le Miserable... I've read things like 10,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Of Mice and Men, and some other things but I don't remember all of them.

Also gently caress Elmonds! That sounds horrible~

Zain fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 5, 2016

Not A Gay Name
Nov 8, 2008
I never did finish this game, despite really enjoying it. It forced a party configuration on me I didn't really like and I just said screw it instead.

Glad to see someone is LPing it. Now I can just watch you finish it instead.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Huh, wish I knew that I could reclaim things that were lost forever. I should replay the game with that knowledge (also I think you might have missed Shieldus and Barricadus so maybe get auctioning?)

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
A few people have mentioned it, but I did not miss Shieldus and Barricadus. Those are still available in the next city. They are also, oddly, one of the only few things in the game that CANNOT be grabbed from the auction house.

Sgt Thud fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jan 7, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Sgt Thud posted:

A few people have mentioned it, but I did not miss Shieldus and Barricadus. Those are still available in the next city. They are also, oddly, one of the only few things in the game that CANNOT be grabbed from the auction house.

Isn't the Auction House only for not just missable but already-missed field items?

For the benefit of other readers, especially if you're playing along, those two spells are shop-only so buy 'em or weep.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Figures that I still managed to gently caress up getting all treasures even without the auction and trying to doublecheck several locations where I might've missed some of those items, oh well.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
There is a reason I said at the start that I'm not doing a true 100% run. That's just pure suffering. I'm doing the important stuff, but not stuff like getting every single chest.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sgt Thud posted:

There is a reason I said at the start that I'm not doing a true 100% run. That's just pure suffering. I'm doing the important stuff, but not stuff like getting every single chest.

Only monsters demand 100% out of JRPGs.

I was going to add a 'that aren't x' to that but no 100% friendly JRPGs come to mind.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

but no 100% friendly JRPGs come to mind.

Phantasy Star I, II, and IV.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Should have an update ready to go tomorrow. Got the rest of disc 3 recorded and most of it commentated to help speed things up a bit.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Only monsters demand 100% out of JRPGs.

Call me a monster then. :colbert:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sue posted:

Phantasy Star I, II, and IV.

Oh!

Never played them.

hanales posted:

Call me a monster then. :colbert:

Going for 100% will add another three years to this LP, you beast.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Oh!

Never played them.

Going for 100% will add another three years to this LP, you beast.

Maybe I want it forever*

*Or until I can play this game on my xbone or emulated on PC

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Minor delay, update tomorrow instead. Thanks for patience, etc.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
So, lesson learned, never say you'll have an update until the videos are actually uploading, lest the universe take offense. Anyway, update time! There's an optional boss, Final Fantasy references, a train with horns, and and old man!

Episode 18: Bolshoy Vidalia - Youtube(Uncut) | Polsy(Uncut)

One more dream for you as well. This one was found by speaking to a man in the pleasant mountain town Kaim saved in the past.

The Hero: Transcript

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Sgt Thud posted:

So, lesson learned, never say you'll have an update until the videos are actually uploading, lest the universe take offense. Anyway, update time! There's an optional boss, Final Fantasy references, a train with horns, and and old man!

Episode 18: Bolshoy Vidalia - Youtube(Uncut) | Polsy(Uncut)

One more dream for you as well. This one was found by speaking to a man in the pleasant mountain town Kaim saved in the past.

The Hero: Transcript

Making fun of Sakaguchi should be punishable by being strapped to a chair and forced to play FFXIII continuously for a week.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

hanales posted:

Making fun of Sakaguchi should be punishable by being strapped to a chair and forced to LP FFXIII continuously for a week.

:agreed:

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
I'll make sure to carry out that punishment if I ever get within arms reach of my co-commentators.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Well, I certainly didn't expect a glowing insignia under the emblem to be how that scene played out.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Animal Crossing really is the modern man's Animal Farm.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

hanales posted:

Making fun of Sakaguchi should be punishable by being strapped to a chair and forced to play FFXIII continuously for a week.

That happened (although voluntarily) when Hbomberguy, Wateyad and Pork Lift went to Wales to finish FF13 in a caravan. That was amazing.

"We're having fun... in a caravan in Wales... :3:"

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Ok, so here's the deal. I have 4 more episodes worth recorded and ready to edit/upload. Problem is my commentators are out of commission for various reason for basically the next month. As a result, I'll have a new update soon, but I want to keep dragging them out to avoid running out of backlog entirely. Sorry for the inconsistent schedule and slow updates, and thanks for watching. I think I understand what this LP Curse thing was all about now.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

hanales posted:

It's amazing how many things this game got right that FF13 botched completely. If only Spirits Within hadn't happened... :(

Been following this LP for a while, but I wanted to catch up on the videos before commenting. Waiting with bated breath for more Jansen!

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Alright, this months business has been mostly handled and my commentary crew is soon back in commission, and as such, I've got an update in the pipes for you all. Expect it tomorrow evening or the next morning or so, depending on processing times and such. Thanks for your patience! I'm going to try for a double update this week to help compensate for the haitus, but no promises there.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Maybe kind of late in the day, but I made it within my timeframe! Have an update to officially end the haitus. There's trains! Imposters! Also My game lagging out for a few seconds loading a cutscene but no one noticed while recording!

Episode 19: Train Daycare - Youtube(Uncut) | Polsy(Uncut)

Toss another dream on the barby as well. This one was found by chatting up a man in Tosca Village after getting Ming drunk.

The Bread of Grandma Coto: Transcript

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Giant Traintank is the best.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

First train get's stolen... Eh kids will be kids. Second train= TIME TO BRING OUT THE BIG GUNS! Also destroy some of our trains in the process.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Hey Sgt Thud! Add me to the list of loyal lp followers. Just discovered the thread today and plan to binge on all the videos soonish.

I freaking LOVE this game. I missed having access to it so much after my 360 died a horrible death.

Jansen is awesome.

Music is incredible.

Thousand Years stories still make me cry.

It's been said before but man does this game need a pc port.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Hey Sgt Thud! Add me to the list of loyal lp followers. Just discovered the thread today and plan to binge on all the videos soonish.

I freaking LOVE this game. I missed having access to it so much after my 360 died a horrible death.

Jansen is awesome.

Music is incredible.

Thousand Years stories still make me cry.

It's been said before but man does this game need a pc port.

Hey, thanks man. Just know that the first couple videos have lower quality audio because we were idiots and tried to record the skype call instead of just all using audacity for some reason.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think it's pretty neat that the game's not scared to play around with party limits and drop you down below a full one like that.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
:siren: Update hoooooo! :siren:

Last time we stole a train, this time we see how that all turns out. Also been a while since Gongora got to chew some scenery, so we've got that too. This is actually one of my favorite episodes, and the beginning of the part of the game I like the most. Enjoy!

Episode 20: A Place in my Heart of Darkness - Youtube(Uncut) | Polsy(Uncut)

As usual, another dream for the pile as well. This one is found by listening in on some people at the Tosca inn after rescuing Sarah.

So Long, Friend: Transcript

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Well poo poo sure turned up to 11 didn't it?

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Gongora posted:

His Majesty was all too aware that war is a foolish choice, as am I.

Either Gorgonzola doesn't understand consistent verb tense, or he's saying that he is a foolish choice. Which is true, no denying; I'm just surprised he's admitting it in his speech to the moronUhrans.

EDIT: yes, I know what he meant. Just pointing out poor phrasing. And thinking on it, it isn't inconsistent verb tense: it's a dangling modifier. Probably should've been:

quote:

His Majesty was all too aware, as am I, that war is a foolish choice.

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 15, 2016

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

NullBlack posted:

Either Gorgonzola doesn't understand consistent verb tense, or he's saying that he is a foolish choice. Which is true, no denying; I'm just surprised he's admitting it in his speech to the moronUhrans.

What he is trying to get across is that he "is aware that war is a foolish choice"; the tense dissonance is because he's trying to pass Tolten off as dead. But then chooses war anyway because :moreevil:.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Yeah he basically said "War is bad, but what the hell let's do it anyway!"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

War is a foolish choice.
Unless ya got a big rear end dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

NullBlack posted:

It's kind of clunky but it does technically work as a sentence. The other interpretation is funnier though.

Jansen remains the best thing in every scene he's in as usual. :allears:

• Locked thread