Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Only had a few minutes to try out Parkitect, but I'm pretty disappointed with it so far. Peep AI seems worse than RCT1, and the merry-go-round doesn't play any music. Interface is fine and everything is nicely shaded and animated, but I don't think it will be able to scratch the RCT itch in the long run.

vvv Yeah, it's good they didn't release it on steam yet.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Well it is mostly a pre-alpha tech demo, right? The art and music are likely late development polish. As is the limitation on curves and whatnot. It's likely a rushed executable just so backers had SOMETHING in their hands.

Still, compared to RCTW and the marketing for Planet Coaster, both fully funded bigger professional studios, it looks kind of butts from their concept. But who knows, it's early yet.

BeerMarket
Feb 5, 2014

OpenRCT is incredible and all but I feel like people brush off RCT3 without having actually built any significant parks in it. No doubt that the actual management aspect of the game was ruined, but the rollercoaster tools are literally exactly the same. Same curves, same hills, same special pieces. And, best of all, you can actually ride the finished product. Also, stacking scenery is infinitely easier when you can zoom, dolly, and scroll in 3 directions.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

How is the management ruined? It never felt any different to me.

BeerMarket
Feb 5, 2014

sitchelin posted:

How is the management ruined? It never felt any different to me.

In almost every aspect it just seems easier. I cruised through the RCT3 campaign missions without failing a single one. RCT1 /2 seemed way more difficult in comparison, and after the first 10 or so they all took me a couple of tries.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

BeerMarket posted:

In almost every aspect it just seems easier. I cruised through the RCT3 campaign missions without failing a single one. RCT1 /2 seemed way more difficult in comparison, and after the first 10 or so they all took me a couple of tries.

That's because they literally wrote out failure conditions. The only way to "fail" is to go so bankrupt that you are literally incapable of leaving the red. Your rides can't even crash and kill people, tanking your park rating, because that would have lost them their 'e' rating.
If I have one complaint about rct3, it's that it has almost no risk at all.

Still a super fun game though.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

FoolyCharged posted:

That's because they literally wrote out failure conditions. The only way to "fail" is to go so bankrupt that you are literally incapable of leaving the red. Your rides can't even crash and kill people, tanking your park rating, because that would have lost them their 'e' rating.
If I have one complaint about rct3, it's that it has almost no risk at all.

Still a super fun game though.

You would have thought they would have just replaced "kill" with "get injured and file a suit".

I liked 3 because of night-mode and the unfixed cam. But there was a certain unexplainable bit of charm that was lost from the 2D->3D transformation. The 3D game had a really "plastic" feel about it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have only ever played RCT3 and quite liked it... other than some pretty lame dreamcast coaster game that is.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

They didn't change how the rollercoasters were actually built in RCT3, as in the rules are mostly the same, but they did change the UI for the worse, like everything else in RCT3. It may just come down to which game you played first/more, which ever you're more used to.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Anyone who doesn't name not only their rides, but also their concessions and facilities, are monsters and should be shot.

E: I dearly, desperately loved RCT1 and 2 as a kid, and I think I invested a billion hours into them over my lifetime. I got RCT3 when it was new, but I was never really able to get into it that much until I tried playing it in sandbox mode a few years ago and it clicked.

Being in 3D allows you to make some incredible parks as structures can be fully explored and you can ride the rides, and landscaping is a lot more natural and easy to grasp. I think as a management game it feels a lot simpler than the other games, but as a toolbox to make an awesome, tactile park it's simply unparalleled.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 24, 2015

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I want to get off Steel Rollercoaster 3.

Orv
May 4, 2011
this tijuana donkey show is really good value!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
OpenRCT2 is pretty drat close to RCT2 parameters. They are going to work on improving it, like OpenTTD did with TTD. I don't think they're going to go as indepth with the OpenTTD features.

Hell, Multiplayer is veering way off the 'vision' of RCT2.

It works.
As much as you can connect to a server at least. On localhost.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

The one thing that RCT3 did really well was the waterparks. Being able to design the pools how you wanted was cool. Shame that lazy rivers were so finicky and you couldn't put shops in the waterpark areas, and some of the slides still had to have really long stations for there to be multiple riders at once, but I'd love to see it make a return in future games. The safari stuff could have done with a lot of improvement, but being able to send some rides actually directly through the enclosures was cool. Shame nobody ever modded in dinosaurs for the safari stuff.

Also, I wonder if the new games have thought of adding the circular rotating stations that River Rapids rides normally use instead of just the usual long straight ones.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

http://steamcommunity.com/games/282560/announcements/detail/806498529920105534

RCTW – BLOG #18 – BEHIND-THE-SCENES VIDEO AND SIX FLAGS COLLABORATION!
September 18 - Mattlab

quote:

Hello Tycoons!

Thank you all again for the amazing feedback, coverage and support we’ve received since PAX Prime[https://www.rollercoastertycoon.com]. As always, it’s been great reading your comments on the forums with your suggestions for the game. What’s even more exciting is seeing your suggestions come to life in our internal builds! Today we’ll be presenting a very special “behind-the-scenes” video and talking about features.

BEHIND THE SCENES

We want to give you all a peek behind the curtain of RCTW, so we are very happy to present a “making of” video, highlighting our development process, the team and some of the new key features and innovations you will have at launch. You’ll get a view into the work and thoughts of the impassioned people that are bringing your ideas to life (including me!).

We are also happy to announce a very exciting collaboration on this project with Six Flags, the world’s largest regional theme park company! Six Flags is home to some of the most innovative rides and coasters in the world, and we wanted to make sure our team had access to that amazing technical expertise. With RCTW it’s all about the details, and who better to guide us and answer questions than the very people making real world rides themselves?

One last note – some of the game clips you’ll see are not yet fully optimized. Obviously for launch, gameplay will be optimized and framerates will be silky smooth, but we wanted to give you a glimpse today from our development build of the parks you’ll be able to create with RCTW. In other words, we wanted to show you more of RCTW NOW (with the framerate still to be optimized) rather than later. ENJOY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03tQP6pulHM

quote:

As seen on our website[https://www.rollercoastertycoon.com], Facebook page and forums[forum.rollercoastertycoon.com], we have announced a number of amazing new features for the game. Many of these were unveiled at PAX, including the powerful coaster builder, 4K UHD graphics, ride and coaster realism, and native Steam Workshop / UGC support.

Now, let’s address your questions regarding features – what will be available at launch, versus what will be added via free updates post-launch. So far, with the exception of some minor features, everything the community has asked for will be included in the game. However, in regards to the release of these features, we want to have a product that is fully polished at launch. This means that some of these features will be released as free updates post-launch – including darkrides, tunnels, and transport rides – once they are truly finished and optimized.

We intend for RCTW to set a new bar for themepark simulation, and to be a game that is played for a long, long time. We owe it to you all to present a robust, content-rich, and fully polished game at launch that can be updated and improved for years to come.

WHAT’S NEXT

One last note – we know what you all want to hear. Coming soon on our blog topic list is info on our street date, pre-order plans, and Beta! Until then, thanks again for being a part of the RCTW community!

Cheers,
“Mattlab”
Executive Producer of RCTW
Atari

I think it looks rad :shrug:

I like how easy it seems to build coasters and paths.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I think it looks rad :shrug:

I like how easy it seems to build coasters and paths.

Hey if it's not bad then awesome, but I'll remain pessimistic for now.

Also please stop calling them peeps, please god.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Orv posted:

Also please stop calling them peeps, please god.

They've been called that from the start?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

RCTW looks pretty rad, can't wait to try it out.

Over the last week I've been recovering from minor surgery and RCT3 was the perfect timewaster while high on painkillers, and I have to echo the poster above that it's just too easy. I've almost completed the entire campaign (only have the last four missions of Wild to go) and except for maybe one or two there was no challenge at all. The second to last park of the original campaign, The Money Pit, was the worst. You just need to finish the rollercoaster that's missing some pieces, hire a bunch of handymen and mechanics, let the game run for a bit and you'll finish the Tycoon requirements without building a single thing.

The most challenging were National Treasure because of a lack of space, New Blood until that point where you finally have enough money to build a decent coaster at which point money just starts flowing in and you can do whatever, and Mountain Spring, again because you've got very limited space to work in and you need like four proper coasters to complete it.

I do love the variation though, not so much in the challenges but in the starting conditions and maps. My favourites are those where you start out with very little (like a single coaster I can delete) or even nothing at all, except for an interesting plot of land and maybe a feature like an old temple or something to work with.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jehde posted:

They've been called that from the start?

I know! :smith:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm enjoying Parkitect. It's cute.

Orv
May 4, 2011
RCT:W December 10th. Switched developers three (3) times. $50.

Probably not.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Just get Planet Coaster when that comes out, that's the one actually being developed by the RCT3 team. RCT:W's dev team specializes in mobile games.

e: You can tell by the way they're going to lock what is likely a whopping 100MB worth of content to people who don't shell out an extra :10bux:. (Especially the terrain options, major options like that should be available to all players. loving stupid.)

The Rollercoaster Tycoon World Website posted:

The Deluxe Edition includes two unique building maps, terrain additions, a digital art book, and the classic Panda mascot

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 29, 2015

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
There's also a weird idea I heard about letting other people buy and play it and seeing how they react to it. That said, you'll have to wait a few days in case it's another SimCity.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I'll wait for reviews and/or a steam sale.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
It's depressing because the footage looks fun but there is some ominous language being used by the developers in their videos. Guess I'll just keep playing 3 on my phone until we know for sure.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Speaking of rct3, I've finally made it to the last level of wild and it's pretty much the perfect challenge. You start with only 10k, which you can double by selling a huge barn and interest rates are really punishing so you can't just take out the max loan. There's plenty of land to build on while also interesting enough so you can actually have distinct themes going. After two false starts I got a decent coaster going and let the money roll in while I did some chores. Now the challenge is actually getting enough income to satisfy the requirements. I made it to the tycoon level but a combined monthly income of almost 5k is pretty hard. Then again, I do spend most of my time landscaping and building scenery because it's the last level and I want to finish the game with a bang. I just know that once I complete it I'll get bored and move on to a different game.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Orv posted:

RCT:W December 10th. Switched developers three (3) times. $50.

Probably not.

Coming out in less than 3 months and there's like 6 pictures and 1 video? It's probably going to be really bad.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So, to summarize:
-Severe lack of game information
-Switched devs multiple times
-Specialization in mobile games
-Already confirmed day 1 dlc content.

Yeah it's going to be bad. It's only really missing online only and being a uplay exclusive or something.

Whenever someone mentions that they have switched devs for a game I keep remembering having flashbacks to when I played Duke Nukem Forever.

Poil fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Sep 30, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Poil posted:

So, to summarize:
-Severe lack of game information
-Switched devs multiple times
-Specialization in mobile games
-Already confirmed day 1 dlc content.

Yeah it's going to be bad. It's only really missing online only and being a uplay exclusive or something.

Whenever someone mentions that they have switched devs for a game I keep remembering having flashbacks to when I played Duke Nukem Forever.

I have some confidence saying RCTW is going to be better than DNF.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

njsykora posted:

I have some confidence saying RCTW is going to be better than DNF.

High praise. :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's like saying Pol Pot did technically have a lower body count than Hitler.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Did he not?

Orv
May 4, 2011

He did, they're just both still in the millions. You heard it here first, DNF as bad as genocide.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
To be fair, a reviewer I like who was pretty pessimistic about the game said the stuff he played was better than he expected:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hagUR21xaTY

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I hated how the Mechanics in RCT2 would not pay attention to the selected areas I'd give them. If a ride broke down on the other side of the park and a mechanic that I had given a selected path answered the call, he would endlessly try and find the ride, but the selected path would prevent him from reaching it.

I tried RCT3 and there were just too many bugs for me to enjoy it.

Here's to hoping the new one will improve!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If you want to watch some comparisons between the first three games by a horrible sperg:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZuI2SlzuM4 1 vs 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdzLiH3F6hE 1 vs 3

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Poil posted:

If you want to watch some comparisons between the first three games by a horrible sperg:

Skimmed those and I hate him.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Poil posted:

I started the 1vs3 one, got past the RCT1 summary and then he started about the commercials and I know I hated him.
The world isn't out to get you and make RCT xXxHardc0r3xXx you :spergin: idiot.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I did say horrible sperg. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

lmao he sounds like Vernon from Psychonauts