Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

scamtank posted:

lmao he sounds like Vernon from Psychonauts

and then lady had to go to the bathroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I once tried to see how many go karts tracks I could build in RCT:

The pattern in the foreground turns out to be a lot more space efficient so I started using that:

However, I ran into a slight problem, which was that by the time I had completed the second tower block, RCT3 had slowed down to 10 fps and would hang for a second every time I placed a new track tile. RCT3 does NOT like large quantities of go karts:

I did however discover that go kart clearance is only a single tile so I could theoretically do this and have even more go karts in the same amount of space if the game wouldn't lag so much if I tried:

In theory, that last set up would have a go kart track for every two tiles of space in the park, if it were built up to it's maximum height.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I never had much success with go-kart tracks in RCT1 or 2. They had low capacity and every visitor seemed to find them really boring. Maybe I was just terrible at building them, though.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Odd, they were always pretty solid money makers for me. Don't make them too long, have some scenery, max number of karts and 2 loops per run. I could easily ask for 5 or more per ticket and they were popular enough to always have a filled queue. Make sure not to have long tunnels though, they don't. Like that. Instead build a small house or castle or something for them to ride through.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yeah too much underground time tanks the Excitement. Keep tweaking.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Short tunnel, and always a flyover. That's been the sweet spot for me when building go-karts.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I never understood why RCT peeps are so picky about go-karts. I used to work at a go-kart track and on slow days people would ask me to throw them freebie runs. Longevity is not a problem in the real world, people would spend all day driving those things if you let them. Even the incredibly boring oval ones. I would. :colbert:

In fact, tunnels kick rear end.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

min/max'd go karts

For some reason I now want a Roller Coaster Tycoon / Anno crossover.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

My experience is that even on the tiniest full car track set to minimum laps, rct go carts queue up much faster than the ride removes people from queue.

In short I've always charged out the rear end for them because it's going to run at optimum profit speeds regardless.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

E: double post

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

Samuel Clemens posted:

I never had much success with go-kart tracks in RCT1 or 2. They had low capacity and every visitor seemed to find them really boring. Maybe I was just terrible at building them, though.

I had a track that looked like this: (----) The ride lasted 3 seconds because I gave it 1 lap. I was charging $5 per go. So I was making $20 every 15 seconds.

I always stuck to simple designs, since the guests get very impatient. It's rare I can build a decent track with around 3 laps without annoying the queuing guests.

You know what's crazy? Not me.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The peeps have weird logic at times.

Of course in the game it's different than the real world, because the peeps will stay all day at your park until they run out of money, then hit an ATM and get more, just to hang around your park some more. If you only charge to get into your park, they will stay even longer because they're not spending money hand over fist to get onto your rides.

The best way was in RCT1 when you could charge for both, much like the real world :colbert:

Or if they added a way for a peep to pay a large sum to get a ride pass like some parks in the real world.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010
I wanna play some rollercoaster tycoon again for the first time in years so help me make my decisions goons! RCT2 or RCT3? I'm sure 2 will hit my nostalgia hard but I've never got to try 3 (and heard its better in some aspects).

Crazy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 17, 2015

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Crazy Pigeon posted:

I wanna play some rollercoaster tycoon again for the first time in years so help me make my decisions goons! RCT2 or RCT3? I'm sure 2 will hit my nostalgia hard but I've never got to try 3 (and heards it better in some aspects).

1 :colbert:

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010

Isn't 2 basically one with less features? That's what I remember atleast.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

2 is 1 with more features.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
3 is a good game if you arent some 2D snob.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Buy 1 and 2 and get OpenRCT.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Buy 1 and 2 and get OpenRCT.

Is OpenRCT a thing for 1 as well? I'd only heard it mentioned for 2. I'd love it to be for one because I only really play for nostalgia and 1's the one I played as a kid.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Crazy Pigeon posted:

Isn't 2 basically one with less features? That's what I remember atleast.

2 is 1 with more features and one hell of a lot of "Rides" that should have been ride improvements. A good chunk of the coaster types are just X themed coaster.

Crazy Pigeon posted:

I wanna play some rollercoaster tycoon again for the first time in years so help me make my decisions goons! RCT2 or RCT3? I'm sure 2 will hit my nostalgia hard but I've never got to try 3 (and heard its better in some aspects).

Depends on what you're looking for. If you want the scenario progression thing from one where you feel like you're meeting objectives to go through the game I'd say 3
If you're looking for just building RC1 parks but with more and prettier stuff I'd say 2.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010
Ahh yea, I meant to say MORE features, whoops. Hmm 3 looks like it could be pretty interesting and I want to start off just playing scenarios so I guess I'll pick that one up. Anyone know where to get it cheaper than the steam/gog versions at $20 right now?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Well, if you don't mind waiting for a sale, It'll probably go on sale for the big winter sale steam should be doing soon. If I had to guess it'll probably go on sale december 10th when RCTW gets released.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Three is pretty drat cool if you get the expansion packs with it. You get to 'ride your rides' and while you can't drown/kill peeps any more you can bump and toss them around the park instead. Just expect a chill sandbox game instead of challenging scenarios.
I could never be bothered to make a proper fireworks/laser show.

https://isthereanydeal.com/#/page:game/info?plain=rollercoastertycooniiiplatinum

Croccers fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 18, 2015

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Crazy Pigeon posted:

Ahh yea, I meant to say MORE features, whoops. Hmm 3 looks like it could be pretty interesting and I want to start off just playing scenarios so I guess I'll pick that one up. Anyone know where to get it cheaper than the steam/gog versions at $20 right now?

3 had the potential to be a great game, but it was plagued with bugs. I never stuck the game out long enough to see if those bugs were fixed mind you.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Manic X posted:

3 had the potential to be a great game, but it was plagued with bugs. I never stuck the game out long enough to see if those bugs were fixed mind you.

They were and the expansions played out that potential rather well.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The biggest problem was that RCT3 wasn't nearly as optimized as the previous games were, for obvious reasons, resulting in giant parks being pretty laggy.

Also gently caress that UI.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Orv posted:

They were and the expansions played out that potential rather well.

Now I know this, I may consider reinstalling it. Not attempted to play it for about 4-5 years.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

What I liked about 3 were the lights and the way everything looked, all bright colors and Kenny G music. I once made a sandbox park that looked like the surface of Iapetus using the snow and black rock terrains. The water reflections were good too.

2 is the worst in the series because of all the superfluous coasters, poor sandbox tools, no unlock progression and the way every scenario forced you into a single theme for every park.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Planet Coaster dev diary. People and fluid sims for people!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
3 has a lot of neat/odd touches. Barely played the scenarios in it not because they're easy but because Terrain Editing in the game is just loving horrendous and I'd end up with exposed jagged terrain everywhere and just look terrible.
For the Wooden Roller Coaster you can make a 30-car (6-seater) long train and the physics work pretty well considering it. When sitting in the front you totally get the feel that you're just getting pushed along.
The Inspector can point out that stuff like the Dino Mask stall doesn't match the theme of Alien trees area. (But gently caress you anyway Dino Mask is best stall).
The game has a teeny modding scene too I just found out. It's nearly all cosmetic stuff but other things being Peep Factory, mostly used to spam the poo poo out of Single-peep groups so rides fill out a bit more because the whole Group thing is a little weird.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I never had a problem with the terrain. There's a bunch of tools to deal with it specifically, particularly a smoother that only deals with those edges and a leveler that snaps it to a layer suitable for rides. Just a tiny bit of prep (that costs literal cents) and you're good to go. If there's a couple of strays there's a one tile snapper tool that fixes it to the surroundings, making it nice and clean.

Really, the only issue I had was with tunnels into mountainsides and stuff. Those holes generally turned out way too large without the proper prep work.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
More so it just gouges terrain when building rides.
The smoothing tool just flattens everything, even using the Cover Show Edges smoothing tool, it flattens any kind of hill or dip

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Odd, it didn't for me if remember correctly. Maybe if you set the brush size smaller? Three or five should so it. Really, after figuring out how to use the tools the terrain editing was one of my favourite new features.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

RTC3 is just too bland for my tastes, with it's soulless 3D graphics and all. I like the first two games better, but then again I'm a sucker for 2D isometric building games.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I disagree with you, I found the upgrade to 3D really beneficial. I loved RCT3.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The lighting especially made 3 memorable for me. I guess the peeps looked worse, but that's probably more because they had to render so many of them at once.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

This is cool.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
There's a beta weekend for RCT:W coming up for preorders which should be steam-refundable if it turns out to be a complete trainwreck.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Shiiiiiiit...

E: Oh nevermind, they've disabled money and guests for the test so gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
RCTW is having a limited beta weekend for pre-order people. Full coaster builder included but no financial/people/gameplay simulation as they're not done. Should be a decent indicator if you can build roller coasters in the game.