Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Alabaster White posted:

I find I keep reaching the goal in the first year, maintaining it, and then having to sit around for the next 4-5 years waiting for it to finish so I can move onto the next one. Forest Frontiers 4 lyfe yo

Forest Frontiers is the perfect example of a great starting map for a player. You don't need to worry about landscaping, using different elevations, scenery really, all you need to do is build rides and expand from that small beginning area the game gives you. It also acts like a tutorial. You can make mistakes in building, but the game basically tells you in that map that it's okay to not play "perfectly".

The maps that follow are a little more complicated, but unlike RCT2, they gradually increase in difficulty if you start from the first map and go on. This was a great decision to have the player follow a 'suggested' order of the maps to play. The problem with RCT2 maps is that they have no suggested order. If you assume that the first map in beginner is the map you should try to play the game as first, you're going to be in one hell of a surprise.

I guess that is why RCT3 went with the process of having a map that gets slightly harder for each objective, and they also have a "Set" order to lead the player among a path they want them to take, rather than just thrusting the entire game in their hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Here you go. Forgot to provide a link of where to grab them.

http://forums.rctspace.com/index.php?showtopic=26479

These ones are more "complete" than the other ones that might be floating around, I guess. They just didn't change the build menu for Loopy Landscapes

Anyways, only a couple of the parks names were changed.

Katie's World->Katie's Dreamland
Dinky Park->Pokey Park
Aqua Park->White Water Park
Mothball Mountain->Mystic Mountain
Big Pier->Paradise Pier
Big Pier 2->Paradise Pier 2

Of course Corkscrew Follies was renamed Added Attractions.

And the converted maps work in OpenRCT2. So do the UCES maps. And the objects included in the UCES.

Let's just say that OpenRCT2 made me play the game again. Maximized windowed mode is so worth it.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 5, 2015

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

There is a cheat available called 'Unlock all prices' in OpenRCT2. Using that will let you charge for peeps to enter the park as well as to charge for rides.

I believe that they will add playing RCT1 scenarios, instead of just opening them in the scenario editor, which causes some issues if you try to play that converted scenario. It will probably also come out when they actually have the prices for both parks and rides triggered in the scenario, rather than needing to be done via cheat. And by playing, I mean playing the actual ones from RCT1 and not just the converted ones. So the research and all that being enabled.

Now, if you want even more maps over the converted RCT1 ones, and obviously UCES exists, there's one more option.

VJ's scenario pack. I grabbed it, and they are pretty standard maps. But more building is always good.

http://rct.wikia.com/wiki/VJ%27s_scenario_pack is for the wiki page.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 7, 2015

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I had a ride that was pulling 20 gs.
Immediately after it would pull -5 gs.

Why wouldn't anyone ride my death coaster?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

So, Frontier knocked it out of the park with their "inferior" version of Rollercoaster Tycoon with no microtransactions or waiting timers. Did Atari lose the rights or something?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430034 Control Volume's LP.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

OpenRCT2 is pretty drat close to RCT2 parameters. They are going to work on improving it, like OpenTTD did with TTD. I don't think they're going to go as indepth with the OpenTTD features.

Hell, Multiplayer is veering way off the 'vision' of RCT2.

It works.
As much as you can connect to a server at least. On localhost.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The peeps have weird logic at times.

Of course in the game it's different than the real world, because the peeps will stay all day at your park until they run out of money, then hit an ATM and get more, just to hang around your park some more. If you only charge to get into your park, they will stay even longer because they're not spending money hand over fist to get onto your rides.

The best way was in RCT1 when you could charge for both, much like the real world :colbert:

Or if they added a way for a peep to pay a large sum to get a ride pass like some parks in the real world.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I just picked up the base game during the Steam Sale. It's pretty fun so far. (Planet Coaster, not RCT3)

But how do I make the paths bigger? Like, wider.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 3, 2018

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I know I can play the career mode, or the sandbox mode. What is challenge mode?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

So, they want crowdfunding for RCT Mobile on Switch?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

You want the true successor to the RollerCoaster Tycoon game?

Play Planet Coaster.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Atari: "We caused the gaming crash in the 80s and now we want you to help us get back on our feet after we shot outselves in the foot yet again with Rollercoaster Tycoon World"

If they had this much sway in the industry, they would have no problems getting actual investors to give them money. Instead they're relying on normal people. That REALLY gives me confidence in the product.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 24, 2018

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

cubicle gangster posted:

- At least $750: Investor perk as outlined above, and a discount of 25% off the street price of the game at launch valid for a purchase of 1 unit of RollerCoaster Tycoon Nintendo Switch;

Hahahaha you don't even get the game if you give them money. Has anybody in Atari even heard about why people crowdfund games?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The moment the crowdsharing parts end, Atari would go "Oh the game partner's license is cancelled".

https://gonintendo.com/stories/300705-atari-bringing-rollercoaster-tycoon-to-switch-no-matter-what-the

It's coming out even when the crowdfunding attempt fails

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

So, uh, does this mean Frontier is killing Planet Coaster?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Out of Parkitect and Planet Coaster, which has the better management aspect that isn't annoying?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I picked up Parkitect, and I am really missing a campaign mode, but I know it's coming. At least it plays a whole lot like classic RCT, while Planet Coaster plays more like a make pretty park simulator.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I could see a scenario require you to make all the money through shops after the initial influx of cash, but you will need to have a minimum rating so you can't just build shops.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I am glad there is a sign option too for 'Employees only." I like putting it at the exit from rides so that the peeps won't wander into my spartan exit and instead continue on the path instead of needing to visit every single path file.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I don't know if anybody mentioned this yet.

OpenRCT2 supports RCT1 natively now. You just need to set up the options.

Also, early scenario completion. If you complete the scenario conditions before the 'end' date, you win.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh dang, I'll have to give them another go.

I'll add I use the dev build, not the stable one.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

WebDog posted:

I thought you could import RCT parks into OpenRCT already?
It didn't copy the sprite data from RCT for the coasters if you imported the parks. Also it didn't put the maps into the scenario list when you imported them that way. Importing them was also a little clunky. Having OpenRCT2 read directly from the RCT folder lets it use the missing data, and also the scenarios show up properly.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Is there a way to show just the items added with specific DLC packs? Like I can't tell the difference with some of them.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Parkitect has a bigger emphasis on the management aspect, but it's still very shallow.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I've been waiting patiently for campaign mode.
Good thing they will still of course have a sandbox mode

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

They released some details about the campaign mode and map

https://steamcommunity.com/games/parkitect/announcements/detail/3397298957549147553

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I fully expect the first level to be on the same difficulty level as Forest Frontiers.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Update is live!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Well, it's a lot harder than RCT to make money.
Of course if the money thing showed my actual income instead of the vague number of how quickly I will become poor it might be more useful.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

A good thing is that they're going to still update the game after the campaign which many people (like me) have been waiting for.

But how do I make it so I am actually in the black instead of bleeding money every month?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Well the, tutorial taught me how to use depots properly.
Do I need to worry about trash chutes too?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

As long as the guests don't have line of sight to the behind the scenes stuff, they're pretty good about it. If you can see through a fence in real life, it won't block line of sight. Trees also don't block line of sight. A big hedge wall does, as does a tall wooden fence. Or walls if you want to use them instead. Your haulers can load things from behind with the exception of vending machines. Your guests also don't like seeing trash chutes or depots. Give something else for them to look at nearby the one space that your staff paths go to the main path.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I wondered why Parkitect seemed to be quite silent for a while. Should be a good one.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I prefer Parkitect over Planet Coaster. It is just easier for me to get a handle on it. While Planet Coaster has an immense more amount of customization to get scenery correct, I just don't find it that fun. I'm not going to sit there for hours on a single ride to get the queue done and the scenery all set up so it's perfect. I want to get the ride down, make money, move on to the next ride, worry about scenery to increase profits once I have a steady cashflow. Also so I don't need to put benches and tables absolutely everywhere because somehow a single food stand in a tiny park will have swarms of people descend on it and then leave ignoring my awesome merry-go-round.

Easier for me to work with squares over working with a freeform canvas. Slightly more simple, more fun for me.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Yeah, building a toilet in Parkitect is just plop it down and you're done. The food court you might be making the hallway behind them for your haulers to do stuff behind the scenes so that people don't see them and get sad, but it's not like you need to spend 20 minutes just to build the entire food court. Not like you need to worry about making the back fancy. Just wall it off so people can't see it. Not like your workers get mood hits for bad decoration.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

ptroll posted:

IIRC there are RCT1 scenario packs for RCT2, and OpenRct has a fast forward button or two. It's a good way to go through those games now.

If you own RCT1, you don't need to grab the scenario packs. OpenRCT2 supports the scenarios from RCT1 natively now. You just need to point the options in the proper direction of RCT1 for it to grab the files it needs to run them. This way they aren't the changed scenarios for RCT2 but rather the exact same scenario from RCT1 including research options, land, decorations. Basically just the RCT1 levels in OpenRCT2 (with the improvements OpenRCT2 has made to the entire game engine).

Which of course also means you can just finish a scenario early if you get the goal set without sitting there for 2 years because you already won in the first 4 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Parkitect is more along the lines of a game over Planet Coaster. Planet Coaster is more of a wide open sandbox where you can place anything you want and spend hours making the perfect little theme for your merry go round making sure it's absolutely perfect. A single rock in the queue out of place will make you upset. In Parkitect people will still ride the merry go round if it's not decorated. It's more that if you show your entire supply management and have workers carrying boxes all around the place where people can see them they might get upset at seeing people that toss them out of their fantasy but it's easy enough to hide the supply chain behind walls and the such.
For me, Planet Coaster just isn't "fun". The campaign is lackluster and I prefer having a goal to work towards. Challenge mode is just too difficult. Parkitect on the other hand every single level has a goal for me to work towards and even if I don't want unlimited money to build whatever I find it more satifying to start from an empty lot with the restrictions of growing slowly rather than making the huge park that I can put whatever I want in.