Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I can confirm that OpenRCT2 is incredible. It makes running the game windowed trivial, and also adds back some of the missed features from RCT1, like being able to create powered launch coasters that stop in the station, so you don't need track on the back. (There's an option for the RCT2-style launch, too.) Also a lot of nice features like switching the ride test flags back to the RCT1 lightpost, being able to put the finances tab on the top menu, and full customizability of the UI colors. If you're a streamer, the program also has full Twitch integration, which turns your viewers and followers into park guests and gives regular updates on what they're doing in your park.

I wish I were better with terrain. It's very difficult to make the complex structures and realistic park designs like the folks at New Element Designs and very time-consuming, too. But still, it's not too hard to make an attractive looking park, as long as you believe in yourself, and use lots of nice-looking trees and natural features, working well with your landscape. I also like crazy fantasy parks that are really packed tightly. Here are screenshots of some of my parks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Just get Planet Coaster when that comes out, that's the one actually being developed by the RCT3 team. RCT:W's dev team specializes in mobile games.

e: You can tell by the way they're going to lock what is likely a whopping 100MB worth of content to people who don't shell out an extra :10bux:. (Especially the terrain options, major options like that should be available to all players. loving stupid.)

The Rollercoaster Tycoon World Website posted:

The Deluxe Edition includes two unique building maps, terrain additions, a digital art book, and the classic Panda mascot

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 29, 2015

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Any talk of a goon openrct2 server? I keep getting kicked from the reddit server (the only open MP server) for removing all the swastikas and changing the park name to non-juvenile poo poo. :v:

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I had to clear out the swastikas to try to build my shuttle loops!!

What are the logistics of running a park server? My connection isn't amazing, so I don't think I could run a dedicated server, but if it only makes sense to have it up for a few hours at a time we could have weekend sessions and things like that. I'd be willing to host for some of those if folks are interested. (My thinking is that keeping a dedicated server running means the park is constantly simming, which means it would need constant supervision. I work a 9-5 so this is impossible for me, and I imagine for most human beings, unfortunately.)

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Yeah, even when I wasn't getting kicked 5 seconds after entering the server I would get de-synced with the host within a couple of minutes. You have to check the switch in the Options menu to let you stay connected to the server, even after a de-sync. In order to mitigate problems of people building stuff onto each other and potentially crashing the game, we'd have to pick different spots in which to build. I've seen some very nice sandbox maps split up in such a way that it has multiple separate "fields" so this is entirely possible.

I understand there's also a problem with staff placement? I think it's something like, only staff the host places work. Anyone have any further knowledge on this?

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Coaster designer looks amazing. Even if Planet Coaster pulls a Spore and fails to deliver on a bunch of its promises, it will still be tons better than Roller Coaster Tycoon World. It's definitely going to be the one to get. I still can't get enough of curved paths.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Fossil has an incredible rundown on how scenery affects ride excitement.

Really, there's no reason for his entire site to not be in the first post: http://www.rctmart.com/fossil/

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Planet Coaster will also likely have custom content, because RCT3 has custom content.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Did anyone in the thread actually buy RCTW?

Yes, but they almost all got a refund.

Now that OpenRCT2 multiplayer is hitting full swing, I'm thinking of designing some multiplayer scenarios. There wouldn't be much point to having a guest goal in multiplayer, since guests would pretty much be coming in at the same rate. So would an ideal MP scenario be something like having a large (Evergreen Gardens or larger) sized map and gunning for a certain park value within a short timeframe like a year or two? Would anyone be interested in testing scenarios like this?

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Jehde posted:

This is a good idea, but it would be a bad idea to let me join because I would just build a bunch of overpowered shuttle launches.

Is Parkitect still the best bet for an RCT successor that will fulfill the business management aspect of the game?

Shuttle loops are welcome in Electric Ladyland, but if I see one pre-built track design you're done, son!!
(I'd start the scenarios with a decent amount of money too, maybe $100K for a 4-player scenario, so that everyone could go into building nicer rides straight away.)

I always felt like RCT was a little bit lighter on the sim elements, at least compared to predecessors like Theme Park, where you had to restock your stalls, manage your stocks, etc. A lot of the sim elements in RCT focus on helping the aesthetics of the park - for example the way the staff function, handymen cleaning up paths so they're pretty, watering gardens and mowing grass so they stay pretty, mechanics inspecting and fixing rides so that they can stay open and look pretty running. It looks like Parkitect is actually being more simmy by adding elements of stocking and restocking, and having staff do things like pick up physical delivery boxes and deliver them to the stalls. So if you really like the sim aspects of RCT, Parkitect is definitely taking that an interesting way.

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 2, 2016

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Anyone know if OpenRCT2 still has the problem where guests only come in through one park entrance? I'm designing one of those multiplayer scenarios, with a park entrance in each corner, and it'll determine whether I can give builders more room in each corner or whether I should build a connecting path throughout the map.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The best scenario goal for OpenRCT would be the "have 10 different coaster types with x excitement in your park." But make the excitement requirement like really hard, like make people build 10 different coasters with at least 10 excitement. Now that would be a challenge.

This is a really wonderful idea~ The problem is that there's no way to modify the excitement for this scenario category, so it'd be dead easy to fulfill the goals. That's why I think a short-term park value mission would be ideal - you still have to cooperate and manage money, but there can also be an element of competition in who's contributing the most park value. That's why I'm designing a scenario with four set starting points -- so that each player has a good amount of space to build that's demarcated enough, while still being a close enough map that it looks like a whole homogeneous park.

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 7, 2016

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
How is the theming of the rides? Are they generic rides that you can apply different themes to, or is each themed ride a separate entity from the others?

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

RCTW is now available for $50 Early Access on Steam.

Someone take the bait and let us know.

This already happened earlier in the topic.

Everyone got a refund within the allotted amount of time.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Jesus Christ that looks like a loving release-date PS2 game.

And it's gonna be almost double the price of Planet Coaster when it releases. At least no one's gonna fall for the brand-naming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Someone gifted me Parkitect, but I also got the pre-alpha. I'm a dummy and activated it on Steam using the gift already. Would I be able to give away my Steam key from the pre-alpha?