Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I really like RCT1 but I never gave the sequel a shot because I heard that the scenarios were poo poo (yes this kind of thing does matter to me, after playing most of RCT1 I think I concluded that Sawyer has a point, a directed experience with clear goals and a park with a lot of personality in terms of terrain and theme are what really made me find RCT a satisfying and deep game even if there is no real sandbox mode), But I remember hearing that there was a way to import the old scenarios from the first game into the sequel while making use of the new features, does anybody know anything else about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Control Volume posted:

a quick google search brings up this
http://www.reddit.com/r/rct/comments/1h93gx/more_exact_recreations_of_rct1_scenarios_for_rct2/

assuming these are the same ones that i used a longass time ago, they're pretty exact, the one major difference though is i think you're locked into either charging a park entrance fee or a ride ticket fee, you're not allowed to do both

Oh so its more that the scenarios have been remade? I'll probably give it a shot anyway, thanks!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

AlphaKretin posted:

So how do you do Mobius coasters in RCT1? They show up in the LP but the game won't let me out two stations on one ride.

How is it stopping you, are you not able to get a station platform as part of the special track elements (like on-ride photo or whatever) on any coasters? Are you unable to place exits or entrances?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Oh man, this game is so great, especially when paired up with the Control Volume brand naming scheme, I was having a laugh with Funtopia today:

First the main attractions (admittedly, Ron and Ayn's is a pre-existing build, but I won't pass up any very high excitement ratings where I find them!):

I have trouble keeping the dueling roller-coaster's intensity under control, still proper incentivisation have made them some of the most popular attractions in the park!

A tribute to the USA's beginnings:

Next are the more restrained rides, including a truly terrifying haunted house, the truest happiness that can be found on earth and something to leave my pawns confused, exhausted and vulnerable to mental control make sure everyone can fully partake in the Church's customs and activities:

a particularly hopeless maze awaits those who reject the programme:

Our methods may be unpopular with so-called 'Medical professionals' but their success can't be denied by our members, we just require a small fee for church expenses...

Not even we can make excuses for this particularly wonky house:

Finally the food court has all of your church-approved needs covered:

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 10, 2015

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I see a lot of vomit on those paths, I don't know if our Lord L. Ron Hubbard would approve!

Acceptable outcome in the thetan exorcising process (I noticed that some of benches were broken near the end and I didn't have enough handymen so I tried to sort that our near the end).

Also I was disappointed there was no Mexican food place to build which I could call Taco Siege :(

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
To be fair, a reviewer I like who was pretty pessimistic about the game said the stuff he played was better than he expected:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hagUR21xaTY

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I just had a look at Frontier's wiki page, how many bloody rollercoaster building games are they going to end up making?!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Why would you listen to reddit?

Why would you listen to somethingawful?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Welp, once again it looks like its on Frontier to deliver the goods after a more famous company promising to create a similar experience poo poo the bed.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Dante80 posted:

If FDEV doesn't gently caress it up "Sim City" style, I think that this could become a pretty good game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWX5zi-8iWk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rntg6_K6uZA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGNJDg-0G4A

So far I'm not seeing any of the red flags that Simcity 2013 threw up before release so I'm pretty confident in this.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mazz posted:

Excitement: Low
Nausea: Extreme

'I've been standing in line for Roller coaster Tycoon World for ages'
'I want to go on something more thrilling than Roller coaster Tycoon World'
'Just looking at Roller coaster Tycoon World makes me feel sick'
'I want to go home'
'I'm not paying that much to go on Roller coaster Tycoon World'
'I want to get off Roller coaster Tycoon World'
'I'm not going on Roller coaster Tycoon World, it isn't safe'
'Help, I'm drowning!'

etc.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
So what does RCTW aim to do that will set apart from both Planet Coaster and RCT3?

Also, given what we've seen now, I can scarcely imagine what this would have been like if it actually was released on its original release date.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Taeke posted:

RCT World is so incredibly hosed, isn't it?

Anyway, this reminds me of something, and this is probably one of the best places to ask. Why hasn't there ever been a proper education sim/tycoon game? It seems pretty straight forward: you start out small with a kindergarten/elementary school and you go to middle/high school, eventually all the way up to college/university. Build classrooms, labs, teacher lounges, etc. Hire staff, manage extra curricular activity, sports, etc.

I think a game like that could be a lot of fun, like Theme Hospital was, so why hasn't anybody done that yet?

Most sim games I've played in my life make physical and financial expansion the main mark of progress, would that work if you were trying to simulate an education facility? Its not like real life elementary schools 'level up' into high schools and then Colleges, additionally my current college hasn't expanded much over the last two centuries and my primary school is mostly the same now compared to 2 decades ago. I dunno, it might work for a university simulator but I don't think education would fit into the cut-throat capitalist mechanics that most sim/management games have made standard, unless you were explicitly simulating a lovely Trump university type of organisation.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Orv posted:

On the design front it would probably look something like those Airport Tycoon games from the early/mid 2000s, where you had big old empty husks of buildings that you filled with rooms and then filled rooms with amenities. Progression, as noted by khwarezm, is another issue that I'm not sure is solvable from a realistic standpoint, so it'd need to be abstract at best, maybe something like a Sim City 4 region but a school district for elementary, middle, high school, college, technical schools, what have you.

For progression, what you could do is something similar to what the original RCT and first 3 Simcity games did, offer carefully designed scenarios that require the player to reach a goal and solve specific problems under time and money pressure. I think when done well that can be really satisfying and its one of the reasons I think the first Rollercoaster Tycoon and its expansions are so good. I don't know if education simulator 2016 would be able to support a very enjoyable sandbox mode because of the progression problems I mentioned, given how uneventful, static and rote schools and such tend to be, which would be a big problem compared to other management Sims. Now Taeke mentions Theme Hospital but I never got around to playing that much, a hospital would seem to be fairly similar so how are things organised there? Is there a sandbox mode or anything? Doesn't that game eschew any pretensions of realism to be more wacky, comical and videogamey?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

BattleHamster posted:

I think adding a checkbox for stuff like this is just needlessly complicating the UI.

It absolutely would not, come on.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Jabor posted:

Anyone who knows anything about designing user interfaces will tell you that adding options that provide minimal benefit turns even the best UI into a horrible crapheap.

They'll also tell you that when any non-technical user says "we want an option for this", they almost certainly actually don't.

I personally do not understand why how pretty's my UI is an actual concern in this instance. If I open up a menu that says 'gameplay options' I want that list to be detailed, even if I'm not going to use a lot of the stuff there because I expect a open sandbox/simulator game to allow me to modify the experience to my liking. And this isn't some ridiculous uber grognard option where I'm not fully aware of the consequences like disabling fast travel in an elder scrolls game or something, its an integral element of the design that's existed in pretty much all of the best rollercoaster games I've played, I'd expect it to be given some kind of lip service even if its just color marker like other people have suggested.

I remember the most recent thief remake was ghastly in almost every way, but I thing I really had to commend it for was having a massive amount of options that let you tailor the game to your preferences in almost every way possible. I really think more (and better) developers should take in that kind of philosophy for their games.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 16, 2016

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

BattleHamster posted:

I get the feeling that people just read the first sentences of my posts and then stop...

Ignoring all the design, QA, and coding effort that would go into making sure such a checkbox works correctly, just on a UI basis there are hundreds of better solutions to this issue that limit you in the same way without hiding an checkbox in the options screen where 90% of people will never care to look. Here are a few that have been brought up before:

- Add a multiplier to cash spent on roller coaster pieces above a certain height
- Make height a more prominent aspect of the construction UI and gradually change the color of the height number from green to red as you approach what would previously be the limit
- Don't add anything and rely on players to impose their own limits

All of these substantially reduce the workload needed for implementation.

One of the biggest problems with the checkbox solution is that it relies on prior knowledge. The user has to somehow know that the checkbox exists in the 'gameplay options' menu or you have to count on them going into that screen and actually reading about the option instead of just looking for the whatever else brought them there. If you actually think height limitations are valuable to gameplay then you should implement a solution that makes it easier, not harder, for players to find it.

Ok, you are acting like this is way more drat complex than it actually is. Unless Frontier is staffed by lobsters and the game was coded by chimps it cannot possibly be that much effort, or have that large an impact on the UI. I mean, in the original RCT the options menu lets you choose whether you want to use Dollars, Pounds, and like nine other currencies including Guilders and Yen, maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but the existence of that incredibly inconsequential option didn't make looking at RCT's UI a nightmarish example of terrible UI design(RCT's UI is bad for other reasons, namely popping fifteen new windows every time you click on something). Making a toggleable option in the options menu is just about the least intrusive way I can think of approaching this issue, if you're really worried about people somehow missing it in this age of google searches and steam guides just make it a visible option at the start of a new game, Master of Orion (for example) did that with a bunch of its more divisive mechanics.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

BattleHamster posted:

If you want to continue this I would be interested in knowing why you think a checkbox is a good solution, and not a bad one, in comparison to the other solutions I listed earlier. That's the actual argument i'm trying to make, not that implementation of any checkbox ever is some herculean task or that it will ruin any UI.

Because its simple, unobtrusive will work for everybody and does not add in extra visual information when actually playing the game that might be superfluous to most people. All of the other ideas can be implemented alongside if you want (and have been in the past, considering that height increases cost in the RCT games, often prohibitively), so there's no reason to treat this as an either/or situation.

For me personally I tend to prefer when games have an option to enforce a rule rigidly within their own systems rather than you doing that through your own sense of 'Honor', I admit I'm weak and usually have to have something slapping my hand away from the cookie jar, which makes me love stuff like XCOM's Ironman mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

WebDog posted:

DLC that adds feathers. Be amazing if they have a DNA mixer to create outlandish Dino's.

Oh man, I'd love to see what the game's approach to feathers will be, It'd be very nice if it was an available option at least, or that you could mod it in.