Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
We have not one, or more likely zero, but three park management sims coming out in the next year or so. I could not be more stoked, RCT is what infected me with that horrible disease that has grown into Anno and Dwarf Fortress and poo poo, and maybe one of them will be good. Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
This thread has got me playing RCT1 seriously for the first time in quite a while, as opposed to my usual schtick of doing the first four or five missions and then stopping. It seems that all the forums discussions, guides and little tricks I've accumulated over the years have made me terrifyingly proficient at this game. It's a nice feeling.

Orv
May 4, 2011
What even the gently caress.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

Do any of you know how scenery affects ride ratings? I know that if you put scenery near a ride, it improves its stats, but I can't find any details anywhere. Like, how close should it be, should it all be from the same theme, does the value of the items matter, and so on..

I don't think anyone but Chris Sawyer really knows. Just jam poo poo directly next to rides and make it look cool for your own satisfaction.

Orv
May 4, 2011

HopperUK posted:

It's okay, I'm watching nerdcubed and he managed to make a coaster with an excitement rating of 0.22 and an intensity rating of 17. Personally I think anything that intense is going to be at least a *little* exciting. 'Oh look, my guts just flew out of my mouth as we went round a corner, snore'.

To get an intensity of 17 in the RCT engine you have to be doing Gs that will jelly people, so you ain't seeing poo poo.

E: I want to say 15 is the lethal boundary for intensity, but it's been a while since I made something that bad.

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 8, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

Finish it you loving fucker.

Orv
May 4, 2011
this tijuana donkey show is really good value!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I think it looks rad :shrug:

I like how easy it seems to build coasters and paths.

Hey if it's not bad then awesome, but I'll remain pessimistic for now.

Also please stop calling them peeps, please god.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jehde posted:

They've been called that from the start?

I know! :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011
RCT:W December 10th. Switched developers three (3) times. $50.

Probably not.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's like saying Pol Pot did technically have a lower body count than Hitler.

Orv
May 4, 2011

He did, they're just both still in the millions. You heard it here first, DNF as bad as genocide.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Manic X posted:

3 had the potential to be a great game, but it was plagued with bugs. I never stuck the game out long enough to see if those bugs were fixed mind you.

They were and the expansions played out that potential rather well.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Shiiiiiiit...

E: Oh nevermind, they've disabled money and guests for the test so gently caress that.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Please stop trying to convince yourselves that RCTW will be good, you're only hurting the ones you love.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Matthewtheman posted:

So I've been having fun with coaster cam in rct3. What are some pants-shittingly fast and intense coasters I could make? I want to try them on coaster cam.

Find a build of the Six Flags Superman steel coaster, it'd probably be under hyper coasters.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Bizarro actually has a pretty different track from the original two.

E: Still has the drop though, which is what you're looking for.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait, OpenRCT2 has multiplayer?!

Not emptyquoting.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Well...at least they recognized problems and are saying they're going to fix them before releasing? :shrug:

If they delayed it from just testing the coaster portion I can only imagine the shitstorm when they actually test guests and economy, if they do.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The deluxe version is also technically out right now, because they changed the Steam system date for the base game but not the deluxe package. Not that you can play it, because it requires the base game, but it's a good measure of competence.

Orv
May 4, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

PlanetCoaster has posted a new video and while the polished interview-style developer-speak is cringe worthy, this game looks to have some pretty amazing landscaping and thing tools. Well worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOAiH4_Wrc4

That looks really drat good.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Courtesy of the LPs To Watch thread, this is cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUNbmRyP3WA

Orv
May 4, 2011

resting bort face posted:

Did anybody catch that Planet Coaster dev stream that happened yesterday?

It's right here if you want to watch it.

Orv fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 3, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah as neat as Parkitect is it doesn't distinguish itself meaningfully from RCT1/2. Which is fine, it's relatively early days, but in my limited digging they don't seem particularly upset about that or interested in upending it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
For being a dumb rear end in a top hat who backed Elite early I got a coupon that'll bring it down to only $67 but it lasts into April so I'm waiting for some internet words on content, polish, etc.

Goddamn that song of theirs is just eternally catchy though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Crazy Pigeon posted:

Since when has the ability to play the alpha gotten to cost more than the actual game?

For a couple years now it's been the standard.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Crazy Pigeon posted:

Huh well I haven't heard any games having JUST the alpha costing 50% more than the full title price but I don't follow early access games enough I guess. I still am sort of looking forward to the game but they should have made it like at a maximum 10 dollar addition rather than 45. Kinda just seems like a dick move being that high. If they wanted funding for the game(though frontier has already claimed that it is fully funded and will release regardless of preorders) they should have started a kickstarter instead.

The intent when this started happening was that people who just wanted to play the game would be driven off by the price, leaving it to people who were truly invested in the idea and would actually test and give good feedback. Unfortunately real life rarely breaks down in that way along the money lines, so it's basically just the norm that fucks everyone equally.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I can still hear the rattle of cars and the scream of rollercoaster riders from RCT1 without trying, hopefully Planet Coaster is even near that level of memorable.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That loving merry-go-round song.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I wonder how much of RCT you could code in SmileBASIC.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I can neither confirm nor deny that I did a dumb thing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Nope.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dante80 posted:

Yes.

Windows 7 64bit or newer
Intel Core i5 -2300, AMD FX-4300 or better
8GB Ram
Nvidia GTX 560 / ATI Radeon 7850 Graphics card with 2GB of Graphics Memory or better

Everything about the alpha here.
https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/1652-Everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-Planet-Coaster-alpha

:argh:

Seems reasonable for the details they want to put in it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Initial thoughts in mostly the order they happened:
They're sticking with the peppy guitar noodling and low key vocals for a music theme it seems, nice and chill.

Little choppy on High preset (no custom settings yet) with a 660M and a mobile i7, turned down to low, ran fine and still looked plenty okay when I poo poo lights everywhere to mess with it.

Path placement is a little finnicky until you get a handle on how they want you to use the snap to degree tools for certain problems. You get a width selector in 2m increments from 2 to 10, and a length in non-measured units of 1 to 5. With a straight 1 length barely adds anything, 5 is longer than most of the flat rides currently in. Putting them down in curves is sort of mindfucky because the aforementioned finnickyness means what they'll chose to snap to and when during your mouse movement can be kind of a giant pain. Still I sketched out a ever-widening loop of paths fairly quickly once I got a handle on it and it was mostly perfect circles.

Very modern selection of attractions, lots of hydraulic and rotational stuff. Haven't properly messed with any of them yet, nor coaster building.

Scenery placement. I want to say "ugh" as my immediate pithy review of the tools as they currently stand but I'm not sure it's totally justified. As the tools are right now you can't scale pieces (god I hope that is something they intend) so you have to build anything with a curve to very specific standards or your curved roof pieces just gently caress off into space. From what I can see while they want you to build more organic/life-like parks the scenery tools right now are best suited to grid laid scenery. That's not to say you can't build fancy pathways but anything you build to cover a queue or ticket booth or ride is going to mostly need to be a box. That's not the worst thing ever, but with 9 of the 13 current rides not being box shapes (and also being really big compared to any of the RCT games, even 3) it's kind of a minor nightmare.

That said, I am totally intrigued and will be diving deep into this right now, I'll probably be back later today or tomorrow with a quick flyover of whatever I end up with.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It does yeah. The issue I was having was that when you're trying to bend a path onto another one it can be a little unclear at what point your mouse will start attaching to where. The interaction boxes for paths intersecting at odd angles is a little wobbly.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It was horrible officer, I opened a video game and suddenly it was four hours later and I was in Seattle. I had a fedora and a neckbeard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETUwjLH6Wb0

That video is four hours of work with scenery stuff and some vague thoughts on what it's like as an actual game rather than a canvas for dumb bullshit. I can give more definite impressions if people have questions on things, or once I mess with the coaster builder.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This is a screenshot of the same park during night on High preset, during which it is the merest definition of playable imaginable, and certainly not something I'd ever tolerate for actually playing the game. I'm ultra terrible at judging FPS by eye, I have to really concentrate to notice 60 if I'm not looking for it, but it stayed pretty much unerringly steady on low and flounders about in the low double digits on high.

With regards to the pathing question, both of my ticket booth gently caress ups resulted from me placing the booth without sliding it about sufficiently to let it connect queue to path. Unfortunately there's no way to remove ticket booths at the moment, and I was too far into that so I said gently caress it. Little did I know it autosaves every five minutes but oh well.

And yeah, that's how your supposed to branch/connect paths, and it can even been done at totally weird angles that birth completely deformed paths.

Orv fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 22, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011

Electric Lady posted:

How is the theming of the rides? Are they generic rides that you can apply different themes to, or is each themed ride a separate entity from the others?

Currently they just are. Not so much themed as just flashy. I get the impression they really want you to be taking the full modern theme park approach and ensconcing your queues and ticket booths in pavilions and structures to hide that. Painting rides will come later, though the extent of that and whether they can be theme painted is unknown.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dante80 posted:

Looks good, for an alpha. Your PC stats?

Oh, those stats, right duh.
i7 3630QM
nvidia 660M
12GB DDR2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
You should never, ever for any reason buy anything less than an X50 of Nvidia cards, just as a heads up. Buying a X20/30/40 might as well not be an upgrade.