Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm not certain I know what story you're referring to.

This one, probably:

Obviously total bullshit, but it sounds fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

The one thing that RCT3 did really well was the waterparks. Being able to design the pools how you wanted was cool. Shame that lazy rivers were so finicky and you couldn't put shops in the waterpark areas, and some of the slides still had to have really long stations for there to be multiple riders at once, but I'd love to see it make a return in future games. The safari stuff could have done with a lot of improvement, but being able to send some rides actually directly through the enclosures was cool. Shame nobody ever modded in dinosaurs for the safari stuff.

Also, I wonder if the new games have thought of adding the circular rotating stations that River Rapids rides normally use instead of just the usual long straight ones.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

The restriction on how tight corners can be is a bit of a pain. Placed a wooden coaster and put a turn about the same as the old small corners right at the start of the track, and the first car keeps falling off the track on it even going at the really low 'leaving the station' speed :(

Also you can't force it to make a straight line, you have to eyeball it every time.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Gave RCTW another go and then went and asked Steam for a refund. It's not good :smith:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

PlanetCoaster has posted a new video and while the polished interview-style developer-speak is cringe worthy, this game looks to have some pretty amazing landscaping and thing tools. Well worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOAiH4_Wrc4

The landscaping looks fantastic, especially using voxels instead of just a heightmap. The brief glimpse of the coaster building we saw in there was pretty good too, having all the rotation tools right there on the end of the track piece instead of having to click on a toolbar and then use keyboard controls is exactly the sort of thing that style needs.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So the planet coaster guys uploaded these about a week ago.

Its so lovely. :allears:

That building is amazing, but the best thing I saw was in the terrain editing video. You can just raise the terrain through building parts! No errors or keeping the terrain flat under the scenery or anything!

thedaian posted:

I know it's a simple thing, but when they built paths between the archway building segments and the paths just went through them properly, that was cool. I don't think it was possible to do that in any of the previous games.

I think you might have been able to do it, but only with specific parts designed to go over paths.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Well apparently the terrain editing tools aren't going to be in this first alpha, which is a bummer. On the other hand though, looks like you can do some ridiculous poo poo with them when we do get them :eyepop:

From here

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Zero One posted:

Anyone try the coaster editor yet?

I had a quick go earlier. It's far better than RCTW's one already, although it has the same problem with the paths in that you keep needing to go down to a slider on the UI to change track piece length. Otherwise it's pretty easy to create actual straight sections and more precise corners as you have adjustable angle snapping. Only real problem I has was that it was hard to get the track lined back up with the station when finishing the ride.

Oh, and there's no testing or track auto-complete yet.

edit: It's quick once you get used to it. Build this in under 10 minutes:

Icedude fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 23, 2016

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Only problems I have with building stuff: No glass roofs to go with the glass walls, and glass isn't transparent. Otherwise it's fantastic.

Welcome to the most depressing theme park on Earth :v:

Icedude fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 23, 2016

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Dark rides show buildings always take up a lot more space than you expect. I mean, here's the Haunted Mansion:

I guess most people will be doing the same trick Disney does of "Put a whole bunch of trees in front of it"

edit: even more appropriate, look at It's A Small World. The show building is at least half the size of the entirety of ToonTown right next door.

Icedude fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 29, 2016

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

webmeister posted:

Is this the full ride, or has it changed at some point?

Admittedly I last rode it in the early 90s, but I'm sure the version I rode had a long outdoor section as well (which was curved, not straight like the diagram above).

That's the Magic Kingdom one rather than the Disneyland one.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is the premade Woodie coaster in RCTW. I am not a coaster design expert, but this is the saddest Woodie I've ever seen. Its like they know nothing of what a woodie is supposed to be like. The design is more like a kiddie coaster.

The fact that the entire track is one long chain lift makes me think it is meant to be a kiddie coaster. But made from wood for some reason. :psyduck:

I'd say it still takes up far too much space for that, but from what I could tell from my brief pre-refund run back when people first go their hands on it, unless they've changed it any corners tighter than that would cause the trains to derail. I wish I was joking.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Taeke posted:

RCT World is so incredibly hosed, isn't it?

Anyway, this reminds me of something, and this is probably one of the best places to ask. Why hasn't there ever been a proper education sim/tycoon game? It seems pretty straight forward: you start out small with a kindergarten/elementary school and you go to middle/high school, eventually all the way up to college/university. Build classrooms, labs, teacher lounges, etc. Hire staff, manage extra curricular activity, sports, etc.

I think a game like that could be a lot of fun, like Theme Hospital was, so why hasn't anybody done that yet?

I think No Pineapple Left Behind is kind of like that, from what I can remember reading about it a few months ago.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

There's some pretty weird bugs going on, like the inverted coaster on-ride camera being upside-down, and a strange metallic clunking noise coming from some coasters, but the improved coaster tools are pretty nice! Being able to edit track piece length directly from the end of the current piece instead of having to faff around with a slider is a godsend, and you can actually leave a coaster testing while building to help figure out speeds and such. Also most coasters have a 'drive wheels' track piece so you don't have to use chain lifts on flat sections of track :allears:

I haven't had a chance to mess around with the terrain tools yet, so I can't comment there.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Abu Dave posted:

Launch Coaster in Planet Coaster yet?

There's a hydraulic launch coaster which can't do inversions, and the Wing coaster has LIMs (but no lift chain)

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

They actually managed to make RCTW look good :psypop:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Haven't had time to watch the full stream, just the short clips on youtube, but hell yeah FastPasses :woop:

I wonder if the start of the FastPass queue has to be on the main queue, or if you can have it start from another path.

Also I like how in the ride scoring it shows you the Excitement, Nausea and Fear ratings live instead of just the average at the end, so you can figure out exactly which pieces of track to tweak to get the scores the way you want.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKTkehnqGKg

Peeps actually walking around objects placed on paths, to the point of taking other paths if you barricade a path with junk :allears:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Well I'm loving the new alpha so far, but I had a bug that scared the poo poo outta me.

So for one of the Wing coasters, when the car's going there's a kind of 'humming' noise which is probably meant to be vibrations through the track. Only problem is the game randomly out of the blue decided to play the clip for it a whole bunch on top of each other, resulting in it being played SUPER loving LOUD, and I mean 'jumpscare game monster just got you' loud. Didn't help that amping it up like that made it sound like something was screaming in my ear. Haven't had it happen since, but be careful with the volume dial I guess.

Also, chain lifts don't separate blocks for some reason :shrug:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Zero One posted:

Just on the Wing coaster or all of them?

All of them.

It'd be nice if they made it a tick box in the window where you set lift speed or something.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

fralbjabar posted:

I think the key takeaway from that is "holy poo poo planet coaster can do reverse motion in the middle of a circuit coaster". Now we just need switchtracks and we can re-create stuff like Revenge of the Mummy.

Has a previous rollercoaster game had switchtracks before? I know none of the RCT games have, but maybe no limits? I never played that one.

No Limits 2 has them, but you have to write scripts for them and your entire block system in order to get them to work, otherwise they just sit there doing nothing :downs:

Icedude fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 6, 2016

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

While I'm glad to see the height limits go as it made stuff like building coasters over the gorge in the gorge map impossible, I do have to say hopefully it'll still be there for some scenarios for when you're park is limited to how high you can build anything, similar to how Alton Towers has to deal with height limits for its coasters.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-ODtILmVOY

:swoon:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

The scifi theme is pretty good, but could really use some more pieces and themed rides. The hypercoaster does make for a fairly good Space Mountain style ride if you shorten the train down though:

Anyone got any good hints at building coasters? I just can't seem to get the balance right between "slow and wimpy" and "euthanasia coaster", and trying to time block sections correctly is a nightmare.

Also found one bit of :frontear:. Flat rides, tracked rides, and scenery speakers all have different selections of music that you can't swap between, so if you want a certain flat ride's music for your coaster, or scenery music for your monorail, too bad! :doh:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

meatsaw posted:

No kidding. 100% scenery queue. Not mine (or anything like mine).

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=804039325

\/\/\/\/ What got me is it looks like a real park queue, and not the animatronic laden monstrosities I normally set up.

How did they get the FastPass queue to hook up so neatly?! :aaaaa:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Almost as if to put the last nail in RCTW's coffin, Frontier are suing Atari for unpaid royalties from RCT3 :laugh:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

New Planet Coaster patch, with a new ride!

Also, the patch notes gave me a good laugh:

quote:

• Added Scizzer ride audio and "Friendship Drive Engaged" music track.

Also other good stuff:

quote:

• Allow items to be removed from sale in shops
  • Live Data stats changed from acceleration to actual g-forces (factoring in gravity)
  • Added new Guest Thoughts
  • Extensive Improvements and tweaks added to the guest queuing behaviour to improve guest judgement of queues and improve assessment of queue lengths
  • Coaster trains no longer ignore minimum departure interval.

Edit: Also is it just me or are there more prefab buildings now?

Icedude fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 26, 2017

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Also a Water Coaster and a Side-Friction Coaster are coming with that update.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

So we've got those Universal Studios Backlot Tour busses and what sounds like the Tower of Terror from either Disney's Hollywood Studios (or more likely the one that used to be at California Adventure).

I wonder if the third one is going to be like Harry Potter & The Forbidden Journey, or if it's going to be more like the robotic arm coaster from RCT3.

Also I hope the Backlot Tour busses get the 'rickety bridge that wobbles a bit when the bus stops on it' as a track piece.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Frontier did a stream showing off the Studio pack stuff.

No rickety bridge track piece for the backlot trams :(

Hotels have a Lobby that places like a staff room, and then you assign Rooms to the hotel which you also have to place (but don't need to connect to paths or anything)

The Tower of Terror is almost like the Orlando one, and is entirely reskinnable :aaa:

The robotic arm ride has the track underneath, and has cool unique track sections with rotating parabolic screens. Also apparently all track rides now have a 'pause' track section for pausing the car for a few seconds.

Oh, and TONS of new animatronic people. The new ones can be recoloured, but the old ones still can't :nallears:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Studio Pack's now out :toot:

...but don't build a hotel just yet, because they totally drain guests' hunger, thirst and happiness bars :doh:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

You could tranq escaped animals from a helicopter in RCT3 too. I think you could tranq guests too but I can't really remember.

I've had some time over the last few days to work on this thing:

Going for an EPCOT-style pavillions theme, Flight and Land are done, working on a Sea themed area now and have some ideas for Space. Still only about half finished and I don't even know what to put in the concrete area in the bottom left.

God I wish there was a fence tool like in JW:E. I am not looking forward to putting railings up around the lake...

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Zedd posted:

You meant like this? Cause thats a solid ride yeah.

I can't remember if you can turn off rolling back through the station in 1, or if that's an OpenRCT2 thing, but you can go smaller

edit: Shame it doesn't work in RCT3. Needs 4 station tiles and a large corkscrew and only gives 0.96 Excitement :v:

Icedude fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 17, 2018

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Just a heads up that the new World's Fair Pack DLC for Planet Coaster is out.

It only has two new rides, a hydraulic launched Bike Coaster (with two car types) and a Peoplemover ( :woop: ), but comes with a bunch of new food shops and some international building peices, most notably Chinese style stuff.

Also the free part of the update has vending machines for all food types (vending machine burgers, anyone?), and made it so you can add custom tags to scenery/building items to make it easier to search. You can also recolour the guys manning the ride operation booths and ticket gates too (and operating the ride itself on stuff like the trains). Oh, and restaurants but they're just reskinned hotels.

Icedude fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 16, 2018

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

You should absolutely play Parkitect with the Coaster Anarchy mod

Yes, those are gokarts, with alpine coaster cars for the vehicles, going upside down

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

GhostDog posted:

Did Planet Coaster ever add the ability to mod in new assets? I remember it only being possible to share creations out of the existing parts.

You can add in scenery items smaller than 8x8x8m now, but that's about it.

Also there was supposed to be a DLC released yesterday with a schwarzkopf and stuff but the chairlifts broke and delayed it :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

And with the Coaster Anarchy mod you can put turntables and elevators on everything which is a nice surprise. I was expecting those to be bespoke parts which just wouldn't work for any other ride