Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Who What Now posted:

I wield power every time I turn on a light switch. :smug:

You don't exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

CommieGIR posted:

God is simply the laws of nature. Nothing more.

those would be God's laws...perfect and unbreakable

God is the entirety of the physical universe, including the nonpphysical by-product of individual awareness.

Religion is just a social power structure which includes a psychological safety net woven of practical wisdom embellished with fantasies, to give the fantasies social currency.

but, gently caress religion and religious idiots in the same way that the world fucks me because I suck at math.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

Unless you have an actual idea of how to accomplish inverting society's power structures then all this is is a load of meaningless, pompous, and most of all useless bullshit. We already know what needs to be done so needlessly dressing up the message in Jesus terms doesn't help in the slightest. So great job, Brandor, you've independently came to the same conclusions political activists did more than half a century ago.

Which political activists would those be?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

Which political activists would those be?

Anarcho-Communists, I'd imagine, what with the whole "overthrow the powerful at the top(the capitalists and bourgeoisie classes) and love your neighbor as your brother (in a stateless cooperative society)" thing. Unless Brandor isn't talking about inverting power and instead only means that the powerful need to be replaced with Jesus. Which would be much more akin to Stalinist Communism, being based around a cult of personality of a man of humble beginnings (the son of a cobbler vs the son of a carpenter) and the message of mutual cooperation for the benefit of the greater good (and the party/church most of all) that says it's going to change everything but in reality changes very little.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

Anarcho-Communists, I'd imagine, what with the whole "overthrow the powerful at the top(the capitalists and bourgeoisie classes) and love your neighbor as your brother (in a stateless cooperative society)" thing. Unless Brandor isn't talking about inverting power and instead only means that the powerful need to be replaced with Jesus. Which would be much more akin to Stalinist Communism, being based around a cult of personality of a man of humble beginnings (the son of a cobbler vs the son of a carpenter) and the message of mutual cooperation for the benefit of the greater good (and the party/church most of all) that says it's going to change everything but in reality changes very little.

I don't think we'd be talking about "the powerful vs." at all if it wasn't for Jesus.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

I don't think we'd be talking about "the powerful vs." at all if it wasn't for Jesus.

What? There are plenty of stories about a humble, weak person standing against the powerful. Just in the Bible alone there is David and Goliath or Moses (ok, Moses wasn't very humble a lot of the time) vs the pharaoh. Jesus was hardly the first underdog in human history.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

What? There are plenty of stories about a humble, weak person standing against the powerful. Just in the Bible alone there is David and Goliath or Moses (ok, Moses wasn't very humble a lot of the time) vs the pharaoh. Jesus was hardly the first underdog in human history.

Nobody just lays it out like John the Baptist and Jesus though. Like, John the Baptist was literally the first anarcho-communist

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Maybe. I'm not familiar enough with non-abrahamic faiths to be confident making that claim, though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

Nobody just lays it out like John the Baptist and Jesus though. Like, John the Baptist was literally the first anarcho-communist

Would that make Jesus a statist?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

SedanChair posted:

I don't think that's true, that antagonism existed well before any of this is supposed to happen.

But what is interesting is the satirical aspect. In early religions (and many religions of today), favor for the gods is demonstrated by worldly success. If the harvests were bad, you didn't pray hard enough. The satire of the gospels is that you have this guy who matches previous Jewish prophecies about what the prophet will be, is incorruptible and can demonstrate magical ability - who is then murdered.

The implicit message is that every prophet, that has ever existed or will exist, must be false, because society is incapable of recognizing or empowering the righteous. So, in other words, punishment/favor isn't granted in this world by being bad/good, poo poo just happens.

But none of that matters, because myth is ideology, so you don't see that reading anywhere.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 20, 2015

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Prometheus fights the gods themselves because he believes that they are unjust.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I am god. Ask me anything.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Why are you so lovely at your job?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

rudatron posted:

I don't think that's true, that antagonism existed well before any of this is supposed to happen.

But what is interesting is the satirical aspect. In early religions (and many religions of today), favor for the gods is demonstrated by worldly success. If the harvests were bad, you didn't pray hard enough. The satire of the gospels is that you have this guy who matches previous Jewish prophecies about what the prophet will be, is incorruptible and can demonstrate magical ability - who is then murdered.

The implicit message is that every prophet, that has ever existed or will exist, must be false, because society is incapable of recognizing or empowering the righteous. So, in other words, punishment/favor isn't granted in this world by being bad/good, poo poo just happens.

But none of that matters, because myth is ideology, so you don't see that reading anywhere.

It is very likely that the crucifixion is for satirical act of the triumphant entry.

In early Christianity the favor of God is often demonstrated by martyrdom. You see people looking forward to it. It's not "poo poo just happens". It's the better more Godly you are the shittier the poo poo that happens is. Society recognizes the righteous, it just murders them. The inversion is that this (their death) empowers them and advances what they stood for.

And the gospels are being written by people whose dreams (of a renewed Israel) are being utterly crushed. Rome kicking the poo poo out of them prompts the writing of the gospels.

Who What Now posted:

Unless you have an actual idea of how to accomplish inverting society's power structures then all this is is a load of meaningless, pompous, and most of all useless bullshit.

Well there is that matter of that example written about that one guy. For the life of me I can't think of it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BrandorKP posted:

Well there is that matter of that example written about that one guy. For the life of me I can't think of it.

Yeah, "get yourself executed by the state" seems like a really lovely plan to me.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Who What Now posted:

Why are you so lovely at your job?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8N1RU71MMk

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Who What Now posted:

Yeah, "get yourself executed by the state" seems like a really lovely plan to me.

Say that we should protest just to get arrested
That goes against all my hustling ethics
A bunch of jail niggas say its highly ineffective

Quift
May 11, 2012

Trent posted:

Is it later yet?

I know you were replying to someone else's use, but Jesus :ironicat:

Sorry, the psychology major in me loved the first quote, but the philosophy major in me insisted on the second quote.
:roflolmao:
I really should have phrased that better. Judge thee who are prepared to be judged yourself. The irony is not lost on me.

At least the discussion has moved on from analytical philosophy.

Quift fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 27, 2015

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

I present for your consideration a fantastic debate between a Muslim scholar and an atheist scientist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k58AkHPRMsM

I found this so fascinating because I've watched a lot of atheists debate Christians while I personally am a Christian I've found their performance in these debates to be lacking. I can admit when someone I ultimately agree with has lost a debate.

I love debate and well reasoned arguments and philosophy and all that, unfortunately many Christians who like to debate are lifelong believers who seem to have not really considered the skeptical position.

Anyway, the title of the debate oddly enough seems to suggest the atheist guy won but I got the opposite impression. I found the Muslim guy had way better arguments, seemed to think about all of this stuff way more deeply, and clearly was speaking from a good place while the atheist looked flustered and mad and incredibly condescending and disrespectful.

This is very long but very fascinating. Of course I started the video agreeing with 90% of what the Muslim was saying anyway, so that may color how I viewed it.

For the non-believers in is thread who find religious arguments to be weak, consider this debate.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Exactly what part did you find compelling, because the bits I saw was fine for Krauss, and 2hrs is a...bit long to deal with a subject without much depth to it really.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

rudatron posted:

Exactly what part did you find compelling, because the bits I saw was fine for Krauss, and 2hrs is a...bit long to deal with a subject without much depth to it really.
I'm also curious. I watched long enough to listen to someone explain Zeno's paradox like I'm a child before concluding I didn't need two more hours of that.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

It was fascinating to see an obviously intelligent atheist behave like he was being schlonged in a debate he expected to be easy

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Its been 15 pages, where did we land on this re: god

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fried Chicken posted:

Its been 15 pages, where did we land on this re: god

Turns out god is on the bus after all

Quift
May 11, 2012
Yep. Turns out he was here the whole time. He was just hiding behind the definition.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

It'd be nice to think that there's something after death but it's probably just more debt, taxes and lines.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Quift posted:

This is of course not true even in the trivial sense. It is much easier and way more fun to argue that they are all true. All of them.

All of the world's religions are built by humans. Humans are essentially the same. So all myths are basically identical.

See James Campbell for example and his theory about the monomyth.

All inconsistencies are the result of failed understanding of the basic truths hidden in each myth. Some variations are obviously false interpretations, others less obvious.

The reason philosophy majors sound spergy is because they think they are smarter than the rest of humanity without having ever had an original thought. Nor have their discipline provided much knowledge about the human condition the last hundred years. Except Nietzsche of course.
nobody called you schizophrenic, just your axiology

but when you post like this

you look schizophrenic

also your tulpa god isn't real

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Spudd posted:

It'd be nice to think that there's something after death but it's probably just more debt, taxes and lines.

No, not in the crew-minded next-level, serving the true creator of the universe. Maybe if you get attached to a Luciferian being your mind/soul could persist in such a condition of service.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Thou art God.

Discuss.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
The Sun is God.

Sources:
(1) http://www.starlarvae.org/

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

SedanChair posted:

:barf:

Come on dude, even for a D&D god thread this is some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

Turns out god is on the bus after all

Tell him to get off. He's stinking up the place.

• Locked thread