Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Disappointed you aren't doing Crystal Souls, but I can see not wanting to take on another long game like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Be sure to also check out his Geneforge and Avadon series. The early Geneforge games are getting a little creaky (they're next to be remade once Avernum 3: Ruined World comes out), but there's still a ton of great RPG content there.
There's a reason why no Geneforge LPs make it past the first settlement - it's a huge chore to play right now.

Anyways, thanks for the LP.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
I would totally suffer through a Geneforge LP if I wasn't already mucking about with Rune Factory.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Xander77 posted:

There's a reason why no Geneforge LPs make it past the first settlement - it's a huge chore to play right now.

Geneforge is my least favourite of all of the SpiderWeb IPs, with Avernum/Exile being first, but I certainly don't *dislike* Geneforge and I would still like to see them remade. I believe that Jeff has said that after reremaking Ruined World, which I personally can't wait for, he is going to put out a new IP before remaking Geneforge 1. Frankly, I think that he should do Geneforge first. I'm not that keen on it myself, but 1 and 2 especially are hard to enjoy these days and I think that a lot of people would enjoy having a more modern version of them.

I really don't want another IP from Jeff so much as I would like another game in the vein of Nethergate.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
What was Elly referencing there in the last update at the end?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

JustJeff88 posted:

I really don't want another IP from Jeff so much as I would like another game in the vein of Nethergate.

At this point I think you can say with some certainty that the Nethergate IP is done. He's had tons of time to return to it; if he thought it was worth pursuing he would have. I suspect the problem is primarily one of setting; games with unfamiliar settings tend to be less successful. Jeff has to think of his business first and foremost.

Nuramor posted:

How many times has this game been remade?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

At this point I think you can say with some certainty that the Nethergate IP is done. He's had tons of time to return to it; if he thought it was worth pursuing he would have. I suspect the problem is primarily one of setting; games with unfamiliar settings tend to be less successful. Jeff has to think of his business first and foremost.

I see your point, but why then would he try a new IP when GF/Avernum are his cash cows? I feel that remaking Geneforge would be more profitable than a new IP that may very well flop.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

JustJeff88 posted:

I see your point, but why then would he try a new IP when GF/Avernum are his cash cows? I feel that remaking Geneforge would be more profitable than a new IP that may very well flop.

If you exploit an IP too heavily then it becomes stale and your audience loses interest. Probably not a huge problem for Geneforge at this point considering the first game came out 15 years ago (and the most recent game is still 5 years old).

The other thing going on here is that he's been alternating between remaking a game, and making a new game, for the past six years or so.

Lychnis
Jul 22, 2015

Flowers are beautiful, and smell nice.
:applause:

This was well done, and just terrific fun overall. Congratulations, and thank you so much!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Nuramor posted:

How many times has this game been remade?

And, you know, when you find the name of God the universe will end.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Tangentially conceptually related: https://libraryofbabel.info/

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.

:monocle: Goddrat how did I miss this? I can tell you how: you can't hurt friendly NPCs with spells. AoE attacks just go right through them, and if you try to target them with a single-target spell (like Bolt of Fire) then you get an error message "this spell only works on enemies".

But if you attack a friendly NPC with a bow or melee weapon, you get a nice prompt "are you sure you want to do this?" and then the attack goes through. And they go hostile.

Man, I've been playing this game all wrong. Thanks for the correction!

I always like killing off Linda. Take THAT, sequels!

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Munin posted:

Tangentially conceptually related: https://libraryofbabel.info/

i hate you now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
And we're archived. Thanks again for sticking with me through this, everyone!

• Locked thread