Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluddwolf
Jul 21, 2015
In both Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms there are plenty of Independent cities and towns (hamlets), however there are few that I would consider as "Sanctuary Cities", open to illegals, criminals or unwanted ethnic or racial groups.

One such example is Ten Towns, who was open to Drittz Do'Urden (a Drow), who would normally be shunned or even hunted down in most other settlements.

This also taints the impression of these settlements or cities, and I find it curious and worthy of discussion:

What are the pros on cons of Sanctuary Cities?

Can it be legitimately argued that they impact in a positive or negative way the broader community, outside of its sanctuary granted jurisdiction?

What alignment would be best attributed to a Sancuary City? - this question is the most confusing to me to answer. Since a sanctuary policy is lawful in nature, it being a policy that is followed. However, it is open a supports freedom, which tends to be more chaotic. The suspension of judgement, is not either good or evil, so clearly any Sanctualry City would have "Neutrality" as a component of its alignment.

I'm debating between LN, N and CN.

As always I like to tie my gaming discussion and debate issues to real world locations or events, so:

What alignment would the city of San Francisco be? Not just based on its Sanctuary status, but maybe with other considerations as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Darksun is better and no city is ruled properly without a Sorcerer King.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
Thri-kreen hives are the only sustainable cities in Athas, imo.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Every municipality should be a Sanctuary Municipality, friend

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Abner Cadaver II posted:

Thri-kreen hives are the only sustainable cities in Athas, imo.

When Hamanu's city (Urik) was wrecked by a big defiler battle he just had people truck in cartloads of soil from elsewhere to get productive agriculture again.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Lady of Pain/Joe Biden 2016.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
I would argue that providing support and space for marginalised groups often requires extra-legal methods to get there (as the entrenched majorities often create oppressive structures which cannot be altered without such means), but the ultimate aim is to influence legislation such that society adopts and embraces a pluralistic, tolerant, and egalitarian stance with minimal intrusion in personal beliefs and affiliations - no more than is necessary for the maintenance of basic social order - at a constitutional and judicial level.

Therefore, I must believe that Sanctuary Cities are inherently True Neutral, in that they recognise the realpolitik necessity of illegal methods to attain the desired cultural outcomes, but ultimately idealise integrating these desired outcomes into a legal framework to create a truly egalitarian society.

Bluddwolf
Jul 21, 2015

Artificial Idiocy posted:

I would argue that providing support and space for marginalised groups often requires extra-legal methods to get there (as the entrenched majorities often create oppressive structures which cannot be altered without such means), but the ultimate aim is to influence legislation such that society adopts and embraces a pluralistic, tolerant, and egalitarian stance with minimal intrusion in personal beliefs and affiliations - no more than is necessary for the maintenance of basic social order - at a constitutional and judicial level.

Therefore, I must believe that Sanctuary Cities are inherently True Neutral, in that they recognise the realpolitik necessity of illegal methods to attain the desired cultural outcomes, but ultimately idealise integrating these desired outcomes into a legal framework to create a truly egalitarian society.

I struggle with putting "desired cultural outcomes" in the same paragraph and potential thought process as "truly egalitarian". For me that sounds very much like "egalitarian outcomes" which I don't see as possible with it being artificial and forced.

Equal access may be a desired cultural outcome, but even that will likely be dependent on equal traits, or qualifications to function as a gating mechanism before the access (equal or otherwise) is granted.

Bottom line, true equality rarely exists or perhaps never exists because no one is truly equal or deserving of equal treatment.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
There is no such thing as artificial egalitarian outcomes, if we are talking about equal treatment under the law in terms of rights and freedoms. The mechanisms used to arrive at that outcome do not compromise the legitimacy of the outcome; whether it takes armed slave revolts and violent demonstrations, or is possible through policy reform and education, speaks more to the nature of the oppressive society and the level of entrenchment of its prejudice at a personal an institutional level, rather than to anything about the marginalised group.

Neither of these routes makes the eventual state artificial or forced, nor do the attributes of being artificial and forced even meaningfully detract from the legal equality produced. Certainly, at non-institutional levels, people will likely retain their old prejudices.

But your concern that no society can ever be truly egalitarian because of the differing levels of talent, ability, education, or 'deservingness' between people presents an impossibly high standard of what egalitarian means. Eliminating racism from society doesn't require that every individual gets the same results, but that, all other things being equal, race alone is not a factor in the 'deservingness' leading to better outcomes.

Bluddwolf
Jul 21, 2015

There is no such thing as artificial egalitarian outcomes, if we are talking about equal treatment under the law in terms of rights and freedoms. The mechanisms used to arrive at that outcome do not compromise the legitimacy of the outcome; whether it takes armed slave revolts and violent demonstrations, or is possible through policy reform and education, speaks more to the nature of the oppressive society and the level of entrenchment of its prejudice at a personal an institutional level, rather than to anything about the marginalised group.

Neither of these routes makes the eventual state artificial or forced, nor do the attributes of being artificial and forced even meaningfully detract from the legal equality produced. Certainly, at non-institutional levels, people will likely retain their old prejudices.

But your concern that no society can ever be truly egalitarian because of the differing levels of talent, ability, education, or 'deservingness' between people presents an impossibly high standard of what egalitarian means. Eliminating racism from society doesn't require that every individual gets the same results, but that, all other things being equal, race alone is not a factor in the 'deservingness' leading to better outcomes.

When I mentioned "traits" I was suggesting character traits, and not physical / racial traits.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Wrong D&D dude.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

chaos rhames posted:

Wrong D&D dude.

Yeah, gently caress Forgotten Realms.

Bluddwolf
Jul 21, 2015

Typical Pubbie posted:

Yeah, gently caress Forgotten Realms.

I have to admit, I never played in Forgotten realms, other than in PC games. I stopped playing AD&D before 2nd edition was released and my group never shifted away from Wold of Greyhawk setting.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

wouldn't that make them neutral good? the D&D alignment matrix pretty explicitly does not equate legality with goodness

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

D&D alignment system is hilarious and on par with other fantasies like elves and wizards.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

paragon1 posted:

wouldn't that make them neutral good? the D&D alignment matrix pretty explicitly does not equate legality with goodness

This is true. Where a sanctuary city falls on the alignment between true neutral and neutral good might depend on their motivations and foreign policy. For example, if the only reason for racial equality is because racism hurts trade potential and causes violence/ other inefficiencies, and a city is a major trade hub, I would hesitate to describe their alignment as caring about 'good' (equality as a pragmatic consequence of a free market). On the other hand, if a sanctuary city views equality as an inherent social good, and actively tries to promote that agenda encouraging reform in other cities, then it would sit far more appropriately in neutral good.

So really, I guess it depends how the city role-plays its equality.

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003
Do you guys often find that Sanctuary Cities demand a certain level of conformity from those they give shelter? Does a Sanctuary City require that it's inhabitants give up a certain amount of what makes they and their cultures unique in order to function in the new society? Is this censorship enforced through implied violence?

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

Rodnik posted:

Do you guys often find that Sanctuary Cities demand a certain level of conformity from those they give shelter? Does a Sanctuary City require that it's inhabitants give up a certain amount of what makes they and their cultures unique in order to function in the new society? Is this censorship enforced through implied violence?

No, it is a voluntary by-product of free market capitalism and globalisation. Half-orcs, Drow, or Gnome - as long as people have full bellies and are making bank, their cultural rituals and beliefs matter less, and they all just want to bling out their horse and carriage with after market gilded trim while wearing the latest fashionable cloaks from Neverwinter.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Bluddwolf posted:

In both Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms there are plenty of Independent cities and towns (hamlets), however there are few that I would consider as "Sanctuary Cities", open to illegals, criminals or unwanted ethnic or racial groups. One such example is Ten Towns, who was open to Drittz Do'Urden (a Drow), who would normally be shunned or even hunted down in most other settlements.

The fundamental issue with "sanctuary cities" - and other libertarian utopias - is that it only works so long as the "right people" take advantage of it. It's great when it's inhabited solely by streetwise Robin Hoods with a heart of gold, but not so much when it's ruled by slasher gangs that have no law to fear. Ten Towns turns into Rapture pretty quickly.

Bluddwolf posted:

What alignment would be best attributed to a Sancuary City? - this question is the most confusing to me to answer. Since a sanctuary policy is lawful in nature, it being a policy that is followed. However, it is open a supports freedom, which tends to be more chaotic. The suspension of judgement, is not either good or evil, so clearly any Sanctualry City would have "Neutrality" as a component of its alignment. I'm debating between LN, N and CN.

Any particular "Sanctuary City" could vary as to its adherence to law, but on the whole I'd say that a place like Ten Towns would be Neutral, whereas Rapture would be Chaotic Neutral, and Ankh Morpork would be Lawful Neutral.

quote:

As always I like to tie my gaming discussion and debate issues to real world locations or events, so: What alignment would the city of San Francisco be? Not just based on its Sanctuary status, but maybe with other considerations as well.

San Francisco would be Lawful Good, as would most real-world cities in the world. They're generally run by people who have the positive interests of the majority in mind, with an eye toward law and order, and the class/race/gender/etc. issues of modern politics wouldn't enter into it. The closest thing we have to "sanctuary cities" would either be something like an outlaw town (such as Hole-in-the-Wall in Wyoming, which was run by cowboy outlaws) or a UN refugee camp (which are often dominated by local warlords). If they don't break up themselves due to the lack of law and order, then they end up getting invaded by outsiders who are tired of being raided by pirates/thugs/what-have-you.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 28, 2015

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Kaal posted:

The fundamental issue with "sanctuary cities" - and other libertarian utopias - is that it only works so long as the "right people" take advantage of it. It's great when it's inhabited solely by streetwise Robin Hoods with a heart of gold, but not so much when it's ruled by slasher gangs that have no law to fear. Ten Towns turns into Rapture pretty quickly.

Any particular "Sanctuary City" could vary as to its adherence to law, but on the whole I'd say that a place like Ten Towns would be Neutral, whereas Rapture would be Chaotic Neutral, and Ankh Morpork would be Lawful Neutral.

San Francisco would be Lawful Good, as would most real-world cities in the world. They're generally run by people who have the positive interests of the majority in mind, with an eye toward law and order, and the class/race/gender/etc. issues of modern politics wouldn't enter into it. The closest thing we have to "sanctuary cities" would either be something like an outlaw town (such as Hole-in-the-Wall in Wyoming, which was run by cowboy outlaws) or a UN refugee camp (which are often dominated by local warlords). If they don't break up themselves due to the lack of law and order, then they end up getting invaded by outsiders who are tired of being raided by pirates/thugs/what-have-you.

this is some next level poo poo

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Rodnik posted:

To a certain degree, certainly. And that's fine. Not murdering a Drow for worshiping their evil spider goddess is one thing, but that doesn't mean you're gonna let demon gangs run through the streets murdering everyone just because that's the culture in the Abyss.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

paragon1 posted:

To a certain degree, certainly. And that's fine. Not murdering a Drow for worshiping their evil spider goddess is one thing, but that doesn't mean you're gonna let demon gangs run through the streets murdering everyone just because that's the culture in the Abyss.

It should probably be noted that since Drow culture is nominally predicated on worshiping a demon queen through evil and violence, that's a mighty fine line that you're drawing there.

I mean this kind of thing obviously has limited real-world application, since D&D-type fantasy openly embraces concepts like inherent racial behavioral traits, and broad stereotypes that would be uniformly rejected if they were applied in the modern-day. Earth doesn't have evil creatures that are born with the intent to destroy all that is good, and our philosophic structures generally reflect that.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Kaal posted:

Earth doesn't have evil creatures that are born with the intent to destroy all that is good

• Locked thread