Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I was born in '83 am I a menial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I was born in '83 am I a menial?

you're borderline... how lazy and entitled are you?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Parallax Scroll posted:

you're borderline... how lazy and entitled are you?

Very!

Give me a Job!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
the less work the better!

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
I know a guy who is 16 and has told me before he won't take a job that pays $10 an hour because he makes more money than that selling peanuts by the package on ebay. I'm sure this is the foundation for a rich and rewarding life

edit: oh wait they locked his ebay account because he won't prove his identity, and he can't do it because he lied about his age WHOOPS better get a job

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

General Tofu posted:

I know a guy who is 16 and has told me before he won't take a job that pays $10 an hour because he makes more money than that selling peanuts by the package on ebay. I'm sure this is the foundation for a rich and rewarding life

shut up you human being millennial

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

"that mr peanut fellow looks real dapper with that monocle and tophat i bet he's doing pretty good for himself so why not me too?"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

General Tofu posted:

edit: oh wait they locked his ebay account because he won't prove his identity, and he can't do it because he lied about his age WHOOPS better get a job

he must have good peanuts. Got a link?

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
of course, he fails to take into account that he can only make a profit on ebay because he lives with his mom. I don't think peanuts (literally!) are gonna pay for an apartment, utilities, car/insurance, but hey what do I know

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

General Tofu posted:

besides the fact that he got banned he sounds like he's got a pretty good hustle, probably gonna be richer than you someday

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

he must have good peanuts. Got a link?

I don't think he can sell anymore (for the reason I mentioned)- but they're some kind of peanuts you can buy in UK pubs and I guess they're sought after or he's somehow convinced himself of that. They just looked like regular roasted peanuts in really tiny packets to me. I think they did have some unusual flavors besides honey, but still

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

Fonzarelli posted:

besides the fact that he got banned he sounds like he's got a pretty good hustle, probably gonna be richer than you someday

I dunno, his room is full of giant boxes of peanuts and ninja turtle candy pizzas made in indonesia, and the place is badly infested with bugs and mold
Buying in bulk/reselling individually might be a good enough racket (even if the price margins are thin) but I couldn't stand living in a hoard personally.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

General Tofu posted:

I don't think he can sell anymore (for the reason I mentioned)- but they're some kind of peanuts you can buy in UK pubs and I guess they're sought after or he's somehow convinced himself of that. They just looked like regular roasted peanuts in really tiny packets to me. I think they did have some unusual flavors besides honey, but still

you and your "friend" are terrible

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
As a non-fucktarded millennial I love having to compete with your miserable asses in the workplace for things like promotions and bonuses, I don't think I've dropped under top 20% at my workplace since like 2005

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

you and your "friend" are terrible

Speaking as someone who was willing to suck it up and work a poo poo job at a movie theater (concessions) for $5.75 an hour when I was his age, I think he's kind of being a poo poo by saying $10 is too little for him. That's friggin' bank, compared.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Everytime I hear the word Millenial I check to make sure my powder is dry. Gonna turn up my Fox News.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Bastard Tetris posted:

As a non-fucktarded millennial I love having to compete with your miserable asses in the workplace for things like promotions and bonuses, I don't think I've dropped under top 20% at my workplace since like 2005

:bravo: here's a cookie!

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Poetic Justice posted:

:bravo: here's a cookie!

I'll stick with the money, thanks

Clemocracy
Jul 21, 2015

by Ralp

Bastard Tetris posted:

yea this they keep bringing in these useless new grads to he hospital lab and a third flame out within a month because they have to do their job and the rest are lazy as gently caress. Its awesome for me because I'm indispensable now getting the max raise every year. I'm on the internet half the night too but by comparison I am amazing so I get a few hours a night to do grad school work.

Its probably even better in the corporate world.

Clemocracy fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 26, 2015

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Bastard Tetris posted:

I'll stick with the money, thanks

but it's a gluten free cookie!

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
I don't look down on anyone for the job that they work- the only thing that should be disrespected is having too much pride to work for wages you think are below you, and instead sitting on your rear end scamming the government. Sorry, but pretty much everyone has to start with a lovely job to get something better. That's just how it works.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Clemocracy posted:

yea this they keep bringing in these useless new grads to he hospital lab and a third flame out within a month because they have to do their job and the rest are lazy as gently caress. Its awesome for me because I'm indispensable now getting the max raise every year.

being indispensable is never attractive to a company that knows wtf they are doing, be careful, friend.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Poetic Justice posted:

but it's a gluten free cookie!

so it's 3x as expensive and tastes like poo poo

Clemocracy
Jul 21, 2015

by Ralp

Poetic Justice posted:

being indispensable is never attractive to a company that knows wtf they are doing, be careful, friend.

indispensible is probably the wrong word and a bit of an exaggeration thats more of a corporate pitfall more like "knows what they are doing and will actually do it". Its a low bar

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

Bastard Tetris posted:

so it's 3x as expensive and tastes like poo poo

:hfive:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

General Tofu posted:

Speaking as someone who was willing to suck it up and work a poo poo job at a movie theater (concessions) for $5.75 an hour when I was his age, I think he's kind of being a poo poo by saying $10 is too little for him. That's friggin' bank, compared.

Ha ha! gently caress you! I work my share of poo poo min wage jobs. I got paid $5.65 in my first job because I asked for it.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Clemocracy posted:

yea this they keep bringing in these useless new grads to he hospital lab and a third flame out within a month because they have to do their job and the rest are lazy as gently caress. Its awesome for me because I'm indispensable now getting the max raise every year. I'm on the internet half the night too but by comparison I am amazing so I get a few hours a night to o grad school work.

Eh not really, it's pretty easy to see who shows up to work on 4.5 hours of sleep in a corporate environment so you may wanna get that locked down once you enter that space, especially if you're dropping into a more senior position that requires a grad degree.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

General Tofu posted:

Sorry, but pretty much everyone has to start with a lovely job to get something better. That's just how it works.

what if you live in a country with no upward mobility or employee protections and every business owner just starts everyone at minimum wage and ushers you out as soon as you should be getting a raise because this is legal in the united states

what about a lovely job where you're actually spending more money to get to work than you actually make there when you aren't given a full eight hour shift

when do the unpaid internships end and actual careers begin?

Clemocracy
Jul 21, 2015

by Ralp
I hope to never leave the lab world just getting my masters in a related field that'll get me day shift but with more money. Maybe management one day it takes 5 years to get into management and you need a special license after that so thats a ways away. Corporate stuff you have to be more on the ball I meant 'better' as in theres more millenials there compared to a lab type job that takes a significant amount of effort to get into.

Clemocracy
Jul 21, 2015

by Ralp

The White Dragon posted:

what if you live in a country with no upward mobility or employee protections and every business owner just starts everyone at minimum wage and ushers you out as soon as you should be getting a raise because this is legal in the united states

what about a lovely job where you're actually spending more money to get to work than you actually make there when you aren't given a full eight hour shift

what on earth are you talking about lol tell me where the shift supervisor touched you

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
I remember menial jobs in the 1980s and early 90s, way easier to get and way easier to lose, sometime around 2000 you actually had to start meeting quotas and targets and poo poo, now if you're unskilled or have the wrong college degree you are kinda hosed. Any 18 year olds out there unless you are going into banking you should probably just go to trade school at least to start with because if you pick the wrong tech degree you are fu k cked. Enjoy that call center job with 4 competing metrics to meet assuming dealing with the dregs of humanity 7.9 hrs a day (no benefits) doesnt make you quit first

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

The White Dragon posted:

Hm, never did the internship thing. In my case, the more experience I had, the better pay I was offered at the next job, so it got steadily higher. With some exceptions of course, like when I had to work at Walmart, where apparently everyone gets paid like poo poo. Some work's better than no work, though.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

A Stupid Baby posted:

I remember menial jobs in the 1980s and early 90s, way easier to get and way easier to lose, sometime around 2000 you actually had to start meeting quotas and targets and poo poo, now if you're unskilled or have the wrong college degree you are kinda hosed. Any 18 year olds out there unless you are going into banking you should probably just go to trade school at least to start with because if you pick the wrong tech degree you are fu k cked. Enjoy that call center job with 4 competing metrics to meet assuming dealing with the dregs of humanity 7.9 hrs a day (no benefits) doesnt make you quit first

thought we were talking about stupid summer jobs, not careers

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

A Stupid Baby posted:

Enjoy that call center job with 4 competing metrics to meet assuming dealing with the dregs of humanity 7.9 hrs a day (no benefits) doesnt make you quit first

I bet this is rare, but I actually didn't mind/sometimes enjoyed talking to the customers on the phone (tech support) versus dealing with my supervisors, who were world-class cunts. Talk about aggressively boring jobs, though.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Clemocracy posted:

I hope to never leave the lab world just getting my masters in a related field that'll get me day shift but with more money. Maybe management one day it takes 5 years to get into management and you need a special license after that so thats a ways away. Corporate stuff you have to be more on the ball I meant 'better' as in theres more millenials there compared to a lab type job that takes a significant amount of effort to get into.

Corporate R&D lab management world owns pretty hard, but yeah I have 10 years of experience so there's that

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

I was commuting an hour and a half through rush hour traffic in what should be a 20 minute drive to work a 4 to 5 hour shift and sometimes only get 16 hours a week because my corporate overlords didn't renew a contract with an insurance company that handles a part of our state's Medicaid since it didn't pay enough. Our store lost between 30 to 40% of its customers because I worked in a very low income neighborhood

America

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

General Tofu posted:

I bet this is rare, but I actually didn't mind/sometimes enjoyed talking to the customers on the phone (tech support) versus dealing with my supervisors, who were world-class cunts. Talk about aggressively boring jobs, though.

you just started this year, didn't you?
You will hate them, the callers, and your supervisors within the year

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

General Tofu posted:

When was the last time you worked a call center? They're much different than they used to be. Unless you're aggressively selling poo poo (as long as you sell poo poo you are employable these days) it's pretty awful. I worked a cellphone 411 center for a few months like a decade a go, absolute worst job I ever had. Probably had something to do with the fact that people were literally spending ten dollars (in NY) on their lovely 2005 cellphone reception to ask you the number to the Pizza Hut in (garbled)field, NY. WHATS THAT YOU STUPID human being IM NOT GONNA TELL YOU HOW TO SPELL (GARBLED)

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
i honestly kinda miss bartending, those were the days. it was also REALLY good money at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

taint reaped aGAIN!

• Locked thread