Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
The real answer is that they filmed some scenes with the younger version of space billionaire but they all got chopped.

George miller should direct the next alien movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopraxia
May 22, 2015

gary oldmans diary posted:

"its what i choose to believe":
how to be wrong about some truther poo poo having to do with a scientific field you know nothing about and say it in a way that sounds like a belief people have to respect instead of just telling you youre a loving idiot

i wanna know more about black women looking like men

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Ok I finally watched the movie (on a plane), and here's where it lost me:

The babyface giant gets out of the crashed ships and makes out with the octopussy. But when the Nostromo arrives in Alien, he's found in his lounge chair, where he was when he crashed. What is up with that?

Oh, and they don't see any traces of the first expedition, but let's forget that. How does babyface tellyport after death? you hack movie writer you

E: it bothered me so much that I kind of wished there was a GBS thread for me to consult. Thanks OP for making one! You are a true lady/gentleman.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 26, 2015

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The answer to any question you may have about this film is Damon Lindelof.

Why did they present ancient aliens like it was a clever original plot? Lindelof.

Why did they weigh their simple plot down with vagueness and a million underdeveloped ideas that seem like redherrings but probably aren't intentional? Lindelof.

Why do characters we've literally only seen once before get to have a poignant heroic death scene? Lindelof.

Why was their enough good bits scattered in the mess that a section of people will rabidly defend it? Still maybe a Lindelof thing, possibly Ridley Scott.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Actually it was less complicated than I though after reading all the online complaints about the super-complicated plot. People are dumber than I thought.

But still, the teleporting baby was complete unnecessary, he could just have stayed in the ship and the octopus crawled there, no probs. Now it is just a plot hole.

And that german actor was great as always, and Rapace's accent changing every scene was comedy gold.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I thought the movie wasn't really that bad. Considering all the nerd rage that it got, I was expecting way worse. v :) v

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I liked the bladerunner reference.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

lilljonas posted:

The babyface giant gets out of the crashed ships and makes out with the octopussy. But when the Nostromo arrives in Alien, he's found in his lounge chair, where he was when he crashed. What is up with that?

Oh, and they don't see any traces of the first expedition, but let's forget that. How does babyface tellyport after death? you hack movie writer you
It's a completely different ship probably.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
also, alternate ending,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5EN6v0utk4

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

It's a completely different ship probably.

But then make the effort to have the ship crash in the same angle as the wreck Nostromo explored? If they had just had the babyface giant get ganked while driving, the two movies would tie in very nicely. To have it be another ship just seem like a dumb waste of the entire movie.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

lilljonas posted:

a dumb waste of the entire movie.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Can anyone here explain to me the ending of Alien: Isolation? Are there multiple endings? Because the ending I got, where Ripley spaces herself, seems completely inconsistent with the rest of the game.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

remember when the scientist took his helmet off in the alien spaceship on an alien planet? "i can breathe in here" he said.

that moment was when the movie became good to great. it became a classic of cinema and a game changer in the sci fi genre. great writing, great directing. fantastic movie. one to be talked about for years

naem
May 29, 2011

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

This was an awesome marketing move.

Also, if Ridley Scott doesn't make Prometheus II after the Martian then loving :vd:

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Michael Fassbender is cool and in both Shame and Hunger you get to see his fassbender and it is sizable.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

toggle posted:

remember when the scientist took his helmet off in the alien spaceship on an alien planet? "i can breathe in here" he said.

that moment was when the movie became good to great. it became a classic of cinema and a game changer in the sci fi genre. great writing, great directing. fantastic movie. one to be talked about for years

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Cripes. I thought it was quality entertainment. Am I supposed to go into the mythos behind every movie I watch?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
this movie sucked but

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

yes, in 8 years we will have fission AND fusion technology, not to mention robot cyborgs

wtf its not like this movie was made 70 years ago and 2023 seemed so far in the future so as to be unimaginable what the heck is going on here

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
lol If you let red letter media decide for you which movies are good.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

lilljonas posted:

E: it bothered me so much that I kind of wished there was a GBS thread for me to consult. Thanks OP for making one! You are a true lady/gentleman.

All the inconsistencies between this and Alien are because Prometheus isn't a direct prequel to Alien. It's basically a prequel to an alternate universe Alien. where things are similar but slightly different.

For what reason, I don't know. Probably some weird licensing poo poo.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

All the inconsistencies between this and Alien are because Prometheus isn't a direct prequel to Alien. It's basically a prequel to an alternate universe Alien. where things are similar but slightly different.

For what reason, I don't know. Probably some weird licensing poo poo.

In order to attract otherwise disinterested crowds and media attention with the alien franchise recognition, only to mock them for wanting it to be an Alien movie by flopping out a lovely off-model zenomorph in the last few seconds, like here's that poo poo you ordered.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

echopraxia posted:

i wanna know more about black women looking like men
gbs wanna know more about subtext it dont get

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I woulda kept my fuckin' space helmet on, JUST IN CASE.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

promethetheus made me realize that ridley scott sucks and while blade runner is cool and good it would have been better directed by james cameron

james cameron the best director

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

captain theron got crushed by the giant spaceship when all the needed to do was run to the side a little

lmao you dumb bitch

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Happy Bear Suit posted:

captain theron got crushed by the giant spaceship when all the needed to do was run to the side a little

lmao you dumb bitch
id gently caress all the cast of thesesues tbh bunch of hotties

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

But seriously though how does Damon Lindelof continue to have a career? The man couldn't write a paragraph without an UNEXPLAINABLE MYSTERY (that is contradictory) to save his life.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i have to ride like 100+ km of gravel fire roads l in like 6 hours from now ill get back to your guy with cool pix im out

but for now prometheus is the best movie

but not as good as AVATAR

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

But seriously though how does Damon Lindelof continue to have a career? The man couldn't write a paragraph without an UNEXPLAINABLE MYSTERY (that is contradictory) to save his life.

When World War Z came out it was revealed that he was bought in because they were having trouble sorting out a messy production and needed someone who could arrange things into a sensible plot.

I think it was more like this man has somehow managed to sell a whole lot of disconnected and undeveloped scenes and ideas to people multiple times, he's perfect to salvage our scrapheap production.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

yeah

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Moon Atari posted:

When World War Z came out it was revealed that he was bought in because they were having trouble sorting out a messy production and needed someone who could arrange things into a sensible plot.

I think it was more like this man has somehow managed to sell a whole lot of disconnected and undeveloped scenes and ideas to people multiple times, he's perfect to salvage our scrapheap production.

So was it his idea that all the big action scenes in World War Z be set off by women being too loving loud?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

So was it his idea that all the big action scenes in World War Z be set off by women being too loving loud?

Probably about as much as Israel is defiantly walled off, with inhuman monsters surrounding it at all sides that threaten to destroy it at any second.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Like, seriously, there's four big action things in World War Z. First one, when they're on the road and the zombies show up, whatever, fine. But after that, it's all women being too drat loud.

When they're sneaking around the army base. Brad Pitt's wife calls him and the zombies hear and attack.

Israel gets over run because those Palestiniant ladies are singing too loud and the zombies go over the walls to get at them

In the hospital place. They're sneaking around but then Brad Pitt's new Israeli wife walks into a tray full of medical supplies for some reason and that alerts all the zombies.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The one on the army base is the stupidest. Like, Brad Pitt's job was investigating war crimes as they were taking place in active war zones. You'd think that like, rule number one for his wife when he was in the field would be "Don't call me, I'll call you"

She shoulda known better.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i imagine i am the robot michael fastbender endeslly quoting turning classic movies and im just railing tuff chick noomi hotts constantly

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

Like, seriously, there's four big action things in World War Z. First one, when they're on the road and the zombies show up, whatever, fine. But after that, it's all women being too drat loud.

When they're sneaking around the army base. Brad Pitt's wife calls him and the zombies hear and attack.

Israel gets over run because those Palestiniant ladies are singing too loud and the zombies go over the walls to get at them

In the hospital place. They're sneaking around but then Brad Pitt's new Israeli wife walks into a tray full of medical supplies for some reason and that alerts all the zombies.

This is like how in 28 Weeks Later every bad thing that happens is caused by the two kids and every time an adult tries to save a child they are horribly killed while the kid escapes and is unappreciative of the adult's sacrifice. But in the case of 28 Weeks Later I'm pretty sure it was intentional and a parody of the jurassic park school of putting kids at the centre of an action thriller, I don't know what World War Z was going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

moose face posted:

why didn't they just get an old man to play the old man instead of a younger man to out on old man make-up and pretend to be an old man? The movie was ok and I avoided the discussion thread about it like the plague because that thread was terrible but seriously I don't understand the reason for this. It looks like poo poo

See I thought it was supposed to look like poo poo, or at least give you that uncanny valley uneasy feeling because the guy is maybe 150 years old or something way older than he should be, kept alive indefinitely by science and being super rich.

• Locked thread