Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

moose face posted:

why didn't they just get an old man to play the old man instead of a younger man to out on old man make-up and pretend to be an old man? The movie was ok and I avoided the discussion thread about it like the plague because that thread was terrible but seriously I don't understand the reason for this. It looks like poo poo

Why did map guy get lost?
Why did biology guy hate aliens?
Why did robot evil?
Why did cave guy hate small spaces?
Etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
is Black Bones a CinD poster??

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Zombie Boat posted:

Why did robot evil?
Etc

the map is on the ship, the storm blocks his reception
he doesn't he just didn't expect that aliens would be creepy human-like clones that worship death, he prob expected fungus or microbes or w/e
he wasn't evil, he is an artifical slave using loopholes in his programming to gain a bit of freedom
he likes small spaces and rocks, he doesn't like being lied to by his superiors into entering an ET holocaust-temple

these are all communicated in popular 2012 movie prometheus, using character dialogue and special effects imagery

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 26, 2015

Bacicot
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Nobody ever mentions the fact that when they woke from hypersleep and congregated in the wardroom, they went around introducing themselves to each other. They embarked on a mission as a crew of a trillion-dollar spaceship and didn't bother to have a mixer before they stepped on board? Most of the crew had literally never met one another??

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Moola posted:

is Black Bones a CinD poster??

occasionally - i like motion pictures. but irl I'm a hipster-sjw

Bacicot
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Zombie Boat posted:

Why did robot evil?
Etc

Not to mention that while those guys were trapped in the alien ship, they had good comms with Prometheus but nobody bothered to post a watch to stay in contact with them. So when they got into trouble nobody noticed because the rest of the crew were too busy getting drunk and loving each other.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Bacicot posted:

Nobody ever mentions the fact that when they woke from hypersleep and congregated in the wardroom, they went around introducing themselves to each other. They embarked on a mission as a crew of a trillion-dollar spaceship and didn't bother to have a mixer before they stepped on board? Most of the crew had literally never met one another??

"Weyland corp cares - building better worlds, of tomorrow, today"

edit:

Bacicot posted:

Not to mention that while those guys were trapped in the alien ship, they had good comms with Prometheus but nobody bothered to post a watch to stay in contact with them. So when they got into trouble nobody noticed because the rest of the crew were too busy getting drunk and loving each other.

"Weyland only hires the best in the galaxy!"

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 26, 2015

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Black Bones posted:

occasionally - i like motion pictures. but irl I'm a hipster-sjw

lol

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Black Bones posted:

edit:

And John Hammond spared no expense.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bacicot posted:

It was a 'secret' mission after all, to get Weyland a cure or extend his life. With the hi-tech they have in the future, they were probably smuggled on board to prevent the company and others from knowing what was going on.
First alien contact like this wouldn't be advertised to everyone if there's a profit to be made.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

A cold universe reduces boot-strap millionares and free-thinking scientists to dumb monkeys and kills them.

:qq: "M-my immersion, this isn't realistic" - some nerd

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I still disagree with the old man makeup I still think they should have gone with an old man

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks Mr penis

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

moose face posted:

I still disagree with the old man makeup I still think they should have gone with an old man

They tried but Guy Pierce kidnapped and threatened to kill Tony, so Ridley had to give in to save his brother.

Pierce had already played a woman, guess he needed to complete his actor-bingo card with an old person role.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Black Bones posted:

A cold universe reduces boot-strap millionares and free-thinking scientists to dumb monkeys and kills them.

:qq: "M-my immersion, this isn't realistic" - some nerd

this is actually most people who saw that film

turns out regular duders like characters that do things that make sense in their blockbusters

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Moola posted:

this is actually most people who saw that film

turns out regular duders like characters that do things that make sense in their blockbusters

Most people agree, it busted that block good. What doesn't make sense, Moola?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
did you watch that Red letter video???

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

moose face posted:

The thread was basically everything wrong with cinema discusso and yes nerd got mad

The amount of sad apologism and tryhard posts in that thread (and now this one) makes me believe in the genuine existence of mass hysteria.

Immortan posted:

lol If you let red letter media decide for you which movies are good.

RLM gave it a positive review, dummy.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Moola posted:

did you watch that Red letter video???

I assumed it was satire, saying nerds are as ugly as their opinions are dumb

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
god I loving hate CinD

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I liked Aliens.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Black Bones posted:

edit:

If you are comfortable defending a stupid movie by semi-ironically spewing dumb slogans, hand-waving, second-guessing why lovely makeup looks lovely and strenuously refusing to watch critique videos that have been quoted ten times, then I guess you live in a magical world built for the comfort of retards and you win every argument forever congratulations

you're a winner loving idiot

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.
R-Diddly Scott is good at making Worlds feel "lived in" for the most part, buuuuut if you gotta recut Bladerunner over five times maybe it's just not a good movie in the first place duder :shrug:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Moola posted:

god I loving hate CinD

Why? Movies are good fun

boom boom boom posted:

I liked Aliens.

Me too, it's the 3rd best of the franchise

Tujague posted:

If you are comfortable defending a stupid movie by semi-ironically spewing dumb slogans, hand-waving, second-guessing why lovely makeup looks lovely and strenuously refusing to watch critique videos that have been quoted ten times, then I guess you live in a magical world built for the comfort of retards and you win every argument forever congratulations

you're a winner loving idiot

I accept your weak-rear end baby concession

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
The fold-up zombie thing makeup was way worse than the old man makeup.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Black Bones posted:

I accept your weak-rear end baby concession

No sweat man just keep sucking air past your apnea and being a pitiful, eye-roll-inducing drag on everyone in your entire life

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
i mean what the poo poo

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Tujague from the high school gym locker he was stuffed into posted:

No sweat man just keep sucking air past your apnea and being a pitiful, eye-roll-inducing drag on everyone in your entire life

I will thanks for the lunch money *flexes muscles for all the ladies*

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
gas

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

This thread has got me hankering for some black goo, gonna watch some Prometheus while I slurp down tacos and chowder, brb

Scapulor
Nov 21, 2005

The man with the magic scapulae
Pillbug

moose face posted:

I think they put Weyland in the obviously-Guy-Pearce-in-old-man-face makeup because his character was looking for a way to regain his youth, right? So you see this ridiculous-looking old man early in the movie and think to yourself, "surely he will find what he's looking for by the end of this movie and then he'll just be regular Guy Pearce." But then they subvert your expectations (because they're awesome filmmakers, you see) by having Guy Pearce eat it as still an old man.

"Haha, you thought you were going to see young Guy Pearce, you stupid fucker," the creators of this movie have probably said on multiple occasions.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Scapulor posted:

I think they put Weyland in the obviously-Guy-Pearce-in-old-man-face makeup because his character was looking for a way to regain his youth, right? So you see this ridiculous-looking old man early in the movie and think to yourself, "surely he will find what he's looking for by the end of this movie and then he'll just be regular Guy Pearce." But then they subvert your expectations (because they're awesome filmmakers, you see) by having Guy Pearce eat it as still an old man.

"Haha, you thought you were going to see young Guy Pearce, you stupid fucker," the creators of this movie have probably said on multiple occasions.

Who is guy Pearce

Scapulor
Nov 21, 2005

The man with the magic scapulae
Pillbug

moose face posted:

Who is guy Pearce

Just some Guy in some lovely old-man makeup.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

moose face posted:

Who is guy Pearce

He's honestly pretty forgettable. Don't believe his lies.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Oh hey my insides just got ripped out by a machine, yeah I'm good to walk around.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
The people trashing Prometheus are probably the same people looking forward to Grandma Ripley fighting Aliens in the new Blomkamp Alien movie right

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
You do know its an old guy in bad makeup because they wanted to do a TED Talk fake with him as a young man.

Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQpGwnN3dfc

A latex grandfather for this promo poo poo.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Immortan posted:

The people trashing Prometheus are probably the same people looking forward to Grandma Ripley fighting Aliens in the new Blomkamp Alien movie right

The people that like Prometheus think Lost is riveting story telling lol. News flash Lindelhoff sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

monkey posted:

i mean what the poo poo

They should have kept the original CGI psuedo-alien monster that this guy turns into, not sure why they decided to turn him into a hills have eyes mutant

Prometheus was pretty stupid btw, I don't understand the point in stressing that the characters are all highly educated professionals if they are just going to all act like idiots without any kind of training

• Locked thread