Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Zombie Boat posted:

The people that like Prometheus think Lost is riveting story telling lol. News flash Lindelhoff sucks.

I like Prometheus alright, it gets better upon rewatch, but the first viewing was really mixed for me.

Never liked Lost at all. JJ Abrams either.

Pitdragon posted:

They should have kept the original CGI psuedo-alien monster that this guy turns into, not sure why they decided to turn him into a hills have eyes mutant

Prometheus was pretty stupid btw, I don't understand the point in stressing that the characters are all highly educated professionals if they are just going to all act like idiots without any kind of training

In my experience, highly educated people are often useless for practical tasks. We rent to a PhD couple who collects troll dolls and can't change a washer on the sink faucet.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I said come in! posted:

That movie was terrible but it's pretty funny to me that Ridley Scott is going to make a Blade Runner sequel as a gently caress you to all of the Alien fans who rejected Prometheus. Our punishment for not just accepting that trash is that Blade Runner gets ruined now. This is what happens when you piss off an old as gently caress director.

He's not making it though, Villanueve is.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Former Human posted:

So you know two people who are smart but impractical? Those types probably wouldn't be selected for a secret interstellar mission.

Unless the mission is put together by a superstitious trillionaire?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Former Human posted:

I wonder how he made his trillions. Not by having good judgment, apparently. Maybe he won the space lottery?

Well, usually people make money by having money already.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Black Bones posted:

Well I gotta go to bed and dream about Noomi, g'night GBS see you in the morning *dramatically leaves thread crying*

I had this dream where Noomi put her thin and beautiful arm around mine and called me her favorite working joe, gazing longingly at me as she held me tighter and tighter to the point I thought I would break, that perfect angelic face, those thin lips, her silvery skin glistening in the cave light as she reached into my shirt, i could feel her pulsing all around me, feel the hot liquid warmth of my bone-marrow and plasma seeping out of the compound fracture in my wrist, and finally she put her mouth to my own and filled my throat with every last inch of her tentacle. Afterwards I asked if she wanted to stay the night and she just sighed in that cute way she does and curled up inside my trachea. 9 hours later we're expecting our first trilobite!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

"I was scared so shitless I forgot I was the maps guy, let me think a hissing venom-spitting looks friendly and in need of a pet. Oh and it's alien life."

I think he's the rocks guy, dude, not the maps guy. He bought map-bots at toys-r-us, doesn't mean he has a sense of direction.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, bro, yeah

Immortan posted:

If you like Zizek then you should probably just kill yourself.

Yeah and also if you don't like him kill yourself + your family.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Happy Bear Suit posted:

huh turns out prometheus is good, all I had to do was watch this 30-minute youtube companion video and read 20 pages of fan exposition on the internet for the movie to make sense

you're just an artard, don't worry about it, sometimes people need strategy guides for their moving pictures

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Former Human posted:

Someone with archives should dig up that CD thread. Or not. Good lord, the mountain of turbonerd bullshit surpassed Mt. Everest at record speed.

I don't think it exists anymore.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gatekeeper posted:

No the one with brad dourif

it is cool when you post because it reminds me of Paul's wife Virginia Madsen who is haute

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gatekeeper posted:

i bet it feels good

it's cool that the eyes move because i like when they look up at me when they are fellating me, i feel well cared for and nurtured/loved

So, with your av (the high priestess of interstellar sex) in mind, got any thoughts on Dune '84? It's generally considered a bomb, and being fond of the book I can't say I care for Lynch's version int he slightest, but I agree with Harlan Ellison that it's sort of amazing it exists at all. In terms of translating the narrative structure of the story you'd think it wouldn't be much different than filming something like The Lord of the Rings, but aside from structure the concepts of Dune are a hell of a lot more abstract/strange than most of the stuff in Tolkein.

How the hell do you sell some of that stuff to people.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gatekeeper posted:

i only read the book recently, it was a good story. maybe i wouldn't have liked the movie if i had read the book first. but i think the movie is a lot of fun. very strange things happen and a lot of these things don't really make sense, like they just happen and then something else just happens and you don't know why any of the things are happening. patrick stewart goes into battle with a pug in his arms. why? because david lynch. david lynch is i think autistic and has issues with confidence and being a man, like a strong man, a schwarzenegger or a baio. this colors much of his work and dune is no exception. the actual book is really cool especially for its genre which can be kind of dumb and childish sometimes, but it manages to tell a great and complex story that just happens to be in space instead of a great space story (two very different things). that dune miniseries was also pretty cool i think, it definitely told a more coherent story and was pretty faithful to the book. but it lacked the ridiculous spectacle and unnerving "what the gently caress" style of lynch's dune.

even though its not at all the kind of story lynch would do on his own, the film is unmistakably his. the weird way people talk, the bizarre and often sexual set dressings (like how every set feels like a place where one might gently caress someone they don't know very well) and in particular the weird behavior of the red baron, lynch just takes already strange concepts and tries to express them in the way he feels comfortable expressing things which is always like a bad fever dream where someone keeps stealing your penis and a mother/wife figure is disappointed in you. thats how you end up with so many pugs in this movie. bene gesserits are now bald psychic space nuns. mentats have crazy larry hagman eyebrows. weirding modules are basically how the fremen win and i'm pretty sure lynch kinda made them up too. that one guy has to milk a cat? the red baron is an oozy, lesion-covered creepster who puts heart plugs in tender young boys so he can kill them when he wants to relieve his sexual frustration. so many strange things piled onto a movie that already bombards you with words like kwisatz haderach and sardaukar and bene gesserit and gom jabbar like five minutes into the movie. you're trying to comprehend all sorts of already weird stuff and lynch just makes it even harder with more weird and often scary things.

dune is great because of the complexities of the interactions between the houses, and the cool ruminations on religion and ecology and stuff, and if you like david lynch's way of looking at the world, he definitely does a cool job of showing these concepts in a lynchy way. the miniseries was more restrained and showed these concepts in a very straightforward way, but i think it was kind of boring, not as much fun as reading them and definitely not as wild to behold as lynch's translations of these concepts. on top of that, he made everything look so cool. all the miniature work was really good. the spaceships were very cool. the sandworms were amazing. sometimes i draw pictures of the sandworms with pug faces because theyre so iconic. the navigator thing was very cool and gross to look at. the dream sequences with moons and fetuses and drops of water were really cool. even the poo poo he kind of made up like the big eyebrows and the bald heads and the philadelphia look of the baron's planet, great stuff all of it. the only dumb thing i think was the sardaukar uniforms, they looked like bad star trek things. the end was i guess fitting for the story lynch told but probably shouldn't have happened like that (agent cooper makes it start raining iirc). all in all i love this movie and you're probably not a fun person to smoke pot with if you don't like it too

I've been doing life all wrong!

Anyways, thanks. Nice post. I like Herbert and I like Lynch. I wonder why mixing the two is such a stretch for me. The faux-Prometheus thread was worth it for a post about Dune.

As you said, the miniseries was alright, but it never really felt adventurous, which is also what I felt about the LotR movies. After they had come and gone I found my appreciation for the stories had really diminished, but I couldn't really say why exactly. I'm sure that someone will give Dune another crack, but maybe it's better off as one of those stories people attempt and fail at over and over (Jodorowsky comes to mind). Maybe the failures and alternate interpretations are truer to the weird experience of the original source material than someone actually translating the book verbatim.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 31, 2015

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Really, Prometheus is a film and not a movie. Movie isn't classy enough.

I know the difference, but I'm not telling you.:newlol:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gatekeeper posted:

i don't want to seem argumentative because you are an eloquent person with well expressed feelings and observations on prometheus (you use good words in good ways) and i have enjoyed reading the juices of your brainfruits but i believe mad max: fury rd. to be a superior film. i first watched it about a week ago and i was very impressed. it was like watching rick moranis successfully unshrink his kids, earning the respect of his neighbors and finally appearing desirable to his wife. right off the bat i felt like i'd been kicked in the ferraro rochers and this feeling stayed with me to the end. max's capture and escape attempt were thrilling and were a very organic way of showing the audience the state of this futureworld without forcing it through dumb exposition. this is a terrible future, filled with boys who want to be skeletons sooo bad, and ladies who are fattened up and milked like cats in lynch's dune. immortan joe made my butt clench into a fist, he seemed so gross and scary. not lame-o horror movie scary, but real life scary, like forum poster enfield's irl face. the big crazy vehicles were also kind of scary because you just knew anyone who put them together like a vehicular frankenstein was surely someone who could intimidate you into doing weird disgusting things and you'd do them without question, only with tears and probably a little throwup. charlize theron was scary too, even the hero max seemed like a terrifying sort of bloke who had long ago shat out his sanity like so much white castle. but at no point did i even question any of this terror. they hit me with a lot of poo poo at once but they very successfully immersed me in this terrorfuture so that i only cared about what happened next. explanations could gently caress right off.

the action that started with max's attempt to escape the skeleton niņos never really let up. before i could unrecoil from the shock of joe's digs and his grody underlings and subjects, we were off to fury rd. to catch that wily theron and joe's rape harem. i questioned nothing, not max's role as a bloodbag, not the huge mobile marshall stacks complete with a flame throwing slipknot guitarist, everything was easily swallowed. with prometheus i kept thinking "tell me more about the old wrinkly dobby. tell me more about this cool space ship. for fucks sake spend the next hour telling me everything about the handsome robot, please!!!" but with mad max all i thought was "tell me whatever you want, i trust you completely. thank you for allowing me to watch this magical story." perhaps it was the breakneck speed, but all i had time to do was absorb every awesome scene before i was suckerpunched by the next, instead of thinking about stuff like i did during prometheus. this is not to say that mad max was thoughtless like a bay joint, there was much to consider once the film ended. but while you watched you were entirely captivated. prometheus was gorgeous but not captivating, save the coolest scenes.

it was thrilling to watch these ladies shake off their stockholms and forcibly take back their own selves from a grody monster. even the more quiet scenes, like that stuck in the mud scene, had me gnawing my fingertips like a retarded zombie. and as more cool ladies joined the fight for freedom from joe and his shitbags, and max fought this terrible world to win back custody of his humanity, it was difficult not to feel the rumblings of eye-drips welling up in your sockets. the success of these characters was truly earned, and it felt like a privilege to witness their victory, compared to the blooper reel feeling of prometheus where everyone fails even when they've technically succeeded. when prometheus ended, i felt hungry and tired. when mad max ended, i felt like doing expensive drugs and hitting my boss in the head and breadbasket with something big, heavy, and phallic. this, ultimately, is the difference between these two mighty fuckin films.

you, it is you who is the best poster

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Maldoror posted:

The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts.

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

• Locked thread