Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
A couple days ago, Chrome suddenly started spitting ads in my face. Of course I have AdBlockPlus, and have had it for years. I used that to manually block the more up front stuff, but whatever it is it's still there and it rears its ugly head now and then.

I've tried looking through my list of installed programs to find something that I didn't recognize. I've tried thinking about what recently installed programs could have had adware attacked, but nothing comes to mind (a couple of Steam games, that's it). I've checked my Chrome extensions, but I don't see anything strange there. I've tried running the MalwareBytes Anti-rootkit program, but that keeps crashing. I'm now currently running a full system scan with another rootkit scanner called GMER, as well as MSE which is my main firewall.

Assuming my full system scan comes up short, what else could I possibly try to find this thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
There's a whole sticky about this kind of stuff. My recommendation on a home PC is to always reformat. Windows 10 is shortly being released with a free upgrade for pretty much everyone, so it's a good excuse to kill two birds.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ViggyNash posted:

Assuming my full system scan comes up short, what else could I possibly try to find this thing?

Adware won't be found by a rootkit scanner or something like MSE most of the time.

You could try these two:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Get into safe mode with networking, run rkill, jrt, mbam, adwcleaner. You can run all of these in a row. If you have to restart to remove something, run rkill again when you get back into windows before running any of the other programs.

rkill stops bad running processes, clears proxies, couple of other things. It makes getting rid of active things easier since they are shutdown and you can then yank them out.
JRT removes crap programs and services.
mbam malware scans.
adwcleaner is similar to jrt. I run both since one catches what the other misses.

May also want to run roguekiller since it can find malware/adware/rootkits.

Cactus Jack fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 28, 2015

• Locked thread