Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
http://betanews.com/2015/07/25/twitter-censors-plagiarized-tweets-that-repeat-copyrighted-joke/

quote:

Can a joke be copyrighted? Twitter seems to think so. As spotted by Twitter account Plagiarism is Bad a number of tweets that repeat a particular joke are being hidden from view. The tweets have not been deleted as such, but their text has been replaced with a link to Twitter's Copyright and DMCA policy.

The joke in question? "Saw someone spill their high end juice cleanse all over the sidewalk and now I know god is on my side." Perform a search for the text and, while you will find several tweeted instances of it available at the moment, there are many examples of tweets that have been censored.

As noted by The Verge, the first appearance of the joke seems to from someone called Olga Lexell. Following this, there are number of tweets that have been obfuscated -- more recent tweets of the joke are visible, but it's possible they will disappear soon. The deleted tweets have been replaced with a standard message from Twitter:

Tweet withheld
This Tweet from @xxxxx has been withheld in response to a report from the copyright holder. Learn more

Plagiarism is Bad spotted the issue earlier today, although it appears to have been going on for some time:

How long until every paranoid open mic comedian starts DMCA'ing jokes on Twitter

Also: I don't get the joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014
copywrite this poo poo i'm squeezing out on op's mom. its glorious

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

EugeneJ posted:

You aren't alone.
Unless high end cleanse means anal cleaning, etc, then lol because anal?
Actually, if this doesn't have to do with anal I'll be disappointed.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I think that's a bit silly.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
Olga is not very funny.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
Is the joke about how religious people are poo poo at having compassion?

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Did Olga whine to the DMCA or was this Twitter's doing? If she did I'm going to cyber bully the frigging juice cleanes out of her.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

The death of weird twitter

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

This is a good thing. Stealing material is bad and pathetic when there is a retweet button right there.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Rambling Robot posted:

Olga is not very funny.

Who is olga

OlmanRiver
Mar 30, 2011
So how about that airline food?

*Men in suits run in to the room with DMCA notices*

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Moon Atari posted:

This is a good thing. Stealing material is bad and pathetic when there is a retweet button right there.

Properly cited tweets

Sax
Mar 30, 2008

I'm your coffee, pal! :coffeepal:
betanews dot com, your one stop source for the latest in bitch made politics, arts, entertainment, and more. the perfect site for me and my dead gay forum.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

It is sad though that there are like a million accounts that post nothing but jokes and observations they have stolen from other accounts. Why? What do they get out of this? Twitter doesn't earn you money, and whatever self-esteem you would get from having that many followers would surely be worthless if you know the only reason they like you is for your stolen material.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Statement from Olga:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/25/9039127/twitter-deletes-stolen-joke-dmca-takedown

quote:

I simply explained to Twitter that as a freelance writer I make my living writing jokes (and I use some of my tweets to test out jokes in my other writing). I then explained that as such, the jokes are my intellectual property, and that the users in question did not have my permission to repost them without giving me credit.

"as a freelance writer I make my living writing jokes"

She should probably kill herself, then

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
She's borrowed a joke somewhere and I'm going to find it

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

beta news

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

corpuscollossus posted:

She's borrowed a joke somewhere and I'm going to find it

You must present your evidence using screenshots of the offending tweets connected by red arrows.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
am i the only one that doesn't have a twitter account or give a poo poo about any of this?

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

wow that's a bad joke

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

FormaldehydeSon posted:

wow that's a bad joke

Almost as bad as congress!©

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

EugeneJ posted:

Statement from Olga:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/25/9039127/twitter-deletes-stolen-joke-dmca-takedown

No anal, I'm disappointed.

Ramsus posted:

am i the only one that doesn't have a twitter account or give a poo poo about any of this?

No.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
But Olga Lexell, I thought you relied upon freelance writing and your lovely Twitter jokes to make a living?

http://creativescreenwriting.com/meet-the-reader-olga-lexell/

quote:

Growing up, script reader Olga Lexell was a bit of a nomad, living in a handful of different countries, but there was always one constant in her life: film.

“My mother exposed me to a lot of indie and foreign films when I was a kid,” Lexell recalls. “I used to go to the library when I was younger and check out published scripts, which is how I learned a lot about screenwriting.”

Lexell eventually settled in L.A. where she attended film school at USC, majoring in film history and screenwriting with a minor in business and psychology. It was during school where Lexell first experienced reading scripts when she worked as an intern for a number of big production companies in their respective development departments.

Although Lexell’s ultimate goal was to work as a screenwriter, like many students, she needed a flexible job to pay the bills. Based on her experience as an intern, she eventually landed a paying gig through her university’s job board that had an ad up for a freelance reader position at a major publisher. She was hired to read books on a weekly basis, and soon afterward, thanks to the connections she made while interning, she’s been hired to read scripts for film festivals, production companies and coverage services. Though Lexell has a full-time job in television, she does maintain a flourishing freelance career in script reading.

quote:

What companies do you currently work for?

A major studio, a production company, and a coverage service, mostly. I also just got two offers to work for major festivals and competitions, which is exciting as I enjoyed my first experience with a festival a lot. Reader work is freelance, so a lot of times a company might give you ten scripts to read in a week and then you won’t hear from them for several months, so while I have a lot of employers, I only take on as much work as I know I can handle.

A TWITTER JOKE COULD MAKE AND BREAK ME - I AM BUT A POOR FREELANCE WRITER :(

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Saw someone spill their high end juice cleanse all over the sidewalk and now I know I suck at telling jokes.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I wonder if anybody stole my, "I don't know which side of abortion I'm on. I support murdering babies but I don't like giving women a choice" joke.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Don't steal that loving joke by the way I swear to god.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Knock Knock
Who's There?
Banana
Banana who?
Knock Knock
Who's There?
Orange
Orange who?
Orange you glad I didn't make a banana joke

(THIS POST WAS DCMA'd FOR PLAGIARISM)

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Mega64 posted:

Don't steal that loving joke by the way I swear to god.

I can't remember if I stole it from somebody else so that makes it mine.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

The joke is she gets on the ground and laps up the high end juice cleanse because, hey, free high end juice cleanse. (c)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Good.

Unless they mess with KattWilliamsFerrell, the best Twitter account.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
Everyone who uses twitter should be killed including myself

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

But Olga Lexell, I thought you relied upon freelance writing and your lovely Twitter jokes to make a living?

http://creativescreenwriting.com/meet-the-reader-olga-lexell/

A TWITTER JOKE COULD MAKE AND BREAK ME - I AM BUT A POOR FREELANCE WRITER :(

Are you loving stalking this person now? Because that would be weird.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

Statement from Olga:

Amazing, an unfunny female comedian who's butthurt and uptight about her material being used elsewhere

I love it when my prejudice and stereotypes converge and manifest irl

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pohl posted:

Are you loving stalking this person now?

More like husking

Office Commando
Mar 23, 2005
The Invasion from Within

Pohl posted:

Are you loving stalking this person now? Because that would be weird.

no, dmca-ing people because you workshop materiel in a public place is weird.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Joust posted:

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Olga Lexell sounds like a barbiturate.

Also her nose

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Little boy blue.

Beefheart
May 5, 2003

I feel like this is a retarded byproduct of schools/universities pushing plagiarism as intellectual property theft, and the idea of intellectual property itself, so hard these days. Pretty hosed up imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Beefheart posted:

I feel like this is a retarded byproduct of schools/universities pushing plagiarism as intellectual property theft, and the idea of intellectual property itself, so hard these days. Pretty hosed up imo

How long until every website has a bot like TurnItIn crawling text and telling you exactly what phrase/passage was plagiarized and from who

• Locked thread