Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Fourteen years ago, Devil May Cry made its debut and brought extreme stylish action to the masses. The series has strayed greatly from its roots over the years, but the experience and atmosphere provided by the original are unique in the genre it created and have made it my favorite game of all time. Now that the game has been given an HD upgrade, I've got an excuse to nerd out about it for the internet! In hopes of making the most of it, I'm bringing my friend Ruebinok along to show off differences between the HD and original versions, face the AccountingNightmare Challenge (hardest difficulty, fresh character), give Dante's partially bespectacled father his due respect, and generally celebrate the entire Devil May Cry series!

Thread rules and recommendations:
1. Have some Devil May Cry experiences of your own before watching this Let's Play. We're gonna be flinging spoilers like they're nothing (and for the most part, they are, but still), chatting over cutscenes, and exploring the stuff you may not know about DMC, so you'll probably appreciate it more if you're familiar with the big picture before we draw a mustache on it.
2. Watch the videos in HD and at 60 FPS. It's incredible the difference it makes over the original release and it's the main reason I have an excuse to do this LP, so take advantage!
3. Updates will most likely be sporadic and, quite frankly, sloppy. Ruebinok's busy, I'm lazy, and as much as I want to be thorough, I'm more interested in having fun with my friend and my favorite game, so don't expect the world from me.
4. Open spoilers! Say whatever the hell you want about Devil May Cry, spoiler tags be damned.
5. No fighting. A lot of people have strong opinions about every Devil May Cry game, and I'd be happy to see all that passion for the franchise, but let's not get heated when these opinions don't mesh. Lovers of the controversial remake are welcome (but wrong), and my own thoughts on the later games are somewhat out of the ordinary, which I expect to discuss in a civil and understanding manner. Hell, Ruebinok even likes DMC 2.

And again, if you haven't played the games and don't want to master them yourself, AccountingNightmare's LPs of the entire series remain must-see material, so get to work guys:
Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 2
Devil May Cry 3
Devil May Cry 4

Let's Rock!

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Part 1 - Luce Change (Missions 1 & 2)

I'm practically on time to celebrate the anniversary! I already know I missed some stuff to nerd out about, but we've got a lot more game to come so expect to see and hear about it whenever I get around to doing more.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I've played the first DMC half to death over the years and was curious about what changes the HD release had. I'm looking forward to following this thread. It seems a little slow though, I usually quite enjoy your LPs so I hope it picks up.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I played DMC a lot when I first got it, which was around the time it first came out I think. I spent more time trying to beat Phantom in the church than I did doing any of the rest of the content in the game.

And drat, I am getting the RE mansion vibes from the entrance now it's mentioned.

Cynda
Nov 6, 2014
Looking forward to more of this, I currently own 1 - 3 on the PS2 but haven't bothered my rear end to start them, the HD Collection looks like a definite possible buy though, thanks for doing this and good luck with the difficulty!

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I started this once a while ago -- 2008ish? -- but there was a boss that I got stuck on and you'll probably make it look absurdly easy when you get there, which I am looking forward to.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I have the official guide that was released for this way back in the day, and strangely, it calls the enemy Devil Trigger a 'Red Lightning Effect (or RLE)' in the DMD section. Kinda cool/impressive that it has a DMD section to begin with, but that always puzzled me.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I didn't really buy into Dante in the first game, but I stuck it out for DMC3 which made him pretty much my favorite action hero ever.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
This would be my most-played game on the PS2 if not for DMC3.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I think I remember for accounting's thread that part of the reason that the original RE 4 became this is that they had a glitch that caused the zombies to float up when being shot.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

A full month later, and once again we just missed the anniversary (which was actually the 23rd of this month, not last month as I'd previously claimed).

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

If this video doesn't get you to Google "spider" and "cute", then I have truly failed.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Shamefully stealing this post from the Bloodborne LP thread:

Sojenus posted:

Trigger Warning: EXTREMELY hosed up upcoming boss spoilers, do NOT open if you think you can't handle that:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I remember playing this back in 2005 when I dislocated my kneecap and was laid up at home. Good times.

Also I didn't know half of these fatalities existing. I'm learning!

thetrueoskar
Jan 22, 2011
I've had all three games for about 10 years, since an old girlfriend of mine raved about how awesome they were (to the point of asking me to dress up as Dante while... yeah), but I've only played DMC3 Special Edition.

I have no idea how, since I think I suck at it, but I SS ranked something like 19 out of the 22 missions on my first (only) playthrough. Screw Agni and Rudra, I think they were?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

thetrueoskar posted:

Screw Agni and Rudra, I think they were?

Yeah, Agni & Rudra were my nightmare for many days when I played DMC3. I only had the original release, not the Special Edition, so the continue system was identical to how it is in DMC1 (you can retry a room until you run out of yellow orbs, then you have to reload your save), which meant if A&R killed me more than twice, I had to replay the entire very long mission that led up to the fight. Normal mode on the original release was roughly equivalent to the next difficulty up on all future releases, and on top of all that, I never realized Agni was weak to the Cerberus weapon's ice attacks because I hated that weapon and elemental weaknesses aren't a thing in DMC1 so it seemed illogical, which made for the single most frustrating road block I've ever experienced in a video game.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Agni and Rudra gave me a day or so of hammering before I got past them, but in all honesty Phantom had so utterly and continually ruined my poo poo in Devil May Cry that I developed a ridiculous amount of patience in trying to overcome stuff video games would throw at me. So I found A&R to be pretty enjoyable even whenever I got slapped to oblivion.

That giant rear end in a top hat spider scorpion demon fucker put young me through a lot of horseshit, but he taught me how to get over big loving hurdles with patience and learning. He also died in a really satisfying manner, thank god.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

You know it suddenly occurs to me that the fact that Trish looks like Dante's mom is never brought again past the first game. So it makes me wonder what Dante thinks of Trish's outfit in DMC4, i mean it's the same one that she wears in this but with the increased power of the 360 and now Xbone Trish has a lot more uh "detail" to her. It's the same thing with Lady to be fair but at least Dante can't confuse her with a family member.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Spiders will never be cute~ But always the fun and enjoyable LP as usual Fiendly.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
This is a really good LP, but I would prefer seeing your better runs than your first ones. Enjoying the hell out of it though, this is a great game and there has never really been one quite like it.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Zain posted:

Spiders will never be cute~

Not even a spider with big flirty eyelashes, their head cocked to the side like a curious puppy, wearing a water droplet as a hat?

And if you dislike spiders so much, you should like jumping spiders because among the things they hunt is other spiders! In fact, they can learn how to tap a pattern on the edge of a web that will make the spider that spun it think it has caught something, giving the jumping spider a chance to catch them when they go to investigate, then they'll remember the most effective patterns to lure out different types of spiders for future reference.

Oh hey, I just noticed a typo in the thread title. It's supposed to say: "Let's Play Devil May Cry 1 HD (Open Spiders)"

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

If I wanted to see perfect runs, I'd watch AccountingNightmare. I like getting to see screwups and multiple attempts.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Submitted without comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-_abWX65a8

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYIUFEQeh3g This got me over my arachnophobia.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

What if it was a spider... with the head of a squirrel?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Honestly, despite the existence of AccountingNightmare, this run is alright. I appreciate seeing how the game accounts for and organically allows for various failure states.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
So uh, this is proper dead I assume?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Pizdec posted:

So uh, this is proper dead I assume?

I've had the next two episode recorded for nearly six months now, but I can't seem to get Ruebinok on the line for commentary, so it is, most likely, done for. I'll be closing the thread and I'll re-open it in the off chance I'm able to continue it at some point.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Hey, don't flock off just yet! To my own surprise, we're actually back!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Welcome back, man! Was hoping to see more of your playthrough

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Cool to see that this is back!

I was wondering why Grenades are the best option against Gryphon (Griffin?) even though he spends quite a lot of time on the floor. Is the explanation I think I heard correct that just nothing else does as much damage to him, even though the grenade DPS is still obviously abysmal?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Wow, I had no idea some of my favorite LPeople were watching this shitshow!

The thing about Griffon (had to look up the spelling myself, and I thought I knew everything about this game) is that he's very mobile, much more so than any other boss, and can quickly move out of range of most Devil Arm attacks. On top of that, only his head and chest are vulnerable to damage, so even when he's on the ground, none of Dante's melee attacks can actually hit him. It's possible to knock him down if you hit him hard enough and that'll leave him open to all your attacks, but the amount of damage you have to do in quick succession seems to have been ratcheted up to near-unattainable numbers on DMD difficulty and I've only seen him get knocked down two or three times in my many attempts at this fight. Ifrit's meteor upgrade is really the only viable alternative to grenades here, I've just never been able to make good use of them myself so I can't confirm that they actually out-damage grenades over the duration of the fight. For comparison, I just timed my fight against Accounting Nightmare's and mine came up about 40 seconds faster.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Ah, so I guess the problem lies in DMD mode - they planned for you to be able to knock him down even with a fresh Ifrit or Alastor, but on DMD he just never takes enough damage that that can happen? Unless, of course, you're not starting fresh...I forgot the beginning tbh, that was a thing in DMC1, too, right?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Griffon 1 is always an overlong boss fight, but it's especially imbalanced on DMD. My fresh character gimmick on this run may be exacerbating the issue, but Accounting Nightmare took the time to go buy Inferno before the fight, and even though it's the most damaging attack in the entire game and she uses it to knock Grif down a few times, she still took a little longer than me. The only winning move in this boss fight is not to play it since it's so easy to skip anyway (I'm still really proud that I was able to make good on Dante's stupid threat, though).

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Man to think people got soooooo pissed about Nero when DMC4 first came out.

How little we knew of what was to come.

Edit:About Griffon, even if you don't have Ifrit's moves to do the maximum amount of damage doesn't just having the fire effect of Ifrit's DT on the grenade launcher do a lot of damage to him? Last time i played the game was when the HD collection came out so i'm a little rusty myself.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 13, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Man to think people got soooooo pissed about Nero when DMC4 first came out.

How little we knew of what was to come.

Edit:About Griffon, even if you don't have Ifrit's moves to do the maximum amount of damage doesn't just having the fire effect of Ifrit's DT on the grenade launcher do a lot of damage to him? Last time i played the game was when the HD collection came out so i'm a little rusty myself.

To be fair the game takes as much of a piss on him as it does on Dante.

Speaking of DMC4, it's the most polished and deep DMC in terms of character gameplay, especially with DMC4SE, but the level and boss design, while not dire, is fully mediocre.
I mean theres nothing as bad as Griffon here, but theres nothing as good as half the DMC3 bosses.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 13, 2016

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Rigged Death Trap posted:

To be fair the game takes as much of a piss on him as it does on Dante.

Speaking of DMC4, it's the most polished and deep DMC in terms of character gameplay, especially with DMC4SE, but the level and boss design, while not dire, is fully mediocre.
I mean theres nothing as bad as Griffon here, but theres nothing as good as half the DMC3 bosses.

I dunno, I'd rate the Bael fight as Nero as one of my favourite DMC bosses. Frozen Frog is one of the best boss themes in the game as well, which helps.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well and Angelo Credo. Who I didn't mention for reasons unknown to me.
then again he's a vergil fight so hes a given.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

About Griffon, even if you don't have Ifrit's moves to do the maximum amount of damage doesn't just having the fire effect of Ifrit's DT on the grenade launcher do a lot of damage to him?

I do not believe Griffon is in any way resistant to lightning DT'd grenades nor vulnerable to fire DT'd grenades, but I could very well be wrong. The main issue there is that using Ifrit would deprive me of Air Hike for the purposes of dodging, which has always proven to be a death sentence for me in this fight.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Honestly, even as a bit of a DMC4 detractor, I like all the bosses in that game. They've all got huge glaring problems, like the ice frogs' long periods of invulnerability and Belial just being pretty easy because he's so slow, but even still, I think they all offer good, varied experiences and serve as highlights in the otherwise desperately dull missions. This, of course, is slightly less applicable to that bug guy, and completely out the window for The Savior and the final boss, which are absolutely some of the worst bosses in the series outside of the non-canon games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Dante goes off the deep end here and decides swimming and pirates are worth his time. Luckily, this leads to the acquisition of the second most important key item in the game.

• Locked thread