Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Seaniqua posted:

all smartphones are literal handheld miracle factories who loving cares what brand it is
this

also op, sounds like you got a cheap iphone so who caaaaaaaares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

ashgromnies posted:

ahahahahaha idiots who root their phones are the best

My friend's Galaxy S4's battery life literally doubled after I finally convinced him to root it.

He had to forcibly remove some Samsung process that was constantly draining it .

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Melmac posted:

My friend's Galaxy S4's battery life literally doubled after I finally convinced him to root it.

He had to forcibly remove some Samsung process that was constantly draining it .

Antivirus.exe

Weener Beater
May 4, 2010

Ahundredbux posted:

this

also op, sounds like you got a cheap iphone so who caaaaaaaares

Its great when your company paymasters pay for it.......

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I have a 5S and will get a 6S when it comes out. I love me an iphone but not enough to get every stinkin' one.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Melmac posted:

you know what phone manufacturer doesn't require you to do that because they don't let shitware vendors put whatever they want on it for $10 and a night out?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Jesus christ there are a lot of people in this thread who don't know how to calculate profit margin.

margin = (sale price - cost) / sale price

markup = (sale price - cost) / cost

hope this helps

Excellent post avatar combo

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

ashgromnies posted:

you know what phone manufacturer doesn't require you to do that because they don't let shitware vendors put whatever they want on it for $10 and a night out?

can you take your battery out?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

ashgromnies posted:

if the alternative is the walled garden i'll take it

Clemocracy
Jul 21, 2015

by Ralp
lol i love when they let idiots write articles. "Did you know the cost of a few kernals of corn is only 3 cents!!! Thats a 5000% markup!"

SD-455
May 15, 2009

by Lowtax
Yeah you never have to update ANYTHING on an android device do you fag

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Buy phones straight from google, cut out the contract poo poo and stop being poor. No more issues.

I fully expect my unlocked (not rooted) nexus 6 to be patched in days to deal with this exploit. My phone number is 555-555-5555

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Stop paying your cell phone carriers extra to give you a poo poo overlay. What I mean is, poor people are ruining android!

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
I am currently using an iPhone 3S, lol. It's a good conversation piece but I really should upgrade. At the same time, I don't give a poo poo. And then at the same time again, I would give enough of a poo poo if I fully settled on upgrading that I would probably spend a few hours going through reviews and deals and that sounds super loving boring.

Clemocracy
Jul 21, 2015

by Ralp
i like my iphone. its a phone and it does a lot of other non phone things too. its pretty smart for a phone

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Whatev posted:

I am currently using an iPhone 3S, lol. It's a good conversation piece but I really should upgrade. At the same time, I don't give a poo poo. And then at the same time again, I would give enough of a poo poo if I fully settled on upgrading that I would probably spend a few hours going through reviews and deals and that sounds super loving boring.

upgrading phones every year or 2 is a waste of money.

Most people use their phone for texting, calls and browsing so the latest phone is not vastly better.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Apple is for women and children op

Casio_knight
Jul 26, 2015

you guys are supid arguing about costs how could it cost money to make something that didn't exist before???

apple didn't have to pay ANY r&d because who are they going to pay it to?? NOONE OWNED THE IPHONE BEFORE APPLE ITS ORIGINAL

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

etalian posted:

upgrading phones every year or 2 is a waste of money.

Most people use their phone for texting, calls and browsing so the latest phone is not vastly better.

Lithium-ion batteries start to suck donkey dick after about two years though, I would keep my 4S forever if I didn't have to charge it during the day

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
wtf are you charging it with your pc (macbook obviously) for, use the wall

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
gently caress you I have a 6 year old pc laptop with a new ssd (which works fine since I don't need gaming specs since I'm not a literal child)

0dB
Jan 3, 2009
Really want a flip phone. For real. That would be cool.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Waroduce posted:

Apple is for women and children op

I don't want a product that has a apple that someone else took a bite out of depicted on it, nor a founder that ironically died from pancreatic cancer from an exclusive fruit diet. Some hosed up poo poo.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

0dB posted:

Really want a flip phone. For real. That would be cool.

sell you my old KRZR for 200 dollars, paypal

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
I paid 200 for my iPhone o course it has a contract are you seriously planning to change carriers I two years considering that att and Verizon are exactly the loving same

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

LegoPirateNinja posted:

I paid 200 for my iPhone o course it has a contract are you seriously planning to change carriers I two years considering that att and Verizon are exactly the loving same

I can use any carrier I want, it's illegal to bind a contract to a phone in pretty much every other country in the world outside of the US

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Jesus Christ posted:

I can use any carrier I want, it's illegal to bind a contract to a phone in pretty much every other country in the world outside of the US

no it's not

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
unless you mean an unbreakable contract, in which case yes, you're probably right

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Jesus Christ posted:

In the US most phones are sold at a loss upfront (but they make back about 150% over the two year contract)

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I recently got a note. P cool, especially the security bug that allows your phone to be hijacked by a text message.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Casio_knight posted:

you guys are supid arguing about costs how could it cost money to make something that didn't exist before???

apple didn't have to pay ANY r&d because who are they going to pay it to?? NOONE OWNED THE IPHONE BEFORE APPLE ITS ORIGINAL

lol at people that say "R&D" contributes to the price at all. how does that logic work, like Apple riases their price and makes more money to cover the R&D cost? if raising the price makes more money why wouldn't apple do that anyway, reguardless of whatever expenses they incurred in the past?

prices have nothing to do with expenses people! the price of everything is set to whatever will produce the most profit, thats it. if a lower price will bring in more customers then it will be lowered, if the idiots will buy it at any price then it will be raised, thats the only component of price.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Rutibex posted:

lol at people that say "R&D" contributes to the price at all. how does that logic work, like Apple riases their price and makes more money to cover the R&D cost? if raising the price makes more money why wouldn't apple do that anyway, reguardless of whatever expenses they incurred in the past?

prices have nothing to do with expenses people! the price of everything is set to whatever will produce the most profit, thats it. if a lower price will bring in more customers then it will be lowered, if the idiots will buy it at any price then it will be raised, thats the only component of price.

And I bet they spend 2-3 times the r&d cost on marketing. Hell even for expensive poo poo like drugs most pharm cos spend about 1:1 on r&d and marketing

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I recently bought a brand-new no-contract Nokia candy bar phone. I don't know how long the battery lasts because even talking 2-3 hours in a day only runs it down to ~80%. It has a camera, a little flashlight, and conversation mode for texts. It uses predictive text so I only need to press one button per letter. It has a calculator and a couple of little games. It cost 50 bucks, it's very small and light, and it seems pretty tough. It has a microsd slot so I can expand the memory easily. I have unlimited talk and text with a small amount of data and we don't pay very much for that.

I didn't like having a smartphone, so I went back and man it's been great. I read magazines while pooping now.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I'm a 36 year old who works in web development and I should really have a smartphone to help test poo poo at stupid phone resolutions but I'm also a huge goony misanthrope who doesn't want to talk to anyone ever. In the end I find money spent on a phone is much better spent on steam poo poo I don't need. gently caress all phones IMO.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Enzo posted:

I recently bought a brand-new no-contract Nokia candy bar phone. I don't know how long the battery lasts because even talking 2-3 hours in a day only runs it down to ~80%. It has a camera, a little flashlight, and conversation mode for texts. It uses predictive text so I only need to press one button per letter. It has a calculator and a couple of little games. It cost 50 bucks, it's very small and light, and it seems pretty tough. It has a microsd slot so I can expand the memory easily. I have unlimited talk and text with a small amount of data and we don't pay very much for that.

I didn't like having a smartphone, so I went back and man it's been great. I read magazines while pooping now.

Ooh man I bet you don't even OWN atv

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Also the phone does not interpret my cheek as screen input. The screen is not constantly turning itself on and off while I'm trying to navigate a phone tree. It only makes noise when my alarm is going off in the morning, when I get a text message, and when someone calls me. It does have a pretty nice mp3 player app built in that works well. It also has an FM radio, so I can listen to my local NPR station if I want. It has a calendar. It does the same major tasks as my smartphone, but it doesn't constantly entice me to stare at it and smear my fingers all over it all day.

^^^^ an atv? no ^^^^
edit: Oh a tv? yeah I do, what kind of weirdo doesn't have a tv

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 28, 2015

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
iphone is pretty good. You should stop giving iphone such a hard time.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

It's this one for all the people who are kind of tired of smearing their fingers all over a greasy screen all day

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I have an Xperia phone from Sony, it's cool except nobody gives a poo poo about it, not even Sony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

iPhones are for babies and geriatrics.

• Locked thread