Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
it's tough for you guys to understand each other and all of a sudden you realize you're speaking in broken english too like somehow your autistic brain thought it'll be easier for them to understand you? i work with a lot of japanese people and i have to stop myself from talking like them all the time, every day. they think I'm making fun of them. i'm just trying to be helpful. "how many at table?" "six at table. you make five fried rice. little girl want white rice" and they frown at me. i'm just trying to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
also when people use a cool word a lot i end up saying it too, like my buddy calls everything "tremendous" like "man did you see that movie? it was tremendous!" or "this ravioli, tremendous!" and when i'm talking to him i call stuff tremendous too, but only to him, i never say tremendous to anyone else. but if i'm with him, and we're talking about tv shows or types of pizza, i'll go "that new episode/sicilian vodka slice was tremendous" and wonder why i said tremendous instead of good or great or cool.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
wait what?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
thank you nice day

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
My brother would do this all the time, rearrange nouns and verbs. I feel ya op. gently caress considerations, pissed dude, this made me. But I'm better new.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Like when you talk to intellectually inferior women and have to use small words or else theywont understand.

poo poo i mean people! Intellectually inferior people!

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
So what's everyone having for lunch? I might go with pizza myself, maybe Chinese. Haven't decided yet. :shrug:

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Hardawn posted:

My brother would do this all the time, rearrange nouns and verbs. I feel ya op. gently caress considerations, pissed dude, this made me. But I'm better new.

Is he yoder ?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

evertime i enter gbs, op

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's a Guatemalan bakery outside my house and I don't know the names of anything in Spanish, so I just point at the bread and go "I wan dis" in a husky Latino accent.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
huh?

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

There's a Guatemalan bakery outside my house and I don't know the names of anything in Spanish, so I just point at the bread and go "I wan dis" in a husky Latino accent.

I bounce between cheech and tony montana depending on the sitch

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

An indian coworker once said to me "when we are talking about satan". It took me ages to figure out that he meant 'speak of the devil', and now I try to say 'when we are talking about satan' at every possible opportunity.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

liek when you want to talk to a dog so you bark

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moon Atari posted:

An indian coworker once said to me "when we are talking about satan". It took me ages to figure out that he meant 'speak of the devil', and now I try to say 'when we are talking about satan' at every possible opportunity.

How does poo poo like this even happen? It takes more effort to translate the idiom than to just parrot it verbatim.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Moon Atari posted:

That's a pretty bitchin' turn of phrase thank you for your contribution to gbs, nay, the internet

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
trump 2016

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Yes this is some weird brain tribalism thing. I wonder if it only happens to betas though.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Kuato posted:

So what's everyone having for lunch? I might go with pizza myself, maybe Chinese. Haven't decided yet. :shrug:

I want biscuits and gravy but I also want pastor tacos.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i want some fried fucken chicken

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The same coworker titled his vacation photos on facebook "I am a sensual adventurer. Please join me on my journey." So it's possible that rather than being bad at english he's actually really good at it.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Moon Atari posted:

The same coworker titled his vacation photos on facebook "I am a sensual adventurer. Please join me on my journey." So it's possible that rather than being bad at english he's actually really good at it.

Native english speakers are by and large bad at it.Your coworker at least makes it fun.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

i had a friend that would go visit his aunt every summer in pennsylvania and when he came home hed talk like a retard for a while. thats how i learned about accents and stuff.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Moon Atari posted:

holy poo poo that's amazing, gotta start droppin that on the reg

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

notZaar posted:

Yes this is some weird brain tribalism thing. I wonder if it only happens to betas though.

does beta mean helpful and good/nice?

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
me no good english op, where is penis?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Gatekeeper posted:

does beta mean helpful and good/nice?

Yeah, alphas pave their own way and people naturally tailor themselves to them, rather than the reverse.

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED
sometimes i find myself subconsciously making GBS threads out of my mouth

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Pastor tacos it is, along with my good friend Stella Artois.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

i'm prob gonna hit that halal truck for some lamb and chicken over rice with white sauce and a little hot sauce and a can of sprite

i talk to the halal guy weird too because he's egyptian and does not speak english well like me

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

dad gay. so what posted:

i want some fried fucken chicken

when we are talking about satan

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

get some self esteem op

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Gatekeeper posted:

i'm prob gonna hit that halal truck for some lamb and chicken over rice with white sauce and a little hot sauce and a can of sprite

i talk to the halal guy weird too because he's egyptian and does not speak english well like me

Ask him if he'd consider switching over the objectively superior kosher system.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

ask him what he thinks about shooting a giraffe in front of children then feeding it to lions

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
yeah I do it. I always try to pick words I've heard them say because I know they know them. Like my friend says he stands up in the morning, so I ask him what time does he need to stand up, because I know that makes sense to him
also when I use german I use the german word for to stand, which probably is stupid.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gatekeeper posted:

I went to a Latin market by my mom's house and I was quiet because I thought maybe the cashier doesn't speak much English, then she spoke completely fluently and I felt like an idiot.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
how are you nice day

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Anderron Shi posted:

ask him what he thinks about shooting a giraffe in front of children then feeding it to lions

He'd probably think it's awesome and the zoo was right to do that.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
i tend to mimic the accents of others when im talking to them. i dont mean to but suddenly i'm Australian when i'm talking to an Australian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

RaceBannon posted:

i tend to mimic the accents of others when im talking to them. i dont mean to but suddenly i'm Australian when i'm talking to an Australian.

i always say " a dingo ate my baby " when i talk to those loving human trashcans

• Locked thread