Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Season 5 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL8KPsyf6-o
Official Website | Wikipedia | IMDB

Hell on Wheels is an American Western television series about the construction of the First Transcontinental Railroad across the United States. The series follows the Union Pacific Railroad and its surveyors, laborers, prostitutes, mercenaries, and others who lived, worked and died in the mobile encampment called "Hell on Wheels" that followed the railhead west across the Great Plains.

Season one (2011–12) began in 1865 shortly after the assassination of Abraham Lincoln and Season two (2012) covered 1866, Seasons three (2013) and four (2014) opened in 1867. On November 7, 2014, Hell on Wheels was renewed for a fifth and final season consisting of 14 episodes to be aired in 2015 and 2016.

Season 5 Synopsis posted:

After four years on the Union Pacific, former Confederate soldier and railroad man Cullen Bohannon finds himself in California - the land of opportunity, a haven of gold, a place of reinvention. It’s the location of a new Hell on Wheels: The Central Pacific Railroad, which unlike the Union Pacific faces constant threats as it struggles to make its way through the treacherous Rocky Mountains. As Cullen faces his own mountain of challenges – adapting to an unfamiliar environment and the exotic, cultural traditions of his new employees, the race to unite the nation by rail comes to a thrilling head.
Hell on Wheels has been split into two segments for the final season (like Breaking Bad, Mad Men) with seven episodes airing Saturdays 9/8c on AMC with the final seven to air sometime in 2016.

The Cast

Cullen Bohannon - Anson Mount
Cullen Bohannon is a former Confederate soldier who once served as head of the Union Pacific Railroad. Cullen Bohannon hires on with the Central Pacific Railroad in California after Collis Huntington promises to help him find his family. Cullen stirs up old rivalries with his ex-boss, Thomas Durant, and his old nemesis, The Swede, as he leads his Chinese workforce across the Sierra Nevada Mountains in the race against the Union Pacific as both railroads drive toward the pounding of the Golden Spike at Promontory Point, Utah.

Thomas ‘Doc’ Durant - Colm Meaney
Thomas "Doc" Durant is a greedy entrepreneur and railroad mogul who manages the Union Pacific Railroad. Thomas “Doc" Durant (based on the real-life railroad mogul) finds himself without a Chief Engineer after Cullen Bohannon abruptly quits. Upon discovering that Cullen has signed on with the Central Pacific Railroad, Durant takes on an unlikely pair of new partners who help him lay track at an unprecedented rate while he continues to enrich himself through dubious business practices.

The Swede - Christopher Heyerdahl
The Swede is a mysterious Norwegian immigrant who is now supervising the Mormon workforce on the Central Pacific Railroad. After convincing Brigham Young to send him to California to supervise the Mormon workforce on the Central Pacific Railroad, "The Swede" enacts one last deadly scheme to gain the position and power he feels fate owes him, only to find himself challenged once again by the devil in his path, Cullen Bohannon.

Louise Ellison - Jennifer Ferrin
Louise Ellison is a strong-willed reporter dispatched to Hell on Wheels. Louise is working as a freelance journalist in Laramie after her newspaper was destroyed and she was driven out of Cheyenne and blackballed by Governor Campbell. Determined to write the true story of hubris, greed and fraud perpetrated by the titans who are building the Transcontinental Railroad.

Collis P. Huntington - Tim Guinee
One of the “Big Four” railroad titans who built the Central Pacific Railroad, Huntington is Cullen Bohannon’s new boss. Huntington is a self-made man from Connecticut who built his fortune during the California Gold Rush selling shovels to prospectors. His ruthless business acumen, juxtaposed against his convivial nature and fascination with all things Chinese, keeps Cullen and his vast workforce of 15,000 men on their toes.

Chang - Byron Mann
The primary labor contractor for the Central Pacific Railroad, Chang runs a small empire in Truckee, California’s “Chinatown,” providing food, sundries, opium, and whores to the Chinese workers he’s contracted to the railroad. A former rebel who fought in the Taiping Rebellion, Chang is caught between the peasant Chinese workers and the railroad’s white overlords, whose racist attitudes keep him in his place.

While it might not be a Deadwood, it is the best western on TV and is quite entertaining.
:clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
This show was awesome for the first few episodes of season 1. Then it got super lovely very fast. At the end of the last season I watched, Common fought a bear. Was that season 3 or 4? It seemed like they were trying to get a fresh start.

It's a bad show and that's saying something because I'll pretty much watch anything western.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

This show was awesome for the first few episodes of season 1. Then it got super lovely very fast. At the end of the last season I watched, Common fought a bear. Was that season 3 or 4? It seemed like they were trying to get a fresh start.

It's a bad show and that's saying something because I'll pretty much watch anything western.

You have terrible taste. This show has some low points but its been rock solid since season 1.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
This show is still fun and watchable and I enjoy the sets and scenery especially this year in the "sierra nevada" (all seasons filmed around Calgary)

I can't believe the Swede is still alive - but he's really too good to be rid of I suppose so they'll string out his death until the series finale this year.

http://calgaryherald.com/entertainment/local-arts/hell-on-wheels-showrunner-john-wirth-talks-about-season-5

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 27, 2015

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Did this get better after S3? I watched S1 and 2, and it was okay, S3 started great and turned terrible. I fully expected it to get cancelled but then it came back with S4 which I didn't watch. Now I see S5 commercials and didn't this used to air in the spring?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Whatever happened to Common's character

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Pron on VHS posted:

He got eaten by a bear.

Well ok a bunch of other stuff happened after the bear attack, but that was pointlessly convoluted and a huge disservice to the character so I just leave it at the bear.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Bear attack/peyote induced PTSD and schizophrenia consumed Common. RIP

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

pentyne posted:

You have terrible taste. This show has some low points but its been rock solid since season 1.

Are you serious? It's a really bad show. I'll admit I haven't seen S4. So maybe it got magically better, but judging by the above posts it sure doesn't sound like it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Just finished S4 on Netflix. It's not a great show and is basically a low budget network Deadwood, but meh, I'll stick it out for the final season.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I stopped watching around the end of the second season when they killed off Lily Bell (and the Swede is still alive ~2 years later apparently), so if the new seasons aren't a complete trainwreck I'd catch up.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I caught up with the 2 episodes this season, it's still pretty blah.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.

Pron on VHS posted:

He got attacked by a bear and it bit his brain. Healed by local Indians, got a fever and infection, went insane. Returned to town and tried to enslave and sell women, Bohanan put him down in the streets like a rabid dog.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

moleman posted:

He got attacked by a bear and it bit his brain. Healed by local Indians, got a fever and infection, went insane. Returned to town and tried to enslave and sell women, Bohanan put him down in the streets like a rabid dog.

Glad I missed that. My instincts to quit the show were spot on.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
How has such a garbage show been on the air for 5 seasons

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Pron on VHS posted:

How has such a garbage show been on the air for 5 seasons

People gotta watch something while Breaking Bad and Walking Dead are on hiatus.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I really don't think anyone is going to get a happy ending on this show aside from the railroad owners.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
gently caress the haters, this show has a cast way more interesting than Walking Dead and a premise at least as good as Breaking Bad and does a period piece even better than Mad Men.

Also the sets are spectacularly disgusting, and holy poo poo whoever thought that Chief O'Brien was actually a great actor? Because he is. In this show. That is very good.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Check out Colm Meaney in Layer Cake, good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEVA0l3rR48

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 18, 2015

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What does the term 'jake' mean when they refer to the Chinese workers? I don't think I've heard it before and wasn't able to find anything via Google.

DocGator
May 6, 2007

Racist/Lazy census takers at the time would count Chinese immigrants by generic names like John or Jake with the surname "Chinaman". Sort of like how we use "John Doe" to identify unknown bodies today

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Will never understand all the hate this show gets. S3 and 4 never matched up to the first two, but Elam and the preacher's daughter getting killed were both great pairs of episodes, and John Wirth is finally getting his writing chops on with how good this season has been.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Just got to Elam's death. Glad everyone else thought it was complete bullshit too.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
This show came back without me even noticing at first. It's amazing how little AMC advertises it. Never saw a single ad for it during Fear the Walking Dead or Preacher.

I liked they handled the Swede in the first episode, and Bohannon's wife/kid in the second, leaving the rest of the episodes open for railroad stuff. I hope there's more on the Laramie side for the last few episodes, there wasn't enough Colm Meaney in the first half of the season.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
If they hadn't turned "the swede" into Jason Voorhees it might have been better. I more than half expected him to jump back to life and eat someone's face after the hanging.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

So it ended. There really isn't much to say.

Bohannen's breakdown scene was great. Everything else felt like it just sort of fizzled out to its inevitable conclusion. It's a shame the show just sort of tread water for so long, because most of the actors on the show did a drat good job.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Did the main confederate guy find out who killed his family?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Pron on VHS posted:

Did the main confederate guy find out who killed his family?

Yeah, I think he killed the last one in season 2 or something. Or maybe he found him but decided not to kill him. I don't really remember, that story took a backseat after the first season. That first season was rough but the show got better over time at tearing down some of the cliches they had built.

I thought this final season was really good, and the show went out strong. Only thing I'm not wild about is Bohannon heading to China, since that whole relationship felt a little rushed (by necessity). Makes sense as a way of showing that he's finally able to fully move on, I suppose.

I'm also not sure how the Durant power play against Huntington after the railroad was done made sense. How did he have any power at all over whether the government inspected the railroad? Wouldn't they have done it anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
http://reviewsfornoobs.blogspot.ca/2016/07/hell-on-wheels-now-that-its-done.html

Posting my buddy's thoughts on the subject and honestly, I agree with him. :)

• Locked thread