Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How would a battery float to a garbage island and stay dry enough to work in a camera?! MY IMMERSION!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

"How many sons do you have?" Hahahaha

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Suzanne: What happened to your arm?
Forrest: Oh, I got shot with a couple of arrows.
Suzanne: Sure.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I was expecting Suzanne would somehow end up with the handsome Shortstopman but the show manipulating Forrest into getting them to move in together was great.

The best part is that it's completely his fault. He could have catfished someone else than his ex-wife, he could have gone to some charity or whatever for the Make-A-Wish thing. It's like he believes that, because the show made him divorce her, if he just makes enough of the reviews about his family they'll eventually end up back together.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Illinois Smith posted:

I was expecting Suzanne would somehow end up with the handsome Shortstopman but the show manipulating Forrest into getting them to move in together was great.

The best part is that it's completely his fault. He could have catfished someone else than his ex-wife, he could have gone to some charity or whatever for the Make-A-Wish thing. It's like he believes that, because the show made him divorce her, if he just makes enough of the reviews about his family they'll eventually end up back together.
He could have just told her he was catfishing her after she asked to facechat instead of doing the absurd shortstopman thing.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

JT Jag posted:

He could have just told her he was catfishing her after she asked to facechat instead of doing the absurd shortstopman thing.

He could have told her the divorce was entirely because of the review.

I liked how he called for the oars like a lost pet.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

FireWorksWell posted:

He could have told her the divorce was entirely because of the review.
No he couldn't have. It wouldn't have been an authentic review of a life experience if it was tainted by false pretense. He has to maintain kayfabe.

He probably could have told her after giving divorce its rating, but the damage was already done by then.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

JT Jag posted:

No he couldn't have. It wouldn't have been an authentic review of a life experience if it was tainted by false pretense. He has to maintain kayfabe.

He probably could have told her after giving divorce its rating, but the damage was already done by then.

Yeah, I meant he could have told her afterwards but I know this show isn't meant to be a happy or optimistic one. Was it ever shown that she knew about his job as a life reviewer?

I'm really happy he didn't go through with the foster care kid idea, but it's a shame they showed Forrest getting shot in the shoulder before this episode.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I wonder how well rated this show is in the show. How does Suzanne not know that any of the stuff that happened in the show was for the show?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

dik-dik posted:

I wonder how well rated this show is in the show. How does Suzanne not know that any of the stuff that happened in the show was for the show?

I try not to think about the logistics of the show because it doesn't make any sense.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I don't think that knowing that Forrest divorced her for a review would make her feel any better about the situation. And if you think that they film a whole season before airing, it makes sense how she wouldn't know about Forrest catfishing her.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JT Jag posted:

i bet even if you came from the future with all the episodes on an ipad and showed Forest the consequences of his actions he would still go ahead with the reviews because he is a stand up guy and made a commitment.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

dik-dik posted:

"How many sons do you have?" Hahahaha

Punch Card posted:

You're like an elf!

She's the best.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I really like how they present Forrest's dad; he's a really decent person and his son just keeps putting him through trauma after trauma, but he still loves and cares about him.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

dik-dik posted:

She did figure it out in last season's finale.

The thing to keep in mind though is that everything we see in the show is what Forrest wants us to see. So there may well have been more discussions between the two about his job.

Andy Daly also said in an interview that they tried to but ultimately decided against a "what's it like to fake your own death?" segment because it would force them to address how famous Forrest is. So far the only person we've seen who recognized him was Mrs. Greenfield's student. But again, including him in the segment was Forrest's decision.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Sep 5, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

This version still handles all this better than the original Australian Review. Myles Barlow's actions in the real world were completely detached from his ability to do reviews. He can, and does, end up on the run for a crime and does his review without the slightest worry that the show will tip the police off.

Also, the camera in that version is kind of magical, no one ever acknowledges it and some situations are recorded that would have raised at least some eyebrows.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love how Forrest doesn't even consider using one of the vetos in order to get out of possibly murdering his son.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

EL BROMANCE posted:

I love how Forrest doesn't even consider using one of the vetos in order to get out of possibly murdering his son.
Me trying to apply logic to a pretty absurd show is probably dumb, but I get the feeling he can only veto before he accepts. And he clearly accepted blindly with no idea what the legend of William Tell is.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Even so, he didn't even bring up vetos or how he should have vetoed the it. Which honestly fits well with what we know about Forrest and how he doesn't give a poo poo about anyone other than himself.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

He's gonna blow the vetos on utterly silly, pointless things (like trying to eat something he thinks might be kinda gross) and end up out of vetos and given a review of Murder or something.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

JT Jag posted:

He's gonna blow the vetos on utterly silly, pointless things (like trying to eat something he thinks might be kinda gross) and end up out of vetos and given a review of Murder or something.

I get the feeling it'll be Suicide

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Illinois Smith posted:

She did figure it out in last season's finale.

The thing to keep in mind though is that everything we see in the show is what Forrest wants us to see. So there may well have been more discussions between the two about his job.

Andy Daly also said in an interview that they tried to but ultimately decided against a "what's it like to fake your own death?" segment because it would force them to address how famous Forrest is. So far the only person we've seen who recognized him was Mrs. Greenfield's student. But again, including him in the segment was Forrest's decision.

Didn't she say something about the show when he was reviewing Batman?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zsinjeh posted:

Me trying to apply logic to a pretty absurd show is probably dumb, but I get the feeling he can only veto before he accepts. And he clearly accepted blindly with no idea what the legend of William Tell is.

This is what I think too. I've heard the story but never the name and as soon as he blindly accepted I knew a "William Tell" was a bad thing.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

At first I wondered why he gave William Tell two stars, considering he got two arrows in the chest and a lawsuit from his assistant. The thing about Review is that it can always get worse.

This seemed more suitable for a season finale than an episode halfway through the season. I don't know how it can get better and more dark than that.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Y-Hat posted:

This seemed more suitable for a season finale than an episode halfway through the season. I don't know how it can get better and more dark than that.

This applies to every episode this season

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn't she say something about the show when he was reviewing Batman?
All I remember from that is the divorce lawyer reading a long list of the crazy irresponsible poo poo Forrest did during the first half of the season when they were discussing custody over their kid.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

You're dressed up as Batman to your divorce hearings and you've pissed yourself.
"...it's not my urine"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

This is what I think too. I've heard the story but never the name and as soon as he blindly accepted I knew a "William Tell" was a bad thing.

Yeah I agree that maybe he can't veto once accepted, but also he never said he wished he could have, or talked to producer grant to find out he can't veto.

Also any rational human would just walk out of the situation. Nobody has a gun to his head. Forrest is not that person, and a loophole was the most we can expect from him.

It's only going to get worse. Kills me that each episode watched is one less episode to go.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I honestly think he's forgotten about the vetoes and will be reminded in the last episode

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Phoon posted:

I honestly think he's forgotten about the vetoes and will be reminded in the last episode

This is a shame because that veto booth pan is hilarious and I was hoping it would be a running gag in every ep this season.

Federal Preserves
Jun 30, 2011

Or is it right?
AJ also doing a delayed bow as Forrest bowed and thanked illegal Japanese whalers is the funniest thing to me for no reason. Made me laugh as hard as Lucille suddenly getting shot by the arrow.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Left posted:

AJ also doing a delayed bow as Forrest bowed and thanked illegal Japanese whalers is the funniest thing to me for no reason. Made me laugh as hard as Lucille suddenly getting shot by the arrow.

Her reactions in that entire scene are amazing. She gets an amazing look of disgust when he starts to thank the illegal whalers, which turns to a sort of pensive acceptance, and then the delayed bow.

EDIT: I also just realized that the rowboat review gave us the first appearance of one of Andy Daly's favorite topics: international waters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its kind of crazy how low energy Forrest is compared to absolutely every single other character Andy Daly has done.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Andy Daly characters are all about escalation, that's what he's best at and it feels like the level of escalation in this series has been carefully planned, the stakes, the unexpected outcomes, forrests commitment and his issues are all getting bigger and bigger

Eg Don Dimello starts as a weird perv putting on xxx shows at a childrens theatre, then its revealed that he is breaking into the theatre and the girls are all hooked on heroin and by the time the podcast pilot project rolls around there are girls being murdered on stage and kept captive at a farm where they are under constant attack from wolves

E: what I mean is I think his energy has been steadily escalating also as he's gotten more and more lost in this whole endeavour

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Zsinjeh posted:

You're dressed up as Batman to your divorce hearings and you've pissed yourself.
"...it's not my urine"
thoughts a la a av club haha:
That line is telegraphed a mile away but he makes it work so well. The pause. The lean forward. The strained delivery.
This show reminds me of something The Onion would have made. Like that Hamming across America web series or Sex House.
I enjoy how he keeps rediscovering rage as the key emotion to a lot of these experiences.
Will this continued escalation mean this show has the potential to jump? Because what makes it work is, bizarrely, the grounded foils.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I agree that maybe he can't veto once accepted, but also he never said he wished he could have, or talked to producer grant to find out he can't veto.

Also any rational human would just walk out of the situation. Nobody has a gun to his head. Forrest is not that person, and a loophole was the most we can expect from him

You remember the story about the man with the stick who wouldn't stop playing with fungus?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Also any rational human would just walk out of the situation. Nobody has a gun to his head. Forrest is not that person, and a loophole was the most we can expect from him

You remember the story about the man with the stick who wouldn't stop playing with fungus?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Boywhiz88 posted:

huh?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Boywhiz88 posted:

No?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

That was penicillin. This could be your penicillin Forrest.

• Locked thread