Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Problem description: Computer will BSOD after 5-120 minutes (or so) after booting. WIll begin with USB drivers failing (mouse and wifi stops working, surprisingly not the keyboard), then programs will begin to freeze, then PC crashes. I'm fairly sure this might be down to my larger hard drive failing as it came up with some errors a couple of weeks ago but since scans fine.

Attempted fixes:
  • Running
    code:
    sfc /scannow
    , comes up with errors
    code:
    2015-07-27 19:29:15, Info                  CSI    00005206 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:60{30}]"Microsoft.PowerShell.Host.psd1" 
    [*]of Microsoft.Windows.PowerShell.V3.Common, Version = 10.0.10240.16384, pA = amd64, nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, hash mismatch
  • Running windows memory diagnostic, 2 passes, no errors found
  • Reformatting and installing Windows 10 (only OS HDD was reformatted), but this didn't fix issues and the same error as above came up
  • Running CrystalDIskInfo, found errors on drive E:

• Ran
    code:
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    which gives error
    code:
     Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
  • Also tried running another program which is supposed to repair this specific error, because lots of people had been getting it with KB3074665, but it was deleted when I reformatted so if I find it I will post it.

Recent changes: Installed an extra 8 gigabytes of RAM, however all these errors were here before this

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1/Windows 10, both 64-bit

System specs:
code:
CPU: Phenom II X4 965t
GPU: MSI 560ti 2gb
PSU: 650watt Corsair
Hard drives: Crucial 64gb SSD (os)
Samsung 2TB HDD

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

edit: installed BlueScreenView and will post when it BSODs again, but usually gives error: Critical_Process_Error

Rockybar fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
I would try a clean install without your primary hard drive installed, if you haven't already. Can you post a screenshot of Crystal Disk with the C: selected?

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

As in, installing on the current E drive and disconnecting the SATA cable for the C?

Here's crystal disc for C:

Also, if the PC reboots by itself after bluescreen, if I've been away from it, it will just hang at the motherboard splash screen and will require a manual shutdown, not sure if that's worth mentioning.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
The crucial drive is running an old firmware. Details here

Update is here

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Many, many thanks. Glad I posted this thread, an oddly specific solution to what I thought might be a broader problem. It said it failed in the firmware update but CrystalDisk is saying it's on the new firmware. I will reply if it begins BSODing again. Thanks once more.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
In case theres been any corruptions because of the error, you may still need a clean install, but let's hope it's OK

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
SInce your E: drive is failing, back up any data important to you on the drive and disconnect it. I think the firmware update should fix your issues, but having a failing drive connected can also cause problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

I backed up all my data already, but I was planning to upgrade my SSD so I'll order a new hard drive at the same time and reformat again

• Locked thread