Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best roar
eyueeeaueerhggh (godzilla)
briiiurghhhh (king ghidora)
eurgh (mothra)
aa aaaaaaaa brrrrr (gamera)
WHERE'S THE NEW REBUILD (eva fans)
View Results

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Welcome to the Kaiju thread, where men are men and giant monsters roam free. Kaiju is a Japanese word that means monster, and it's used to describe all manner of monster movies. Colloquially, Kaiju refer to Daikaiju films, which are films about giant monsters. Not a lot come out anymore, but it's still a massively popular culturally defining genre!

The Monsters
Godzilla (ゴジラ)

Godzilla is the most famous kaiju of them all. He's the star of 28 movies and now an official citizen of Japan. Everyone loves Godzilla! :) Except for the military. :(

There are three different Godzilla series. The first, the Showa series. This series lasted from 1954-1975. This is the classic Godzilla you remember from childhood, with lovely dubs and friendly Godzilla. After that is the Heisei series. This lasted from 1985-1995. This series made Godzilla an anti-hero again, trying to bring him back to his roots as a symbol of nuclear holocaust. Finally, there's the Millennium series, that went from 1999-2004. This series raised the stakes and introduced the evilest of the evil, ORGA

New film to come out in 2016 directed by famed Evangelion director Hideaki Anno! Look forward to it.

If you want to get into Showa-era Godzilla, I recommend Gojira (1954) available from Criterion, King Kong Vs. Godzilla, Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, Godzilla Vs. Gigan and Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla. The best Heisei-era are Godzilla Vs. King Ghidora, Godzilla Vs. Mothra and Godzilla Vs. Destroyah. The best in the Millennium series are Godzilla 2000: Millennium, Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack and the amazing Godzilla: Final Wars, a movie so great I cannot put it into words

Gamera (ガメラ)

Gamera the Brave! Friend of all children! Gamera started off as a straight up Godzilla ripoff, but it became its own thing. Gamera is way more silly and child friendly. It's about a giant turtle with rockets in its feet that likes kids and doesn't like it when aliens make kids sad by stepping on their houses. There are 3 Gamera series, but Heisei and Millennium suck because they tried to make Gamera all scary and poo poo despite the fact that Gamera is a giant turtle with rockets in his legs.

If you want to get into Gamera, I recommend Gamera Vs. Barugon and Gamera Vs. Viras.

Special Mention:
ULTRAMAN

The protector of Earth! A lot of people say that Ultraman is a Toku show, but they are incorrect. Ultraman is a show about a man in a costume fighting other men in costumes on top of miniature sets. It's a kaiju show. I know jack poo poo about Ultraman. Sorry

GorfZaplen posted:

Here is an Ultraman description:

Ultraman is space Jesus. He saves monsters by fighting them and sending them to monster heaven, which they fall out of sometimes. He also fights aliens with his friends the Science Patrol. Watch Ultraman and Ultra Seven, and the episode of Ultraman Ace where the Ultra Brothers go to Planet Golgotha and are all crucified.

Talk about big monsters!

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

When is the simul of the series in order

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

When the American Godzilla was about to come out I watched a ton of the Showa Zillas, specifically all of the Ishiro directed ones and a smattering of others. You really can't go wrong with any of those films. A personal fave is Godzilla vs The Smog Monster. I'm looking forward to the Anno Godzilla, I hope he plays it straight and just makes another Godzilla movie with people in rubber suits slugging it out over plastic models.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Kaiju big

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He will, Anno loving loves Godzilla and is gonna make the best Godzilla movie ever in 2020.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
why is the poll not checkbox

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

why is the poll not checkbox

in true kaiju fashion, only one can win

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
also wow i'm the only person to vote for gamera so far? shameful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7N6TjhFwg8

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 27, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

But seriously, where the gently caress is the new Rebuild.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Im serious about the simul, show me some good godzilla and friends

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I've only seen the gaijin movies

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Here is an Ultraman description:

Ultraman is space Jesus. He saves monsters by fighting them and sending them to monster heaven, which they fall out of sometimes. He also fights aliens with his friends the Science Patrol. Watch Ultraman and Ultra Seven, and the episode of Ultraman Ace where the Ultra Brothers go to Planet Golgotha and are all crucified.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Namtab posted:

I'm not sure if that can happen because all these films are on dvd and i dont want to make people into pirates...

Maybe we should. I'll look into it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I never watched a lot of Kaiju and I'm sad of it, that's my kaiju post.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Namtab posted:

Just start from the first movie, it's an absolute classic. The tone is also quite different from every other movies, the first is a parable of nuclear weapons abuse that is legit horrifying at times. Once the movies are about Godzilla VS something it basically becomes wrestling where everyone is dressed kind of a like of dinosaur and those movies are awesome for a completely different reason.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Has anything other than the original film gotten a Bluray release yet?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I will uphold the Mothra honor

Eurgh is the call of the people

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Sakurazuka posted:

Here's a list of every movie's availability

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_(franchise)#Filmography

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Maybe in Japan

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm not sure if that can happen because all these films are on dvd and i dont want to make people into pirates...

Maybe we should. I'll look into it

They're on region 1 dvd afaict

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The one where they have a Kaiju Jurassic Park was rad. Destroy All Monsters I think.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The american movie should have been about Emperor Ghidorah, the ultimate life form.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Why the heck does Sea Monster have a Bluray, but not Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

GorfZaplen posted:

Why the heck does Sea Monster have a Bluray, but not Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla?

Rights, probably

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh wow, all of the Heisei and Millennium movies have BD versions apart from Return. That would be handy if they were region free. :v:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Which is the one where the American version of Godzilla from the Matthew Broderick movie appears and Japanese Godzilla effortlessly mashes him into a bloody pulp.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

In Training posted:

Which is the one where the American version of Godzilla from the Matthew Broderick movie appears and Japanese Godzilla effortlessly mashes him into a bloody pulp.

Godzilla: Final Wars

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

Godzilla: Final Wars

I'm gonna watch this this week. Thanks for the thread

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In Training posted:

That scene was epic because the alien glam singer who was controlling the monsters throws a tantrum and calls GINO a fish eating iguana.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Final Wars also had a badass drill submarine with a badass old captain

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

You forgot the best one.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Query: Has there ever been a good Godzilla video game

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

War of the Monsters.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I don't know why you'd trash the Gamera Heisei trilogy, those movies are rad as hell.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Smoking Crow posted:

I bought the new PS4 one but calling it good would be a stretch. It's fun enough if/when you can get it for cheap though.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Book recommendation: I recommend Godzilla on My Mind by William Tsutsui. It's half a look at the history of Godzilla and half an autobiographical look at a child's love for a giant green lizard

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

https://vimeo.com/3366662

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

put mothra in the op fucker

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

this episode has some fun godzilla stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II5IHH19OV4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Big man Japan is a story of an Ultraman type of figure who is unappreciated and hates his job. It's got some really strange monsters in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1Cm39xDWmQ

I had this and I think a couple of others on VHS as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6jYFhZiUvc

I can't remember ANYTHING about the bits with humans running around but apparently there is a bunch of space monkeymen and probably some other weird poo poo which speaks of how awesome the giant monster fights were that it doesn't even ring a bell.

• Locked thread