Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best roar
eyueeeaueerhggh (godzilla)
briiiurghhhh (king ghidora)
eurgh (mothra)
aa aaaaaaaa brrrrr (gamera)
WHERE'S THE NEW REBUILD (eva fans)
View Results

• Locked thread
everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Was too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

everythingWasBees posted:

The 2014 Godzilla was good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I enjoyed it. :)

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
2014 Godzilla had Soldier-who-is-everywhere-and-can-do-anything for a main character. He could do things like board a heavily guarded train carrying nuclear devices (out of his uniform if I remember correctly) and not be shot or detained immediately by the men guarding it. Just a quick "no brah, I'm totes a soldier. Lemme on, I need a quick lift to Fresno or whatever." Dude really needed to be about five separate character to make the plot sane.

It also featured Godzilla fighting other kaiju. I'd call it a wash, honestly.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 13, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Can't believe I just noticed this thread. I'm a crazy rear end kaiju freak, have been for over twenty years. My first Kaiju Flick was probably Rodan on a lazy Saturday afternoon in the 80's, but it wasn't until there was a big Godzilla feature in the first issue of the short lived "Monsters Attack!" magazine that I got hooked. I'm a total Godzilla nerd. I've even been to Kaiju conventions in my life.

Someone was asking in the thread about good Godzilla games. The first NES game is honestly probably my favorite all time game. I have no excuse, it's long and slow, but drat is it good. (honestly I'm pretty sure THAT had a hand in my building a love for the genre too). I've also really liked the Japanese-only Game Gear game, which is a cross between the fighting style of the NES game and tactical simulations like say, Godzilla 2 on the NES or Fire Emblem. The Japanese Game Boy Game (which is not at all the same game as the US Game Boy Game that's a crappy puzzle action game ala the Bugs Bunny series) seems good and has just about every dang Toho Kaiju up to that point in it, but for some reason every time I try to play an emulated version, once I get to the first boss (Mothra) suddenly the game bugs out and Godzilla won't respond to my controls and moves spastically, until killed. :iiam:

Regarding the 2014 movie, yeah the human cast was stupid in it, but it's hardly alone in that criticism. The Kaiju action was actually longer than it is in some of the past movies, and more dynamic. It ranks comfortably in the middle of the pack for me quality wise.

Also thanks to AzraelNewType for the Ultraman links. I've only really seen the first season of the original Ultraman due to a dvd set my son ended up getting once from Wal-Mart. (I've passed on the Godzilla love to him.)

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Final Wars also had a badass drill submarine with a badass old captain

Go seek out Atragon.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The Japan only Godzilla 2D fighting game is garbage

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

Go seek out Atragon.

Saw the trailer. It looks like the best thing. Did Final Wars just take inspiration from it, or is it another Toho IP that got repurposed?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BattleCattle posted:

Saw the trailer. It looks like the best thing. Did Final Wars just take inspiration from it, or is it another Toho IP that got repurposed?

It's an old IP, the original 60's movie was based on a book that's kind of like the Japanese version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
There's also a two part anime OAV called Super Atragon from the 90's that's pretty nifty.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

The 2014 Godzilla was annoying because every time monsters would start fighting they would show a few seconds of it and then go, "nah..." and then have the view obfuscated. I understand what they're going for, but it's just annoying when it's so obvious. Let me watch the big monsters fight!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Smoking Crow posted:

The Japan only Godzilla 2D fighting game is garbage

which one?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Choco1980 posted:

which one?

the one for snes, Kaiju Daikessen

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

Welcome to the Kaiju thread, where men are men and giant monsters roam free. Kaiju is a Japanese word that means monster, and it's used to describe all manner of monster movies. Colloquially, Kaiju refer to Daikaiju films, which are films about giant monsters. Not a lot come out anymore, but it's still a massively popular culturally defining genre!

The Monsters
Godzilla (ゴジラ)

Godzilla is the most famous kaiju of them all. He's the star of 28 movies and now an official citizen of Japan. Everyone loves Godzilla! :) Except for the military. :(

There are three different Godzilla series. The first, the Showa series. This series lasted from 1954-1975. This is the classic Godzilla you remember from childhood, with lovely dubs and friendly Godzilla. After that is the Heisei series. This lasted from 1985-1995. This series made Godzilla an anti-hero again, trying to bring him back to his roots as a symbol of nuclear holocaust. Finally, there's the Millennium series, that went from 1999-2004. This series raised the stakes and introduced the evilest of the evil, ORGA

New film to come out in 2016 directed by famed Evangelion director Hideaki Anno! Look forward to it.

If you want to get into Showa-era Godzilla, I recommend Gojira (1954) available from Criterion, King Kong Vs. Godzilla, Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, Godzilla Vs. Gigan and Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla. The best Heisei-era are Godzilla Vs. King Ghidora, Godzilla Vs. Mothra and Godzilla Vs. Destroyah. The best in the Millennium series are Godzilla 2000: Millennium, Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack and the amazing Godzilla: Final Wars, a movie so great I cannot put it into words

Gamera (ガメラ)

Gamera the Brave! Friend of all children! Gamera started off as a straight up Godzilla ripoff, but it became its own thing. Gamera is way more silly and child friendly. It's about a giant turtle with rockets in its feet that likes kids and doesn't like it when aliens make kids sad by stepping on their houses. There are 3 Gamera series, but Heisei and Millennium suck because they tried to make Gamera all scary and poo poo despite the fact that Gamera is a giant turtle with rockets in his legs.

If you want to get into Gamera, I recommend Gamera Vs. Barugon and Gamera Vs. Viras.

Special Mention:
ULTRAMAN

The protector of Earth! A lot of people say that Ultraman is a Toku show, but they are incorrect. Ultraman is a show about a man in a costume fighting other men in costumes on top of miniature sets. It's a kaiju show. I know jack poo poo about Ultraman. Sorry

Talk about big monsters!

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Who's that?

What's he do?

Where's he from?

Did he punch a big monster once?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

BattleCattle posted:

Who's that?

What's he do?

Where's he from?

Did he punch a big monster once?

He beat the biggest monster of them all the pachinko monster named "Bog".

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

That sounds less than plausible.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
those recommendations leave out biollante and thus are incomplete

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Smoking Crow posted:

the one for snes, Kaiju Daikessen

Ah fair enough. I almost thought you meant the Turbo Duo one from the same year, and we were about to have words.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Do you guys like Kaiju Big Battel

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Do you guys like Kaiju Big Battel

I had the book in highschool. I've never seen any of it in action but I think it's a really cool idea.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

So what's the thoughts around here with the announcement that Legendary Pictures is moving their King Kong sequel over to Warner Bros from Universal with the sole reason being so part three will be King Kong versus Godzilla (also Godzilla's part three)?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Choco1980 posted:

So what's the thoughts around here with the announcement that Legendary Pictures is moving their King Kong sequel over to Warner Bros from Universal with the sole reason being so part three will be King Kong versus Godzilla (also Godzilla's part three)?

It will probably suck

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

King Kong better have electricity powers.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can't decide which was worse, that Peter Jackson King Kong movie for the American Godzilla from 2014. Combining them together...good lord

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i liked the king kong game

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

In Training posted:

I can't decide which was worse, that Peter Jackson King Kong movie for the American Godzilla from 2014. Combining them together...good lord

That's a tough question. King Kong is deeply flawed but at least has fun human characters throughout it. Godzilla is firmly middle of the pack quality wise for his long series, but the humans outside of Bryan Cranston are practically intolerable and stupid. They're both blah films with some good parts.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Gamera's better.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

In a seemingly serendipitous manner, Shout Factory is streaming all 39 episodes of the original Ultraman even as we speak! No commercials!

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/series/ultraman

All episodes are subbed so you get to see and hear all the dialogue in all its unfiltered glory!

If you want to see the one about the Monster Graveyard...

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/ultraman/the-monster-graveyard/55d260a569702d04d94e0901

If you only want to watch some of the better episodes..

Ep. 1 - the origin story, Ep. 2 - In battle with his most popular foes, the Baltans! and Ep. 28, the DaDa!

Weirder episodes- the Monster Graveyard one mentioned above, Ep. 10 where he fights Godzilla (a version that can't take a punch) and Ep. 11, which is so kitschy I can't even begin to explain..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 12, 2015

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I just started watching Ultraman, and...

In Episode 2, Ultraman flies away with the alien spaceship, housing more than 2 billion bacteria-sized aliens, and then there's a bright orange glow in the sky.

...Did Ultraman just exterminate a whole species?

Is... Is Ultraman a baddie? :ohdear:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Godzilla Final Wars is the greatest movie ever made. Peace be upon you.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

chumbler posted:

Godzilla Final Wars is the greatest movie ever made.

:agreed: It is :perfect:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Well there's the underwater fight we just plain don't see except for the aftermath, that would be nice to expand on, but otherwise I have no complaints.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla was one of my favorite movies as a child, so I'm kind of curious how it holds up now. Also, final wars is available for rent on amazon video, so I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

chumbler posted:

Godzilla Final Wars is the greatest movie ever made. Peace be upon you.

It would be if they had cut 99% of the whole "Mutant" subplot and given all that screen time to making most of Godzilla's fights in that movie last more than a minute

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BattleCattle posted:

I just started watching Ultraman, and...

In Episode 2, Ultraman flies away with the alien spaceship, housing more than 2 billion bacteria-sized aliens, and then there's a bright orange glow in the sky.

...Did Ultraman just exterminate a whole species?

Is... Is Ultraman a baddie? :ohdear:

1) It was the late '60s, a more innocent time and all aliens (except Ultramen) are scum?

2) Besides, he only got that one ship.. the Baltans come back in episode 16 and a reconstituted one appears in episode 33 courtesy of Alien Mefilias, who is looking for someone to 'give him the Earth.'

3) The Baltans make appearances in other Ultraman series, the Japanese consider them a cultural icon, so you'll see them again and again in other 'universes.'

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, they're pretty much the main villain "rival" baddies as far as I understand Ultra-canon. Like, they show up multiple times just in the first season of the show even...

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HH0k_HNjBA

Gamera is really neat, he is filled with turtle meat!

(Ohhh my GAWWWWD)

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Lamprey Cannon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HH0k_HNjBA

Gamera is really neat, he is filled with turtle meat!

(Ohhh my GAWWWWD)

My prayers were answered!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Holy poo poo.

Is that supposed to be a sequel to Revenge of Iris' ending? It can't be, Gamera has both arms still...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I believe it's thanks to the success of Pacific Rim that all of these kaiju reboots are crawling out of the woodwork..

Oh, someone else is getting a reboot too..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjOvth3O2Vs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Choco1980 posted:

Holy poo poo.

Is that supposed to be a sequel to Revenge of Iris' ending? It can't be, Gamera has both arms still...

As far as I'm concerned, it's close enough.

And man, who's to say he can't MacGuffin up a new hand out of plasma energy or magic glowy-comma priestess powers; he's a giant flying genetically engineered Atlantean turtle, anything goes.

• Locked thread