Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best roar
eyueeeaueerhggh (godzilla)
briiiurghhhh (king ghidora)
eurgh (mothra)
aa aaaaaaaa brrrrr (gamera)
WHERE'S THE NEW REBUILD (eva fans)
View Results

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Lamprey Cannon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HH0k_HNjBA

Gamera is really neat, he is filled with turtle meat!

(Ohhh my GAWWWWD)

Is it just me or is this trailer really dark? I don't mean tone, I mean like I could barely make out what was happening

Binary Badger posted:

I believe it's thanks to the success of Pacific Rim that all of these kaiju reboots are crawling out of the woodwork..

Oh, someone else is getting a reboot too..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjOvth3O2Vs

He's so shiny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Smoking Crow posted:

Is it just me or is this trailer really dark? I don't mean tone, I mean like I could barely make out what was happening

I believe that video might have been a recording from New York ComicCon; hopefully there'll be an official trailer out soon.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Ever seen Revenge of Iris? I'm only half sure I have because half the drat movie is so dark you can't see a drat thing.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

Ever seen Revenge of Iris? I'm only half sure I have because half the drat movie is so dark you can't see a drat thing.

Maybe get a better TV?

Dunno what else to tell ya. It's shot pretty well, frankly.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Great news Kaiji fans! The Asian 3 gamble is finally over and we can move on to Kaijis real gamble, against the nefarious Hyoudo Kazuya.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Eh, I think you're misunderstanding what genre it is we're talking about here.. maybe you need to read the OP? Unless you're just trolling us. Eh, never mind..

BTW, the Gamera 50th anniversary website is online now:

http://www.gamera-50th.jp

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

The bit that always struck me is that a lot of the footage has rounded corners. Like, there's the edge of the film gate visible there masking off part of the frame or something.

Man, I love that movie so much.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Mostly I'm referring to the early city fight with the Gyaos where it's all rubble and smoke and weird closeups that obscure everything. The Iris fight at the end is just fine. Then again, I understand that the director was trying to make a movie not so much about Gamera himself as much as the bystanding civilians caught in the middle of his fights.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

A little more anime than kaiju, but here is a Cliff's Notes anime of an old Ultraman manga mini-series. Might be pretty confusing if you're not familiar with the Ultra Brothers or Ultra series up until Taro..

http://animatorexpo.com/theultraman/

or the shorter YouTube version..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDV-p-WO7Ik

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

:siren:GODZILLA TEASER TRAILER:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCOSFZG9-KQ

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

:siren:POSTER:siren:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm excited.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Those of you who have cable and nothing better to do, check out El Rey Network; they're running their Kaiju Christmas marathon all weekend. All of the major Godzilla movies running over and over..

19 movies in all, starting from Godzilla King of the Monsters all the way to Godzilla Final Wars.

https://www.facebook.com/ElReyNetwork/videos/727870797317352/

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's a killer poster

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Too bad the eye there looks so goofy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I want to see that poster with a googly eye stuck on.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Jeez they gave Godzilla the Ultramar Noa Next treatment?!

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 4, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Seriously I hope they're doing something...else before the finished project. It looks just terrible.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think it looks cool

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It looks terrifying and badass.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

It looks like, unintentionally terrifying. Like when you go and look at like, the Hoggle puppet from Labyrinth today after it wasn't preserved and a lot of the foam has started to rot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
only it is intentional because godzilla is a hosed up mutant

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

It doesn't matter what the poo poo looks like as long as they shoot it properly

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, at least one of those pics is just in front of a full-bright blue screen, of course it's going to look like garbage in that context. Let's see how it looks with proper color grading and CGI greebles added before we make any sweeping judgments.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Somewhat similar to what they did to Ultraman the Next. Make it look like he's fibrous and missing skin..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

One more of the new Godzilla:

His hand almost looks.. HUMAN

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Don't mistake my incredulity for not being hype. I'm just perplexed--he actively looks like he's rotting and falling apart. I mean, if that's what they're going for, this will be interesting for sure...

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

It reminds me of Godzilla vs. Destroyah where Godzilla melts down. Maybe they're playing up the atomic holocaust metaphor post-Fukushima?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Also, it got revealed that Godzilla is 118.5m tall this time, 10m taller than American Godzilla

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Choco1980 posted:

Don't mistake my incredulity for not being hype. I'm just perplexed--he actively looks like he's rotting and falling apart. I mean, if that's what they're going for, this will be interesting for sure...

apparently there's a rumor floating around that the Godzilla in this one is a revived '54 Godzilla, and he spends most of the movie regenerating, which would explain some differences in design between some of the photos of Godzilla '16 that have surfaced

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

Also, it got revealed that Godzilla is 118.5m tall this time, 10m taller than American Godzilla

Good

Unmature
May 9, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

apparently there's a rumor floating around that the Godzilla in this one is a revived '54 Godzilla, and he spends most of the movie regenerating, which would explain some differences in design between some of the photos of Godzilla '16 that have surfaced

Cool.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Thinking about it, there's been lots of talk about using CG in this Godzilla heavily too. Which makes me think that maybe they're going the route of "enhancing" the practical effects with CG paint to make them look different? That can work great in some cases.

I'm still worried about that stupid googly eye though.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The googly eye accuses my soul.

hooked on Fauxnics
Dec 23, 2013
I didn't like the googly eye at first, but then I remembered Godzilla has had a long history of wonky eyeballs, and now I kinda like it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Google eye Godzilla Vs. 70s Cookie Monster eyes Godzilla

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I mean, the googly eye makes sense here. He's missing an eyelid.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

BattleCattle posted:

I mean, the googly eye makes sense here. He's missing an eyelid.

I'm imagining Godzilla licking his eyes now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Godzilla is going to save California

• Locked thread