Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You have opted out of healthcare but they are deducting $120/pay period regardless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Buried alive posted:

I want to make sure I understand this correctly..

Basically, your ER said "You can sign up with us or opt out." You chose to opt out, but have the funds go towards your wife's insurance. So you're getting paid (hypothetically) $1000.00 bi-weekly. They take 120 of that and put it towards your wife's insurance. They then said that 'sorry, can't do that anymore' and now you're only getting paid $880 bi-weekly and they blamed it on the ACA.

If that's all correct, then it sounds like your employer is full of poo poo.

Money quote:

Also if that money is money that you would have kept regardless of where it went as opposed to a bonus for opting out, then they're doubly full of poo poo.

If it's bonus money then they may have altered their bonus policy to make it more strict in order to make up for the fact that they now have to offer insurance to more of their employees than before. If that's the case then I guess I can see how it's the ACA's fault. So..was it bonus money or not?

Also also I am not a lawyer.

Keep in mind rules for small employers is different, but it's kinda hard to tell what they are. It appears that requiring 'part-time' employees to work 36 hours prior to getting health insurance does run afoul of the 30/week provisions in the ACA.

http://www.kellerbenefit.com/white-papers/employer-reimbursements-for-health-insurance-under-the-aca

This may be helpful?

• Locked thread