Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.
Defense plan for Ellington District

Total Cost: 64 RP
11 RP to be returned to the Imperial Treasury.

I decided to go light on this one since, as you said, it is a quiet sector. Since I have no idea what I'm doing I'd be fine being the Duke of a quiet sector.

Sirius

Cots
Ground: 1 Conscript (1)
Space:
GDN: 0 (1)

Artford
Ground: 1 First Line (6), 2 Conscripts (2)
Space: 1 Light Cruiser (6), 1 Sloop (2)
GDN: 2 (9)

Lakandon
Space:

Luyten

Travisond
Space: Sloop (2)

Kapteyn

Dobell

Ceti

Chalchtek
Space:

Gotica
Ground: 1 Second Line (4)
Space: 1 Destroyer (5)
GDN: 1 (5)

Eridani

Marlowe

Lipe
Space:

Samolety fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Thanks for this. Was expecting to maybe get 1 or 2 but so far that is 4 out of 5. If no one does the Central District by tomorrow afternoon I will throw it together and then we draw our random characters.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Xenocides posted:

Thanks for this. Was expecting to maybe get 1 or 2 but so far that is 4 out of 5. If no one does the Central District by tomorrow afternoon I will throw it together and then we draw our random characters.

I think you should probably do Central yourself, anyhow. In your person as our great Emperor. Since Central is directly ruled by the Emperor.

E: Although it does look like we could still use a plan for Sayakama District.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 31, 2015

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.

nweismuller posted:

I think you should probably do Central yourself, anyhow. In your person as our great Emperor. Since Central is directly ruled by the Emperor.

I agree with this, Glorious Emperor should handle Central.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

we were fairly lucky to all have chosen different sectors, as well. anyway, i hope somebody comes along for sakayama but you could draw that one up to start the game and leave the spot open for the future on a first-come-first-served basis

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 31, 2015

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Samolety posted:

I agree with this, Glorious Emperor should handle Central.

The Emperor doesn't bother with micromanagement. He has peons Dukes to do that for him. The Emperor follows overall policy, as is his right. :colbert:

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Slaan posted:

The Emperor doesn't bother with micromanagement. He has peons Dukes to do that for him. The Emperor follows overall policy, as is his right. :colbert:

Ah, but Central has no Duke. It's quite literally the Emperor's personal estate.

E: Hmm, it seems pretty clear what the Ducal family names of the different districts are. Given that every district name is a human surname.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 31, 2015

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

nweismuller posted:

Yeah, I wrote that late at night and apparently could not count to 4 last night. This does not bode well for my leadership skills.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

In any case I am going to start on the last 2 districts and post an update soon.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Question: do any of the district Dukes exist as Imperial characters, so that we know their given names, or no?

E: Oh right, Mas Pantaleon, the Imperial heir, is Duke of Armes, as is traditional for the heir. So guess who gets to be the awesome Asvari Master!

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 31, 2015

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

nweismuller posted:

Question: do any of the district Dukes exist as Imperial characters, so that we know their given names, or no?

E: Oh right, Mas Pantaleon, the Imperial heir, is Duke of Armes, as is traditional for the heir. So guess who gets to be the awesome Asvari Master!

I don't remember all the characters but yeah, the Duke of Armes is the Crown Prince though he probably delegates most of the responsibility to an Acting Duke of military leader. He is usually too busy dealing with concerns of the entire empire and functioning as an Avsari master.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Setup

Central District

Sol

Earth
Ground: Stormtroopers (9) First Line (6)
Space: Battlestar (22) Heavy Cruiser (9) Light Cruiser (6)
GDN: 1 (4)

Mars
Ground: 2nd Line (4)
Space:
GDN: 1 (4)

Ganymede
Ground: Conscript (1)
Space:

Total Cost of 66 so 9 surplus.

I would have loved to put in a few more light starships but I capped out at the no more then half limit. I was torn between a flotilla of light starships and a few heavies. Lights are more useful for blockades and are easier to deploy but I did want a few capital ships in case the need arises and plus what is the point of being an Empire if you do not have overbuilt ships. It will be some time before the Rebels can field anything that can fight a Battlestar. I put a line unit on Mars as if anyone comes snooping after the secret and runs into a patrol I wanted decent troops on the ground. The forces at Earth are there for redeployment elsewhere as needed. I would rather have a pair of Stormtroopers but am not allowed. I toyed with building another First Line unit but decided the surplus would be more valuable.

Sayakama District

Lalande

Lai
Ground: Stormtroopers (9) 9
Space: Heavy Cruiser (9) 18
GDN: 0 (1) 19

Pindi
Ground: Conscripts (1) 20
Space:
GDN:

Draconis

Draconis II
Ground: 2nd Line (4) 24
Space:
GDN: 1 (5) 29

Draconis III
Ground: 2nd Line (4) 33
Space: Destroyer (5) 38
GDN: 1 (5) 43

Wolf

Einstein
Ground: Concripts (1) 44
Space: Sloop (2) 46
GDN: 0 (1) 47

Vega

Mir
Ground: 2nd Line (4) 51
Space: Destroyer (4) 55
GDN: 1 (5) 60

Canis

Vulcan
Ground: Conscripts (1) 61
Space:
GDN:

Neogea
Ground: Conscripts (1) 62
Space:
GDN: 0 (1) 63

Ercoth
Ground: Conscripts (1) 64
Space: Sloop (2) 66
GDN: 1 (5) 71

Total of 71 so 4 RP surplus.

Put the Stormtroopers and Heavy Cruiser at the capitol to provide a reaction force. Put Line troops instead of Conscripts at Draconis and Mir to hopefully beef up defenses if Rebel characters run into them. I am not happy about the Canis system. Ercoth is close to revolt but I do not have the resources to put enough troops down to stop a rebellion. If the planet begins skewing further the garrison will need reinforcing.

Armes District

Slaan posted:

Military Plan for Armes District:

Submitted for the Approval of his Majesty, the Great Emperor

Budget:

Ground Forces: 37 million credits
Spacecraft: 21 million credits
Planetary Defence Systems: 17 Million Credits

Cygni

Batres (3)
Ground: Storm Trooper (9)
Space: Light Cruiser (6)

Lindeso (2)
Ground: 1st Line (6)

Ross

Drasperon (0)
GDN:

Zasperon (0)
Space: 0
GDN:

Ophiucus

Aquaria (2)
Ground: 2nd line (4)
GDN:

Altair

Ragnar (3)
Ground:First line (6)
Space: Corvette (3)

Intlig (0)
Space:
GDN:

Ignis

Ignis II (2)
Ground: Second Line (4)

Ignis IV (0)
Space: 0
GDN:

Deepspace Station Hyper-Alpha (0)
Ground: Second line (4)

As this sector of space is well protected from any spacecraft-borne terrorist attacks (thanks to the Anomaly and Deepspace Station Hyper-Alpha), but maintains sizable populations of non-human races, I have chosen to align my budget with sizable forces of mainline troops in order to protect the populace from rabble rousers. The most elite units are stationed upon the District Capital, Lindeso and Ignis to maintain the Empire's important infrastructure.

The Emperor approves. You are promoted from Military Commander of Armes to Acting Duke in the Crown Prince's absence.

There is one problem with your plan and it is my fault. The Empire cannot build Corvettes. I did not put it in the list of spacecraft but the light ships available to the Empire consist only of Light Cruisers, Destroyers, and Sloops. I downgraded your 2nd Line unit on the space station to a Conscript and upped all 3 Corvettes to Destroyers. The price comes out the same. I like the setup.

Karalamp District

nweismuller posted:

What do the two numbers under the planetary government type on each planet space mean?

E: never mind, I see it's resource value above size.

On behalf of Imperial military planners for the Karalamp District, I propose the following deployment plan in the name of our glorious Empire:

Military Deployments for Karalamp District

Centauri

Chiron (3)
Ground: 2 conscripts, 1 stormtrooper
Space: 1 light cruiser
GDN: 1

Nessus (3)
Ground: 2 conscripts
Space:

Lacaille

Aurora (2)
Ground: 2 conscripts, 1 2nd-line
Space: 1 sloop

Vesperas (0)
Space:
GDN: 0

Van Mannen

Halen (0)
Ground: 1 conscript
Space:

Karibden (0)

Indi

Moronica (0)
Space:

Solaria (2)
Ground: 2 conscripts, 1 2nd-line

Kecsal (1)
Space:

Pavonis

Cedbia (0)
Ground: 1 conscript

26 RP are spent providing fixed defenses for every planet in the district, with the four most strategically-sensitive planets more heavily secured- the district capital, the Imperial center of trade, the Solarian motherworld, and the planet with the greatest extent of local unrest (as well as further, classified points of strategic sensitivity). 8 RP on sloops and 18 on conscripts provide basic order-keeping capability across the district. 8 more provide regular forces on the two most valuable worlds beyond the district capital. The remaining 15 RP are spent on providing a reserve on Chiron to respond to situations as needed. In the name of Pantaleon IX, Emperor of our great Empire, may the forces of the district provide diligent service.

The Emperor approves, Duke of Karalamp.

There is one flaw which is, once again, my fault. You cannot have more conscripts on a planet then half the size of the planet, rounded down, always a minimum of 1. The only planet where this is a problem is Nessus which can only hold 1 Conscript unit. I deleted the second. While this leaves Project Moloch slightly vulnerable we can move more troops in later and until then hopefully he will think there is nothing there since the planet is so lightly defended. This gives us a surplus of 1 RP for a total of 14 from all districts so far.

Ellington District

Samolety posted:

Defense plan for Ellington District

Total Cost: 64 RP
11 RP to be returned to the Imperial Treasury.

I decided to go light on this one since, as you said, it is a quiet sector. Since I have no idea what I'm doing I'd be fine being the Duke of a quiet sector.

Sirius

Cots
Space:

Artford
Ground: 1 First Line (6), 2 Conscripts (2)
Space: 1 Light Cruiser (6), 1 Sloop (2)
GDN: 2 (9)

Lakandon
Space:

Luyten

Travisond

Kapteyn

Dobell

Ceti

Chalchtek
Space:

Gotica

Eridani

Marlowe

Lipe
Space:

Your defense plan is approved and the Emperor sends gratitude for your frugality. He has been wanting a new ivory backscratcher.

No guarantees the sector will be quiet. There are fewer secrets but the Rebel player has the initiative as to where things turn hot. I do appreciate the spare cash. We will probably need it. We now have a surplus of 25.

Marat District

oystertoadfish posted:

The Marat Sector respectfully submits these draft proposals for the upcoming base realignment process.

the proposal is nearly evenly weighted between the different branches of Imperial defense. This should keep all the contractors happy.
GDN budget - 24 RPs. due to... political connections, several planets in this sector will see massive upgrades to their defense and surveillance systems. small grant packages are distributed across most of the other worlds.
Ground budget - 27 RPs. the elite unit is placed on xibalba, for... political reasons. darn those corrupt politicians! stacking up 2 conscripts on manzel, since line troops would get a negative there i think.
Space budget - 24 RPs. the wormhole system and the capital system receive the majority of these handouts, in the form of base facilities for three shiny new light cruisers. those corrupt politicians on xibalba keep sucking up military resources in no way warranted by anything going on there! gosh darn it!

cumulative prices are included for bookkeeping purposes after the individual unit's price, in parentheses.

Procyon

Oisad (3)
Ground:1st Line (5) 5
Space: Light Cruiser (6) 6
GDN: 1 (5) 5

Elfond (1)
Ground: Conscripts (1) 6
Space:
GDN:

Aerolis

Umbra (0)
Ground: Conscripts (1) 7
Space: Sloop (2) 8
GDN: 0 (1) 6

Rotina

Xibalba (3)
Ground: Stormtroopers (9) 16
Space: Light Cruiser (6) 14
GDN: 2 (9) 15

Deepspace Station Hyper-Omega (0)
Ground: 2nd Line (4) 20
Space: Light Cruiser (6) 20
GDN:

Stein

Menzel (1)
Ground: 2xConscripts (2) 22
Space:
GDN: 1 (5) 20

Dayan (2)
Ground: Conscripts (1) 23
Space: Sloop (2) 22
GDN: 0 (1) 21

Roca (0)
Ground: Conscripts (1) 24
Space:
GDN: 0 (1) 22

Groombridge

Morin (0)
Ground: Conscripts (1) 25
Space:
GDN: 0 (1) 23

Tolkin (0)
Ground: Conscripts (1) 26
Space: Sloop (2) 24
GDN: 0 (1) 24

Raisa (0)
Ground: Conscripts (1) 27
Space:
GDN:

How does that look? any mistakes i made? any trade-offs I should make? The space station's garrison sucked up points I would've loved to spend elsewhere - can you build conscripts on a space station? who even would be getting conscripted? I'd love to have more ground troops at the capital as a mobile reserve, but Xibalba and the space station seem to require more than just conscripts.

not to mention menzel, where there's kind of a lot of responsibility for two helpings of conscripts to handle, but on the other hand non-elite line troops would suffer a malus if i'm reading the colors behind the planets correctly. maybe the stormtroopers should go there?

also, will none of the higher-end ground troops even be built until Marat's tax round comes up? is that a reason to lean more heavily on conscripts?

The Emperor approves your plan.

One slight error as before, my fault. You can only have 1 conscript on Menzel as it is a size 3 planet (half rounded down, minimum 1). So I just switched the conscript with the 2nd line unit on the space station. You can have conscripts. These are large space stations with longstanding permanent populations. The conscripts would probably be station security, whatever passes for police, and maybe a group of reservists/militia. The non-elite troops do suffer a penalty on Menzel but they are still better then conscripts and if a line unit catches Rebel characters you get better troops to fight them with. I still think we may want to send the stormtroopers from Earth to Menzel.

We can build higher level ground units on any turn at the current taxed district capitol or Earth (when the Central District is taxed we can only build on Earth). If your district were to need troops you can at any time shift troops from Earth to your captiol and then they can be sent from there out to anywhere in the district if tension allows. On the turn the district is taxed tension goes up by 2 everywhere to facilitate troop movements. Basically assuming no hyperspace problems it take this long to deploy troops from somewhere to a non-district capitol:

1 turn from the district capitol
2 turns from Earth
3 turns from another district capitol
4 turns from anywhere else

The way the sequence of play goes you build first and then send out the troops so you can build at the district capitol and get those units there. When I played as the Rebels I tried to avoid missions in the district about to be taxed next turn as it was easier to escape after the mission if things went wrong.

Alright, we have 25 RP in the Treasury as compared to the Rebel's 10. Neither side collects any taxes on Turn 1.

Going to post a sign up list soon for people to get an Imperial job. Looks like getting characters may be delayed until tomorrow.

Xenocides fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 1, 2015

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Demographics and Politics of the Empire and Joining Imperial Leadership

Time for a rundown of the various facets of the Empire. Much of this is copied from the manual.

Species

Most planets have one or two dominant species listed on the map. To qualify they have to make up a third or more of the population. All planets have minorities of other species. Many species have colonized other worlds but the Empire has both subtly and blatantly encouraged colonists from non-human species to colonize in spread out colonies and avoid clustering around the motherworld. This is done to prevent a species power-bloc from forming that could allow a group to become strong enough to challenge the Empire.

Human

Humans represent the “core” of the Empire, hailing directly from Earth or descended from the colonists that spread to the nearby stars. The Empire was formed precisely by the Humans conquering everyone else. Supposedly, the Stellar Constitution guarantees equality to all the recognized races of the Empire, but in fact Humans have a clear dominance in Imperial affairs.

Travisian (Human)

In the year 78 P.S. the “prophet” Augustus Travis founded his new religion among the Humans on the planet Oisad 611, and it spread like a wildfire. Perceived as revolutionary and seditious, the sect was persecuted by the Empire. Finally, Travis and most of his followers accepted the choice given to them by Imperial Security: Exile to colonize the planet Xibalba, which nobody wanted because of the presence of a black hole in the planet’s star system, in exchange for “reinsertion” into the Emperor’s goodwill.
The colonists made Xibalba a very prosperous planet and behaved very well, paying all their taxes and respecting the Throne. On the year 205 P.S. his Majesty Terenz II admitted Xibalba as the 41st crown jewel and allowed the Travisians recognition as a separate race in the Empire, including the permission to colonize new worlds. They took advantage to spread to a few systems where they found only one habitable planet, in order to keep their isolation and avoid “contamination”. The aggregate of all four Travisian planets, sometimes expanded to include the Travisian minorities on other planets, is referred to as “Travisia”.

Although the tenets of the Travisian religion are hard to swallow for most other people, they are not evil. They promote harmony with nature, hard work, decency and virtue. Travisians are generally perceived as very honest, but closed-minded.
In the last century, especially after the discovery of the wormhole near Xibalba, they have abandoned some of their isolation and have increased their diplomatic, commercial and cultural relations with other planets. A few of them have even been quite active in Imperial politics. This “opening of the window” has led to some rift in Travisian society, with strong opinions in favor and against. From this also derives the controversy between those that think that they must continue to loyally support the Empire as Travis mandated, and those that want to join the “cleansing” rebellion against it in view of its sinful degradation.

Ragnari
A tall, furry, strong humanoid race which could be described as bear-like or gorilla-like. They originated from the planet Ragnar. Ragnari make excellent soldiers, and have provided the Empire during generations with some of its best. They also have an adventurous nature which makes many of them wander the stars as merchants, explorers, smugglers or pirates.

Ragnari are popularly (and unfairly) perceived as dumb, and they are the protagonists of many a joke. (“A Ragnari comes into a bar and…”)

Solarian

The Solarians are the archetypical “aliens”: Fetus-like, white skin, slanted jet-black eyes, bulbous head, skinny body… In fact, they are the people that visited Earth in “flying saucers” during the 20th Century, having discovered warp before the Terrans. It is believed that Human scientists secretly studied wrecked UFO’s and copied some of the technology in order to develop their own warp drives.

After their initial wave of peaceful exploration, the Solarian society suffered a cultural collapse which led to a standstill in space exploration; they isolated themselves in their planet Solaria. Some say that the shock of discovering the barbaric ways of the Human race had to do with this. As it turned out, they were still holed up when the expanding Stellar Empire engulfed them and incorporated Solaria without a fight.

Solarian males are short, about 1.3 meters tall, but are much more adventurous and prone to travel than the females. These, by contrast, are very tall, usually more than two meters high, with long snaking necks and limbs. Most other races find the Solarians’ lack of clothing disturbing, even though there is nothing to see. They reproduce by abdominal fusion, eat by skin absorption of liquid foods, and excrete as a gaseous emanation which gives them their peculiar, and not altogether unpleasant, smell.
Although they have expanded to other planets under the Empire’s aegis, and by need have adapted to the customs of neighboring peoples, most Solarians tend to look down at other races and prefer not to mix with them too much.

Drak

The Draks are a strange race of humanoids with a warty, scaly skin, originated in Draconis III. Paradoxically, on the one hand they are a peace-loving, philosophical and lawful race, and on the other hand they are fierce warriors when roused to fight. Draks are very industrious and reproduce quickly, perhaps to balance their life span that is shorter than that of other races (a 40-year-old Drak would be venerable).

Unlike other races, Draks have no sexes; they are hermaphrodites. The convention is that when other races refer to a Drak, the correct term is “him” rather than “it”, and when referring to a Drak parent, he is a “father”.

Endobell

This flying bat-like race lives on the tops of huge sequoia-like trees or in cities carved on the face of high cliffs (like the famous vertical cities of Dobell 531). In some places they live in flat “normal” cities, but visitors beware: In the upper levels of their buildings, many doors open to the air! Their upper limbs, like those of bats, are wings; but they have some prehensile fingers free (including an opposing thumb) forming a useful hand. The Endobells are not very given to space flight, but they did take advantage of opportunities to colonize new worlds when prompted by Imperial policy. In many cases they share the planet with some other race, filling different ecological niches. Endobells are appreciated as workers in gaseous planets, because they can fly around floating cities to perform maintenance.

Aquarians
The Aquarians are an amphibious humanoid race evolved on the sea planet Aquaria, living mostly in cities built at the bottom of shallow seas, near the coast. They became civilized in the air, however, developing their industries on the surface of the few small continents of the home planet; since technology requires fire, and fire cannot exist in water. They later used air-containing underwater domes to exploit the sea and its bottom.

The skin and gill-lungs of Aquarians adapt to the environment in which they are currently living, although they prefer to have water handy even if dwelling on land. They don’t tolerate prolonged dryness, and must carry a water spray dispenser if staying out of the liquid for a prolonged time. They like to travel space as well.

Even with their different physiology, Aquarians are surprisingly human-like, with the same general face and body appearance. Their skin is blue, smooth (not scaly), and they have discretely webbed feet and hands. They also sport a short, eel-like tail. Some of them have the latter amputated in order to better fit among other humanoid races.

Igneans

A strange orange-colored humanoid race with bald cone-shaped heads that thrives in temperatures around 40-45 degrees Celsius. Igneans are incredibly strong in the presence of great heat, but weak and docile, almost vegetative, in cool environments. Technologically they are behind other races and have little to offer to the Empire and its politics. They expanded to other planets only because the Empire prodded them to colonize hot areas that could not be used by other races in a few worlds.

Lakandi

The Lakandi are, among all the alien races, the most Human-like. In fact, they are genetically-related to Humans, and many scientists are certain that the two races had a common origin. Most inter-racial marriages (that do occur on occasion, weird as it seems) are sterile, due to the genetic incompatibility; but Human-Lakandi couples are fertile and may have children.

The Lakandi can best be described as elves from J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings; thin, lithe, beautiful, intelligent, with slanted eyes and pointed ears. In fact, many Humans refer to them as “elves”, sometimes derisively, and Lakandi don’t appreciate the term.

Janidel was crowned king of Lakandon a few years ago, despite hinted Imperial disapproval. He leads a highly sophisticated society, which has provided the Empire with some of its best technicians and scientists. However, recently many Lakandi have been declining to accept assignments at Imperial institutions, disgusted by the current policies of the Emperor. King Janidel secretly gives some aid to the Rebel cause, without openly opposing the Empire.
The inhabitants of Lakandon are advanced, but they are not interested in expansion. Except for individual cases, the vast majority have chosen to live only on their planet of origin.

Chapine

The planet Kecsal is home to a race of communal insectoids similar to ants or bees, but very large, and with human-like intelligence. In fact, Chapines look like a giant ant or beetle, walking on four legs and using their two forelegs as arms and hands. The workers have a simple “eye” on one of their fingers, which aids greatly in technical tasks since they can “see” inside machinery.

The Chapines, as could be expected, have a caste system. At the bottom are working sterile females, which have average intelligence. Then we have the warriors, sterile males, strong and big, but not very bright intellectually. They are appreciated for special Imperial military units. The royals are prince-drones (fertile males) and princesses (fertile females). When the king and/or queen of a hive die, the princesses first fight each other (usually not to the death) and the winner is prospective new queen. Then she runs out to the desert and the drones (from the same hive and from neighboring ones) chase her while fighting each other, with the one reaching her becoming the new king. The new couple are both the reproducers of the hive, and its governors (being intellectually superior) with the king being top cat. The losing prince-drones who survive the nuptial race form the council of advisors of the new king, and become sterile. The losing princesses also eventually become sterile and are normally assigned to administrative tasks or as military commanders, so their intelligence does not go to waste.

The planet Kecsal has many hives, just as other planets have cities. Each hive is autonomous, but the planet is governed by a council of all the hives, a sort of parliament. Hives are underground tunnels, similar to ant colonies, with workers going out to the surface to harvest food. Most of the advanced technological industries on Kecsal are also on the surface, where small towns also exist to host visitors from other races.

A few Chapine hives have been allowed to settle on other planets, especially where their labor is needed, but nowhere except on their home planet are they numerous enough to have representation as a separate race in the game.

Tritonid

Tritonids are a rather backward race inhabiting the planet Moronica. They are amphibians, but are less humanoid than the Aquarians, with scaly, dark-green skin and fins on their head, back, elbows and feet. Their face is also more fish-like. They reproduce slowly, so they never filled all the areas of their planet and couldn’t prevent Aquarian and Drak colonies from being settled on Moronica. These races now outnumber the natives, and they are resentful.

Cyborg (Human)
The Human colony on the frigid planet Ercoth began experimenting with ways of making the colonists more naturally resistant to the cold. Soon the experiments got out of hand, and the Ercothians were bent on exploring “new levels of existence” through incorporating machine parts into the human body, genetic manipulation and use of strange drugs. There seemed to be no limit, as all kinds of weird monsters were being created (such as two-headed or four-armed persons).

This horrified the rest of the inhabitants of the Empire, and there was a generalized outcry to make them stop. Finally, the Emperor clamped down on Ercoth, an Imperial Viceroy was imposed, and a total prohibition was established on experimentation and “enhancement”. This led to the Cyborg Revolt, which went on for almost a year with great losses on both sides. Finally, a treaty was signed where the Cyborgs were recognized as a separate race of the Empire and allowed to make some cybernetic enhancements on their bodies which they considered essential. An Imperial Law imposing strict limitations on how far this could go was decreed. The law boiled down to the requirement that no enhancement make a citizen non-humanoid, or non-living, or too physically powerful, or psychic, or replace his/her brain; and that enhancements could only be made if the person allowed them (being of a minimum legal age). A few Cyborg citizens do choose not to be implanted, or to take only minimum enhancements, but they are considered extravagant by the rest.

The Cyborgs accepted the Law and its spirit sincerely, and they no longer want to go so far in their customs as to become alien to the other races of the Empire. However, they do want a bit more of liberty, and they resent the hate and contempt which the other races feel for them. For a Cyborg, the cybernetic implants and genetic manipulations are just as clothes, shoes, vaccines or tools are for other races. They just want to be understood.

Boroin

The Boroin are vaguely humanoid beings. They do have a head (but no neck), two arms and two legs; but they are rather formless, like if they were made of putty. Their face is barely recognizable and only has one eye with a slit-like mouth. Their skin is purple with pink spots.

Boroins live on the toxic (to other species) planet Chalchtek. They can live just fine in normal atmospheres, although they do need periodic infusions of their own “poison” to be healthy. A strange thing about them is that they have three sexes, all of which are required to reproduce.

The planet Chalchtek has many valuable resources, and the locals are of course the most suited to exploit them, so the Empire has treated them nice (relatively) and given them equal status as an Imperial race, with Chalchtek being considered one of the jewels of the Emperor’s crown.

Boroins live in a harmony coming from a loose telepathic connection between all of those living on the planet Chalchtek. This collective mind makes important overall governing decisions, like when to sow and when to reap, or when to declare war; but it is not specific enough to resolve an individual’s problems, or to allow Boroins to speak with each other mentally. It is more like a general wisdom. Chalchtekites that leave the planet break connection with the collective, which is a cause of some psychological stress.

Government

The Stellar Empire

All the power of the Stellar Empire emanates from the person of the Emperor, who theoretically owns everything and everyone; in this sense it is an absolute monarchy. However, from its inception a Stellar Constitution and a body of laws have existed to define and moderate the exercise of this power. Persons and planets have rights, which even in the time period covered by the game are at least in theory respected and observed. The progressive disregard for these rights and the abuse of power are precisely what have incensed the people and brought about the rebellion.

Imperial legislative power is in the hands of the Stellar Senate, where every planet that has official recognition as a “jewel of the Emperor’s crown” has representation by one senator. The senators are designated by the local government of each planet in accordance to its own political system, and their persons are inviolable.

The Senate has the power to pass laws, but the Emperor has the right to veto any of them. In theory, the Senate also holds a similar power to veto Imperial Decrees, but the last time that such a decree was vetoed was more than 200 years ago.

The Stellar Empire is an Empire because it consists of an overlord (the Emperor) ruling over many semi-independent vassal states. Each planet is self-governed with a political system of the people’s choosing, although as overlord the Emperor retains the right to intervene “if Imperial interests are affected”. In addition, the planet’s citizens must pay Imperial taxes and tariffs, and every year a quota of the young and fit must serve in the Imperial Army.

The Imperial armed forces are a supranational army, but each planet is allowed to raise and maintain a local army for its security. These forces are technically subordinate to the Imperial High Command in case of need, and are represented in the game by conscript units (or sometimes by “sovereign’s own” units).

The diverse planets do not consider themselves a single “country” with each other. In fact, they relate by diplomacy; with ambassadors, treaties, even wars on occasion. A citizen of Karibden might need a visa to go to Nessus, for instance.

These are the descriptions of the government types on the planetary display:

Captaincy-General

Important colonies are governed by Captain-Generals named by the Emperor until such a time when they reach enough population and importance to be recognized as a “crown jewel”. After recognition the locals must decide their style of government, a long bureaucratic process, and meanwhile the Captain-General remains in office. C-G’s exert absolute power over their colonies in the name of His Majesty, although of course the colonists expect fairness from their governor and may appeal to the Emperor if they feel grieved.

Collective Mind

The Boroins of Chalchtek do not have a formal government, although they do have a body of spokespersons. The race enjoys a quasi-telepathic bond, and major decisions are taken by the common wisdom of all the planet’s inhabitants.

Council of Elders

The traditional and simple-minded Igneans have mantained an anachronistic government system based on a council of the “Elders” of each clan on a given planet. The ruling of the council is law. The planet is represented by the “Head” of the council, although he/she holds no individual power other than moderating the council’s debates. The system might be considered republican, if it weren’t for the almost religious respect in which the people hold their Elders, and the submission that their decisions are met with.

Council of Notables

In this system, the government is in the hands of a council formed by the most notable citizens; preeminent and respected figures of religion, science, the professions, the arts, and business. The council functions in a way similar to any other parliament, and it elects among its members a board of directors to exert executive power.

Democracy

In democratic governments the people vote to elect all of their executive and legislative authorities, including a president; usually for a relatively short period of time, after which new elections are held. The rights of the individual are of utmost importance in a democracy.

Dictatorship

Most dictatorships claim to be democracies and hold “elections”, but these are either rigged, or the dictator regularly appears as the only candidate. His/her power is absolute. However, there is always the risk of suffering what he/she once did to another ruler; being toppled from power by an ambitious subordinate!

Hive

The Chapine insectoids from Kecsal live in hives, and in each its king reigns supreme. For matters of planetary importance, the kings of the various hives meet in a council, usually once a year. One different hive is named each year to be in charge of foreign relations, tax collection, recruitment selection and the other boring matters of planetary government.

Imperial Commander

The space stations are not really planets, although they function as such in the game. The Empire considers them military outposts, and a Navy Commander is placed in charge. Although he/she has to deal with the everyday problems of the civilians who live on the stations, his post is akin to that of a starship captain.

Imperial Viceroy-Governor

When the Empire was founded, the Emperor reserved for himself the Solar System (now Central District) as his personal fief. Earth and Mars (and later Ganymede) were governed in the name of the Emperor by appointed Viceroys.
When Bertoleon I organized the districts, or grand duchies, the capital planets were given as fiefs to the dukes. However, it was not expected that their highnesses would really have to look after the routine matters of governing those planets. Therefore, these were also appointed Imperial Viceroys, technically subordinate to their duke (and of course through him to the Emperor). So far so well. Most of the people of Central District and the capitals had no problem with the new status quo.
The Stellar Constitution provides for Imperial intervention in planets that are in turmoil or that otherwise “might affect the stability of the Empire”. This was always considered an emergency measure to be applied only rarely, and then temporarily. However, Pantaleon IX has invoked this law on more than one occasion recently to dismiss uncooperative planetary governments and rule the planets directly, in violation of the Constitution. On these planets he has placed Imperial Viceroy-Governors. This is one of the outrages that have led to the rebellion.

Monarchy

To be considered a monarchy in the game a planet must have a king or queen with a measure of real executive power; not just a figurehead. Incredible as it may seem, many peoples of the Empire have chosen to be ruled by absolute or parliamentary monarchs, due to the social stability and the aura of nobility and tradition that they bring.

Parliament

A parliamentary system has a powerful senate or parliament, which may be formed by aristocrats with a birthright to be there, or by elected representatives. The parliament delegates executive power on a prime minister or similar functionary, who exerts it in a way similar to that of a president in a democracy. However, a prime minister’s hold on power is more shaky than that of an elected president because it depends on the continued support of the parliament. If this is lost, the government falls and a new one must be formed (usually around a new prime minister).

Plutocracy

The government of the richest. The people have decided that those who know how to make an honest buck must also know how to govern well. Senatorial seats are won on this planet by demonstrating your wealth instead of by popular votes. The wealthiest person is Plutocratus Maximus, ruling as a president or prime minister would in other systems.

Politburo

The communistic planets are governed without tolerated opposition by their politburo, a.k.a. gerontocracy because they are mostly old geezers from the hard core Communist Party. The politburos make all the political decisions behind closed doors, including the appointment of their executive power figure, the chairman. One would think that socialist ideals would clash with the oppression of the Empire, but these stalinist governments are really chums with the Emperor. Any rebellion on these planets will come directly from the people; don’t expect the politburos to change their stance.

Presidency for Life

This is basically a democracy, but the people want to avoid the hassle of constant elections, so functionaries (including the president) are elected for life, until their death or resignation.

Republic

In the game, we define a republic in the old Roman sense; a senate formed by aristocrats, perhaps with some popular representation, holding all the power. The senate does not bother with naming a prime minister; they exert executive power directly, although in times of crisis (like a war) they might name a temporary dictator with absolute powers.

Stewardship

This is an absolute monarchy where the ruling line has been lost without heir apparent. However, the people have great loyalty to that ruling house, and they have an unshaken hope, perhaps supported by mystical prophecy, that one day a legitimate heir will rise to claim the throne. Meanwhile the planet is governed by a noble steward, whose post may be hereditary (if the king takes too long to return…)

Theocracy

The Travisian planets are ruled by the clergy. Religion permeates every aspect of Travisian life, so this seems only natural. Of course, theocracies tend to be closed-minded, inward-looking, and intolerant.

Imperial Roster

And because we can lets start giving everyone a planet. Here is what we have:

Central District

Sol

Earth
Imperial Viceroy Xenocides

Mars
Imperial Viceroy
X

Ganymede
Imperial Viceroy
X
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sayakama District

Lalande

Lai
Imperial Duke
X

Pindi
Imperial Parliamentary Representative
X

Draconis

Draconis II
X

Draconis III
X

Wolf

Einstein
Congressional Liaison
X

Vega

Mir
Imperial Priest
X

Canis

Vulcan
Captain-General
X

Neogea
X

Ercoth
Imperial Viceroy
X
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Armes District

Cygni

Batres
Acting Imperial Duke
Slaan

Lindeso
Advisor to His Majesty
X

Ross

Drasperon
Imperial Worker's Commissar
X

Zasperon
Imperial Worker's Commissar
X

Ophiucus

Aquaria
Imperial Censor
X

Altair

Ragnar
Advisor to His Majesty
X

Intlig
Imperial Councilor
X

Ignis

Ignis II
Imperial Eldest
X

Ignis IV
Advisor to His Majesty
X

Deepspace Station Hyper-Alpha
Imperial Commander
X

Karalamp District

Centauri

Chiron
Imperial Duke
nweismuller

Nessus
Military Liaison
X

Lacaille

Aurora
Congressional Liaison
X

Vesperas
Imperial Plutocratic Ambassador
X

Van Mannen

Halen
Imperial Eldest
X

Karibden
Advisor to His Majesty
X

Indi

Moronica
X

Solaria
Congressional Liaison
X

Kecsal
Imperial Hive Commander
X

Pavonis

Cedbia
Imperial Viceroy
X

Ellington District

Sirius

Cots
Military Liaison
X

Artford
Imperial Duke
Samolety

Lakandon
Advisor to His Majesty
X

Luyten

Travisond
Imperial Priest
X

Kapteyn

Dobell
Advisor to His Majesty
X

Ceti

Chalchtek
Imperial Psychic Ambassador
X

Gotica
Imperial Viceroy
X

Eridani

Marlowe
X

Lipe
Imperial Stewardship Coordinator
X

Marat Sector

Procyon

Oisad
Imperial Duke
oystertoadfish

Elfond
Imperial Presidential Delegate
X

Aerolis

Umbra
Imperial Priest
X

Rotina

Xibalba
Imperial Priest
X

Deepspace Station Hyper-Omega
Imperial Commander
X

Stein

Menzel
Imperial Eldest
X

Dayan
Military Liaison
X

Roca
Imperial Censor
X

Groombridge

Morin
X

Tolkin
X

Raisa
Imperial Censor
X

Signing Up

To sign up claim the planet (any one that has an X) and name any unit on the planet and any starship in orbit. Please keep the names fairly short due to space limitations. While all Imperial units also have numbers they have names to facilitate camaraderie and unit loyalty. The numbers are not needed. For roleplaying purposes you are either the leader of the planet or station (in cases of Dukes, Viceroys, Captain-Generals, or Imperial Commanders) or are an Imperial personage of importance on the planet in the government. You command Imperial forces on the planet and can use local forces (conscripts) in Imperial military operations. If martial law is declared you would be the equivalent of a Viceroy although the civilian government may continue to exist. You can change the title of the office as long as it makes sense with the government type of the planet but you do not have to.

Here is what I did with Earth:

Oh, and Dukes should feel free to name the ships and troops on their planet.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Declaration of Acting Duke Slaan in the Name of The Crown Prince

It is hereby accorded, under Imperial seal that:

The 47th Stormtrooper Cohort "The Nerd Herders" are instated on the Planet Batres and Armes District for the duration, to undertake all necessary functions as needed to safeguard the Imperial People and Government.

and that

His Majesty's Light Cruiser "Hyacinth" also be given all aid by Imperial citizens and personnel upon its current mission in the Armes District.

It so be enacted immediately

In his Imperial Might,

Acting Duke Slaan

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
The standing forces stationed at Chiron are the INS Intrepid, the light cruiser in orbit, the famous First Karalamp Stormtroopers Division, informally known as the Fighting First, and a total of two divisions of local Chironian forces, the Chironian Army and the Chironian Army Reserve. The Chironian Army Reserve formally encompasses the various local police forces on Chiron, with a few retired Army officers providing field leadership. The Chironian Army, like most other planetary army forces in the Empire, is underequipped and undertrained compared to Imperial Army forces. The Grand Duke Oskar Karalamp of the District of Karalamp is one of the primary advocates of the interests of the Commerce Federation at the highest levels in the Empire, holding that consolidating civilian wealth in large corporations via regulatory, licensing, tax, and other schemes can help ensure the application of resources towards Imperial policy, ensure wealth for Imperial nobility who grant special privileges to Commerce Federation members, and reduce the growth of independent economic power centers not dependent on Imperial largess. He believes a primary objective of the Empire should be the eradication of the Free Traders' Union, the various pirate vessels that prey on Imperial commerce, and the Hyper-Mafia, all of which he views as threats to orderly and controlled commerce in the Empire. Despite the basing of the Slaver's Cartel in his district and his tolerance of their activities (of course formally denying there is any slaving activity going on), he is somewhat cool towards the Slaver's Cartel, which he has no direct interests in.

Grand Duke Oskar Karalamp has recently been an advocate of significant naval expansion in the Karalamp District, hoping thereby to counteract the threat of pirate activity. The Intrepid and local patrol and customs vessels may have served thus far, but he views them as in the long run wholly inadequate to the challenges of securing the spacelanes against piracy.

Worth noting that, according to the manual, conscript units can represent planetary military forces as well as simple police forces. Regularly built line and elite army units in the Empire are all Imperial Army forces. There are some sub-division scale planetary forces of higher quality, attached to local planetary rulers, but they'll show up as planetary rulers get directly involved.

A communication between the Grand Duke Oskar Karalamp and His Imperial Majesty Pantaleon the Ninth

Your Imperial Majesty,

I hereby request your Majesty's advice and consent for irregularities in tax assessment in the upcoming collection cycle for the Karalamp District. As Imperial Naval forces in the Karalamp District are entirely inadequate for the duties they must be assigned in the future if we are ever to truly secure the Empire against piracy, I request permission in your Majesty's name to assess additional surtaxes and levies against the gross planetary products of my personal estate of Chiron and against the planet of Aurora. I believe that the loyalty of these worlds will endure and can be recovered in time, while the additional revenues may be used to reinforce currently inadequate Naval coverage, as well as providing a greater reserve of Imperial Army forces in Chiron.

On the other hand, given the sensitive situation that your Majesty well understands obtains on Nessus, I request permission to entirely excuse the population of Nessus from any tax burden whatsoever in the coming revenue assessment cycle and the cycle following. I believe Imperial revenues can endure the lost taxation from Nessus without extreme discomfort, and the value of further securing the planet's loyalty to your Imperial Majesty is doubtless obvious.

I am of course your Majesty's obedient servant, and will abide by whatsoever decision your Majesty arrives at, but by my best judgement this policy will best serve your Imperial Majesty, the Empire, and the District of Karalamp into the future. Long may your Majesty's glorious reign endure!

Your obedient servant,

Oskar Karalamp, Grand Duke of Karalamp District and Duke of Chiron

One question: do I need to abbreviate the conscript division names at all, Xenocides?

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 1, 2015

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

: I'm the what?
: You are the duke, Your Grace.
: Your what- I- What? I have six brothers in line ahead of me.
: Yes, Your Grace, and all six were onboard your father's yacht when the accident occurred.
: Well. poo poo. What do I even do? I wasn't trained for this! I was supposed to be the vastly disappointing son who spent all of dad's money on booze and women, not the duke!
: Your Grace, might I suggest, "reading the loving manual?"
: That sounds like work. What if I just wing it?
: Oh dear.

: And First Line Infantry, the 27th Raging Rhinos, was founded in the year-
: This is SO BORING!
: Your Grace?
: I've spent the last THREE DAYS listening to all this history and politics and yada yada. I have GOT to get out of here. I know just what we need! A party! A becoming-the-duke party! Do we have a boat?
: Unfortunately, Your Grace, the Ducal Yacht, along with your father and all of your brothers, perished in-
: Right, right... Let me think. I got it! What about a SPACE BOAT?
: Both the light cruiser Gambit and the sloop William D. Porter are currently in orbit of the planet, but I do not think-
: Perfect! We'll need them both. Call all my friends, and their friends, call the whole drat city, this party is gonna be AWESOME!

To His Imperial Majesty
The House of Ellington hereby reports the unfortunate death of the previous duke and six of his sons in an unfortunate boating accident.
His youngest son, Samolety Ellington, has taken to his unexpected role with enthusiasm.
We assure the empire that administration of the district will continue smoothly in the wake of this tragedy.
Sincerely,
Winston J. Ainsworth
District Undersecretary

Samolety fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 1, 2015

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Question, your screenshots show only one first line unit on Earth and one conscript unit on Chiron. Error?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

here's some names. some french names. looking for cool accents and spellings became more important than the strict word meaning. 'i' theme for the ships, french military history theme for the real troops, insulting names for the conscripts based on their planets/species/etc. if a french speaker wants to bother to correct anything i'll change it; might not be worth your effort

Procyon

Oisad (3)
Ground:1st Line - Vieille Garde - Napoleon's Old Guard represents the cream of the crop in the duchy's local forces and, in legend if not in fact, the duke's invincible bodyguard. the best soldiers have been going to the stormtroopers for centuries though, i'm sure
Space: Light Cruiser - Incroyable - i looked up translations for 'incredible' and found out there are a few good-sounding ones

Elfond (1)
Ground: Conscripts - Poissons poilue - hairy fish; this planet's shared by the aquatic species and the totally-not-wookies, i think. and ah, the alliteration

Aerolis

Umbra (0)
Ground: Conscripts - Énergumènes - firebrands? baddest-assed-looking word i saw in the synonyms of 'fanatic'; this planet is travisian
Space: Sloop - Indomptable - took a few words meaning 'dauntless'

Rotina

Xibalba (3)
Ground: Stormtroopers - Légion Noire - not very important historically but it sounds cool. or do our stormtroopers wear white? i'm implying that this unit is recruited from the conquering franco-humans of the sector
Space: Light Cruiser - Invraisembable - i looked up translations for 'incredible' and found out there are a few good-sounding ones

Deepspace Station Hyper-Omega (0)
Ground: 2nd Line Conscripts - Salauds Orbital - guessing it means 'orbital bastards', i think it sounds cool
Space: Light Cruiser - Inouï - i looked up translations for 'incredible' and found out there are a few good-sounding ones

Stein

Menzel (1)
Ground: 2xConscripts2nd Line - Grognards - can't be spamming this thing with Napoleonic references and not include this one. historical nickname for the old guard meaning 'whiners', which these guys would certainly be since the 1st line get to hang out on the home planet while they serve their tour out on a burning rock

Dayan (2)
Ground: Conscripts - Dompteurs de rats - let's double up on the casual racism by insulting both the space rats of the barbarian colony here and the majority of the planet who have to live with them
Space: Sloop - Intrépide - took a few words meaning 'dauntless'

Roca (0)
Ground: Conscripts - Insectes Volants - the bat species gets to be called flying bugs, not rats, because we're too ignorant to know that bats aren't bugs

Groombridge

Morin (0)
Ground: Conscripts - Étoiles Écœurantes - this is the most boring system in the sector and i don't feel like coming up with two hermaphrodite alliterative names in a language i don't speak, so here's a 'sickly star' alliterative name in a language i don't speak, featuring a bad-rear end ligature of o and e. their star's a little less red than the rest in the area

Tolkin (0)
Ground: Conscripts - Gendarmes Sans Genres - gendarmes without genders? alliteration rears its ugly head again
Space: Sloop - Inébranlable - ran out of words starting in i that meant dauntless on google translate so here's one that's like 'steadfast'

Raisa (0)
Ground: Conscripts - Poilue poilus voler - supposedly this means 'hairy flying poilus' which i guess is redundant but here, hairy is a racist term for the not-wookies and they're sharing the place with the sentient bats, so whatever. another part of french military history becomes grist for the reference mill. this is my most ambitious attempt at french grammar and it's probably awful

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 1, 2015

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

nweismuller posted:

Question, your screenshots show only one first line unit on Earth and one conscript unit on Chiron. Error?

Yes, there should be 2 conscripts on Chiron. Fixed.

On earth it was a typo. I only paid for 1 First line unit. Fixed it.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Thanks for the French names. Adding them and other names now. :)

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Setup: Character Draws

We get 9 characters to start. Here they are in the order drawn:

Nice, good to get at least one Avsari. His combat stats (Str, End, Agi) are very good and he has the Avsari lightsaber, sorry, plasma sword bonus so he can bodyguard a mission. He has a decent NAV and can function as a pilot though not an outstanding one. His other stats are middling to low.Most missions use INT, CHA, COU, RNK, or COM. He might be of use in a COU (courage based mission). His CHA is low for the Propaganda and Diplomacy missions he is good at but his bonus is not underlined so it applies even when he is not the Mission leader so he can support a P&D mission for someone with a higher Charisma. Ideally I will pair him with a diplomat who cannot fly a ship and the two can fly around telling everyone how great the Empire is.

You'll note the text on Col. Smith is not reassuring. There is a possibility this character may defect. Each side has one character who may switch sides. There are no real precautions to be taken. Just use him and hope he does not defect. He is a decent combatant and has high Courage and decent Intelligence. His main skill Command. He can command military units very well. His special ability is useful for dealing with Rebel camps (insurgent cells) and ending Rebellions. We will want to send him to hotspots to command ground troops to take care of these situations. Until then (it will probably be several turns) he can support other characters.

General Vonder is not much good for missions except maybe as a support pilot. Once we need military leaders he will probably be the best we have. His unsurprised ability is fantastic and his Command score is very high. He will make a good fleet or invasion commander.

Okay, bloody hell, how many military leaders do we need? An even higher Command score then Vonder but I generally prefer to be immune to surprise.

Okay, our mad scientist. He is always good to have around for healing, especially in a dangerous mission. He excels at Research and Prisoner Interrogation missions. Research missions let you look ahead at the next Random Event card and if you get a very good success, multiple random event cards ahead. If we capture someone we will probably ship the prisoner to Earth and have Dr. Sote have a chat with them.

A master spy. She is really good about operating behind enemy lines which sadly will not come up until there are enemy lines to get behind or we find the Rebel's secret base. She is also good at finding enemy secrets. She would also be a good supporting character on a coup de'tat mission and has a small bonus for Propaganda and Diplomacy.

A mobster marine. This guy I like. He gets a bonus in persuading the Hyper-Mafia (think Jabba the Hutt) to support us. He also provides an ability to sabotage and steal resources which should come in handy once the Rebels are on the board and has skills in escaping himself and rescuing prisoners. He also tells us where the Hyper-Mafia's base is which we would not know otherwise. It is on Intlig in the Altair System in the Armes District.

Our highest ranked character, expert at physical combat, and is nobility in a large part of the Empire for those missions where it matters. He is also our best pilot and has the Avsari bonus in combat. Although his Charisma is not super impressive he will probably be doing Persuade Faction and Propaganda and Diplomacy missions for the time being.

A one-trick monkey. He is designed to kill enemy characters. He is also decent at plain combat. He is probably best joined onto a team as support and then when the opportunity for as assassination mission comes up he takes over as team leader and tries to end the life of the opponent.

Okay, we have to create 4 teams of at least 2 characters each. That means 3 teams of 2 and 1 team of 3. Note that these teams are not permanent and can be changed by picking up and droppping off characters. We have an Avsari so one of them gets the Avsari Transport. We also draw 2 items and assign them (no more then one item per tearm. Here is my suggested distribution:

Team Alpha:

This team is my Propaganda and Diplomacy team. Smith can lead as he has one of the highest Charismas and Troyer gives a bonus. This team could easily break up if I need Smith elsewhere. I also gave them the Avsari transport.

Team Beta

My Espionage team. Totem will provide the team with some muscle until he is needed for military command. Stargazer gets the Laser Rifle. She is the most likely to face enemy forces this early.

Team Gamma

This team is available for Assasination missions if it comes up. If not Sote can perform research missions or other Intelligence missions as needed. Giovanelli serves as pilot and muscle and gives the team a good chance of persuading the Hyper-Mafia if needed. I may break off Sote and have him perform Research on Earth. He will keep the combat droid as a bodyguard.

Team Delta

This team will be used early on for winning over minor factions. Can also double as Propaganda and Diplomacy, particularly in the Armes District where Pantaleon's noble status gives him bonuses. Vonder is there because he has to go somewhere.

Thoughts?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Your Imperial Majesty, I strongly request the initial assignment of your noble heir Mas to Aurora there to assure the honorable members of the Commerce Federation of the Empire's commitment to policies of ordered and structured commerce for the benefit of both the Commerce Federation and the Empire. I believe that the Commerce Federation's support will be invaluable to reinforce our forces and assure revenue streams for the Empire in the future. I do not presume to set policy for the Empire, and defer to your desires, but nonetheless I believe this would be a wise move.

Plus, with the Slavers' Cartel on Aurora, we can immediately help commit another minor faction. Aurora seems like an idea starting point for our minor faction team.

E: Hey, I found another error, Xenocides. The cost for your GDN 1s in Sol should be 5, not 4, so Sol only should have given us 7 surplus.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 2, 2015

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

nweismuller posted:

Your Imperial Majesty, I strongly request the initial assignment of your noble heir Mas to Aurora there to assure the honorable members of the Commerce Federation of the Empire's commitment to policies of ordered and structured commerce for the benefit of both the Commerce Federation and the Empire. I believe that the Commerce Federation's support will be invaluable to reinforce our forces and assure revenue streams for the Empire in the future. I do not presume to set policy for the Empire, and defer to your desires, but nonetheless I believe this would be a wise move.

Plus, with the Slavers' Cartel on Aurora, we can immediately help commit another minor faction. Aurora seems like an idea starting point for our minor faction team.

E: Hey, I found another error, Xenocides. The cost for your GDN 1s in Sol should be 5, not 4, so Sol only should have given us 7 surplus.

Thank you for your advice. I am torn. Not sure where to focus first. The other options are to get the Bounty Hunters and Assassins after Rebel characters early in the hopes of some lucky breaks and eliminating and capturing key Rebel scum early.

Thanks for catching that. Neither me or my opponent did. Knocking down RP to 23.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Incidentally, maybe you should introduce our readers to the various minor factions?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Rebel Character Selection: Imperial Intelligence Report

CLASSIFIED - FOR THOSE WITH CLEARANCE A+ ONLY

This report includes the names and identities of Rebel Insurgents believed to be operating in Imperial Space. All are to be considered dangerous and should be terminated or captured (preferably) if possible. If termination is impossible report to higher authorities. All reasonable steps should be taken to bring these terrorists and criminals to justice. All are known to espouse the supposed ideals of the agreement forming the treasonous Rebel Concordance.

Alpha Team

Neo Scales is a skilled Avsari Rebel pilot believed subverted by his master. He is the pilot of the group. Mon Undite is another Avsari. Her brother was killed in an altercation with Imperial Security and she has apparently defected. According to the Avsari she is on a leave of absence but we believe she has been involved in locating records of Imperial activities best kept from the public. Her droid DiDi has been illegally modified to hack into Imperial network security. Lalejo Chan is a martial arts master and is skilled at infiltration. Several breakins are believed to be perpetrated by Chan. They are believed to be travelling on an Auroran freighter. As the Auroran freighter is common this is used as a form of camouflage.

Current intelligence reports that they are in hiding on Lipe in the Eridani System in the Ellington Sector but this is unconfirmed.

Many Rebel ships have the "civilian" modifier. If detected by a GDN or orbiting starship the pilot of the ship may attempt to bluff their way through as being on legitimate business if the pilot can roll a d6 (+1 if pilot has an INT of 4 or more) and can roll above the current tension level. Note that if the tension level is 0 this is automatic. If tension is high enough this can become impossible. Beginning Rebel ships are terrible compared to Imperial models but the Rebels have more options to upgrade to.

I suspect this team is optimized for Espionage. With Mon Undite leading an Espionage Mission they have a +1 for his Intelligence, +3 for Espionage Missions from him, another +3 from Chan (underlined modifiers only apply if you are leader but non-underlined count if you are on the team) and another +2 from the droid if it is working for a +9. This will be hard to stop.

You will notice that some Rebels have an SSN bonus. This is a bonus that applies only when conducting an attack on the weakness of the Moloch superweapon "cough" Death Star "cough".

Beta Team

Beta Team is led by a rogue Chapine Worker drone. She is a technical expert and practical joker. She is attended by a Ragnari bodyguard named Machumen. He worked for a seditious Rebel aristocrat and transferred his dim-witted loyalty to the Rebels. Bagul is known to have a modified Magnetic Pulsor that can cripple robots and damage equipment. We advise quick destruction. This team's purpose is unknown. Bagul is believed to possess a Sirius 7000 personal transport. Intelligence last believed they are on Ercoth in the Canis system in the Sakayama District.

I have to admit I am kind of confused on this one. Both of these characters seem like support characters. Not sure why my opponent paired them. Their ship is garbage. The poor computer makes longer-ranged hyperspace jumps less likely to succeed. This is the second worst starship in the game. Only real redeeming value is that it can pass as civilian.

Gamma Team

Gamma Team is led by Mas Edwards. This treasonous Avsari was exposed by the Emperor's son Mas Pantaleon when Edwards attempted to seize a seat on the Avsari High Council. He is currently under Avsari interdiction and should be considered highly dangerous. He travels with an Ignean by the name of Q'Q'Hn, a traitor who refused an order to eliminate a town harboring Rebel guerillas. He has a specially modified blaster pistol which he stole when he defected. They are believed to still be in possession of an Avsari Personal transport. This team was last sighted on the planet Aurora in the Lacaille system of the Karalamp District. Intelligence suspected they were searching for the Slaver's Cartel but this theory is no longer believed to be accurate.

Edwards can perform a lot of different missions due to his high stats and bonuses so he is versatile. Q'Q'Hn is less useful. He gets a bonus in a heat environment but his stats are not that impressive even when boosted. I am guessing he is on the team as combat support.The transport is one of the Rebels better ships.

Delta Team

Delta Team is led by the traitorous General T'Laniel, a Lakandi military strategist. He excelled in the Imperial Academy but he turned down a posting to serve in his home militia. He is known as a dangerous opponent and a skilled saboteur. Huat is believed to function as a bodyguard and support for the General. Selrach Ekud is a mercenary who turned to the Rebellion. He functions as their pilot and has access to bioenhancers to augment his abilities. They are believed to travel in a Sirius 7000.

Delta Team is believed to be on Gotica in the Ceti System in the Ellington District where Ekud is believed to be meeting with Legion officials.

T'laniel will almost certainly switch over to being a military commander once the war starts. Right now he is skilled at sabotage and his high rank gives him bonuses in other missions such as setting up rebel cells. Ekud would be great as an assassin if he ever acquires a rifle. I am sure if my opponent had gotten one he would have given it to him. His bonus for the Legion of Fortune is nice but is marginal. The Legion does not swing that far to either side and the benefits of the shift are small. It was a random roll that put him on the Legion homeworld.

Epsilon Team

Epsilon Team is led by a renegade Star Marine Jon Bernard. He was arrested after being unwilling to subdue treasonous civilians but was rescued by Rebel agents. His one love in life is the Rocket Launcher he liberated from the Imperial Military when he escaped which he named "Sally". He has the persona of a holovid star hero but his amiable exterior conceals the heart of a terrorist. Felicity Mahoney is the daughter of suspected smuggler Shanks Mahoney. She has an expertly disguised blockade runner that appears as a standard Chironese personal cruiser. The ship is well-armed, well shielded, and highly maneuverable. She has extensive contacts with factions all over the Empire and a knack for making money. We suspect she have revealed the location of the Free Traders Union to the Rebels.

They are suspected to be on Cots in the Sirius system of the Ellington District.

Barnard is a great assist on any mission. He has good scores in every stat and provides a +1 to any mission. Mahoney is good at making money and Persuading minor factions, particularly the Free Traders. I would fly her there right away and win them over as quickly as possible but we'll see. The Hawk of Chiron is the best starship in the game so far and the Rebels only got it because they started with Mahoney. With the right intel and a good pilot it can get in and out of almost anywhere. It also gets bonuses on attacking the weak point of the Moloch. It is basically the Millenium Falcon of this game.

Theta Team

Theta Team consists of another Avsari renegade that helped Mas Edwards escape Imperial Justice. She is a skilled pilot and Avsari warrior. She is travelling with Dr. Alex Weber, a student of the people, cultures, and environments of the Empire. His knowledge makes him highly dangerous. He is often ill and is accompanied by a medical known as Surgeon. They are believed to be using an Orbital Lighter with a hyperdrive crammed in.

They were last sighted on Elfond in the Procyon system in the Marat Sector.

An odd team, ideal for General Research. They are in the worst starship in the game. They have a good pilot so they might be able to fly around without a problem. Bulma has the ability to do an extra travel action which saves more steps for getting mission successes.

All these beings are dangerous to Imperial stability and must be neutralized. Again, forward reports of all sightings or suspected sightings to Imperial Intelligence.

Rebel characters are generally better then Imperial ones and have more gear as you can see (one per team). Many of their starships will have a hard time travelling far with their bad hyperspace computers but they have good pilots which will mitigate this.
________________________________________________________________________________

I had to place our character teams as well at the beginning of this session. All have to begin at a different District Capitol.

Alpha Team led by Mas Pantaleon is on Oisad in the Marat District.
Beta Team led by Colonel Brent Smith is on Chiron in the Karalamp District.
Gamma Team led by Marshall Totem is on Batres in the Armes District.
Delta Team led by Giovanelli is on Earth in the Central District.

Also, because the Rebels have Mahoney they know where the Free Traders Union is and it is randomly placed on Verperas in the Lacaille system in the Karalamp District. They are in the same system but not the same planet as the Slavers Cartel and the ComFed building. The system is the hub of economic activity.
________________________________________________________________________________

Well, setup is finally over. Tomorrow we plan to start on the real sequence of play and start Turn 1.

Xenocides fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 2, 2015

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Auroran police and military forces be alerted of unconfirmed reports of the renegade Asvari Master Edwards and his Ignean companion. If Master Edwards is apprehended, he is to be remanded to Imperial justice. As an Asvari Master Edwards is to be considered armed and extremely dangerous. Any information is to be forwarded to Imperial authorities for action on the Ducal level.

E: and it becomes clear that 'Mas' in Mas Pantaleon's name isn't a given name, but his title of address as an Asvari Master.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Aug 2, 2015

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Xenocides posted:

There is one problem with your plan and it is my fault. The Empire cannot build Corvettes. I did not put it in the list of spacecraft but the light ships available to the Empire consist only of Light Cruisers, Destroyers, and Sloops. I downgraded your 2nd Line unit on the space station to a Conscript and upped all 3 Corvettes to Destroyers. The price comes out the same. I like the setup.

Yet another problem detected. The difference in cost between Corvettes and Destroyers is 2, and downgrading a 2nd Line unit to a Conscript unit only recovers 3 RP. You could upgrade two of the Corvettes to Destroyers and downgrade one to a Sloop, though, and it would work.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Minor Factions

Imperial Classified Report - Not for Distribution

This report includes classified data on various factions in the Empire that may influence events in the expected rise of Rebel activity.

This will cover what the factions do and how far they can be swayed either way. Plus numbers are support of the Rebels and minus numbers are support of the Empire. If a faction ever reaches a support of 4 either way it fully commits to that side and cannot be influenced again. Some factions never commit.

The Adim Agnot Society

This is a mystical order of assassins. They believe that if a soul of sufficient strength is killed and the right rituals performed that their death will convey power to the assassin in the afterlife. While they will take contracts they are often slow to act on them as the victim must be killed in the appropriate time. They talk about seeing the "beauty of the work" and other mystical claptrap. All assassins are trained for months or years training for their first assignment. All attempts result in either the death of the assassin or the death of the target. If the assassin fails and lives they take their own life and the contract is null and void.

This organization is hated throughout the Empire and the Empire officially suppresses them with occasional arrests and convictions. Some of these are even authentic.

The Rebels do not know the location of the Keep but high-ranking Imperials do and sometimes contact them for assistance.

The Society will never commit to either side but leans Imperial. The range in the image is how far they can go either way. For every negative we have we can solicit one assassination. At -3 we can solicit 3 assassination missions. Assassination require a character team to visit the planet but while it takes time from whatever mission they are doing it does not take a whole turn. If their commitment goes to 0 we and the Rebels can have one assassin out and at +1 they can have a Rebel. There is a 1 in 10 chance to perform the assassination each turn (1 in 5 if team is detected). The odds of success are not particularly high but it can work. If the Rebels hire an assassin and an attack is made there is a 1/6th chance the people on the planet will find out and be disgusted by Rebel involvement and lean towards the Empire. The Rebels can also raid the Society if they can get troops on the planet and eliminate ours and know where it is. This suppresses the Order until it can build a new base a few turns later. If this happens we have bigger problems as that is a District Capitol.

The Avsari Order

The Avsari Order is an order of psychic plasma sword wielding monks dedicated to the preservation of the Empire. They are generally respected as guardians of justic and peace. They are trained in combat with their plasma swords and can even redirect blaster attacks with them. They are also trained in wisdom and are encouraged to pick up additional skills. Most initiates join at a young age. Our Crown Prince Mas Pantaleon is an Avsari master.

They focus heavily on philosophical training to go with the fighting abilities to prevent them from misusing them. For centuries they have been supporters of the Empire but there are rotten elements within it. The recent defection of many Avsari from the Order to the Rebels has caused a schism in the Order. Most remain loyal to the Empire but there are a disturbing number of Rebel sympathizers. It is difficult for Intelligence to determine the scale of their involvement as Avsar is by Imperial decree prohibited to all travelers unless accompanied by an Avsari Initiate and no military units may go to the planet.

The Emperor is considering preemptively shutting down the Avsari.

There is a misprint on the board. The Avsari can go from -3 to +4. They never commit to the Empire. If they join the Rebels they form the Avsari Legion in the image which is one of the most powerful ground units in the game. The organization starts with mild Rebel sympathies. Only character teams with Avsari may go to the planet. If it commits to the Rebels the planet loses neutrality and can be invaded and occupied by either side.

The Barbarians

The Minoplisians are a disgusting species of raiders. They have colonies beyond the Empire. They stole enough technology to become a starfaring species when a colony was established on Minoplisia. They are believed to have bribed their way to be allowed to become "honest merchants" on the planet of Dayan on the edge of the Empire. They eventually drove out the Imperial colony using veiled threats. Their ships and armies (named longships and hordes due to unflattering comparisons with raiders in earth history) obsolete and bulky but are effective.

Imperial diplomats have considered offering concessions to the Minoplosians to bring them into the conflict with the Rebellion but Dayan and affiliates of the planet will doubtless be incensed at giving the "rat-men" more leverage. We know the Rebels have sent out feelers as well. If the Rebels win them over we can expect a backlash of increased Imperial support for the same reasons.

This is one of the few factions that can commit to either side. Commitment cause a shift of support to the other side but you get 7 starships 1/4 and 3 Horde units 3/8 which act like line units but take two spaces. We may want them to shore up our defenses. Their units are not good but there are enough to maybe be worth it. The Rebels will probably not want them until the war shifts to a more conventional conflict. Bringing them in early would probably just give the Empire a chance for some target practice and they would be overwhelmed.

The Bounty Hunter's Guild

The Bounty Hunter's Guild is a licensed organization designed to hunt criminals. While a few bounty hunters have defected to the Rebels most are loyal to the system. We can post bounties on the Rebels. This will cost us as they bring in minor rebels of no real consequence but we do have the possibility of bagging high-ranking rebels. To increase their willingness to hunt we may want to send representatives to win them over along with a large supply of cash.

The higher the bounty Hunters commitment to our side the more likely they are to launch hunts. The more money we have in the purse the more likely they are to hunt as well. The bounty purse slowly drops to represent minor figures brought in. If they bring in someone big they want payment out of the purse based on target's rank. There is a Stellar Event (random event) that allows the Rebels to place bounties as well. The nice thing about bounties is that to put money in the purse does not require characters to visit. You just up the purse.

The Commerce Federation

Headquartered on Aurora the Commerce Federation is a consortium of the most powerful business interests in the Empire. The Rebels call them a cancer and have vowed to dissolve it. As it stands the Commerce Federation publicly supports the Empire but does little to actually follow through. If we win them over they may realize their existence is tied to Imperial stability and support us with resources and possibly military support.

The Commerce Federation can only come our way. For every +1 we get 1 RP every turn. If they fully commit we get 4 RP and they give us six converted sloops and an Android Legion, a decent ground unit. Worth bringing them over just for the RP really. It is mostly a question of when we have time to bring them in. If the planet goes into Rebellion we lose the income and the Rebel gets 10 RP.

The Free Traders

An organization of malcontents opposing the orderly Commerce Federation. They are anti-monopolist and make noise about economic inequality. Many are known to trade on the black markets and smuggle goods. They claim to see their criminal activities as a way to help themselves and the people of the Empire but they are really after only their own profit margins. They have been marginalized for a reason. Their HQ is unknown to us at this time. Although we believe no progress has been made there is concern this organization may side with the Rebels out of a misguided belief they would be better of under a different government.

Kind of the opposite of the Commerce Federation. Their HQ cannot be attacked by either side as it is not an official place, just a planet where important members often meet. The Rebels get 1/2 of their commitment level and a bonus to espionage missions equal to the faction's commitment to represent Free Trader help.

Hyper-Mafia

The Hyper-Mafia is a netword of organized crime spanning the Empire. Basically a senate of the most powerful crime lords. They use their HQ to resolve gang wars, set limits on zones of influence, and the like. The most powerful crime lord is Nikolai Grachenko and the Grachenko building where they meets is named after him. Thanks to information from Giovanelli, a loyal Imperial soldier groomed to serve as a liaison to the Hyper-Mafia, we know of its location but the Rebels do not. This organization can be of great help in terms of material support and assistance in matters of espionage but deals made with this group may erode popular support. Currently this group provides mild support for our cause figuring the Rebels will not be as tolerant as we are.

While it begins with a slight leaning towards the Empire it can go almost to commitment on either side but never actually commits. For every commitment towards your side you get a +1 to RP and a +1 bonus on Espionage missions. The downside is at game end the Rebels get points based on allegiance of all the minor factions (positive or negative). In all but this case that is a good thing. For the Hyper-Mafia it is applied in reverse so it is a bonus if it leans towards the Empire and a negative if it leans towards the Rebels.

The Legion of Fortune

A mercenary organization, it provides elite units for a price on one year contracts. They will not commit strongly to either side. They may provide a discount to a side they favor. All their units are well-trained and can be quickly deployed almost anywhere in the Empire. The loss of a unit tends to push up the price of future contracts.

You buy units for a year. Favor shifts if you lose a unit in combat. This faction usually does not become important until the war becomes more conventional. We may at some point need to buy the Legions just to keep them out of Rebel hands.

The Pirate Princes

The Pirate Princes are an alliance of pirate factions based at a secret location. Many of them claim to have been driven to piracy by Imperial oppression. This is clearly a false justification but the Rebels have used this to try to turn them in privateers and rehabilitate their image. If the Rebels win them over we can expect their proceeds to fill the coffers of the Rebellion and Pirate ships to support Rebel operations.

It may be worth consideration to locate the Pirate base and neutralize it before this can happen.

For every point of commitment the Rebels get 1/2 an RP. In addition in every space battle at the beginning they roll a d10 and if the number is equal to or less then their commitment a pirate ship appears in support. If they full commit the Pirate base can be used as a minor Rebel base at which the Rebels can build units and light starships. The Pirates will continue to defend it. If we attack and capture the Pirate base the faction moves to fully commit to the Rebels for VP purposes but ceases to provide pirate reinforcements but any survivors become regular Rebel units.

The Slaver's Cartel

Officially the Empire opposes this group but we use their services as needed. Public line is that the cartel is currently being dealt with and is a minor problem. In truth Imperial political prisoners are often liquidated here to provide funds. The various slaver organizations fought for years before forming a cartel to cut down on infighting. A secret concentration camp on Aurora in an underground bases houses hundreds of thousands of slaves. They provide support for the war effort in exchange for our clandestine ignoring of their activities.

This organization never commits but always provides us with income equal to double their commitment level. If the Rebels conquer Aurora then they get 10 RP from the freed slaves and the Faction ceases to exist except for VP scoring.

Whew, that took longer then I thought it would.

nweismuller posted:

Yet another problem detected. The difference in cost between Corvettes and Destroyers is 2, and downgrading a 2nd Line unit to a Conscript unit only recovers 3 RP. You could upgrade two of the Corvettes to Destroyers and downgrade one to a Sloop, though, and it would work.

Fixed.

Okay, starting first turn today so will finally get this show on the road.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Turn Sequence

Preliminary Stage

Stellar Events Phase

A Stellar Event Card is drawn. Some are good for the Empire, some for the Rebels, and some are more neutral. Some cards also activate Sovereign characters who rise to prominence. You also determine the Initiative to determine the Empire's alert status and who has the military initiative.

Resource and Builds Phase

We collect taxes from the current district and from secrets and minor faction support. The Rebels collect from minor faction support and tax their worlds (including their secret base) on turns the Central District is taxed. The Imperial pay upkeep. Units are built and RP may be converted into Stellar Credits (SC), the character scale currency, to assist with character missions. The Imperials can also assign bounty hunter money.

Missions Stage

Rebel Mission Phase

The Rebel assigns team and assigns SC to the teams. Characters can be left out of the mission to rest and will be fully healed at the end of the turn. Special Forces detachments that can perform missions are also assigned.

The Imperials can then search for any detected Rebel teams to try to find and attack them.

Each team in player choice order does the following:

The Rebel picks a team and assigns a mission. They roll for a Pre-Mission Random Event. The team may try to buy a new spaceship. They perform six action steps in which they can move, carry out field activities (progress on mission with possible random event) or perform extrinsic activities (things like healing, fixing equipment or spaceships, etc). Once all six are completed the team rolls to see if the mission succeeded. The team is flipped to Done side.

Once all teams do their mission they flip back from their Done side.

First Rebellion Phase

If Rebel forces appeared due to a rebellion where there are Imperial forces the Rebels may choose to engage them.

Imperial Missions Phase

Done exactly the same as Rebel Mission phase but switch sides.

Military Operations Stage

Whoever holds the Operational Initiative decides who moves first. That will (hopefully) be the Empire for some time.

First Player's Military Operations Phase

This player moves starships and ground units carried by transposts to any surface or orbit box on the same or a different planet. If you move from one star system to another you have to roll for your hyperjump. The opposing player may intercept any ships or transports moving through their area. If you move into an area containing enemy starships you will have to fight. Characters can also be shuttle to and from the surface and orbit boxes if they travelled with the military starships.

Space Combat Segment

Fight space battles. If any character is in the orbit box they may lead the force.

Surface Combat Segment

Transports may land on a planet and be escorted by light starships. Ground Combat occurs on all contested planets.

Second Player's Military Operations Phase

Same as above but sides are switched.

Final Stage

Concordance Allegiance Phase

If a planet in Rebellion has no Imperial Ground Units on it it joins the Concordance (the Rebel government). This is permanent. The populace of the planet now consider themselves part of the new government. The Empire can occupy the planet but never win it back so it cannot be taxed ever again and will give the Rebels VP at the end of the game (though less if occupied).

Second Rebellion Combat Phase

If a new rebellion has been sparked same as the first.

Repairs Phase

Units can be repaired at the cost of 0.5 RP per hit as long as they are on or in orbit around a controlled planet (no enemy forces on the ground). GDNs are automatically repaired at no cost if the planet is friendly controlled. The Rebels can also be repaired at their major secret base or any minor base they construct.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Turn 1 Stellar Events Phase

Stellar Times Lead Article

A crisis has developed on the planet Cedbia. A group of Endobell veterans have complained about pensions and risen up on the planet and sworn allegiance to this Rebel Concordance movement. Imperial officials are baffled as to where the pension money went. Critics of the Empire are already accusing it of graft. Imperial officials have denied the claim. The planet has been placed under martial law and the local army called up but military analysts suspect that local forces will be unable to deal with the situation. In addition they suspect that regular military line units would have difficulty facing the natives in such a hostile environment. The Imperial Viceroy is reported to have called the Duke of Karalamp for military support.

Imperial Analysis - For Military Personnel Only

The Rebellion on Endobell occurred due to graft committed by the Imperial Viceroy. He is being disciplined appropriately. There is no question that the forces on the planet have made contact with the Rebel Concordance. They have secured transports that would enable them to leave the planet and we expect the Rebels to encourage them to flee to their secret base. They must know that this unit will be unable to fend off the might of the Empire. The Stormtroopers of the Fighting First will be deployed to the planet to subdue the Rebel unit with the assistance of the Flying Guard conscript army and the light cruiser Intrepid will join with the customs sloop Picket there to attempt to intercept the unit should it attempt to leave the planet.

This is an interesting skirmish. Rebel units being on the planet pushes the tension up to 3 which allows up to 3 units to be deployed to the planet on the surface and in space (3 each). It also allows up to 1 of the units to be a capital ship and 1 to be an elite unit. The district does not have a capital ship to send but it does have a stormtrooper unit. The downside is that when we attack because over half their force is composed of Irregulars they get a bonus on surprise and can use that to get some lick in or, more likely, use the Irregulars ability to fade away and avoid combat. Then they will try to run the blockade and have a very good chance of succeeding (80% chance with two starships in orbit).

Also almost all Rebel units have an environmental preference and get a +1 to STR on their preferred planet type. This makes the Rebel unit have equal STR to the Stormtrooper unit but the Stormtrooper unit has higher END and can take more hits and will have the Conscript force supporting. I think I can get this unit but it is not a sure thing. If the Rebels drop in a leader to command the unit the situation changes but I doubt that will happen as it risks the death or capture of the character and if it does we just send one of ours.

Initiative

Initiative measures the overall threat to the Empire. All planets with positive unrest add that value to the Initiative. Every faction leaning towards the Rebels adds their value to the Initiative. A planet in Rebellion adds 7 and every planet that has joined the Concordance adds 8 if it has Imperial troops there and 10 if it does not. Right now there are 3 planets with a +1 and the Avsari Order also provides a +1 so the Initiative is 4.

While the Initiative is 1-100 the Empire is in Condition Green. All is fairly well and we always have the initiative.

If the Initiative reaches 101 then we roll for the initiative with it being more and more likely the Rebels will get it the higher it climbs. At this point we can train suicide bomber units (not officially of course, officially it is tragically misplaced idealism) and build the Moloch superweapon but not use its planet-busting ability. The Empire is in condition yellow which costs a small amount of upkeep but tension goes up by 1 everywhere.

If the Initiative reaches 201+ then the Rebels always have the initiative and we can use the Moloch to eliminate planets. Upkeep goes up slightly and tension increases by another 1 (to +2) everywhere.

Operational Decisions

Please share your opinion on each matter:

1) We have the option of converting RP into 1,000 Stellar Credits each but no more then 1/10th of what is left in the Resource reserve. Since there is no income on the first turn and we have 23 RP we can convert up to 2 RP assuming we buy no units (not planning on it). In all the games I played (all 2 of them) it is important to build up the Imperial RP reserve. RP tends to get VERY tight in the late game.

A) Get 1,000 Stellar Credits and give it to the Characters for help on Missions.
B) Get 2,000 Stellar Credits, put up Bounty money, and use the rest for character missions.

2) We have Mas Pantaleon ready to try to win over minor factions. He is on the Agni Agnot world now but can fly elsewhere.

A) Win over the Agni Agnot so we can max out the number of our assassination contracts and get discounts. Has the advantage of being most likely to succeed as no time will be spent moving. Note if we anything but A Mas Pantaleon will put out at least one contract before leaving the planet.
B) Head over to win over the Commerce Federation. This will provide some more RP and if we can fully commit them we get their forces.
C) Head over to win over the Slaver's Cartel. This provides the most short-term gain as we get double the RP value but no forces.
D) Head over to win over the Bounty Hunter's guild. This makes bounty attacks more likely.

3) We have one team ready for Espionage missions. What should we look for?

A) Begin a search for the Rebel's secret base. This is an all or nothing proposition and we will need to focus heavily on it. It requires 18 successes on Espionage missions. This must be done on a Concordance planet or a planet with Rebel Units. We have an opportunity to head for Cebdia and attempt Espionage now. The problem is it may take time before we get another opportunity to further the search.
B) Begin working on locating Pirate's Cove so we have the option of neutralizing the Pirates.
C) Focus on enemy teams. Head to a planet with a Rebel team and conduct Espionage to detect the team operating on the planet.

Vote by matching Number and letter. If you have alternate suggestions let me know.
Vote by picking numbers and letters.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Your Imperial Majesty,

The First Karalamp Stormtrooper Division has been dispatched to deal with the insurrection on Endobell. I am confident that they will swiftly crush the revolt with no requirement for any further support from your Majesty. That said, I must reiterate my request that we make assurances to the Commerce Federation regarding continued Imperial support to ensure the strength of the Empire into the future. I also request that your Imperial Majesty make every effortto identify and crush the primary base of operations of the pirates that plague our spacelanes- the flow of commerce between stars is the very lifeblood of the Stellar Empire, and the pirates are a continued plague upon operations. May your Imperial Majesty's glorious reign endure forever!

Grand Duke Oskar Karalamp

1B, 2B, 3B. And I'm pretty sure that Stormtroopers aren't environment-penalised, which means they'll still have a 1-STR advantage over the rebel irregulars, even with their environment bonus.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i'll vote for 1B, 2A, 3C, all calculated to up our chances of killing rebel characters early in the game. the superiority of their characters seems like an advantage that will only increase for them as the game goes on. mas pantalones pantaleon should head over to deal with the stuff on his starting planet first, but then we should grab as much RP from minor factions as possible with his next moves, assuming we don't need him to deal with something else that comes up.

it makes sense that the rebels would pull that free unit off-planet as soon as they can, so i'd rather not send our characters after a unit that only has to hit a few dice rolls to disappear beyond reach if i'm reading correctly. focus on our strengths, which are considerable

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 2, 2015

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Your Grace Duke Ellington,

Allow me my heartiest congratulations upon your Grace's ascension to the Ducal seat of Ellington. Your Grace now walks amongst the highest halls of power. In honor of your Grace's new position, please accept my gift of several bottles of the finest vintage Solarian wine from my own personal cellars. Drink them in good health.

I believe that cementing closer ties with the Commerce Federation would help ensure a continued stream of the luxuries and rewards of your Grace's high office, and stand willing to make the proper introductions. Perhaps your Grace will see fit to support me when the time comes to advocate for policies friendly to our generous sponsors in the Commerce Federation, and thereby help earn their continued gratitude.

Duke Oskar Karalamp

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

oystertoadfish posted:

i'll vote for 1B, 2A, 3C, all calculated to up our chances of killing rebel characters early in the game. the superiority of their characters seems like an advantage that will only increase for them as the game goes on. mas pantalones pantaleon should head over to deal with the stuff on his starting planet first, but then we should grab as much RP from minor factions as possible with his next moves, assuming we don't need him to deal with something else that comes up.

it makes sense that the rebels would pull that free unit off-planet as soon as they can, so i'd rather not send our characters after a unit that only has to hit a few dice rolls to disappear beyond reach if i'm reading correctly. focus on our strengths, which are considerable

The Acting Duke of Armed also agrees with his esteemed colleague, my lords and My Emperor. This rebellion is quite small and limited to only the crazed fanatics following a few charismatic individuals. We must cut off the heads of this snake. Like we have done much before.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

: Wait, Felicity Mahoney?
: Yes, Your Grace.
: I think I danced with her at a club, once. Is she hot? Let me see that wanted poster.
: I-
: Ohhh yeah, that's her. She beat me at poker, too. So she's a rebel, huh?
: It appears so, Your Grace.
: Bummer. I guess tell the conscripts over on Cots to go arrest her. And have the Second Line on Gotica clean up that other team.
: It may not be so simple, your Grace. In addition, the Grand Duke Karalamp sends his regards, and these bottles of-
: HOLY poo poo! That's like, THE best year of Solarian EVER!
: I fear the Grand Duke may not be entirely magnanimous, it appears he may expect political support in exch-
: Yeah, yeah, tell him whatever he wants man, this is AWESOME! I have got to try this RIGHT NOW! Call up my crew, would you? It's SOLARIAN PARTY TIME, WOO!!
: There is also the matter of the Imperial strategy to attend to, Your Grace.
: Right... OH! I've got it! Grab that dart board.

To His Imperial Majesty
The Duke Ellington, after careful deliberation and consideration of all the factors at hand, has decided to support the following strategy:
1B, 2A, 3C
Sincerely,
Winston J. Ainsworth
District Undersecretary

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Private journal of Oskar Karalamp

It is clear that the Grand Duke Ellington is not only a fool, but one so disconnected from the administration of his own district that he is impossible to build understandings with. The Grand Duke Marat and the acting Duke Armes may have chosen to make overtures to that disgusting cult, but I suspect that perhaps future efforts may win them over to support the strength and dignity of the Stellar Empire and the wealth available through control of her commerce. More on this later- for now my efforts must be focused on serving my Emperor in cleaning up the mess of that foolish Imperial Viceroy. A shameful blemish on our Empire, but I am confident in the strength and discipline of the Fighting First. I hope to report that the situation on Cedbia is resolved, and hope to see a fresh Viceroy installed in that office. The old one should face the firing line for his failure!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I want in. Where do we need me?

E: I'm available for birthday parties, bah mitzvahs, DJing and horrific space pogroms.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 4, 2015

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Pvt.Scott posted:

I want in. Where do we need me?

E: I'm available for birthday parties, bah mitzvahs, DJing and horrific space pogroms.

The Grand Duke Sakayama is still available. Alternately, you could pick up a planetary representation position. Being the dictator of Nessus would let you sit atop the Moloch project, which might be amusing.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Moloch is tempting, but there's no guarantee that we'll build the stupid boondoggle. Sakayama it is.

E: 1A,2B,3A

While rebellion is a frightening possibility, let's not panic and start paying assassins to shoot shadows for us. So far we know of a few rabble rousers and some understandably angry veterans. If we come down hard now, we'll just drive them underground. If we let them go about their business for now, they will leave evidence for us to gather and give us ample opportunities to plant double agents. Let them become brash and foolhardy. A confident foe is much easier to find.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Aug 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
You also get to name the Stormtrooper division and heavy cruiser on Lai, if you want.

• Locked thread