Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

nweismuller posted:

Double-tax on both capitals and non-capitals at -3. Provide tax relief for Nessus.

Yep, I agree. Let's do the heavy taxes early on so that we don't have to in a crisis later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Double tax on all -3 worlds

Do it now, you never know if the money earned might not be in most dire need. And great thread btw, I am so following this. Absurdlly complex.

I can see this is also available as a Print´n´Play Variant? Is that even close to feasible?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Mr.Misfit posted:

I can see this is also available as a Print´n´Play Variant? Is that even close to feasible?

I bought it with the VASSAL module and it is definitely doable. It is no more complex then most print and plays. You just have to figure out how you want to make the cards, counters, and boards. I rarely bother with print and play outside of online. I have friends I play games with but when I want to play more wargamey games I prefer electronic because most of my close friends aren't interested and you don't have to leave a game set up for days to weeks to months.

When I used to play World in Flames back in college we had a whole room dedicated to it.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Turn 2

Stellar Events Phase

We get the card allowing us to resurrect a dead Imperial character.

Initiative drops from 4 to 3 due to our bringing one world out of positive unrest.

Resource and Builds Phase

Imperials

Sakayama District is taxed this turn.

Lai is double-taxed and goes to -2. Ercoth and Einstein are exempted from taxation to push them from 0 to -1.

Revenue from taxation:

Lai: 21
Pindi: 6
Draconis II: 5
Draconis III: 15
Einstein: 0
Mir: 10.5
Vulcan: 2.5
Neogea: 13
Total: 73

From Minor Factions:

Slavers: 4
Hyper-Mafia: 2
Total: 6

From Secrets:

Area 551: 2
Crystalloid Plague: 1
Rare Gems: 4
Rare Metals: 5
Total: 12

Grand Total: 91

We pay 2.5 in upkeep for 5 Stormtrooper Legions so left with 88.5 gained added to our 19 for 107.5 total.

Other then Conscripts we can only build at Lai, the current District Capitol and at Earth and you cannot build more units at a location then its Environmental size (8 on Lai, 15 on Earth)

Expenses:

Conscripts: Conscripts are drafted on Marlowe, Menzel, Xibalba, Draconis II, Draconis III, and Lakandon. Total cost is 6 RP.

GDN: All GDN systems in Sakayama are upgraded 1 level (the maximum you can do in a turn) and those without get a level 0. It is 28 to upgrade existing GDN systems and 2 to add them to planets that did not have them. Earth will also be upgraded 1 level for another 4. Total of 34.

Lai:
1 1st Line Unit
2 2nd Line Units
1 Sloop
1 Destroyer
21 RP

Earth
1 Light Cruiser
1 Destroyers
1 1st Line Unit
2 2nd Line Units
25 RP

Total Cost of 86 RP

I spent more then I like but GDN systems take forever to upgrade since you can only do one level per taxation and only in the district so it is 6 turns before we get another opportunity. I anticipate troop costs to drop in the short term. I had to spend quite a bit to get the reserves on Earth rebuilt and get new units for Lai. As the game continues units being recalled from trouble spots will mean the District Capitols need less in terms of troops all the time. Once the war begins of course all bets are off. I was tempted to invest more in sloops for interdiction but they aren't that useful in a real battle an I think it is better to invest in bigger light ships that can provide fighters and more firepower.

107.5 - 86 = 21.5 RP left over.

3 RP (limit as you can only spend 10% of what is left rounded up) is spent to buy $3000 for the Imperial purse for character use. This leaves us with 17.5 RP.

We lose $100 from the Bounty Hunter fund and spend $1000 to push it back to 1900. Sadly this means same factor as last turn as every even thousand gives you a bonus but next turn we can push it into the 2000s. The characters have $2,353 for mission use.

Rebels

The Rebels only tax on turns the Central District is taxed and they do not have any RP coming in from minor factions or captured secrets so no income so they have the 9 RP they started with. They spend no money and convert 1 RP into $1000 leaving them with $2700 for missions and 8 RP in their reserve.

Next time the Rebels move out for missions again.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Xenocides posted:

Turn 2
Lai:
1 1st Line Unit
2 2nd Line Units
1 Sloop
1 Destroyer

1st Line: Jar Jar's Finest
2nd Line #1: Judean People's Front
2nd Line #2: People's Front of Judea
Sloop: Liir Super Heavy
Destroyer: Dedicated Hunter

If the 2nd line names are too long, Kermit's Commandos and The Man-Things are acceptable, as are Ashigaru and Gouf's Grunts.
I'm trying to keep a nice mix of anime, sci-fi, video game and other references, while sticking very loosely to an aquatic and eastern theme. If you hate anything, feel free to veto.

Her ladyship, Duchess Tookool, would like to thank the Emperor and his servants for another well executed tax collection within her Duchy. She has sent a gift basket of rare shrimps and delicate, yet pungent seaweeds to the head of the Imperial Finance Bureau as a token of her appreciation.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 10, 2015

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Pvt.Scott posted:

1st Line: Jar Jar's Finest
2nd Line #1: Judean People's Front
2nd Line #2: People's Front of Judea
Sloop: Liir Super Heavy
Destroyer: Dedicated Hunter

If the 2nd line names are too long, Kermit's Commandos and The Man-Things are acceptable, as are Ashigaru and Gouf's Grunts.
I'm trying to keep a nice mix of anime, sci-fi, video game and other references, while sticking very loosely to an aquatic and eastern theme. If you hate anything, feel free to veto.

Her ladyship, Duchess Tookool, would like to thank the Emperor and his servants for another well executed tax collection within her Duchy. She has sent a gift basket of rare shrimps and delicate, yet pungent seaweeds to the head of the Imperial Finance Bureau as a token of her appreciation.

I shortened a few names with abbreviations but should be able to still tell what they are.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Turn 2 Rebel Missions Phase

The Rebels assign their teams and assign money. The teams remain the same and each team is given $300 leaving $900 in their reserve. Each organic hero that has hits (but less then half their total taken) heals one point. That heals all but Bagul and Machumen back to full health and they only have 1 hit each.

I expect he will soon start upgrading his team's ships. The Orbital Lighter for example is a deathtrap.

Imperial Search

We conduct a search for all detected teams.

Alpha Team

Alpha Team found the secret stockyard of supplies making up the Graveyard. The Raging Rhinos 1st Line unit, a 2nd Line unit, and some Conscripts search for them. Out total search STR is 6 and their concealment is an INT of 3 + 8 for environmental size - 4 for size of team so 7. We need a 2 or less on a D10. D10 = 4.

We do not find them.

Beta Team

Beta Team is on Ercoth and we have only 1 Conscript there but Colonel Smith leads them and adds +5. Our Beta Team is also there so we can add the INT of the highest character in the team (Troyer at 4). So we have 10 searching for their 5 + 2 - 2 = 5.

Need a 4 or less on a d10. d10 = 7. The team is not found.

Gamma Team

Gamma Team is on Halen and is also being hunted by a Conscript group for 1 but is commanded by Marshall Totem with a COM of 8 (why the Emperor calls him his right hand) and Stargazer adds another + 4 for 13. They have 4 + 4 - 3 for 5.

Need a 4 or less again. d10 = 8

Theta Team

Our last shot is Theta Team on Elfond. We have the Vielle Garde (1st Line) and the Poissons Poilue (Conscript) for a total of 4. They have 5 + 6 - 3 = 8.

We need a 1 on 1d10. 1d10 = 10. Nothing.

Well, that didn't go well. Odds are low of a contact but I figured I would get at least one.

Alpha Team

Alpha Team is assigned to perform an Espionage mission on Mars to discover our secret there. Mon Unidte is Mission Leader and they have $300.

Probably smart to hit there early. Fortunately there is nothing actually there. It is a dummy secret.

Pretty short hop through hyperspace too.

Preliminary Action Step

Didi blows a fuse.

Systems failing.......

I will try to fix him on the way there. Hold on Didi. We have to get off this planet.

Rolled that a randomly selected character gets grievous wounds (1 short of death) and rolled the Droid sadly. Grievously wounded characters have to drop out of the mission on the next Action step so unless they fix the droid quickly it is out of the mission.

1st Action Step

Tension is 4 on Marlowe so all defenses and ships are on alert. The team boards the Auroran freighter to escape. Ship's MNV is 1 modified to 4. We need a 5 or or less with a -3 to catch the ship (from being detected and the GDN bonus) with the GDN so need an 8 or less. d10 = 2. They try to bluff their way as a civilian ship but due to high state of alert need to roll a 5 or more. d6 = 6.

No, I don't have a launch permit. I am on a secret mission for the Emperor himself. See my Avsari sword.....would I lie?

STUPID GULLIBLE GDN OPERATORS!!!!! SHOOT THEM!!!!

The Gambit and the Porter in orbit attempt to track the ship. They have the same roll but with a +3 added due to only having 2 ships. So need a 5 or less. d10 = 6.

I'M SURROUNDED BY ASSHOLES!!!!

The team loses detected status and the ship easily makes the jump to Mars. Enroute crew can attempt repairs. Undite has an INT of 3 and needs to roll that or less on a d10 to make repairs. She decides to spend $15 on spare parts to get a +3 ($5 each and that is the maximum). She rolls a 4 and repairs 4 hits. The droid is fully functional.

Best way to spend a long boring hyperspace trip.....

There are no ships in orbit around Mars. Tension on Mars is 2 (1 for being in same system as Capitol and 1 for being in Capitol District). We need a 5 or less. d10 = 9. The ship lands covertly.

FASC 0

2nd Action Step

A customs official notices some irregularities in the ship's papers but is quickly mollified by a $30 bribe.

Could we buy the Empire's surrender?

FASC 1

3rd Action Step

A more diligent customs official spots the ship's registry irregularities and moves to arrest the team but they moved the ship to a more secure location. Noting that it matches a suspicious ship that just left Marlowe an alert is posted that Rebels are likely on planet along with the suspected team composition. The first customs official is arrested while enjoying a $30 steak dinner and is turned over to Colonel Chang to find out if he harbors Rebel sympathies. I hope the meal was worth it.

Team is detected.

FASC 2

4th Action Step

An extensive search to find the Rebels and their ship is launched. Need a 2 or less on d10. d10 = 10.

FASC 3

5th Action Step

Chan is recognized by a fan of martial arts. The obese man in a fedora wearing a katana offers him $38 for an autograph. He takes it.

What has the Empire done to these people to destroy them to the point that they will do that with their life?

FASC 4

6th Action Step

While exploring the hinterlands the team is ambushed by Brigands who roam the countryside.

These are the planet's monster encounter.

1d6 = 5 attack.

They actually have a STR of 2 and END of 2 instead of the 2/4 shown but I could not find any Brigand counters. Didi is screened and the rest of the team is hit by two attackers each except Undite who only draws 1. Both sides are surprised by the encounter so while no one suffers penalties we still cannot try to run in the first round.

Scales takes 3 hits from blaster fire before he gets his plasma sword ready and only wounds 1 attacker with 1 hit. Undite takes 2 hits and only does 1 hit to one attacker. Chan dodges both attacks but is unable to hit the enemy back.

The dice were cruel to the Rebels. Odds are Undite and Scales should have killed one each and only been hit for 1 each but their opponents were rolling 2s and 3s on 2d6.

Scales is 1 hit away from wounded status (half down) and the enemy switches targets around. The Rebels announce a withdrawal for next round.

Scales takes 1 more hit and takes a hit of 1 to most of his attributes and splits his attacks. He kills the Brigand with 1 hit and wounds the other with 1 hit. Undite takes 2 more hits but in a display of Avsari swordsmanship decapitates both attackers. Chan narrowly dodges an attack with his high AGI and hits his attacker for 1 hit. The team then uses the confusion of the high number of casualties to escape in the confusion.

Both Scales and Undite took 4 hits. Scales takes a hit to his skills and Undite will with 1 more hit.

Ouch.......what did Master Edwards say?

The Avsari Weirding will be with you.....always......

Yeah.....no help there.

FASC 5

Final Step

FASC 5 doubled to 10 + 1 for Undite's INT +3 for Undite's ability + 3 for Chan's ability + 2 for $200 in bribe money = 19. D20 = 19.

I was prepared to gently mock my opponent for wasting bribe money when the roll was so likely to succeed but turns out it was a good thing.

The Dummy counter is flipped and discarded.

The rumors were false. There is no Imperial secret located here. Doubtless this was part of a trap. Now we need to get off of Mars.

Beta Team

Beta Team is ordered to perform a Propaganda & Diplomacy mission on Lindeso. Bagul is team leader.

This is Machumen's home so they get a bonus and it is an Underground world so Bagul gets a +1 to most attributes.

Preliminary Action Step

New Hope has sent another team member to join the group.

Hi team, let's get to spreading the word of the Concordance's good will to all.

Every other team gets Avsari Plasma swords.

The Canon is not that good stats-wise. His STR is as low as you can get without being unable to attack at all and only CHA stands out and then not by much. The big stat boosts are on the back. He is nobility on every Travisian world giving a +2 on Propaganda missions on all of them and a +1 on coup missions on all of them.

1st Action Step

The team boards their ship and blasts off. The GDN is lvl 2 and the team is detected. Tension is 3 due to this district being active. The GDN needs a 6 or less and gets a -2 for the team being detected and a -2 for the lvl 2 GDN. Tracking is automatic but Bagul can try to convince them this is a harmless civilian ship needing a 4 or more.

(in best Russian accent) No...no....you is looking for other ship in next door docking bay. Easy to being confused. Here is telemetry to shoot down.

d6 = 4.

Isn't that unethical?

No, the people next door have a "My other ship is a battlestar" bumper sticker. They deserve whatever happens to them.

The sloop in orbit tries to intercept and needs a 6 or less with a +2 modifier. d10 = 3

Told GDN fellow. Target is ship behind us.

d6 = 4 again. "Thank you good citizen. We are moving to intercept.

I am never going to get to shoot at a character starship. :(

The ships blows its hyperspace jump and gets lost. Ship is 6 distance units from Lindeso.

FASC 0

2nd Action Step

Another hyperjump is plotted to get to Lindeso and Bagul using the crap computer on his ship biffs it again.

What is wrong with this thing.

The ship enters a freak wormhole torn open by hitting a hyperspace shadow.

The ship finds itself lost near Pindi and the ship takes 1 hit of damage.

Best ride EVER!

FASC 0

3rd Action Step

Another hyperspace jump is plotted and the ship arrives at Lindeso. The Sloop misses them and the GDN picks them up but tension is low and they talk their way out of trouble. The team has finally arrived.

FASC 0

4th Action Step

Imperial Intelligence has their annual picnic. If the team was detected they would have lost that status.

FASC 1

5th Action Step

The team finds important dignitaries. No random event next round, just advance FASC.

FASC 2

6th Action Step

FASC 3

Final Step

FASC 3 doubled to 6 + 1 for Bagul's CHA + 1 for Machumen being native -2 for current unrest + 2 for $200 in bribes = 8. d20 = 4

My people....the Empire is oppressing you. Rise up and.....ummm.....line.....

Mission is successful and Lindeso goes to -1 unrest.

For a mission that went so horribly they did well.

We only got through the first two missions. We hope to finish Rebel missions tomorrow.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Your Imperial Majesty,
Doubtless you may have heard by now, but I wish to assure you that I am currently doing all that I can to ensure the Rebel scum on Your Jewel of Mars are found and dealt with in the manner proper to all anarchists. In addition, I wish to explicate something of what I have learned so far from my newest guest. The man, a customs man who took a laughable bribe to look the other way, is no Rebel sympathizer. But therein lies the problem. He is no friend to the Rebellion but he, as so many men besides him, have grown lazy under Your Peace. You gave them a gift, and they have squandered it. In their ingratitude to You they have forgotten the miseries of history, the awful horrors that stalked the galaxy before the accession of Your Illustrious Ancestor to the throne. I have seen it in so many places - the officials and officers who should be Your most dutiful servants have lost their fire, their resolve. This Martian official, who even now weeps as he praises Your Justice, will be set in the punishment sphere until he finds what his fathers had that he lacks.

If men are to relearn the necessity of peace, they must first be taught to fear war, and all its attendant ills. Your Eminence, I shall do everything in my power to teach them. Just recently I came across a proposal, theoretical of course, in the Terran Journal of Physics, concerning the upper energy limits of conventional focused beam weapons, and the possibility of changing the age-old method in order to reach energy potentials undreamed of. It could have some important applications, if the best minds of the Empire are brought to bear on it.
Your Obedient Servant
Colonel Lao Chang

I say we aim for the Death Star Moloch! Death to all traitors and all who harbor them!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I'm guessing 30 Spacebux is worth more than a meal, unless you want to tell me that setting up the basic infrastructure for a planetwide defense system costs a couple thousand bux.

The RP to money exchange seems weird.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Pvt.Scott posted:

I'm guessing 30 Spacebux is worth more than a meal, unless you want to tell me that setting up the basic infrastructure for a planetwide defense system costs a couple thousand bux.

The RP to money exchange seems weird.

It is and the designer admits it. $1000 is not the equivalent of 1 RP. A lot of it is lost in the conversion. Maybe see it as funding a bunch of other agents as well who do not appear in the game?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Xenocides posted:

It is and the designer admits it. $1000 is not the equivalent of 1 RP. A lot of it is lost in the conversion. Maybe see it as funding a bunch of other agents as well who do not appear in the game?

I'd say that a lot gets lost in slush funds, money laundering, and general intelligence community shenanigans.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
And the rebels continue their work at avoiding your attempts at stopping them, excellent. After all, if they didn't have some success, where would be the fun in dealing with them later?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

grandalt posted:

And the rebels continue their work at avoiding your attempts at stopping them, excellent. After all, if they didn't have some success, where would be the fun in dealing with them later?

I think they are having enough success. I did not think I would take anyone out but maiming a few of them would slow down their missions while they heal.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.
This thread seems pretty cool. I will take command of the largest fleet/warship available so that I might smite the rebel scum foolish enough to oppose our glorious Emperor!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I think someone already took control of our biggest ship, but there is always need to oppose the Terrorist Scum in the Empire :911:

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Excerpts from IEN, Imperial Entertainment and News

"...recent reports suggest that the missing money for the Endobell veterans was in fact not missing at all. Paperwork has come to light showing that these sums were in fact paid in full, including to some veterans who were in fact deceased for some time. witnesses have testified that some of the rebel leaders had heavy gambling debts, and were in danger of losing their houses to it. Upon their escape, these 'veterans' made off with large amounts of money. The Imperial Spokesman has said that state's resources will be brought to bear to assist the stricken Cedbia, with government investigators alert for any more traces of corruption."

"I think the lesson here is clear. The Emperor and the administration do what they can. But people are not watchful enough. Criminals walk amongst us and nobody looks up. We are all Imperial citizens, and we all have to do our part. And sometimes that means finding some leeching veterans and putting a stop to it. I respect our men and women in uniform, but these people soiled it, and I'm sure our troops will be eager to have a good talk with them about it once they find them."

"I'm not sure that's needed. Let them sit on some abandoned world and go crazy and eat each other. We've lost enough money on them. Our military should be greater, so we can properly deal with those barbarians on the border..."

"And we have more pictographs from the coronation festivities at Artord. Including pictures of the young new Duke, his Grace, Samolety Ellington in his dashing new clothes."

"Making quite the impression there. The Duke has been seen dancing with at least a dozen eligible ladies. His Grace already working on making the succession sure, looking for his true love. i'm sure this noble heartthrob is figuring in many a girl's dreams tonight."

"But competition is fierce. Look at all those dresses. That is original Dalkar fur on Baroness Gelala's coat there."

"But festivities are not limited to the higher ups. The whole capital city is turned into a place of celebration. The new Duke showing us that when life feels like it's getting you down, you just gotta relax, trust the Emperor has a plan, party on and not to worry."

"And I tell you, faithful. Our Prophet tried to bring purity to the world, but even he learned that such is not the way. You do not spread Purity by rubbing it over the filth. You maintain it by seclusion. When the Prophet was in the Empire, it led to strife and suffering. When we Travisians keep to outselves, we are capable of the greatest things, all the while staying true to our principles. Yes, there are those who have the virtue to go into the world, I'd never say Nana Summer could be corrupted, but not everyone is Nana Summer. I fear for the souls of young, naive Travisians who go out there in a world filled with Cyborgs, assassins, corrupted Avsani, to be led astray from the path and twisted into sin, crime and rebellion. The Empire is due our Taxes and our obedience. Otherwise, we have nothing to do with the rest of the Empire and the sinful and corrupt who make it their home. To deal with them is the Emperor's duty, and I do not envy him. Our best way to assist him, and to follow the will of the prophet is to maintain our purity and our isolation."

"The Asvani order is a valuable part of the Imperium. His grace the Crown Prince is among them."

"They always have been, but they are out of control. Have you heard the reports? An Avsari monk gathered large amounts of money for an 'Avsari orphans fund' on Elfond?"

"Hah, well, a lot of Ragnari on that planet. Not surprised they made a lot of money there."

"Hahah, all right. But what is the Asvani council doing about this? If the Prince was chosen, he'd put an end to people like this. I just hope the Emperor considers whether he wants to let the Asvani order keep all their privileges if they're not pulling their weight in these times."

"I think we should have faith in them, and the Emperor. I'm sure the Order is just working on getting to these people."

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Shogeton posted:

Excerpts from IEN, Imperial Entertainment and News

Nice...thanks.

Gnooble posted:

This thread seems pretty cool. I will take command of the largest fleet/warship available so that I might smite the rebel scum foolish enough to oppose our glorious Emperor!

Someone got our battlestar leaving us with nothing bigger then a heavy cruiser. In time we will of course build bigger ships.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Turn 2 Rebel Missions Continued
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Gamma Team

Gamma Team is given $300 and assigned a mission to plant a Rebel cell on the planet Solaria. Mas Edwards is Mission leader.

I guess it is the target as it is a motherworld.

Preliminary Action Step

Rolled Sovereign recalled, no effect.

1st Action Step

Edwards attempts to repair the ship from the malfunction suffered last turn and succeeds. The ship is good to go.

FASC 0

2nd Action Step

The ship leaves Halen and is detected by the GDN but the tension is only 1 and no attacks are allowed so the ship leaves and jumps to Solaria. Detected status is lost.

The sloop detects the ship on the way in and, while it cannot find anything definitive, is suspicious of this Avsari transport. They detected the ship but tension is too low to fire on it but their being detected forces up the tension. The GDN catches the ship on the way in due to the report of the sloop and finds irregularities. The GDN commander correlates the data and orders the ship to heave to and prepare to be boarded. When the ship does not respond and continues the GDN receive permission to open fire. Several missiles are launched.

I got this....

Master, why do you get shot at so much?

One missile detonates near the ship and it takes minor damage (1 hit) and the ship heads to a less-populated area of the planet for a covert landing.

FASC 0

3rd Action Step

The team begins their search for resistance groups.

The Imperials begin searching for the missing Rebel team and line units from the Fist attempt to find the team. Need a 1 on a d10. d10 = 1

The team is located. 3 soldiers from a line team find the group. Neither side is surprised. The team will attempt to flee.

Each soldier attacks one member of the team.

The soldier attacking Duke the battle dog gets lucky and scores 3 hits, wounding the dog. Edwards avoids his attack and Q'Q'Hn takes 1 hit.

Duke deals 2 hits, Edwards kills his opponent, and Q'Q'Hn hits for 1 hit.

The team escapes but Duke is wounded and his stats go down.

FASC 1

4th Action Step

Another search is launched. Again they need a 1. 1d10 = 1

My opponent insists I have now used up all my luck.

1 Line soldier finds the team.

And then I insist my luck is worthless. :(

Duke is put on the back row to avoid getting attacked.

The Line soldier decides to attack Edwards and fails to hit anyone. Edwards deals 3 hits and Q'Q'Hn deals 1 hit with his blaster pistol and the soldier is defeated.

FASC 2

5th Action Step

The team is informed by a Rebel informant that bounty hunters have been sighted on the planet. They can ignore all bounty hunter events for the rest of the mission.

FASC 3

6th Action Step

The team visits a bar and Duke orders a strawberry daiquiri. A drunken bar patron questions why a talking dog would order such a girly drink

Perhaps a quick castration will help you see the light.

Unfortunately the man has friends and 10 angry civilians jump the team.

Duke takes the back row as a couple of lucky hits now could kill him. 5 civilians each attack the other 2. They are required to put at least 1 STR on each attacker. Edwards puts 1 each on 4 of them and 3 on the other. Q'Q'Hn has 5 with his blaster pistol and must put 1 STR on each. The team will attempt to run next turn.

Edwards lowers their STR to 0 with his plasma sword and takes no hits. He kills 1 opponent, hits 2 others for 1 STR each, and misses the other 2. Q'Q'Hn also dodges all attacks against the odds. Q'Q'Hn kills 1 and inflicts 1 hit each on 3 others and misses the last 1.

They attempt to disengage and Duke escapes but the other 2 are pinned down and must continue the fight. They will try again next round.

The civilians redeploy and all the wounded ones now have a STR of 0.

The Civilians miss Edwards and he kills 2 of the wounded. Q'Q'Hn takes 1 hit and kills 2 as well.

The team again fails to escape.

Needed a 1 through 9 on a d10 and rolled a 10

Edwards avoids taking damage and kills 1 and gives 1 hit to another. Q'Q'Hn takes 1 more hit and goes to 3 hits and deals 1 hit each to his attackers.

The team finally escapes.

We should probably set rules as to when your dog is allowed to speak.

FASC 4

Final Step

FASC 4 doubled to 8 + 2 for Edwards RNK - 1 for planet's unrest + 1 for planet's size + 3 for $300 in Bribe money = 13. D20 = 1 for 2 successes. 2 sleeper cells are placed on the planet.

Everything on this planet seems to want to kill us.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Delta Team

Delta Team is heading for Ganymede in the Sol system to try to set up a Rebel cell. Tlaniel is Mission leader with $300.

Not sure if I would do this. Ekud is a native of Ganymede which gives a bonus but I am doubtful about the utility of cells here. We'll see.

Preliminary Action Step

A new character joins the team.

I will win Barnard's heart if I have to win this entire war alone.

She has bonuses on Lakandon as her home planet and is nobility which just got 3 rebel cells last turn. I expect she will be used on Propaganda and Diplomacy missions. Lakandon may be the first world to hit Rebellion. She does fill up the transport. They may want to split the team or buy a new ship soon.

1st Action Step

The team leaves Lakandon and the GDN does not detect them. They successfully make the jump to Ganymede and the GDN operator clears them without comment.

FASC 0

2nd Action Step

The team moves to find Rebel sympathizers and quickly contacts a local anti-Imperial group. This speeds their mission and they can repeat the action step.

FASC 1

2nd Action Step Mark 2

A local recognizes Illian from a royal ceremony he saw on the vid and goes to his fansite to find she is wanted. He contacts the Imperials asking for a reward.

Team is detected.

FASC 2

3rd Action Step

While out in the street a civilian overhears anti-Imperial talk and decides to teach these tourists a lesson. He grabs a few buddies to knock them around a bit. 9 civilians attack.

The civilians surprise the team and get the drop on them in the first found. +1 STR to civilians and -1 to the team.

3 attack Tlaniel and 2 attack each of the other team members.

Tlaniel takes 2 hits but dodges 1 and gives none in return. Huat takes 2 hits but uses his cyborg strenth to wound both his attackers with 1 hit each. Ekud takes 1 hit and deals 1 hit each to his 2 attackers. Ilian takes 1 hit but dodges it and inflicts no hits.

The team attempts a less likely to succeed hasty retreat but makes the die roll and runs and escapes these zealous Imperial citizens. All later received medals when they tell of their bravery and alert the Imperials.

FASC 3

4th Action Step

An enemy patrol from the ISSP (conscripts) of 6 men acting on intel from the civilians in the last encounter.

The conscripts are surprised and take a -1 to STR. The Rebels get a +1. The Rebels will attempt to flee.

Tlaniel is not hit and hits an attacker for 1 hit. Huat takes 1 hit and kills one of his attackers. Ekud is not hit and kills his attacker. Illian is hit but dodges it and deal a hit to her attacker.

The team escapes.

Aren't we supposed to be making friends here?

FASC 4

5th Action Step

With the word out of the Rebel team another group of 9 loyal Imperial citizens feel it is their duty to attack the team.

Neither side is surprised. The Rebels will try to withdraw again.

Tlaniel takes 1 hit and gives 1 hit to each of his attackers. Huat takes 1 hit and does 1 hit to each of his attackers. Ekud takes 1 hit and deals 1 hit each to 2 of his attackers. Illian avoids all hits but also gives none.

The team escapes.

Perhaps we should just avoid people altogether?

The mission is going well but I would prefer it if no one tried to shoot us or beat us with clubs from here on out.

FASC 5

6th Action Step

The team decides to hide in some caverns before meeting with possible Rebel supporters.

They are stalked buy an eight-legged underground salamander. It is almost blind in the dark of the caves but it can warp time and make it slower for itself and attack with breathtaking speed. It automatically gets surprise and all attacks against it are half strength due to its speed.

It has 3 STR with surprise and splits it between Tlaniel, Huat, and Ekud. It hits Tlaniel and Ekud for 1 hit each.

Everyone but Ekud misses. Ekud uses his extensive combat training to draw a bead and deals 2 hits.

The team tries to flee but fails. The creature misses and only has one attack due to its wounds and then Huat and Ekud hit it for 1 hit each and the creature dies. Huat and Ekud are both 1 hit from wounded status which will drop their STR.

I only carry so much blaster ammo.

I think this planet is telling us to leave and never come back.

FASC 6

Final Step

FASC 6 doubled to 12 + 4 for Tlaniel's RNK - 2 for planet's unrest + 3 for $300 in bribes = 17. d20 = 12

One sleeper cell is placed on Ganymede.

Epsilon Team

Epsilon Team is ordered to remain on Vesperas and convince the Free Trader's Union to support the Rebel Concordance with Mahoney as Team Leader with $300.

If you can avoid screwing it up this time that would be great.

Preliminary Action Step

The team arrives early and get an extra action step in the Preliminary step.

Intelligence on the planet takes the day off to attend a strip club. If the team was detected they would lose that status.

FASC 1

1st Action Step

Monsters are slacking off. Ignore all monster encounters.

If the meatbags of this planet continue to do nothing this will be a dull mission.

FASC 2

2nd Action Step

Barnard falls on the ice coating this planet and takes 2 hits.

I can't take you anywhere can I?

FASC 3

3rd Action Step

The team contacts many of the Free Trader bigwigs.

There would be a monster attack but we can no longer have those.

FASC 4

4th Action Step

An off-duty Imperial officer notices Barnard and recognizes him. He rushes to inform the local conscript army. The team is detected.

FASC 5

5th Action Step

An old adversary of Mahoney's spots her in the street and has the local police arrest her for some old traffic tickets.

Droid, next time you see her...weapons free.

With pleasure mistress.

FASC 6

6th Action Step

I am here to pay the traffic fines and get my friend out.

Barnard pays $100 for Mahoney's release. No FASC increase as this time was not spent on the mission.

FASC 6

Final Step

FASC 6 doubled to 12 + 1 for Mahoney's CHA + 6 for Mahoney's faction persuade bonus + 1 for Barnard's ability + 2 for $200 in bribes = 22. d20 = 5

That is 2 successes so it moves 2 levels. The Free Traders agree to support the Rebels in Espionage money and to make modest donations to the cause.

My opponent is pleased that he will at least get a small income every turn.

Theta Team

The team is given orders to go to Deepspace Station Omega and make money. Dr. Weber will lead.

The team is leaving Elfond to go to the deepspace station. They probably would have stayed where they were but they were detected. They probably picked the space station because it has no GDN. It also has a small size which may help us catch them. That may be a mistake. We'll see.

Preliminary Action Step

Sovereign recalled, no effect.

Mon Bulma's Extra Movement step

The ship takes off and there is no GDN. The light cruiser Incroyable does not detect the ship leaving. The ship hyperjumps to the DeepSpace Station, loses detected status, and avoids the light cruiser Inoui and lands.

1st Action Step

Off to make money again. Try that orphan fund again. Surgeon, start healing. I will try to find another game show.

Mission crisis, team leader must roll INT or less on d6 or fail mission. If he succeeds add 2 to FASC. It is automatic with a 6 INT.

I want to be a Thousandaire! Sign me up for this show.

FASC 3

2nd Action Step

Team hits trouble. -2 to FASC

I was going to surgically augment that stump. I was helping. It was not assault.

FASC 2

3rd Action Step

More trouble, team does not add to FASC next step.

Of course, there is such a thing as an Avsari Orphans fund. So what if it is not on your Imperial approved charity list. Think of the starving children. Sir, come back! .....I hate this.

FASC 3

4th Action Step

A freak fire starts in a mall while the team is inside. Everyone takes 1 hit.

FASC 3

5th Action Step

Another mission crisis. Again, automatic success and +2 to FASC.

FASC 6

6th Action Step

Would get a bonus next step but there is no next step.

FASC 7

Final Step

FASC 7 doubled to 14 + 4 for Weber's INT = 18. D20 = 13

Weber makes $60.
Bulma makes $50.
Surgeon makes $20.

The Phone a Friend option discriminates against those without friends.

The Rebels succeeded in every mission though some successes were marginal and some teams took a lot of hits.

The teams return excess money and the Rebel purse now has $1485.

Next time the Imperial missions start.

We have some decisions to make.

1) Pantaleon's Team should probably keep working on Minor Factions

A) Work on the Barbarians to bring their armies in on our side.
B) Work on Commerce Federation to make a few more bucks and bring their troops in.
C) Max out the Slaver's Cartel for the most cash.
D) Bring the Bounty Hunter's Guild to maximum alignment in our favor to hopefully get some attacks.

2) Giovanelli's Team

A) Max out Hyper-Mafia's support.
B) Go do Propaganda and Diplomacy on Neogea where Proctor gives a bonus (currently at -1).

3) Stargazer, Totem, and Nana's team

A) Attempt to locate Delta Team on Ganymede.
B) Have Nana do Propaganda and Diplomacy on Solaria and set up so Totem can lead searches on the planet for enemy team.
C) Same as B but do it on Mars.
D) Between Stargazer and Nana this team could Raise Money which we could use to fund missions and/or buy more spaceships.

Sote will probably do Research. Troyer's Team will probably get into position to switch characters around to pair Nana and Troyer and have Smith meet Sote.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Hmmm.... More attacks on these teams is good for now. Every character we wound or kill now is a guy we don't have to deal with in the future.

1. D

2. A

3. B

More bounty hunters means more free attacks. The Hyper-Mafia gives us future support, and apparently option B will lead to better searches in the future.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Gonna go with: 1B, 2A, 3B.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
In the Ganymede battle the team took lots of hits but the numbers appear to disappear between rounds? Do the characters have healing?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

1D
While I would prefer other actions, there are some seriously wounded rebel scum out there. If we can get a luck shot in the Empire might be less one insurgent leader.
2A
If we are going to court criminal scum, we might as well go all-in as soon as possible.
3A
There's blood in the water now. Let's try and corner these seditious rats.

Overall, her Ladyship Tookool is pleased with the internal security reports on rebel activity. She is hosting a gala in honor of the numerous Imperial citizens that chose to do their part by informing about or actively seeking to stop the rebels. A memorial service will be held for the brave individuals that have given their lives in this pursuit. Space wine and blue-skinned courtesans will be available for all attendees. Note that the memorial service is a fête, but you must wear black.

All Imperial Dukes are, of course, invited.

Répondez s'il vous plaît

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

In the Ganymede battle the team took lots of hits but the numbers appear to disappear between rounds? Do the characters have healing?

No, no healing. Looks in the screenshots like some got healing. Could have been my mistake. I sometimes recreate battles after we are done but I got most of those as we were going.

Edit: Oh, I know what happened. We assigned hits to Tlaniel and Illian and then realized we forgot to roll AGI for Tlaniel and Illian to see if the hits missed and we did after the fact and corrected.

Sorry about that.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Your Imperial Majesty,

I have disturbing news about recent events in Karalamp Sector, my liege. I have confirmed reports of sightings of Rebel agitators on Solaria. It is unclear, as of yet, what their purpose was, but I have no doubt that this can mean nothing good. Even worse, my spies inform me that the common grumbling about taxes and restrictions made by the damnable Free Traders are now often accompanied by clear and specific anti-Imperial rhetoric. The opposition of small merchants and minor companies to your Imperial Majesty's throne is stiffening, my beloved Emperor, and I have no doubt that the Free Traders can make nuisances of themselves if allowed. I believe we MUST cement the support of the Commerce Federation and directly incorporate their input into the Ministry of Industry's next Five Year Plan for the Empire, or we run the risk of the economic underpinnings of Imperial authority being undermined. I beg of you, offer your support to the Commerce Federation, which shall pay us dividends now and forever into the future.

Your obedient servant,
Oskar Karalamp

1B, 2A, 3D

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Hmmm....

I´d say Preparation is key, so therefor

1B
2A
3D

Is the position of the Commander of the Moloch Research Station open? Because I´d be up for that. I´m a great Mad Evil Scientist ;)

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Wow, this time the citizens are really interesting in attacking the rebels.

So, let's see, 1C, 2B, 3D. I think you could use more money.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Mr.Misfit posted:

Hmmm....

I´d say Preparation is key, so therefor

1B
2A
3D

Is the position of the Commander of the Moloch Research Station open? Because I´d be up for that. I´m a great Mad Evil Scientist ;)

Yes, it is. I know I'm going to push for building our doom moon or whatever.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

the missions in this game are great. I vote 1D, 2A, 3B . I think it's consistent with what I voted for last time (kill the characters) and it's good to be consistent sometimes

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Mr.Misfit posted:

Go for it and you can have command if/when we build it.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.
1B, 2A, 3A

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Turn 2 Imperial Missions

All characters heal 1 hit. Only Marshall Totem is still wounded with 2 hits.

Search

While several Imperial teams are detected there are no teams or troops to exploit this.

Team Epsilon

Dr. Sote and his droid are assigned to do research on Earth and discover the next Stellar Event card. They get $100.

Doing this first as it is possible this will change priorities

Preliminary Action Step

A new character joins the team.

The Emperor has assigned me to protect you until other duties call me elsewhere.

Vakvilo is tied for the second highest STR rating in the game with Edwards and supassed only by the Emperor's son. Other then possibly his INT his current skillset is not that helpful in missions. I can't complain though. He is likely to keep our team alive on missions.

1st Action Step

Rebel informants again locate Sote and inform command on New Hope.

They would be able to search if they had anything to search with.

FASC 1

2nd Action Step

Sote continues digging through the archives. Rolled Bounty Hunter attack which does not apply to our side.

FASC 2

3rd Action Step

A crazy deranged man tells Sote that bounty hunters are stalking him.

What an idiot.

Got the event that means we can ignore bounty hunters.

FASC 3

4th Action Step

The mythical bounty hunters attack in Sote's dreams.

This mission is getting monotonous....in a good way.

FASC 4

5th Action Step

The team is again spotted by Rebel sympathizers and New Hope is getting tired of the endless reports on the location of Sote. They know where Sote is and they know where Tokyo Bay Fortress is.

FASC 5

6th Action Step

Local research students help Sote in his research. +1 to FASC.

FASC 7

Final Step

FASC 7 + 3 for Sote's INT + 2 for Sote's ability = 12

D20 = 11

Mission is successful. We learn that next turn the Emperor himself will consider actively intervening in the current Rebel situation. The Sovereign Pantaleon the IX will enter the game. If he can be persuaded to total commitment on the Imperial side he will join our cast of characters (with the restriction as a sovereign that he may be recalled to Earth.

Ummmm.....this is good.....very good. Pretty pointless to know in advance but still good.

Team Alpha:

Pantaleon is ordered to Aurora to win over the Commerce Federation. He is given $1350. The team requests and gets clearance for the mission.

From top left to bottom right. A bit of a trip.

Preliminary Action Step

Sovereign recalled, no effect.

1st Action Step

Pantaleon visits Agnot Keep and spends $1050 putting our 3 contracts on Rebels.

Bounties are put on General Tlaniel, Jon Barnard, and Master Edwards.

Avsari are harder to kill so I picked only the most dangerous one and then picked high stat people with good special abilities. From now on in our search phase we roll 1d10 for each contract. On a 1 the attempt is made (-1 modifier if team is detected). We then make a low-odds assassination attempt but if it kills someone well worth it. Once the attempt is made the contract is over but we can return to Agnot Keep to order more contracts.

FASC 0

2nd Action Step

The team boards their ship and successfully jumps to Aurora and lands there. Detection marker is removed.

FASC 0

3rd Action Step

Pantaleon begins negotiations with the Commerce Federation and they go well. Skip roll in next step.

FASC 1

4th Action Step

No event.

FASC 2

5th Action Step

Vonder is hit in the head by a small child who throws a rock and takes 1 hit. The child escapes.

I have a suggestion for which planet we should test the Moloch on.

FASC 3

6th Action Step

While walking down the street....

Perhaps using the children of this planet as lab rats would be acceptable....

Someone hears this and civilians turn to beat down these horrible people. 5 of them attack the pair.

3 attack Pantaleon and 2 attack Vonder. Neither side is surprised.

Pataleon avoids getting hit and his plasma sword kills 2 of his attackers and 1 is wounded. Vonder takes 1 hit but deals 1 hit each to both his attackers.

The team fails to run and Pantaleon orders Vonder behind him to protect him.

Their odds of hitting Pantaleon with his Avsari bonus are low and Vonder does not contribute much in the way of attack. Odds are he should be able to kill all 3 if he rolls average.

One civilian gets in a lucky punch on Pantaleon and he takes 1 hit but he loses his arm and his head when he takes 5 hits. The other two are also dispatched with 1 more hit each.

Brave to attack an Avsari....foolish but brave.

FASC 4

Final Step

FASC 4 doubled to 8 + 1 for Pantaleon's CHA + 2 for his special ability + 2 for $200 in bribes = 13

D20 = 20

The Commerce Federation argues that this is not their war and they already serve a function and are annoyed that it is suggested that they should do more.

That was actually an abysmal failure (barely) that would mean the faction would swing towards the Rebels but the Commerce Federation cannot go higher then 0. Better luck next time.

Team Delta

Giovanelli is mission leader and the team is to stay on Intlig and persuade the Hyper-Mafia. They are given $200.

Preliminary Action Step

We get a Mulligan card. There is a 10% chance of getting one and at any time you can use it to reroll one die or dice roll. You cannot use it on opponent's dice. There can be a maximum of 5 of these in the game (total in both player's hands).

1st Action Step

Rebel informants recognize Giovanelli and the intel is passed on to New Hope. Team is detected.

FASC 1

2nd Action Step

Giovanelli offends yet another second cousin. No FASC progression next step.

FASC 2

3rd Action Step

Those phantasmal bounty hunters are at it again.

Wish I could roll these on Rebel turns.....

FASC 2

4th Action Step

No event. Team would have hit a random patrol but there are no enemy ground units on the planet.

FASC 3

5th Action Step

No events next step, just get FASC.

FASC 4

6th Action Step

No event.

FASC 5

Final Step

FASC 5 doubled to 10 + 1 for Giovanelli's CHA + 2 for Giovanelli's ability + 2 for $200 in bribes = 15

d20 = 8.

Hyper-Mafia is now as good as it will get though the Rebels could skew it the other way. That is +3 RP a turn and a +3 on all Espionage missions.

Team Gamma

Gamma team is instructed to leave Halen and go to Solaria for a Propaganda and Diplomacy Mission but are also there to hunt for the enemy Gamma team and hopefully hurt them. Nana is mission leader. Clearance is requested and given for the mission.

Preliminary Action Step

Duke Nweismuller orders the team to report on their activities on Chiron.

BASTARD!!!!!

He is such a nice young man making sure everything is going okay for us.

1st Action Step

Team boards their ship and hyperjumps to Chiron.

FASC 0

2nd Action Step

Team reports to the Duke and explains events on Halen and why they are going to Solaria.

FASC 0

3rd Action Step

Team reboards ship and jumps to Solaria and lands.

FASC 0

4th Action Step

Nana begins her goodwill tour. We rolled an enemy patrol but that can't happen.

FASC 1

5th Action Step

Tlaniel on planet notices the goodwill tour and through masterful use of propaganda counters the mission with the help of his new sleeper cells. The mission is aborted and the team is detected.

Please let me kill them.

Team Beta

Smith is Mission leader and the team is ordered to Nessus to win support there and protect the Moloch Project. They are given $200. Clearance is automatic due to high tension.

Preliminary Action Step

The team is ordered to report to Lai to report to Duke Pvt Scott on the mission on Ercoth.

WHY?????????

3 distance jump to Lai and another 3 to Nessus.

1st Action Step

Ship leaves Ercoth and becomes undetected and arrives at Lai.

FASC 0

2nd Action Step

Troyer reports to the Duke the progress made in winning over the Cyborgs of Ercoth.

FASC 0

3rd Action Step

Team hyperjumps from Lai to Nessus successfully and lands on the planet.

FASC 0

4th Action Step

Troyer begins trying to win support amongst the Ragnari of Nessus.

Mission Crisis. Must roll 3 or less on d6 of mission fails. If you success +2 to FASC. d6 = 4.

Mission failed. Planet goes to +2 unrest.

Welp, that's not good either.

May have to declare a state of emergency and try multiple missions to fix the situation. We can only do one P&D mission but we can also attempt a Coup de'tat mission to modify the planet by 2 if we succeed. If both get a basic success we can push the planet to -1. Then again the Rebels could launch a P&D mission and, if successful, follow up with a Spark Rebellion mission that will start a Rebellion.

I doubt my opponent will do that. A rebellion here would be easy to crush and the RP value is pretty moderate. Still, he might try it.

Next turn we need to have someone on Earth win over the Emperor. I was tempted to wait until we could tax Earth as committing the Emperor would swing Earth 2 steps towards the Empire but I would rather have him on missions and he can win over Earth on his own if needed later. The Emperor's son would be ideal as he alone would provide a total of +6 and there is another +6 thrown in automatically. Actually our odds are good with almost everyone. Smith, Pantaleon, Totem, or Vonder need to try to start a coup de'tat on Nessus.

A lot of team compositions also need to change up. Troyer and Nana need to form a team and some of the others need to be switched up too. I may have Pantaleon stay on the Commerce Federation and have Vonder go win over the Emperor as he has an almost certain chance of success.

After money is turned back in minus the usual graft we have $843 in the community purse.

Next time we run the military phase.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

I know it's a mechanics thing, but shouldn't the Emperor be the automatically committed to the Empire?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Considering that a lot of what the Empire is represented by comes from the bureaucracy and the grown aristocratic elite, I suppose that he could be more like a representative figure and therefore have a head of his own. After all, unlike Star Wars, this Emperor is no Avsari Master...of the Dark Side...right?....or is he? (Oh please please please please please...=) )

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Gnooble posted:

I know it's a mechanics thing, but shouldn't the Emperor be the automatically committed to the Empire?

I think the idea is that if the Emperor isn't 'committed', he hasn't been convinced he needs to step up his personal efforts to oppose the rebellion yet. His starting commitment and commitment range makes him very close to being committed the instant he shows up. Think of it more as 'complacency' than 'not being committed to the Empire'.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

nweismuller posted:

I think the idea is that if the Emperor isn't 'committed', he hasn't been convinced he needs to step up his personal efforts to oppose the rebellion yet. His starting commitment and commitment range makes him very close to being committed the instant he shows up. Think of it more as 'complacency' than 'not being committed to the Empire'.

Yea I figured it was something like that, just struck me as funny.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Out of curiosity, what would happen if the rebels take out or capture the emperor? Would you suffer a massive penalty or would things be fine if you still have Pantaleon?

And that was a unfortunate turn for you, only 2 successful mission. The dice didn't like you very much this time.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

grandalt posted:

Out of curiosity, what would happen if the rebels take out or capture the emperor? Would you suffer a massive penalty or would things be fine if you still have Pantaleon?

And that was a unfortunate turn for you, only 2 successful mission. The dice didn't like you very much this time.

If Pantaleon IX dies, Pantaleon X is crowned Emperor, and gains the unique traits of Pantaleon IX related to 'being Emperor'. If both Pantaleon IX and X are dead, Pantaleon IX's infant son is crowned Emperor, held in regency, but the Empire still staggers on (but without any Emperor character from that point on).

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Haha, were we loving with the teams by being micromanaging asshats? If so, that is amazing.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Gnooble posted:

He is but yeah, figure this as convincing him the Rebels are a real concern. The Emperor only has a commitment range of -4 to -2 and so cannot do anything crazy like join the Rebels. He starts at -3 and is pretty easy to push over. The Rebels could try to sway him to -2 I suppose.

Mr.Misfit posted:

Considering that a lot of what the Empire is represented by comes from the bureaucracy and the grown aristocratic elite, I suppose that he could be more like a representative figure and therefore have a head of his own. After all, unlike Star Wars, this Emperor is no Avsari Master...of the Dark Side...right?....or is he? (Oh please please please please please...=) )

Sadly no. I think this is partially in the game's roots. It is loosely based on Freedom of the Galaxy which is loosely based on the first Star Wars movie. In the movie it is never clear how powerful the Emperor is and in the first Star Wars novel it was suggested that the Emperor was really a pawn of the military. People like Tarkin and Vader were facing off against each other but calling the shots. In Freedom in the Galaxy the Emperor was a character in the game but others were really in charge. He was useful in helping with Propaganda and Diplomacy. It is worth noting that in the average game of Down with the Empire odds are against the Emperor even appearing. He is not an outstanding character stats wise. He does count as nobility on every world which is helpful for some missions. He is also tied heavily to Earth and can be recalled.

grandalt posted:

nweismuller posted:

If Pantaleon IX dies, Pantaleon X is crowned Emperor, and gains the unique traits of Pantaleon IX related to 'being Emperor'. If both Pantaleon IX and X are dead, Pantaleon IX's infant son is crowned Emperor, held in regency, but the Empire still staggers on (but without any Emperor character from that point on).

This is probably the only downside to the Emperor being in the game. If he is captured or killed Mas Pantaleon becomes a sovereign and is subject to recall to earth which will hurt his ability to perform missions considerably. If we lose both then Anaxim (a good character we have not gotten yet) becomes regent but that has no game effect. Fortunately the Emperor is pretty much the most protected character in the game. As long as he travels with his retinue he has 4 bodyguards with him on every mission. He also comes with the best ground unit in the game and his personal command ship.

It is possible for the Emperor to be cut from Earth if a Rebellion ever breaks out on Earth. He could then travel freely. This is almost definitely not worth the cost.

Still, all in all, this is a very lucky draw for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Pvt.Scott posted:

Haha, were we loving with the teams by being micromanaging asshats? If so, that is amazing.

Yep. We have actually been lucky in getting clearance for every travel mission we asked for. Some we only had a 50% chance of getting.

In the Preliminary phase the Rebels have the following odds of things happening:

20% Get an item (possibly minor character)
20% Get a new major character.
10% Get help assigned to mission (civilian advisor, light starfighter piggybacked on ship, elite soldier as escort)
10% Get that Mulligan card we got.
10% Get extra action in Preliminary step.
5% Miscellaneous Things (character gets sick, given new spaceship, spaceship has a malfuction, character has to fulfill a personal quest)
25% If there is any committed Sovereign on your side on the planet they are called home on important business.

The Imperial is the same except cut the getting an item at the top to 10% and the other 10% is getting called to the District Capitol to report. So far both of us have been rolling Sovereign a lot.

• Locked thread