Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i choose the empire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

The Marat Sector respectfully submits these draft proposals for the upcoming base realignment process.

the proposal is nearly evenly weighted between the different branches of Imperial defense. This should keep all the contractors happy.
GDN budget - 24 RPs. due to... political connections, several planets in this sector will see massive upgrades to their defense and surveillance systems. small grant packages are distributed across most of the other worlds.
Ground budget - 27 RPs. the elite unit is placed on xibalba, for... political reasons. darn those corrupt politicians! stacking up 2 conscripts on manzel, since line troops would get a negative there i think.
Space budget - 24 RPs. the wormhole system and the capital system receive the majority of these handouts, in the form of base facilities for three shiny new light cruisers. those corrupt politicians on xibalba keep sucking up military resources in no way warranted by anything going on there! gosh darn it!

cumulative prices are included for bookkeeping purposes after the individual unit's price, in parentheses.

Procyon

Oisad (3)
Ground:1st Line (5) 5
Space: Light Cruiser (6) 6
GDN: 1 (5) 5

Elfond (1)
Ground: Conscripts (1) 6
Space:
GDN:

Aerolis

Umbra (0)
Ground: Conscripts (1) 7
Space: Sloop (2) 8
GDN: 0 (1) 6

Rotina

Xibalba (3)
Ground: Stormtroopers (9) 16
Space: Light Cruiser (6) 14
GDN: 2 (9) 15

Deepspace Station Hyper-Omega (0)
Ground: 2nd Line (4) 20
Space: Light Cruiser (6) 20
GDN:

Stein

Menzel (1)
Ground: 2xConscripts (3) 22
Space:
GDN: 1 (5) 20

Dayan (2)
Ground: Conscripts (1) 23
Space: Sloop (2) 22
GDN: 0 (1) 21

Roca (0)
Ground: Conscripts (1) 24
Space:
GDN: 0 (1) 22

Groombridge

Morin (0)
Ground: Conscripts (1) 25
Space:
GDN: 0 (1) 23

Tolkin (0)
Ground: Conscripts (1) 26
Space: Sloop (2) 24
GDN: 0 (1) 24

Raisa (0)
Ground: Conscripts (1) 27
Space:
GDN:

How does that look? any mistakes i made? any trade-offs I should make? The space station's garrison sucked up points I would've loved to spend elsewhere - can you build conscripts on a space station? who even would be getting conscripted? I'd love to have more ground troops at the capital as a mobile reserve, but Xibalba and the space station seem to require more than just conscripts.

not to mention menzel, where there's kind of a lot of responsibility for two helpings of conscripts to handle, but on the other hand non-elite line troops would suffer a malus if i'm reading the colors behind the planets correctly. maybe the stormtroopers should go there?

also, will none of the higher-end ground troops even be built until Marat's tax round comes up? is that a reason to lean more heavily on conscripts?

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 30, 2015

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

we were fairly lucky to all have chosen different sectors, as well. anyway, i hope somebody comes along for sakayama but you could draw that one up to start the game and leave the spot open for the future on a first-come-first-served basis

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 31, 2015

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

here's some names. some french names. looking for cool accents and spellings became more important than the strict word meaning. 'i' theme for the ships, french military history theme for the real troops, insulting names for the conscripts based on their planets/species/etc. if a french speaker wants to bother to correct anything i'll change it; might not be worth your effort

Procyon

Oisad (3)
Ground:1st Line - Vieille Garde - Napoleon's Old Guard represents the cream of the crop in the duchy's local forces and, in legend if not in fact, the duke's invincible bodyguard. the best soldiers have been going to the stormtroopers for centuries though, i'm sure
Space: Light Cruiser - Incroyable - i looked up translations for 'incredible' and found out there are a few good-sounding ones

Elfond (1)
Ground: Conscripts - Poissons poilue - hairy fish; this planet's shared by the aquatic species and the totally-not-wookies, i think. and ah, the alliteration

Aerolis

Umbra (0)
Ground: Conscripts - Énergumènes - firebrands? baddest-assed-looking word i saw in the synonyms of 'fanatic'; this planet is travisian
Space: Sloop - Indomptable - took a few words meaning 'dauntless'

Rotina

Xibalba (3)
Ground: Stormtroopers - Légion Noire - not very important historically but it sounds cool. or do our stormtroopers wear white? i'm implying that this unit is recruited from the conquering franco-humans of the sector
Space: Light Cruiser - Invraisembable - i looked up translations for 'incredible' and found out there are a few good-sounding ones

Deepspace Station Hyper-Omega (0)
Ground: 2nd Line Conscripts - Salauds Orbital - guessing it means 'orbital bastards', i think it sounds cool
Space: Light Cruiser - Inouï - i looked up translations for 'incredible' and found out there are a few good-sounding ones

Stein

Menzel (1)
Ground: 2xConscripts2nd Line - Grognards - can't be spamming this thing with Napoleonic references and not include this one. historical nickname for the old guard meaning 'whiners', which these guys would certainly be since the 1st line get to hang out on the home planet while they serve their tour out on a burning rock

Dayan (2)
Ground: Conscripts - Dompteurs de rats - let's double up on the casual racism by insulting both the space rats of the barbarian colony here and the majority of the planet who have to live with them
Space: Sloop - Intrépide - took a few words meaning 'dauntless'

Roca (0)
Ground: Conscripts - Insectes Volants - the bat species gets to be called flying bugs, not rats, because we're too ignorant to know that bats aren't bugs

Groombridge

Morin (0)
Ground: Conscripts - Étoiles Écœurantes - this is the most boring system in the sector and i don't feel like coming up with two hermaphrodite alliterative names in a language i don't speak, so here's a 'sickly star' alliterative name in a language i don't speak, featuring a bad-rear end ligature of o and e. their star's a little less red than the rest in the area

Tolkin (0)
Ground: Conscripts - Gendarmes Sans Genres - gendarmes without genders? alliteration rears its ugly head again
Space: Sloop - Inébranlable - ran out of words starting in i that meant dauntless on google translate so here's one that's like 'steadfast'

Raisa (0)
Ground: Conscripts - Poilue poilus voler - supposedly this means 'hairy flying poilus' which i guess is redundant but here, hairy is a racist term for the not-wookies and they're sharing the place with the sentient bats, so whatever. another part of french military history becomes grist for the reference mill. this is my most ambitious attempt at french grammar and it's probably awful

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 1, 2015

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i'll vote for 1B, 2A, 3C, all calculated to up our chances of killing rebel characters early in the game. the superiority of their characters seems like an advantage that will only increase for them as the game goes on. mas pantalones pantaleon should head over to deal with the stuff on his starting planet first, but then we should grab as much RP from minor factions as possible with his next moves, assuming we don't need him to deal with something else that comes up.

it makes sense that the rebels would pull that free unit off-planet as soon as they can, so i'd rather not send our characters after a unit that only has to hit a few dice rolls to disappear beyond reach if i'm reading correctly. focus on our strengths, which are considerable

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 2, 2015

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

double tax only non capitol -3 and hire assassins

Sent from my BlackBerry

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

the missions in this game are great. I vote 1D, 2A, 3B . I think it's consistent with what I voted for last time (kill the characters) and it's good to be consistent sometimes

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

interesting. it seems like the situation offers the rebels a chance to break through to the next phase of the game. option 1 seems like the safer choice, but on the other hand it gives the rebels a chance to disperse their fleet and start multiple new rebellions, and therefore might be a short-term gain but a long-term failure. but option 2 puts a lot of faith in the dice and it sounds like it opens a door directly to the next stage, whereas the thing i like most about option 1 is the procedural block it puts on the opponent advancing to Concordance in the immediate future.

in the end i would choose option 1. i'm suspecting that too much thinking could be just as bad as too little, and the advantage of option 1 seems to be the most important aspect of the whole situation.

but of course i have no idea how to play the game

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i missed the last few turns and the explanation and assumed this had been abandoned. glad to hear it's picking back up, i like this thread/game

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

this is a great thread, love that things are heating up and so far seem fairly inconclusive leaving everything left to play for

edit: oh, you've inserted a vote. i can't remember how the mechanics of the game work. i intend to come back and vote once people post a little bit about it, if i fail to get back in time just pretend i'm roleplaying a lovely duke

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

ok, i'll vote 1B 2B 3A 4B. hold off on the big ship - the rebels want us to lumber around while they strike from every direction with nimbler, weaker, faster ships. we should pursue a defense in depth strategy using quantity - at least for now. on the ground it's a different story - we need troops with the training to win in any terrain against locals who are usually trying to escape. i might be wrong but i feel like the GDNs haven't really done us much good - spend the money on quality troops and (not the worst quality, i hope, but smaller so) quantity ships

• Locked thread