Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
So based on an earlier post I made in the GDT and an experiment, I've come up with a list of guidelines for actually enjoying wrestling given the shitshow that the last month or two have been. They seemed to work well tonight, and I've expanded them in the hopes that you, too, can enjoy wrestling again!

1) Watch Smackdown instead of Raw. (If you do nothing else, do this)

2) The endings of live TV matches don't matter.

3) The endings of midcard PPV matches don't matter.

4) Belts don't matter (except as a plot device to pit two good wrestlers against each other).

5) Treat a John Cena or Triple H in-ring interview as an opportunity to get a drink, use the restroom, mow your lawn, etc.

6) Treat Cole as a heel commentator.

7) John Cena is going to win. It'll be a really good match, but he's going to win, and it'll be clean. Sorry! If this will upset, depress, or cause you to meltdown, you probably ought to skip it. You'll miss some good action, though.

12) Get drunk as fast as possible at all times

9) Avoid all Big Show matches

Even though I violated #1 my Raw experience was far superior than the last few weeks. ymmv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

^^^Alternate: Don't watch WWE for the wrestling^^^

Midnightghoul posted:

Yes but if you push new talent and still have John Cena winning some of the time you end up with their increased merch sales + John Cena's merch sales, instead of just John Cena's merch sales that probably would not go up significantly since he is a known and static quantity. If you give people a reason to like more than one wrestler, chances are they might buy merch from more than one wrestler.

I'm going to call Vince and tell him this

If WWE was a wrestling company anymore that might matter.

WWE is about wrestling the way DC is about comic books.

edit: I watch RAW every couple months and enjoy it, so I don't know...

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

oatgan posted:

it was the best thing on the show
For sure, fun match there. I'm hoping we'll finally see somebody beat Nikki for the belt at Summerslam, Paige, The Boss, anybody. I'm rooting for Paige though, having lost thousands of title shots.

Cena/Rollins was cool, but I'd like to see Seth hit that phoenix splash and win a match with it one day. I'm still hopeful that we'll see Rollins get an interesting opponent for Summerslam, ideally not The Marine John Triton.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Midnightghoul posted:

Yes but if you push new talent and still have John Cena winning some of the time you end up with their increased merch sales + John Cena's merch sales, instead of just John Cena's merch sales that probably would not go up significantly since he is a known and static quantity. If you give people a reason to like more than one wrestler, chances are they might buy merch from more than one wrestler.

I'm going to call Vince and tell him this

John Cena lost to Kevin Owens once and Cena's merch started to go down. So he had to win the feud so his merch could go back up because we can't have Cena look weak.

Also, blah blah blah millennials blah blah VINCE MCMAHON.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Gonz posted:

John Cena is a satchel of pig diarrhea, and I hope he goes to blow his nose backstage, and it turns into the elevator scene from The Shining.

How does it feel to have a poo poo opinion?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

WWE: gently caress it, *throws fish*

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jonny Nox posted:

^^^Alternate: Don't watch WWE for the wrestling^^^

I am trying to forge meaning out of the absurd existential hell that is being a WWE fan, please don't crush my hopes

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Chokes McGee posted:

So based on an earlier post I made in the GDT and an experiment, I've come up with a list of guidelines for actually enjoying wrestling given the shitshow that the last month or two have been. They seemed to work well tonight, and I've expanded them in the hopes that you, too, can enjoy wrestling again!

1) Watch Smackdown instead of Raw. (If you do nothing else, do this)

2) The endings of live TV matches don't matter.

3) The endings of midcard PPV matches don't matter.

4) Belts don't matter (except as a plot device to pit two good wrestlers against each other).

5) Treat a John Cena or Triple H in-ring interview as an opportunity to get a drink, use the restroom, mow your lawn, etc.

6) Treat Cole as a heel commentator.

7) John Cena is going to win. It'll be a really good match, but he's going to win, and it'll be clean. Sorry! If this will upset, depress, or cause you to meltdown, you probably ought to skip it. You'll miss some good action, though.

12) Get drunk as fast as possible at all times

9) Avoid all Big Show matches

Even though I violated #1 my Raw experience was far superior than the last few weeks. ymmv

If you have to set like 9 rules to enjoy something, you probably aren't really enjoying it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Onmi posted:

How does it feel to have a poo poo opinion?

I have numerous opinions regarding the kind of actual poo poo John Cena consists of.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Blast Fantasto posted:

If you have to set like 9 rules to enjoy something, you probably aren't really enjoying it.

It's alright. I've won the battle over myself, and I've come to love John Cena.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Chris James 2 posted:

WWE: gently caress it, *throws fish*

The fish is the newest member of ISIS

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The saddest part about the merch deal is that kids don't care if their guy loses enough to not want the shirt. It was probably dipshit adults who got so huffy of Crna losing that they left before hitting the merch truck.

Oh also that Vince is unable to see that the 2% drop was easily offset by the huge spike in KO shirt sales. Why have a lucrative heel that sells merch along with Cena at 98% when you could have Cenas at 100% and nobody else selling shirts?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Mons Hubris posted:

The fish is the newest member of ISIS

How long until the company makes headless fish plush toys and tshirts? It sounds like something a deranged Vince would sign off on.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Gonz posted:

How long until the company makes headless fish plush toys and tshirts? It sounds like something a deranged Vince would sign off on.

he should b/c I would buy a WWE Branded Lana-fish

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Hey everyone I'm a big loving idiot. I realized after I uploaded the image and everything that you were already quoting 1984.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Love him or hate him, you have to respect Big Brother.

meh I mangled the quote anyway and it bears posting in response

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

You guys realize that this confirms Vince's thoughts, right

Ambrose got squashed, Seth tapped, and Cena wins. So everybody complains that this Raw sucked

The Raw that didn't have Roman Reigns

Which will make his triumphant return next week boost opinions and ratings

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Charles Gnarwin posted:

The saddest part about the merch deal is that kids don't care if their guy loses enough to not want the shirt. It was probably dipshit adults who got so huffy of Crna losing that they left before hitting the merch truck.

Oh also that Vince is unable to see that the 2% drop was easily offset by the huge spike in KO shirt sales. Why have a lucrative heel that sells merch along with Cena at 98% when you could have Cenas at 100% and nobody else selling shirts?

Cena "matters" and it's his magical aura that makes this so. Some fat dork named Kevin Owens will never "matter" like Cena is able to due to mystical circumstances beyond explanation. So he has to be kept strong.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Chris James 2 posted:

Ambrose got squashed, Seth tapped, and Cena wins. So everybody complains that this Raw sucked

I would rather have Roman Reigns because it would at least be a new person winning a bunch.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Gonz posted:

I have numerous opinions regarding the kind of actual poo poo John Cena consists of.

No one cares about your scat fetish.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Chokes McGee posted:

Love him or hate him, you have to respect Big Brother.

meh I mangled the quote anyway and it bears posting in response

New! Speak sucks!

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Hey, it's at most the fifth, give me at least a LITTLE credit here.

dont worry Lowtax will be shutting down PSP soon when he gets a call about all the hilarious isis jokes

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

oatgan posted:

Tthe idea here is to instill doubt that seth rollins can win at summerslam because the crowd is going to be violently pro-rollins/anti-cena at summerslam and because he's retaining the title. I dont hate the angle by itself, but it feels like the same old poo poo with cena winning a match he really didn't need to again. That's my 2 cents

Dean Ambrose losing an excruciating squash match to the big show was far more egregious

There's no way Rollins leaves as champion. He's been booked like poo poo and ratings are tanking. They're going to run back to Cena because that's what they always do.

There are no credible champions right now besides Brock and Cena, and Brock sure isn't gonna get the belt. Anyone else who could have been championship material has been neutered by poor booking or by being put up against Cena.

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

He truly is a master manipulator!

(Or just an old rear end man who has luckily fumbled into success for the past 10+ years, if not longer)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

New! Speak sucks!

And when I say black, y'all say white

black

Pariah Rex
May 31, 2011

If I help you now it sets a bad example to my fans.
I really really really excited to see how John Cena can beat Seth Rollins (the guy he just easily beat) at SummerSlam. Stories are always better when the good guy wins right out of the gate, never faces a real challenge and has enemies that have no hope of ever posing a threat. Storytelling at it's finest.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

RAW was terrible, WWE is terrible, we are all terrible for continuing to support them

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Efexeye posted:

RAW was terrible, WWE is terrible, we are all terrible for continuing to support them

oh I'm terrible for so many more reasons than that

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Efexeye posted:

I don't have a Nielsen box and I also space and do other stuff during Raw so my viewership doesn't really count. I like watching NXT and old Nitros so they are fine having my Network money.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I wasn't even watching, I've been in classes at uni all day.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
lol at the disparity between the quality of the workrate and the booking

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mkay0 posted:

lol at the disparity between the quality of the workrate and the booking

This is what kills me, the matches are passable to fantastic but the endings and storylines are :laffo:.

Pariah Rex
May 31, 2011

If I help you now it sets a bad example to my fans.
So which of these two and ONLY two possibilities is going to happen?

1. John Cena is right about to beat Seth clean again when Kane or somebody shows up and causes some kind of a gently caress finish.
2. John Cena wins clean then in the midst of the confetti and Cole sucking his dick while JBL tickles his balls, Sheamus cashes in.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
RIP Dean Ambrose lost a lot and died.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

the_american_dream posted:

dont worry Lowtax will be shutting down PSP soon when he gets a call about all the hilarious isis jokes

Lowtax's friends in isis are mad at us for making jokes?

They have phones?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

who?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Pariah Rex posted:

So which of these two and ONLY two possibilities is going to happen?

1. John Cena is right about to beat Seth clean again when Kane or somebody shows up and causes some kind of a gently caress finish.
2. John Cena wins clean then in the midst of the confetti and Cole sucking his dick while JBL tickles his balls, Sheamus cashes in.

Is he currently tied with Flair for most reigns or one fewer?

If he's one fewer, #2 actually makes a lot of sense because then he can tie record at Summerslam and beat it at Mania.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
OP hated the Sasha/Paige match, a foolish man

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Blast Fantasto posted:

I would rather have Roman Reigns because it would at least be a new person winning a bunch.

roman reigns doesn't even win anymore!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

flair's kid has a negative rear end. how is that even possible?

• Locked thread