Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ParanoidInc posted:

Reminder that Ultima Lucha is going to loving happen in 2 days and whatever way you find to watch it, it will be more than worth it and 50x better than this garbage

Well, only the first hour this week. The other two hours happen next week. But this week is going to be really good. There's a blood feud falls count anywhere match, the Trios Tag Title match (with that leaping gentleman pictured above), and a fan lumberjack strap match.

Even if you haven't watched any of this season, these two shows will be worth it. None of the stories are too complex to understand what is happening and they do good, quick recaps. Also here's 37 hours of Lucha Underground in 37 minutes to (sort of) catch you up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIPkT7aAhsE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

oatgan posted:

meltzer said that the lumberjacks are almost entirely real fans with only a couple plants and that their only instruction was "not in the face" so they actually whip the poo poo out of Hernandez

Phenix Rising posted:

There's actually a goon in the LU thread who got to participate in this. They've posted a few comments about it in that thread and it sounds as unreal as it seems that it would be.

I'm that goon and what Meltzer said is true. I think there were two plants in the crowd to do one spot and all the rest were just fans. Some of them are regulars who come to a lot of tapings, but some like me were just contacted via twitter or email beforehand. We actually quickly met with Hernandez, Drago, and Chavo (he's not involved in the match but he was helping with booking it) briefly before the show and the instruction from Hernandez himself was "The ONLY thing you can do that will piss me off is hit me like a fuckin' baby" and to avoid the face and neck. The basic gist was hit Hernandez as hard as you can, as often as you can. It was pretty insane, those aren't soft belts. We had to sign some serious waivers.

Even if you don't like Hernandez, you will probably enjoy this match. Maybe especially if you don't like Hernandez.

They actually put us back in the crowd for the whole show beforehand and told us not to tell anyone what was up, just to blow the minds of the people we were sitting near.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

abraham linksys posted:

ugh I really should be watching Lucha Underground but I just feel so far behind now

I'm gonna watch that recap and YouTube highlights from the season, do y'all think that'll be enough? Seems like the storylines are a bit more complex than, say, New Japan, where there's basically no storyline beyond "X beat Y in a match recently" or "X used to be champion"

That's probably enough. Going into the finale nothing is really that complex, at this point it all boils down to either "I loving hate you" or "I want the belt." I'll do little previews of the card (already all been announced, so not spoilers) and the relevant backstory in the LU thread before this week and next week, but understanding stuff like how Mil Muertes came back from the dead isn't really critical to the match.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
One news site just pointed out that, depending on the severity of the injury, Cena might have to wear a face mask to protect his nose. God I hope this happens. I really want a Cena in the ridiculous see-through plastic thing

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

KungFu Grip posted:

did you guys only beat the piss out of Hernandez or was Drago fair game too?

We weren't really supposed to beat up on Drago for storyline reasons. They gave us the two minute recap of why the fans hate Hernandez and like Drago (including Hernandez roughing up a fan and taking his belt a couple weeks ago). I don't think it was "don't hit Drago or else" but more like it wouldn't make much sense with the backstory.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Luigi Thirty posted:

I thought it was going to be horrible but Summer is a great heel and Rusev can get the bad comedy over because he's still a 300 pound Bulgarian delivering bad comedy.

Yeah with two other people it could have been terrible but Rusev has surprisingly great comedic timing.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

checksin posted:

Dashing John Cena

El Name Brandio

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Retromancer posted:

This may not be what you're looking for, but could I recommend Seven Ancient Aztec Medallions?

What the gently caress am I supposed to do with these? I'd need some sort of receptacle to even hold them all

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

cronox2 posted:

The following

WWE HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH

is scheduled for

one fall

god dammit please don't die LU

Having been to a couple shows, the secret about Melissa the ring announcer is that she verbally botches a lot live. Her presentation is incredible but they also edit out her getting multiple re-takes at times. To be fair, she has to do the announcements in both English and Spanish and she said that it can be hard to quickly make that mental switch.

Catrina's Spanish isn't good (if they even care about that) and Ivelisse has been laughing hysterically about this report on Twitter so WWE may be grabbing that Spanish weatherlady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

cronox2 posted:

Why would WWE be threatened by a wrestling promotion that's over in 3 days?

:smith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cGubCyBcWw

Do not doubt El Jefe

• Locked thread