Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

It appears my mother was a bit lax in roof maintenance, It's going to take some work.

I do have a pressure washer, so I should be able to manage upkeep once it's at a better place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I use a leaf blower to clean out my gutters, but if yours are real real bad they may need to be done by hand at first. If you have a leaf blower it's pretty easy to do.

Sapper
Mar 8, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Now's a good time to learn how to fix a roof, man. Those prices are ridiculous. Hell, it's not that big of a house; you and the girlfriend could probably re-shingle it for what he's asking.

We re-shingled our first house ourselves, having never done it before and working off what we could glean from a few rudimentary websites, the documentation on the shingle package, and books. You kids today are lucky, with your Youtubes showing you exactly how to do things.

The only thing I will pay someone else to do in my house is HVAC--and that's only because it's cheaper than getting the certifications and equipment myself.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Roof is done:

Looks like this was the source of the leak. The gutter for this wasn't done right, and was letting water in.

Another angle.

Wider Shot of the repair.

You can compare the Old one and a new one here.

New thingy for the roof.

Had to replace some shingles too.

This was missing a cap.

There was a LOT of crap on the roof before cleaning.

Yet another shot of the repair.

Roof cleaning.

Fixing yet another drain rail that wasn't done right.

End result.

All in all, it took four people about 7 hours to do the work. Now I can fix the ceiling and paint, then do carpet.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

I love it when some dickhead puts a stack or vent right up through a valley. Yours isn't as bad as some I've seen, but goddamn apparently architects mostly don't know anything about roofs.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Jordanis posted:

I love it when some dickhead puts a stack or vent right up through a valley. Yours isn't as bad as some I've seen, but goddamn apparently architects mostly don't know anything about roofs.

Wait till I show you the pictures of the front and back porch construction and the carport. Which I'll need to basically re-do in the Spring.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

dreesemonkey posted:

I use a leaf blower to clean out my gutters, but if yours are real real bad they may need to be done by hand at first. If you have a leaf blower it's pretty easy to do.

This is the pro way to do it but if you live on anything approximating a modern block prepare to apologise to the neighbours (preferably in advance.)

Guy next door to where I used to live rented/borrowed a full wheeled scaffold rig every year to do it, now that's dedication.

Edit: remember while you're up there to clean your PV and/or solar hot water, throw any frisbees back to the neighbour's kids, plus wrap your air con.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 24, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

~Coxy posted:

This is the pro way to do it but if you live on anything approximating a modern block prepare to apologise to the neighbours (preferably in advance.)

Guy next door to where I used to live rented/borrowed a full wheeled scaffold rig every year to do it, now that's dedication.

Edit: remember while you're up there to clean your PV and/or solar hot water, throw any frisbees back to the neighbour's kids, plus wrap your air con.

More than likely his ac unit is on the ground, if he's where I think he is, the area is far too humid to use a swamp cooler. And it may be a heat pump in addition to an ac unit.

I just use a regular ladder when I clean out my gutters. :shrug: It takes about an hour or so, including blasting out the downspouts with water.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I live in a State that doesn't "do" AC. I'll probably install one when I revamp HVAC though.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I've been spending most of my time getting myself and the animals moved (the cats are now mostly over the trauma), but I've acquired/done a few things

Got the sewing room mostly painted, and started putting the cabinets back. Can't mount them yet since I need to level them and I need to replace some outlets.

These are the new locks. I'll be using this same style for the interior knobs as well, and probably the wall plates.

... Crap. I'll need to brace that post for now and fix it come Spring.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Trying to get more or less settled in (then I get to start unpacking a million boxes), but I did get most of the new locks installed, and I put up some blinds so I can see out the front of the house.

Still trying to find a new job.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Nothing like having a worm fall on you while you're using the bathroom. Guess I need to get up in to the crawlspace.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MikeyTsi posted:

Nothing like having a worm fall on you while you're using the bathroom. Guess I need to get up in to the crawlspace.

Did it scare the poo poo out of you? :q:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Did it scare the poo poo out of you? :q:

Not really. Startled a little bit.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Did some adulting over the weekend, I started converting all of my bulbs to LED, and I got tired of this:

Biting my rear end whenever I tried to use that toilet, so I replaced it:

That's all for now.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Started doing work in the master bedroom since I'm tired of sleeping on the loving futon.

So, got the wall sanded down:

And started painting another wall:

I started organizing/moving poo poo around in there as well so I can clear space to start painting, so I can get things moved to where there supposed to be, so I can continue painting, etc.

Also, the people that cleaned/fixed my roof left me a little present:

Filled the bin, and there's still like half of it left:

Kind of annoyed that they didn't haul with as much as I paid, but w/e.

Bonus catte:

"Draw me like one of your French girls"

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

MikeyTsi posted:

Started doing work in the master bedroom since I'm tired of sleeping on the loving futon.

So, got the wall sanded down:

And started painting another wall:

I started organizing/moving poo poo around in there as well so I can clear space to start painting, so I can get things moved to where there supposed to be, so I can continue painting, etc.

Also, the people that cleaned/fixed my roof left me a little present:

Filled the bin, and there's still like half of it left:

Kind of annoyed that they didn't haul with as much as I paid, but w/e.

Bonus catte:

"Draw me like one of your French girls"

thats a nice catte

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

SneakyFrog posted:

thats a nice catte

One of three that currently occupy my home.

This particular one is the "queen bitch" of the household.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Fence has dry rot. Discovered because "Houdini" here:

Found an opening sufficient to allow him to go on an adventure throughout the neighborhood.

Escape point #1:

Escape point #2:

Yup, that's dry rot:

My dad came by yesterday, and we determined that the posts and rails still seem to be in relatively good condition (except for one post that appears to be broken), so the current plan:

Need to install a latch for the gate in the front yard:

Buy a bunch of pickets to fill these gaps:

That should make the front yard safe for dog occupation while I take the few weeks necessary to rebuild the fence. It looks like the posts and rails are largely in good shape, so I'm going to tear down the boards and toss them, then probably pull the rails off, re-stain the posts and rails to make sure they have good weather protectant, then re-install the rails with new hardware and put in new boards. The fence is taller than a standard one, so I'll likely also install a third rail to keep the boards from bowing.

Probably going to move this gate forward to the end of the fence:
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/VygJuJP.jpg[/img]

Bonus WTF:

Also need to fix this gate:

The hinges aren't the right size or anything, so the screws aren't mounted in to the post like they should be and everything is starting to pull apart.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Before:

After:

Now to pull out the remaining moisture barrier, measure, and install tile.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

So, my primary and I are parting ways, and she's moving to Portland.

I'll probably have some updates starting up after she gets her poo poo out of my place and I have extra money once I stop paying her loving bills.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

MikeyTsi posted:

So, my primary and I are parting ways, and she's moving to Portland.

I'll probably have some updates starting up after she gets her poo poo out of my place and I have extra money once I stop paying her loving bills.

Hi i have followed this thread for a bit.

sorry, breakups suck.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

To add to the above, Premera ended up not renewing my contract (with no lead time, of course), AND it looks like I have C-Diff again.

So, unemployed, and largely unable to look for work since I'm too sick to leave the house.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Ex finally has most of her poo poo out of my house, and I've gone through all of the "community" boxes and sorted out her crap so she can get the rest of it.

I also might be employed by EOW (I hope), so that will help me move forward with necessary stuff.

As far as household, I've got three of four walls painted in the master bedroom:

Now that I've got some space cleared out of the sewing room I'll be able to get the rest of the cabinetry from the bedoom back in the sewing room so I can finish painting, and will hopefully be able to start using that room for its intended purpose by EOW.

Next high-pri stuff:

hang doors for master bath and sewing room.
Fix ceiling in master closet, paint master closet.
Buy some moulding so I can cover the door gap for the front bathroom (got a party coming up).
Tile the kitchen (need jorb money before I can start).

I'll post some more pictures once the Master Bedroom is done and I've got everything set up in there.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Nothing like trying to find out what size filter your furnace needs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Did it not even have one installed?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Alternatively, tape measures exist.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Did it not even have one installed?

"Sort of"

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

16"x20"x1".

In other news:

Bedroom is done, and we've migrated to using it, officially making the guest room actually the guest room (we had guests there on Saturday, in fact).

Sleeping in there is,... somewhat difficult. But it's getting easier.

I've decided I'm going to go with aged/oil rubbed bronze look for pretty much everything I can (plates, fixtures, knobs, register vents, etc), here's sort of a beginning of that (I've already replaced the exterior knobs with this style):

I really like the look in general, and it seems to match pretty well regardless of the background. House of Antique Hardware has a style I like, but they're considerably more expensive, I'm debating which way I want to go there.

This is what I'm going to be using for "interior portal surrounds (interior doors and windows):

There's also two other types in increasing width that I'll be using for exterior doors and baseboard. Current plan is to either use a stain or a bronze-ish paint for the main piece, and then paint the leaves and vines in the color of the wall they're mounted on.

!

!!!!!!!

<To Be Continued,....>

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

You know you want to put a transom window in there.

Also, my wife and I went for the aged bronze for a lot of switchplates, fixtures, etc. and we've found it really does just sorta work with whatever else is in the room and has the added benefit of not being a plastic eyesore.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

No, I'm not putting a loving window above my bathroom door, you rear end. :)

I'm going to install a header up there and install sheetrock to fill the hole. I'll probably get that done in the next few weeks.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Good because what you should do is put the business end of an air raid siren up their so everyone in the neighborhood knows when you're pooping.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
There's not enough love for that leopard-print fainting couch there. Look at it. Just look at it. It's actually pretty cool looking. Where did you get it?

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

I have a chaise shaped like that in my living room that I thought was cool, but it's only black and now I feel inadequate. :(

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

MY GIRLFRIEND got it from some old lady's estate that was a member of her parent's church.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

MikeyTsi posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND got it from some old lady's estate that was a member of her parent's church.

A+ find there.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Well, that was "fun":

First off, we were barely able to wedge it in there, this one turned out to be a real tight fit.

Then we made the discovery that the frame wasn't at all straight.

First, we had to cut this side, so that it would sit flat on that end:

Then we discovered that the frame was really tweaked out, so we had to cut this side so we could kick the frame in on this side to get it somewhat evened out:

Even after that, we had to spend a lot of time with shims and such in order to get the door, frame, and reveal to line up more or less correct. I'll need to add some shims on random places on the frame to get it to line up right with the surround so I can get the moulding to sit right.

Oh, well, this is a problem:

SOLVED:

(I'll be flipping the one switch around to the other side of the wall, it's for the lighting in the room. The other switches I'll need to pull the wire up so I can install a junction box so I can extend them to the other wall.)

So, let's move on to the sewing room door. I spent a few minutes demoing out the framing since we won't need it once the door is installed.

They didn't even bother to pull the moulding out for 5 minutes when they installed linoleum, because of COURSE they didn't:

Unfortunately, I discovered that while the width of the opening was fine, the height of the doorway is 79" (for those of you that don't know, standard height for interior doors is 80", 82" with frame), so I'll need to buy a custom door. Which will cost almost 4x as much. So, that's going to have to wait for a bit.

In other news, my dad decided to buy me a miter box so I can cut moulding and such (he's also indicated that he wants to buy me a finish nailer for Christmas), so I'll hopefully be going down to Home Depot soon to pick it up. In addition, he's now absolutely certain a mouse is going to come up through the floor in my kitchen and give me hantavirus, so we're going to install vapor barrier and the base wood for the tile on the 19th. I just accepted an offer for a new position, so hopefully I'll be able to get tile installed shortly after that; I'm still debating if I should try my hand at it myself or if I should just hire out to have it done.

My next step is to try to figure out how to scrape up the "pad" that is glued to the floor under the carpet in the sewing room, paint the walls once MY GIRLFRIEND decides what color she'd like it to be, then repair and reinstall the cabinetry and try to get the floor re-carpeted. I also need to get my ex to get the rest of her poo poo out of my house so I have space to move things around so I can get space cleared enough to start actually putting things where they go.
In addition

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Maybe don't buy a custom door, just buy a standard one and cut it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3pQplY3qIA

If you have a hollow core door you might have to glue some random strip into the bottom but as long as you paint it after, nobody's ever gonna know.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Voids the warranty, and I'd have to cut more than you're supposed to.

And if your cut isn't EXACTLY right, you basically just hosed the door and need to start over.

Yes, I've thought about it. Still trying to decide what I want to do while I'm pricing out doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well, if a custom door is actually triple the cost, you could buy a regular door, gently caress it up, and buy a second door and cut it correctly, and still come out ahead by the price of one standard door.

e. but yeah voids the warranty, understandable if you'd rather not.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 29, 2016