Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Oh, btw, everyone gets 150xp from this encounter.

(yes I know that's way more than it's worth but i'm fast tracking to 3rd level so everyone's characters can get their full class path)

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

slydingdoor posted:

Just Emile
[HP:10/10][AC:14]
[Hero Points:4]

The platinum disappears into her own money pouch, the weapons are strapped to Mule, and then the body of J is slung over his back. The fallen can keep her creepy idol, wouldn't want to give everyone the wrong idea about who was the witch here.

But that note implied that J was more than a wicked witch out for revenge. "Wonder if you traveled far?" Emile says to herself, checking the body's calves and feet for swelling or blisters as she leads Mule to the others.

It doesn't appear she walked that far, no further than the actual village. Perhaps she was in town a couple days before the attack?

e: added context

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 6, 2015

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

[Miri Tallstag]
[HP: 3/9][AC: 13]
[Hit Dice: 1d8][Hero Points: 5/5]

Miri allowed herself a moment to breathe, now that the last of the mysterious skeletons had been demolished. The half-elf who had been accosted by skeletons earlier, Elorin, had begun introductions after writing something in a book, hopefully accounting the events that occurred.

Years of courtly training were hard to ignore, as she attempted to assume as regal of a bearing as one could while covered with sweat and dried blood. She shuddered to think of how disheveled she must have looked as she addressed her comrades. "Yes, Bluevine was certainly fortunate that we were able to handle the situation." She coolly regarded the deceased figure on the ground and sniffed in mild disgust, as if the figure itself had offended her. "I would most assuredly welcome your company, Elorin, in finding out just what precisely happened here today." Miri gave as proper of a curtsy as she could - finding it awkward to do so in armor, versus the finery she was used to, "I am Lady Miri Tallstag. It is a pleasure to meet someone with a similar goal in mind."

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Also I'm gonna put this up now as sort of a last chance... if anyone wants to make any minor changes to their characters now that they've seen how they handle in combat, let me know (and post it in the OOC thread). This could be things like swapping Feats/fighting styles/swapping ability scores/whatever. No changing classes/races/big poo poo like that. I'm offering this because I know there's a couple people in here who haven't played D&D before and it's a bit hard to build a character when you've never actually run one in combat before

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

[Grace]
[HP:9/10][AC:14]
[Hit Dice: 1d8/1d8] [Hero Points:5]

As Grace brings his sword around to strike the skeleton stumbling its way towards him, it is undone by a burst of brilliant light from a man appearing on his left.

"I AM PLEASED TO FIND A PRIEST OF THE LIGHT AT MY SIDE" Grace says, giving the priest a pat on the shoulder. As the rest introduce themselves, Grace hops down from the stage. Some 300 pounds of metal, wood, leather, and assorted equipment land with a heavy thud, pulverizing several bones under Grace's heavy tread.

"MY NAME IS GRACE," he says, looking around at the rest and giving Miri a quick bow as befits a noble. "THIS ATTACK IS TOO SMALL FOR A PROPER INVASION, EVEN OF A SMALL VILLAGE. IT IS EITHER A SMALL SQUAD OF A LARGER ATTACK, WHICH MEANS THE VILLAGE MUST BE THE PRIMARY TARGET AND WE MUST RUSH TO AID ITS DEFENSE. OR IT IS A DIVERSION, IN WHICH CASE THE VILLAGE MUST BE THE PRIMARY TARGET AND WE MUST RUSH TO AID ITS DEFENSE. OR IT IS SOMETHING ELSE COMPLETELY, IN WHICH CASE THIS NECROMANCER," Grace points his sword at the dead woman, "MUST BE HANDED OVER TO THE PROPER AUTHORITIES FOR IDENTIFICATION SO THAT THEY CAN TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTION."

Grace pauses for a beat.

"WHICH WILL PROBABLY BE TO HIRE A TEAM OF TRANSIENTS TO INVESTIGATE THE MATTER. IN ANY CASE, I BELIEVE WE SHOULD MAKE OUR WAY TO THE VILLAGE WITH THE CORPSE POST-HASTE."

-----------------
[Superiority Dice: 1d6/1d6(Commander's Strike, Precision Strike)]
Spells(DC 13): 1st level(1/2)
Status effects: none

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Just Emile

The mule driver clears her throat. "Uh, yeah, this one was the leader judging by her little creepy scepter thing. Also she had written orders to clean up any loose ends here and now from some R guy to some J guy, I'm guessing her. That first letter or face familiar to any of you townies or travelers?" Looking like no.

"I'm, um, Emile, by the way. She shot arrows at me I had to defend myself." Gulp. She wondered if she was one of the "loose ends" referred to in the memo, if this was her fault. Or maybe one or more of the other survivors. Could they even be J's backup?

Nah, that was crazy talk. They all attacked her or skeletons and some even got cut up by them. Still, there was a way to maybe catch them in a lie. She holds out the note in everyone's faces and says, "Hey, seen this symbol before?" Hopefully they know without being in the know. One of the bookish ones might, or the girl with the noble blood half of which seems to be outside her. Red was not her color.

With that sight in her mind, Emile knows what she's gonna spend some of that plat on now. Brigandine. And a sling, if more skeletons were in her future. "Let's walk and talk."

PS: J doesn't have better armor than Miri and Emile by any chance, does she?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

[Elorin Occasio]
[HP:8/8][AC:12]
[Party Tracker]

quote:

Emile: "Uh, yeah, this one was the leader judging by her little creepy scepter thing. Also she had written orders to clean up any loose ends here and now from some R guy to some J guy, I'm guessing her. That first letter or face familiar to any of you townies or travelers?"

Elorin shakes his head. Not only do "R" and "J" sound unfamiliar, he apparently hasn't bothered to note a single person in the entire town in all the weeks he's been here. He directs his attention towards the scepter laying in a pool of blood once Emile mentions it, however. Elorin steps forward to retrieve it for a closer look.

quote:

Cast mage hand, floating the scepter towards Miri and Kelsus (pointed away from the group), rotating it slowly to allow a complete appraisal.

Elorin, naturally, doesn't remember seeing the like before. But he jots down a few first impressions and keeps a studied eye open for particular markings as he asks the scholar and the noblewoman for their opinion.

quote:

Help Miri or Kelsus should they roll an arcana or history check, providing advantage.

With that, Elorin prepares to follow Grace and Emile into town.

--------------------------------------------------------
Limited: bolts (20/20), Hero pts (5/5) , Luck pts (3/3), Tide of Chaos (1/1), Hit Dice (1/1, 1d6)
Spells (DC 14): 1st (2/2)
status effects: none

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

[Grace]

"CLEAN UP LOOSE ENDS? LET ME SEE THAT... THAT IS LANGUAGE ASSOCIATED WITH ASSASSINATIONS RATHER THAN MILITARY OPERATIONS..." Grace muses, "LET'S HOPE THIS IS A SMALLER CONSPIRACY RATHER THAN SOME SORT OF INVASION."

Intelligence Check to recognize the symbol: 1d20 12, 14 if History is a relevant field.

-----------------

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Kelsus of Pyrroh
[HP:8/8][AC:18]
[Hit Dice:1/1][Hero Points:5]

Kelsus scans the area for more skeletons. He might not have been the best in class (well, alright, he stunk, and was always picked last, and ended up in the mud, and always ate last, and...) but he knew to watch out for a second wave. When it didn't come, he relaxes visibly.

"Is anyone hurt?"

Kelsus is proficient in medicine and his herbalist's kit, to allow anyone to spend hit dice, or will cast Cure Wounds on request if anyone is severely injured.

Werewhale posted:

"I AM PLEASED TO FIND A PRIEST OF THE LIGHT AT MY SIDE" Grace says, giving the priest a pat on the shoulder. As the rest introduce themselves, Grace hops down from the stage. Some 300 pounds of metal, wood, leather, and assorted equipment land with a heavy thud, pulverizing several bones under Grace's heavy tread.

"I'm pleased to meet you as well, my friend," he says, returning the shoulder pat, albeit with much less force. "And the rest of you too. I am Kelsus, professor in residence at the University of Wynarn, and blessed servant of Dol Arrah. I had intended a brief sabbatical to study the culture and habits of Bluevale, but it looks like something even more interesting is going on."

Religion Check to Recognize Stuff: 1d20+4 5
History Check to Recognize Stuff: 1d20+4 9

Yipes

"That looks to me like a scepter for dispelling the undead, perhaps from the 15th century. Sacred to the Fury, oddly enough, it would drive the undead into a bizarre rage, unable to comprehend their condition and face the enormity of existence, they would assault whatever was nearby, which... doesn't really dispell them, does it?" He scratches his head, then adjusts his hair.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Just Emile

The warforged says something about how it's assassination language in the note instead of military, "Yeah."

Emile doesn't think he's talking about the scars behind her hair, so she shakes her head, "No..." and listens to the absentminded professor. He makes what sounds like a couple gaffes, and she looks at her feet, embarrassed on his behalf, then shutting her eyes and interrupting him, "Uh, I think it's Bluevine." When she opens them it's quiet, but it doesn't look like he's mad at her. Maybe he's all right, and things aren't so bad. After all, if a place is so boring the guy studying it doesn't remember its name, maybe it's boring enough to lose a tail there?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

slydingdoor posted:

PS: J doesn't have better armor than Miri and Emile by any chance, does she?

No, she has standard leather armor on

Werewhale posted:

"CLEAN UP LOOSE ENDS? LET ME SEE THAT... THAT IS LANGUAGE ASSOCIATED WITH ASSASSINATIONS RATHER THAN MILITARY OPERATIONS..." Grace muses, "LET'S HOPE THIS IS A SMALLER CONSPIRACY RATHER THAN SOME SORT OF INVASION."

Intelligence Check to recognize the symbol: 1d20 12, 14 if History is a relevant field.

You don't recognize the symbol, but it certainly doesn't appear to be of military origin, nor does it remind you of any other organizations you've encountered in your military career.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Religion Check to Recognize Stuff: 1d20+4 5
History Check to Recognize Stuff: 1d20+4 9

Yipes

"That looks to me like a scepter for dispelling the undead, perhaps from the 15th century. Sacred to the Fury, oddly enough, it would drive the undead into a bizarre rage, unable to comprehend their condition and face the enormity of existence, they would assault whatever was nearby, which... doesn't really dispell them, does it?" He scratches his head, then adjusts his hair.

You (obviously) don't feel entirely confident in all of the aspects of your assessment.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 6, 2015

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

[Elorin Occasio]
[Party Tracker]

Elorin listens to Kelsus' less-than-convincing description. He doesn't bother writing any of it down, but he does ask an easier follow-up question that he hopes Kelsus might know. "Is it safe to touch?"

As Emile meanders up, Elorin smiles and returns her tentative greeting. She seems significantly younger than his initial estimation from afar - her conduct during the skirmish seemed to indicate a surprising amount of know-how for one her age.

Elorin nods at the money pouch Emile picked up from the dead woman. "Just how much was 'J' rewarded for her efforts? Any identifying marks on any of the coins that might tell us which kingdom they originated from?"
Limited: bolts (20/20), Hero pts (5/5) , Luck pts (3/3), Tide of Chaos (1/1), Hit Dice (1/1, 1d6)

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Just Emile

Her shy smile fades when money is mentioned. The half elf wants what's in her coin pouch. Didn't look like he needed it like she did though, what with his magic powers. "More than she deserved..." is her answer.

If she couldn't recognize the markings she describes them, then shows anyone who looks like they might know without handing the coin over.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Kelsus of Pyrroh

Kelsus laughs. "Yes, yes, right, Bluevine. How silly of me. Thank you very much. You know, my mentor, the great Thomas Magnus, used to always say to me, Kelsus, he'd say, you should never be afraid to correct someone when they've said something incorrect. He didn't use quite those words, of course. It was part of a much longer analogy involving a donkey, a chicken, a cat, and a dog trying to save a princess from a castle so their friend could marry her. They were a traveling band, if I recall, and ended up spooking some bandits so they could confuse the king into thinking he'd been kidnapped so the young man could rescue him and win the princess' hand in marriage. But it was also a metaphor for why the simple agrarian life is preferable to monarchy, if you looked at it another way. I think I'm getting off topic. What were we talking about again?"

That huge pile of white hair has gotten in his face again, and he pushes it all back with both hands. "Ah, yes, scepter and coins."

He stares at the scepter a little longer. "It ought to be safe to touch. I guess if we're worried we could just stick a sack over it and no one can touch it?"

He listens to Emilie's descriptions of the coins. It seems a little odd that she won't show them, only talk about them, but what does he know from manners?

History Roll on described coins: 1d20+4 12

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

[Miri Tallstag]
[HP: 3/9][AC: 13]

Miri pondered over "R" and "J" for a moment. "I can't say they sound familiar. This face certainly isn't either."

Forever_Peace posted:

Elorin, naturally, doesn't remember seeing the like before. But he jots down a few first impressions and keeps a studied eye open for particular markings as he asks the scholar and the noblewoman for their opinion.

"I hope you all will forgive my reluctance to touch a scepter that caused skeletons to attack us. Let me look at it for a moment." Miri leaned in to more closely examine the floating scepter, finding herself tuning out the ramblings of the professor. Something definitely seemed strange about it, but she couldn't place her finger on what. She concentrated harder, practically glaring at the object as she tried to think.

Intelligence check to examine scepter: 1d20 13, 17 if Arcana is a relevant field

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Toph Bei Fong posted:

He listens to Emilie's descriptions of the coins. It seems a little odd that she won't show them, only talk about them, but what does he know from manners?

History Roll on described coins: 1d20+4 12

The coins appear to be mostly of Karrnathian origin, while a about a third of them appear to be from Breland.

Melchiresa posted:

Intelligence check to examine scepter: 1d20 13, 17 if Arcana is a relevant field

The rod appears to be a simple Wand of Animate Dead, burnt completely out of charges (thus it's safe to touch). You don't detect any remaining traces of magic (meaning the rod will not regain any charges), but it was clearly used to orchestrate the attack. It also seems to have been constructed fairly recently; the metal is mostly smooth, lacking any notable nicks or chunks gone that would imply heavy usage, or even usage in combat. It does, however, feel a bit "cheaply made", if it is possible for a magical item such as a wand to be.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

[Elorin Occasio]
[Party Tracker]

Is Elorin understanding of Emile (insight roll)? Yep.

Elorin is immediately put on edge by Emile's blatant display of suspicion. Too many times has he run into some person or another that carries knowledge of a previous interaction that Elorin himself has lost. Misunderstandings have been frequent, and his book recounts all too many of the consequences of debts he had forgotten to repay, appointments he has failed to keep, contracts he has forgotten to fill, and perceived slights that Elorin did not remember saying. Navigating complicated social waters could be dangerous for one without a memory.

But Elorin takes a second look at Emile's uncomfortable and disheveled appearance. The young woman has clearly seen hard days. Elorin feels a pang of sympathy that suppresses the urge to avoid dealing with the mistrustful urchin. We've all got our poo poo, girl. You learn to carry it with time.

His interpersonal appraisal is cut short when Miri and Kelsus begin producing some exceedingly helpful insights into the nature of the rod and the coins. Elorin addresses Kelsus: "Glad to hear it! Perhaps you could hold on to it for us? There's a chance we encounter somebody who might recognize it."

Elorin then resumes writing in his tome.

pre:
The skeleton attack was carried out by a woman bearing a letter from “R” to “J” asking for “no loose ends”, suggesting a possible assassination. 
She had 120gp, in coins from Karrnath (noted for their use of undead troops) and Breland. She also carried a wand of animate dead, constructed recently.
The defenders of Bluevine know the bones had to come from somewhere.
Elorin didn't intend to write the last line: his hand continued on it's own accord. The thought hadn't even occurred to him that if the wand was newly made, perhaps the reanimated skeletons were as well. He shares his insight from the Tome.

"Uh... well, the use of skeletons means a source of bones, and a source of bones means the burial grounds for the dead. Maybe there's an undertaker or a temple in town that holds bodies old enough to have decayed into bone? Otherwise, these skeletons were marched from somewhere else. I think we need to be heading into town now."

Elorin flips the book closed and takes a few strides towards town. Pausing to wait for his new companions, he uses the now-empty mage hand to retrieve a thin piece of raw boar from his vendor station, already seasoned. Dangling the meat in front of him, he shoots a few well-aimed jets of fire along the side of it, crisping it into a hot, medium-rare strip. "...For the road. After we were so rudely interrupted" Elorin cuts a bite off the tip with his kitchen knife, offering a piece to Emile with a smile and gesturing to the others that they are welcome to help themselves as they walk into town.

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 7, 2015

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Just Emile

The half-elf is focused on the skewered morsel of meat and his own sense of generosity, but the human looks past it, at the knife dripping with blood. Like bait on a hook. There was something off about this other bookish half-elf. He'd done something wrong, that he didn't understand, and is trying to make up for it still from the same position of ignorance, and mostly just making it worse. Sorta like the other one who tried to cover up not knowing anything with lots of talking.

"I'm not hungry." No lie. Killing people and getting shot at had that effect on her. She still grabs a bottle of wine when no one's looking though. Throwing out leftover meat happened all the time, but leaving a full bottle of fine wine out to spoil was a crying shame.

While she savors the daydream of drinking it this evening, thoughts of the dangers that arise whenever something good happens to her bubble up. These weirdos all saw her kill an actual person, steal from the nobles' table, and take more coins than she looked like she was worth. They could stick her up later or scapegoat her to the nobles to get them. That would not do. She'd have to take the heat off. "Listen, uh, if you guys all want to split the coins..." She pours them out on the table and picks out half of the Brelish ones. Just like being in a gang.

Is she safer now? Maybe. She'd have fewer enemies this way, but then again, so much for buying that armor.

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

[Miri Tallstag]
[HP: 7/9][AC: 13]

Miri chewed thoughtfully on the piece of boar. "I think that Grace makes an excellent point. Perhaps the authorities will recognize this person. Even if they do not, maybe they will know something of any strange goings on as of late."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Just Emile

Emile carries Mouse and Mule carries J into Bluevine proper, asking for the Law. It'd be good to maybe have them in her corner for once. While she's at it she visits the inns and tries to find out where the late J was staying, or whether she lived around town, if she knew anyone, where the graveyard was and who was its (just negligent, hopefully) keeper.

Investigate: 1d20+3 11

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

BLUEVINE

Upon arriving in the actual village of Bluevine, you see the militia (that fled the fairgrounds as the skeletons showed up) gathered in the town square along with the sheriff and the mayor. All of the houses and businesses look like they're locked up tight, probably to help defend against any attack that would make its way into the village proper. After dumping "J" unceremoniously on the ground in front of the sheriff (and finding out that nobody gathered recognized her), you set out looking for clues.

After striking out at the Golden Griffon, the innkeeper at the Red Root says that there was a lady by the name of Josie who had been staying there for a couple days, but she checked out early yesterday morning. According to the innkeeper, she seemed very interested on the village's plans to celebrate Armistice Day, though she said she'd be missing the celebration as she had a date to keep in Fairhaven. She also asked if there was a temple to any of the Sovereign Host in town (there is), and apparently went to the chapel both evenings she was in town to worship.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 9, 2015

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

[Grace]

Grace snaps off a quick military salute to the sheriff as he approaches. "IT SEEMS THAT THE ASSAULT DOES NOT HERALD A LARGER INVASION OF THE VILLAGE, BUT WE CAN NOT ELIMINATE THE POSSIBILITY. ARE YOU SCOUTING THE SURROUNDINGS? SEND SOME WOODSMEN, OR YOUR QUICKEST SOLDIERS, HAVE THEM PATROL AROUND THE VILLAGE IN INCREASINGLY LARGER CIRCLES TO ENSURE THAT IF THERE IS AN UNDEAD ARMY MARCHING ON US, THAT WE HAVE AMPLE WARNING." Grace looks around, analysing the situation. "THE CURRENT CONFIGURATION IS DIFFICULT TO DEFEND. WILL THE WHOLE VILLAGE FIT INSIDE THE TEMPLE? IF SO, GATHER EVERYONE THERE, IT CAN SERVE AS AN ADEQUATE STRONGHOLD. ANYONE WITH A HEALTHY ARM, PUT A CLUB IN THEIR HANDS. ANYONE WITH A GOOD EYE, MAKE SURE THEY HAVE A SLING."

Grace looks over the soldiers and remembers that they fled from the attack to begin with. "WHATEVER ENTITY IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS IS NOT FORMIDABLE. STEEL YOUR NERVES AND STAY SHARP, AND YOU CAN DEFEND YOUR HOMES WITH MINIMAL CASUALTIES."

Grace turns to the mayor. "I DID NOT INTRODUCE MYSELF. I AM GRACE. THESE loving PHILISTINES RUINED MY PERFORMANCE. I WILL CRUSH THEM. THE OTHERS HERE HAVE THEIR OWN REASONS, FROM CURIOSITY TO ALTRUISM, FOR WANTING TO PURSUE THIS MATTER. WITH YOUR CONSENT, WE WOULD INVESTIGATE THIS CRIME AND MAKE SURE THIS CONSPIRACY IS EXPOSED AND THOSE RESPONSIBLE BROUGHT TO JUSTICE."

-----------------

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Just Emile
[Hero Points:3]

"Hey Grace, wait. Don'tcha think we should check out the temple before trying to cram hundreds of villagers inside it?" Emile lowers her voice, "I mean, whatever Vassals were supposed to be watching the graveyard while she was raising the dead by moonlight are either dumb or--" she does a throat-slit gesture.

This was bad. People getting randomly assassinated in front of her was supposed to stop happening when she left the espionage capital of Khorvaire. It wasn't supposed to follow her to a place whose name scholars forgot. At least she got the feeling she wasn't the target. But to be sure, she needed to know who was.

"Uh, sheriff, maybe before that or on your way, you could do a headcount, find out who's missing and if they had any enemies, then check the fairgrounds for their bodies. Meanwhile we'll follow up on the Temple." She takes off, prepared for the worst. There was a lot of defilement someone could get up since yesterday morning with a big gang at their beck and call. If R hated Bluevine that much to want to slaughter them during a celebration of peace with their own dead, they probably wouldn't hold anything back when it came to the spiritual center of the village.

They also would probably just send another assassin if they weren't stopped. To stop R, they'd need to be found first. The only person who knew who they were was full of holes. Hm, but it'd take time for word of her death to reach Fairhaven, if that's really where she was heading. Emile gets an idea. "One more thing--I did you a favor and killed the assassin--I want her stuff, and her death kept under wraps until I find out who hired her."

She had a plan. Step two was taking a look at Lady Tallstag and considering her similarity to Josie compared to her own on the way to the Temple. Emile could switch her eyepatch's side to fake another eye color, but it'd also be a pain to cover up her old scars and stuff...

Disguise kit (int): 1d20+3 18 Hero Disguise: 1d6 +4=22

In case we want to go to Fairhaven and try to meet R in disguise as J.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

[Grace]

"OF COURSE. GOOD THINKING, EMILE," Grace replies. He turns to the mayor, "WE SHALL RECONNOITRE THE TEMPLE. MAKE SURE NO-ONE LEAVES THE VILLAGE. WHOEVER EMPLOYED THIS 'J' MAY HAVE AN OBSERVER PRESENT WHO WILL TRY TO ESCAPE ONCE THE FAILURE OF THEIR AGENT IS EVIDENT."

"SCOUT. QUARANTINE. HEADCOUNT. WE SHALL CHECK ON THE TEMPLE." Grace summarizes as he follows Emile to the temple.

-----------------

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Kelsus of Pyrroh

Oh goodness. Intrigue! This was not something that they really prepared you for... Still, as it seems to be mostly research and putting things together, albeit with a slightly less than standard team of researchers. He'd been to the town before, though not for very long, and it's quaint charm seemed quite in contrast to the horrific fire and violent skeletons from a little while ago. Some of his companions didn't seem to trust him, but that was natural he supposed. No doubt he'd get a hang of their manners eventually. There was probably something he was conjugating wrong, or some eye contact he was or wasn't making.

"Ah, the temple. Now that's right in my wheelhouse!" He'll accompany Grace and Emilie.

Is there anything off about it? Any vestries that shouldn't be where they're at, or altar stones that looks mysteriously higher than they should?

Religion Roll: 1d20+4 6

Yeez. Orokos does not like me this game. :v:

"My my my, the architecture in here... Have you ever seen arched ceilings like that in such a rural temple before? And such an interesting layout, too... Now, my mentor, Thomas Magnus, had quite a great deal to say about the structure of temples. He said that..." Kelsus keeps going on and on, not paying attention as to whether or not anyone is listening.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Upon running a headcount on the village, you find the victims to be mostly commoners, though there were a few minor nobles from the surrounding area that got killed in the attack as well.There's typically some petty squabbling between the noble houses of the area, but nothing serious enough that would suggest an attack on a fair to kill any specific people (especially since the victims were from more than one house).

The temple seems normal enough for a quaint village. It's a very simple structure, without much flair, and has one attending priest. As you walk in, you notice that the temple is half full of distraught villagers. The lone priest, a middle aged man as unassuming as the village commoners are, comes to great you as you enter, sensing that you're here for more than just spiritual confort.

"Welcome to our small village's temple to Arawai. I'm Alec, the resident priest, (edit:) and you must be the men and women who helped repel the attack earlier today. (end edit) As you can see, many are seeking out the comfort of the Sovereign Host in this difficult time; religion is an important part of many of our residents' lives, and they flock to the temple for guidance when tragic events like this occur. We're starting to prepare services for those who lost their lives to the attacks, but we're having a hard time finding our undertaker.... He's generally a loner, so being unable to reach him for a day or so isn't unheard of, but he usually has a way of knowing when someone passes and manages to show up in a very short amount time. On the rare occasion he doesn't hear immediately, he always makes it back the next day. This is pretty concerning though; he's been gone for 3 days now, and there's no way he wouldn't have heard about the attack, and he certainly would have been here by now if he had..." -- his voice trails off for a moment out of a great deal of concern that he's trying to hide.

"..now, is there anything I can do for you?" he asks, in a somewhat hesitant voice.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 10, 2015

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

[Miri Tallstag]

Lacking any better alternative plans at the moment, Miri decided to follow her compatriots to the temple. Hopefully, the rambling academic could help provide some kind of useful information. Miri grimly counted herself fortunate that she was able to defend herself, unlike the fallen nobles and commoners noted in the headcount. She had grown up attending many of the same cotillions, debuts, dances, balls, and so forth as the noble families. She might have cared more had these families not been scheming with hers to arrange the best possible combinations of marriages. Although this did bring up an interesting possibility to share with her companions...

"Given the unfortunate circumstances that have befallen some of the noble houses, it may presently be a good opportunity to allow me to arrange audiences to seek their support. We may need assistance in the future from people with greater influence than we may find in this village. I should be able to send word ahead to Fairhaven as well, should we travel there next."

After she finished talking, Miri swore she felt a set of eyes on her. She turned to face the urchin, who was closely regarding her. "Is there something I can do for you?"

As she heard the resident priest introduce himself, she lightly nudged Kelsus, hoping to bring him out of his impromptu lecture on architecture to speak to the priest.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Just Emile

She out and tells the lady what's on her mind while they both tune out the nutty professor, "Well, you brought up going to Fairhaven, and it turns out I was thinking of disguising myself as 'Josie' to try to draw out whoever hired her. Then I thought, you know, it'd take a lot less makeup and lying to pass for someone less..." She gestures to her own asymmetrical face. "Do you think you could, uh, play the part? Black magician with a thirst for blood, gold, and absolute power? A pawn who would be queen?" She hams it up a bit like the theater folk who taught her some of their craft. Then the priest shows up and she shuts up.

Hm. The backup of the warforged earlier gives Emile and idea for a voice that might let her get things done around here. An intense, driven, unambiguous loud voice, "The undertaker might be in trouble. Anyone who knows anything about where he goes to get away from it all, let me know. In the mean time, I need any possession of his and a hunter's hound." Maybe people might think the eyepatch and scars were the mark of a hardened veteran, a survivor, and show her some deference instead of just pity and disdain.

Also, she missed Dog. Maybe she could spend what was left of what she took off of J and buy a new one?

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

[Miri Tallstag]

"A pawn who would be queen?" the urchin asks, rather dramatically for such a request. Miri could tell that this urchin was not used to commanding the attention of others. "Ha! Play the part? My dear, I've been surrounded by such creatures my entire life." Realizing she may have come off slightly more haughty than she intended to - no sense harming egos of those she would probably be around for an extended time, she decided to give a proper response. "That being said, I rather like your plan. We shall arrange the details further when the time is near."

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

[Grace]

"IT DOES INDEED SOUND LIKE THE UNDERTAKER IS IN TROUBLE. MOST LIKELY HE STUMBLED UPON SOMETHING THAT COMPROMISED THE OPERATION AND WAS SILENCED. PRIEST, DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE UNDERTAKER RESIDES?"

-----------------

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

[Elorin Occasio]
[Party Tracker]

Elorin finds himself speaking to a priest. The man is unfamiliar, but Elorin notices that he is still in the company of the defenders of Bluevine. Elorin strains to extrapolate the reasons that brought him here. Perhaps this is a service for one of the dead? There are a great many people present so it must have been somebody important. Elorin bows his head reverently as the priest introduces himself as a disciple of the Sovereign Host and begins to preach the importance of spiritual practice in times of trial. Elorin feels a brief pang of guilt, and silently sends a prayer to Aureon to care for those who died at the at the fairgrounds, particularly whomever was being recognized here today.

Then the priest mentions a missing undertaker, and Elorin's confabulation is upended as the thought resonates with something Elorin actually does remember. Of course, we're investigating the source of the bones! Thank god I wrote that down. Elorin flips open his book to make sure his motivations are not forgotten a second time. The priest seems sincere in his distress, and with good reason - whoever was behind the fairground butchery should have no problem handling an unsuspecting hermit. Though an even more unpleasant possibility remained open that the undertaker was a confederate in the horrid attack.

When the thought of a betrayal from within the town strikes him, though, Elorin casts a more skeptical eye at the priest. For somebody of Elorin's condition, it pays to be careful with every conversant.

"I'd hate to impose on your administrations here, but would you mind terribly if we looked around the grounds for a bit? We may find something that could help us figure out what happened to your man." Eloring carefully judges the priest's response to nosy investigators, secretly hoping that the kind-seeming fellow was on the level.

quote:

- Insight into whether the priest is hiding anything: 12
- Quickly explore the grounds looking for the source of the skeleton bones (in the graveyard or a crypt if they have one?)
- If nothing interesting turns up, follow the party to the undertaker's home

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Werewhale posted:

"IT DOES INDEED SOUND LIKE THE UNDERTAKER IS IN TROUBLE. MOST LIKELY HE STUMBLED UPON SOMETHING THAT COMPROMISED THE OPERATION AND WAS SILENCED. PRIEST, DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE UNDERTAKER RESIDES?"

"He lives in a small house off the northern edge of the graveyard, off the road a ways. It's the only house out that far though, so you shouldn't have much trouble finding it. He built it there years ago, as far away as he could reasonably get from the town... says he prefers the solitude. He usually kept himself holed up there when he wasn't digging graves or occasionally wandering the woods or whatever it is that he does when he disappears."

Forever_Peace posted:

"I'd hate to impose on your administrations here, but would you mind terribly if we looked around the grounds for a bit? We may find something that could help us figure out what happened to your man." Eloring carefully judges the priest's response to nosy investigators, secretly hoping that the kind-seeming fellow was on the level.

*he turns to Elorin*

"Sure, I'd love for you to take a look around the temple and graveyard. There's got to be something strange going on there... those bones had to have come from somewhere, and you look like you could handle any trouble that comes your way."

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

[Grace]

"THANK YOU ALEC," Grace says and turns to the rest of the group. "I SAY WE START WITH GOING TO THE UNDERTAKER'S HOUSE, GOING THROUGH THE GRAVEYARD. IF THERE'S ANYTHING DANGEROUS ON THE GROUNDS LEFT OVER FROM WHATEVER RITUAL RAISED THE UNDEAD, WE SHOULD SPOT IT, BUT OUR MOST PRESSING CONCERN IS WHETHER THE UNDERTAKER IS IN TROUBLE. WE CAN SEARCH THE GRAVEYARD MORE DILIGENTLY FOR CLUES AFTER HIS STATUS IS ASCERTAINED."

-----------------

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Just Emile

The urchin searches the graveyard for undead tracks or clues or whatever, and later the undertaker's yard and house for traps in case the guy was that kind of misanthrope.

Investigation: 2#1d20+3 22 12

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

slydingdoor posted:

Just Emile

The urchin searches the graveyard for undead tracks or clues or whatever, and later the undertaker's yard and house for traps in case the guy was that kind of misanthrope.

Investigation: 2#1d20+3 22 12

As you scan through the graveyard, you notice some odd looking graves at the northwestern end. Upon closer inspection, there are six graves that look like they've been recently dug. The years on the headstones betray their true age however, as they all date to at least a year ago. Most of them seem to be refilled with some care, though rough edges and lumps show a subtle lack of professional digging. The grave furthest to the east, however, seems to have been filled in a hurry--the dirt seems to have been thrown back into the hole in a rush, and the earth is still loose; it doesn't even seem to have been tamped down at all.

(Do you want to continue examining the graveyard, or would you rather proceed to the gravekeeper's house? (or split up and do both?))

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Just Emile

"Bet she thought she'd have time to come back for this one if she left it half open..." She murmurs loud enough for the others to hear. Then she crouches and starts clawing through the dirt like a dog. It might look a little ridiculous, but it was at least fast.

Emile mentally prepares herself to either find J's cache, or the undertaker, or both.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

slydingdoor posted:

Just Emile

"Bet she thought she'd have time to come back for this one if she left it half open..." She murmurs loud enough for the others to hear. Then she crouches and starts clawing through the dirt like a dog. It might look a little ridiculous, but it was at least fast.

Emile mentally prepares herself to either find J's cache, or the undertaker, or both.

As you throw the soil aside, you begin to notice the unmistakable stench of death. A little under a foot down, you hit something something solid, and your fears are confirmed as you uncover a cold, pallid arm, its hand is heavily calloused, as if from years of manual labor... It seems as though it's still attached to the rest of its (still covered) body.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

[Grace]

"LOOKS LIKE WE MAY HAVE FOUND OUR UNDERTAKER," Grace says and helps Emile clear the rest of the body. Once clear, he examines the corpse for clues as to how the undertaker died and how long he's been dead.

(Medicine)CSI: Eberron: 1d20-1 7

"I REALIZE I HAVE VERY LITTLE EXPERIENCE IN FORENSICS," he says to the rest of the group. "PERHAPS SOMEONE ELSE CAN IDENTIFY CAUSE OF DEATH AND HOW LONG HE HAS BEEN DEAD?"

-----------------

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Just Emile

The urchin shivers a bit, reliving old memories of finding dead bodies in alleys, sometimes on purpose in a gang of curious kids, later on accident after a cold night, or a run in with someone with colder blood. There was always a bright side, though, whether the body used to be friend or foe. Emile rolls the corpse under the guise of doing a medical examination, checking for anything grasped in the palm of his hands, pocketed, hidden in the mouth or stuck in the throat or boot. "Come on.... inheritance," She thinks to herself. After that she also checks for sword or arrow causes of death, knowing J's choice of weapons, like Grace was trying to do, and makes some small talk, "Dang, you'd think a guy who can't catch our diseases would make a great doctor. Someone dropped the ball... say, if we found a dead warforged, would you know how they worked then? The few I've run into weren't able to maintain themselves for poo poo."

CSInvestigation: 1d20+3 7 CSInvestigation (Gracehelp adv): 1d20+3 13 hero: 1d6 +5=18

Then she looks over her shoulder at Elorin, who'd gotten one favor out of the priest so far, and would probably be able to finagle another, "Why dontcha get Alec over here to make sure it's him."

If there are no more clues to be found, she heads off for the Undertaker's house after that, checking for traps as she planned earlier.

Sorry for the chainposting just trying to move things along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Kelsus of Pyrroh

"Well, goodness. That is... Huh. Where'd everybody go?"

Kelsus had been meaning to keep quieter, since his last lecture didn't seem to have had the effect he was intending, but there were so many fascinating things and interesting points that people didn't know. People kept wandering off in the middle, though. But just because he was talking doesn't mean he wasn't paying attention, or looking, or reading lips.

Are there any mysterious folks here in the temple? People who don't blend in quite as well as they think? Often they will leave a spy or attendant behind to watch the place...
Perception on Temple: 1d20+5 16

• Locked thread