Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
White Coke
May 29, 2015
I too liked Deadlocked, though I had convinced myself that since every other game in the series up to that point had been an improvement Deadlocked must logically be an improvement over Up Your Arsenal.

Is Deadlocked a pun for anything like the other R&C titles? If not it could explain why it wasn't as/any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
Well, deadlock does actually have a meaning in computer terms. "A failure or inability to proceed due to two programs or devices both requiring a response from the other before completing an operation." I discovered once that respawning crates + weapon that removes crates entirely = deadlock, but this was much later in the series.
But according to a thread on gamefaqs, it apparently has something to do with bondage. :what:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SorataYuy posted:

Well, deadlock does actually have a meaning in computer terms. "A failure or inability to proceed due to two programs or devices both requiring a response from the other before completing an operation." I discovered once that respawning crates + weapon that removes crates entirely = deadlock, but this was much later in the series.
But according to a thread on gamefaqs, it apparently has something to do with bondage. :what:

Eh, makes sense, they have to get sneaky with the pun names some times. They couldn't get Clock Blockers past Sony so they had to go with A Crack in Time.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
Deadlocked was a decent enough game. What made it for me was the announcer chatter. The fact that they recorded a line for you wandering around the backs of buildings looking for crates was a great touch.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mr Confetti posted:

Deadlocked was a decent enough game. What made it for me was the announcer chatter. The fact that they recorded a line for you wandering around the backs of buildings looking for crates was a great touch.
The announcers and their smear campaigns make the game worth it.

Also I always loved the banter with the Galactic Rangers in those battle maps

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
This update is extremely my jam.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

I think the term you guys were looking for to describe the Rift Inducer in this game is "gravitational singularity launcher", maybe.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hello, I played Secret Agent Clank. It's in the same continuity as Size Matters and is under the impression that Clank is an actual spy. It's pretty bad, the stealth mechanics mean you don't upgrade your weapons as often, but since the final boss is a ranged fight, all your melee weapons are useless and pointless to upgrade. The Ratchet sections are just arena stuff and uses the weapons from Size Matters. And they still suck! Overall, eh.

Also, you don't use the balcony to get that Titanium Bolt, you go on the spiral metal thing, align yourself so you're above the other spiral, then fall off and hover onto it, it's pretty easy.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
You want to watch a sentai show themed around being a spy? Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters is for you.

Also it is good and you should watch it anyway.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

Also, you don't use the balcony to get that Titanium Bolt, you go on the spiral metal thing, align yourself so you're above the other spiral, then fall off and hover onto it, it's pretty easy.

My way also works. Fight me, nerd.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
so Kalon do you just not know you can boomerang the Plasma Whip like the wrench? Or just never find a need to?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

so Kalon do you just not know you can boomerang the Plasma Whip like the wrench? Or just never find a need to?

Why would you use the Plasma Whip as a crappy gun when you have a dozen awesome guns instead? The Plasma Whip is for whipping the gently caress out of hordes of enemies, not for slowly plinking away from the middle distance.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Why would you use the Plasma Whip as a crappy gun when you have a dozen awesome guns instead? The Plasma Whip is for whipping the gently caress out of hordes of enemies, not for slowly plinking away from the middle distance.

I dunno, every now and then throwing it comes in handy, like in the Plasma Whip only arena

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Throwing it kills hordes faster too, with less danger to Ratchet as well. From memory throwing it hits everything 3 times in the area.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

kalonZombie posted:

My way also works. Fight me, nerd.

It's true you've taught me a new way to get to that bolt, since I've always used that one way. And I would if I had a PS3.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
"Cousin's uncle's son" could be either "brother" or "cousin" depending on how many uncles you have. Not really someone you should be getting frisky with either way.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Or "cousin's cousin" if your parent had a sister, which is fine.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Or "cousin's cousin" if your parent had a sister, which is fine.

What? No. What you described there (your mom's sister's kid) is still your first cousin. Ew. Second cousin starts at your mom's mother's sister's grandkid. Which is still too close for comfort.

If the roots of your family tree intersect with your SO's tree, you need to find a new forest to gently caress.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

RickVoid posted:

What? No. What you described there (your mom's sister's kid) is still your first cousin. Ew. Second cousin starts at your mom's mother's sister's grandkid. Which is still too close for comfort.

If the roots of your family tree intersect with your SO's tree, you need to find a new forest to gently caress.

I misspoke on the parent, because I misplaced the uncle. For example, if my unrelated aunt (dad's brother's wife) had a brother, he would be my cousin's uncle. That uncle's son would be my cousin's cousin and unrelated to me at all genetically.

Cousin's cousin is not the same as second cousin. Second cousin is (as you said) your relationship to a parent's cousin's kid. "Cousin once removed" would be your relationship to a parent's cousin. It's confusing and gets fun when you have the kind of family that casually uses terms like "third cousin twice removed."

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Don't worry, Wikipedia has a chart for that.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

kalonZombie posted:

Nah, he's had that since game 1.
He's had a penchant for giving wedgies since game 1? :aaa:

Meonekton
Oct 26, 2014
Well Idol Minds did sort of break the Rift Inducer. The black holes are a lot louder than they should be.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Just a heads up: There likely won't be an update on Tuesday because we've been having trouble nailing down a day we can sit down to record. However, to make up for it, on Tuesday, I'll be updating my King's Quest 2015 thread with an extra video for that LP that week.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I'm not always the most active thread poster, but I want to thank Kalon for LPing the Ratchet and Clank games. They flew under my radar but they seem like quite a lot of fun! I'm kinda sad I missed out on them until now.

I also couldn't help but to nerd out and make Dr. Nefarious in WWE 2k14, he's the best character. :allears:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

I also couldn't help but to nerd out and make Dr. Nefarious in WWE 2k14, he's the best character. :allears:

It's kind of scary how well this works. :stare:

(I could have sworn there was a combination of :allears: and :stare: but I can't find it. That's the kind of emoticon I need right now)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

(I could have sworn there was a combination of :allears: and :stare: but I can't find it. That's the kind of emoticon I need right now)

:suspense: ?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm not always the most active thread poster, but I want to thank Kalon for LPing the Ratchet and Clank games. They flew under my radar but they seem like quite a lot of fun! I'm kinda sad I missed out on them until now.

"Dr... New-FORTY-S!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

:magical:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

That's the one! Awesome.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
Hmm yeah the Secret Agent part here only works because of the context of being in a TV show. (And it being one of the Clank-specific mini missions.) The director commentary goes a long way to making it work. The spinoff on PSP was the first R&C game I recall being actually bad. Highly ill advised.

But then, most of the rest of the series is amazing, and it was flat out my favorite series on PS2. This one felt like kind of an incremental improvement of Going Commando, so my first-impression memories of GC are my favorite, but this is an awesome game regardless. Dr. Nefarious is the best character.

I will say the graphics haven't age as well as I recall, but then the HD era games might be muddling my memory somewhat.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

After a small break we're back for now. How long that keeps up remains to be seen.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I remember getting confused when I went to that planet since quark was right at the front.

also slightly relevant to the thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvWRilQ9lnI

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

WAIT WAS THAT A PRE-ROBO NEFARIOUS IN THAT TRAILER?

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

kalonZombie posted:

WAIT WAS THAT A PRE-ROBO NEFARIOUS IN THAT TRAILER?

He has his armor, voice, and body shape. So I'm gonna say yes. Also drat there are a lot of references and cameos in that video.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ratchet and Clank is a weirdly consistently good franchise. I have high hopes and may just watch this film by myself if none of my friends are interested.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Ratchet and Clank definitely deserve a movie, since their franchise is essentially Saturday Morning Cartoon: The Video Game.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

He has his armor, voice, and body shape. So I'm gonna say yes. Also drat there are a lot of references and cameos in that video.

No Lawrence though...

That trailer got some laughs out of me. Hope the movie is good.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

I also saw Talwyn and the Fungoids in there. They're really picking from the whole game'verse here. Looking pretty good so far.
Edit: JOHN GOODMAN. Okay, this movie should be drat fun.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

IronSaber posted:

Ratchet and Clank definitely deserve a movie, since their franchise is essentially Saturday Morning Cartoon: The Video Game.

Holy hell YES. Infinite bonus points if it turns out to the the first not lovely video game movie ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That trailer had, like, half a second of Ratchet using a weapon, and we didn't even get to see it explode something. :mad:

• Locked thread