Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The only Uber inspections my shop does any more are almost always a brand new off the lot Prius pulling in at the same time as a black Lincoln Town Car, 2 guys get out who can barely speak enough English to even ask us if we do Uber inspections here, then they both get into the town car and leave. It's an inspiring tale of the little man undercutting those evil corporations and fighting back against entrenched monolithic organizations and coming out the victor. The free market has spoken, and it has spoken for Freedom everywhere.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
whats an uber inspection (i own a car so i dont need to pay some sweaty small-fat to schlep me around)

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It's for Uber. We inspect the cars. Bout it realKY

I just loving hate Uber

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

14 INCH SLIT posted:

It's for Uber. We inspect the cars. Bout it realKY

I just loving hate Uber

don't worry regulation will catch up to them and they will probably have most of the same rules that taxi companies have to deal with.

Miggles
Dec 8, 2003

Un-pave the roads and everyone get a horse imho.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Taxi drivers are almost universally thieving human scum so I'm glad anyone is loving them over even though Uber is still kind of poo poo.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i only use uber black

Miggles
Dec 8, 2003

Uber eats.

$16 for a cold chicken pesto sandwich that should have been $6.

Yeah...

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Three Olives posted:

Taxi drivers are almost universally thieving human scum so I'm glad anyone is loving them over even though Uber is still kind of poo poo.

How's the condo? Maybe you can invest in a taxi company and have a penthouse instead of a lovely condo.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Chinatown posted:

i only use uber black

Uber Select is cheaper than Uber Black and frankly often has nicer cars.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i don't understand how using an app makes unlicensed taxis legal? uber confuses me

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Uber is good and I enjoy using it

The last time I used an actual cab we got picked up by some guy with his buddy sitting in the passenger seat, both of whom were clearly high as poo poo on painkillers. I really don't care that Uber is cheaper but avoiding stuff like that is nice.

Space Camp fuckup fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 28, 2015

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

Uber Select is cheaper than Uber Black and frankly often has nicer cars.

ill give that a shot thanks.

sitting in the back of a prius with no tint is awkward and weird plus gently caress getting picked up in loving subcompact cars

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Rutibex posted:

i don't understand how using an app makes unlicensed taxis legal? uber confuses me

how does a regular unlicensed taxi disrupt anything?

i think some people are just born with inferior genes that don't allow them to understand disruption and the new shared economy of things

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006

Rutibex posted:

its called "disruption"

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Sir_Charles posted:

Uber is good and I enjoy using it

If you're in Phoenix, it seriously is the best way to go drinking with friends

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Chinatown posted:

sitting in the back of a prius with no tint is awkward and weird plus gently caress getting picked up in loving subcompact cars

Yeah there are some lovely Uber Xs but before Uber Select came out occasionally you would end up in a super nice car, one time I was picked up in a Cayenne Turbo, the guy lived an an even nicer condo building than mine down the street from me and he said he just started driving for Uber because he was retired, bored and liked meeting new people.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Booblord Zagats posted:

If you're in Phoenix, it seriously is the best way to go drinking with friends

Yup DUIs are nothing to gently caress with

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Sir_Charles posted:

Yup DUIs are nothing to gently caress with

Not in this state for sure. Plus every Uber I have been in within the Phoenix metro area has been pretty clean and the drivers aren't chatty

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Three Olives posted:

Yeah there are some lovely Uber Xs but before Uber Select came out occasionally you would end up in a super nice car, one time I was picked up in a Cayenne Turbo, the guy lived an an even nicer condo building than mine down the street from me and he said he just started driving for Uber because he was retired, bored and liked meeting new people.

So like that stupid Scion commercial?

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

if you take a taxi more than twice a month you're an rear end in a top hat

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

Thats legit. Whats also legit is free bottles of water when you're drunk.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I went to a real city this year and had to take an uber after a movie. Some really gay German guys tried to convince me about past life experiences and souls and how he used to be a little black boy in Spain and he remembered it. Then I tried to make it somewhat scientific by saying maybe the molecules that make up consciousness and the soul just haven't been identified with and out decaying matter that get's recycled into the earth likewise get's recycled into new people somehow and they both gave a disapproving look. That's my uber story, I didn't get laid on that date either.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Also one time I was picked up by Uber X and the guy was like "Hey! What's up man? Do you remember me?" and it was a guy that I had hosed a few weeks earlier and never called back. Oops.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

i have uber and lyft credits but no where to go and no life or friends

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Nuclearmonkee posted:

don't worry regulation will catch up to them and they will probably have most of the same rules that taxi companies have to deal with.

They don't even need that to happen. If they're forced to allow drivers to set their own rates the plug will be pulled after a week.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

Also one time I was picked up by Uber X and the guy was like "Hey! What's up man? Do you remember me?" and it was a guy that I had hosed a few weeks earlier and never called back. Oops.

u sure that wasnt grindr

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

I had a chat with my uber driver about the royal family of jordan while drunk as poo poo last weekend. apparently its a good thing that the king's brother didn't become king

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Rutibex posted:

it's not an unlicensed taxi, you're just a sharing a ride

with someone you don't know

in a car they (frequently) don't own

explicitly for money

completely different you see

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 28, 2015

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
Once an uber driver rape/murders a middle class white woman and uber disappears off the face of the Earth forever these debates will seem so quaint.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Man who knew if you just ignored any kind of regulation about running a business or how to treat your employees you could make a ton of money, where'd these geniuses come from?

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Tender Bender posted:

Man who knew if you just ignored any kind of regulation about running a business or how to treat your employees you could make a ton of money, where'd these geniuses come from?

DISRUPT!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

1455 Market St
San Francisco, CA 94103

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
i took an uber once from home to work

indian guy

hit a curb in the parking lot at the office and was mortified

i was like its koo

thats my story

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Agag posted:

Once an uber driver rape/murders a middle class white woman and uber disappears off the face of the Earth forever these debates will seem so quaint.

Well here's a website (presumably funded by BIG TAXI) that catalogs that stuff, I guess none of it has had enough traction to get people fired up
http://www.whosdrivingyou.org/rideshare-incidents

Really though lol at how butthurt goons get about loving Uber of all things. I mean who gives a poo poo.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What the heck is uber? Some alternative taxi?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Zzulu posted:

What the heck is uber? Some alternative taxi?

people driving their car in the ground driving people around town like a taxi to earn $3/hr. after costs.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cab drivers are the scum of the earth, and I hope places like lyft and uber, despite being kinda shady themselves, wipe them out.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

it's giving a dude a ride not serving him a chicken sandwich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Excelzior posted:

it's not an unlicensed taxi, you're just a sharing a ride

with someone you don't know

in a car they (frequently) don't own

explicitly for money

completely different you see

i'm going to make an app called iPimp, it will connect horny men with slutty women and change a flat $150 fee (that is partially shared with the women). what they do once they meet up is their own business :twisted:

• Locked thread