Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Amorphous Blob posted:

theyre skipping 9 to make people feel like their windows is out of date by 2-3 generations

Another reason they skipped labeling it 9 is that a lot of legacy programs will look in...Something I dont loving know but they'll see that 9 and think its windows 95 or 98 and itll gently caress up a lot of stuff.

BUG JUG posted:

do you have windows 8? upgrade. do you have windows 7? upgrade. do you have windows xp? kill yourself.

Youre gonna need to give some really compelling reasons to switch off 7. It works perfectly fine as it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm staying in Windows 7 till theres a compelling reason to upgrade

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
windows 8 is considerably faster than 7, that's reason alone

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUEMo2u2LLQ

I'm not very good at this :/

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Dont know who that guy is but his name sounds like Satan Nutella, so im game.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Upgraded my surface pro because honestly it is not going to be worse than windows 8.1 now is it.
Desktop will probably remain on Windows 7 until the early 2020's

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
These days 8 really isnt as bad as people say in my experience, its easy enough to fix the stuff you dont like about it. 7 was my poo poo though loved that os

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sonofsilversign posted:

These days 8 really isnt as bad as people say in my experience, its easy enough to fix the stuff you dont like about it. 7 was my poo poo though loved that os

I got the Stardock Start8 for Windows 8.1 and it made it downright bearable. Gave it a start menu and removed the "hot corners". I'm still downloading Windows 10 right now though

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Tautologicus posted:

I got the Stardock Start8 for Windows 8.1 and it made it downright bearable. Gave it a start menu and removed the "hot corners". I'm still downloading Windows 10 right now though

same on all counts

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP

Tautologicus posted:

i didnt do any of that stuff cause im dumb with computers. i hate windows 8 for those reasons though.

maybe windows 10 will fix it?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
So in Tablet Mode there is no way to open the touchscreen keyboard for desktop programs, such as Firefox.

Lol

edit: found it. you need to specifically enable this basic required feature.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 29, 2015

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

i didnt do any of that stuff cause im dumb with computers. i hate windows 8 for those reasons though.

maybe windows 10 will fix it?

It did fix it, I was using the prerelease version for a bit. it's real good.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP

Tautologicus posted:

It did fix it, I was using the prerelease version for a bit. it's real good.

you're real good.

thank you friend.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
poo poo better be good but i feel as if disappointment is inevitable since win7 is the best os ever

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
annoyance is inevitable with this stupid download tool!!!! I downloaded it once and it disappeared..!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Hit windows key and the start menu comes up. Worth the upgrade.

RedLobster
Nov 19, 2010

Original Character
!DO NOT STEAL!
gently caress paying for a new OS get it while it's free

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

people who still use windows 7 since 8.1 came out are the real retards imo

well that's my opinion

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

im downloading windows 10 now to my microsoft surface pro 3 256 gb SSD 8 GB RAM i 5 tablet 2 in one laptop replacement device

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ethanol posted:

well that's my opinion

Good news: that HP ad you like is going to come back in style.

This one:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

popular doesn't mean good in fact it usually means bad

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

like george bush was the windows 7 of 2004

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Metro apps in a window! What a country!

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
The Holocaust happened by popular German demand.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
How long is the free upgrade thingy being offered I can't be arsed to gently caress with my computers in the summer.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

How long is the free upgrade thingy being offered I can't be arsed to gently caress with my computers in the summer.

it expires on jul 29

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

you've had the notification for months and you couldn't be half assed into pressing it for your upgrade. do it today before it's too late

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

posting from windows 10. ask me anything

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Eh gently caress it I'd rather just pay for it if I have to basically be forced to do it today.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

EvilJoven posted:

Eh gently caress it I'd rather just pay for it if I have to basically be forced to do it today.

July 29th..of next year.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

ethanol posted:

well that's my opinion

Yeah I'm an idiot for not spending money on Windows 8 and instead getting this completely free upgrade to Windows 7.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Yeah I'm an idiot
in this case u need a new computer too

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh. Neat. Early adoption is for suckers.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The Windows 8 upgrade was like $15 for the first six months or so.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

The Goatfather posted:

posting from windows 10. ask me anything

Is it gay?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

ethanol posted:

in this case u need a new computer too

While you edited my words I can't disagree with the content of that quote in general

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

texaholic posted:

Is it gay?

no

its actually really good. but everyone already knew that, because of the insider preview

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer

l33t b4c0n posted:

The Holocaust happened by popular German demand.

I hope they bring it back.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

ethanol posted:

it expires on jul 29
:kingsley:

Tautologicus posted:

July 29th..of next year.
Oh, is that true, because:

EvilJoven posted:

Oh. Neat. Early adoption is for suckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The Goatfather posted:

its actually really good. but everyone already knew that, because of the insider preview

yeah nobody seems to remember that previous preview programs were in still in shambles at rtm and everybody already knew not to upgrade

• Locked thread