Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Froglight
Oct 5, 2010

Tack-Teeth Jack: The famous Sheriff of the Sliver, had five daughters and no sons, and was shot to death by a map forger.

They called him Tack-Teeth Jack because his teeth, much like the ancient Tack empire, refused to give up and die. As black and rotten as they were, they still dangled from his gums and refused to admit that they were anything but perfectly situated and functioning teeth.

Despite being a gritty and "uneducated" folk hero, Tack-Tooth Jack's real name was Maribor Jackson, and he had made enough money in his hayday to give his wife and daughters a good and comfortable life, including an academy education for all of his girls.

Adda is 28, his first, and oddly rebellious for an eldest daughter. She had refused to accept her fathers' money for school, and denounced the authority of frontier law. Despite her free-spirited nature, she joined the military in a high minded attempt to get away from it all. She served four years as a frontier paramedic after failing her eyesight test for pilot school. She currently works as a waitress.

Nora was his second, barely a year younger than Adda. Nora was a natural athelete, but she always had trouble paying attention in classes. She is known by those who don't know her as the party girl of the family, and a morphine addict. She never had the way with words to express how absolutely ridiculous she found the world. While her classmates were trying to find out what they wanted to be when they grew up, she was hoping she could avoid that ordeal altogether. She was, at the time of her father's death, pretending to still be enrolled in school while working as a barmaid.

Myriana came third. Currently 24 years old, she was the quiet one, and even her own father could never put together a good description of her. She did alright in school and she liked animals. She became a veteranarian in an accelerated program. She is engaged to another veterinarian. Myriana is happy.

Yima, 22, was beautiful, and she was smart in all the ways that paid off. If Tack-Tooth Jack ever had a daughter worth showing off it was Yima. She took advantage of her birth in a way that none of her want-to-be outcast sisters did. She had no taste for drama or bullshit. She is an aspiring law student.

Kee is twelve. She has a higher IQ than any of her sisters at her age, but she is currently undergoing treatment for emotional instability after her father's violent death.

This is a story about Nora.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froglight
Oct 5, 2010

Tack-Teeth Jack prospered twelve years as a frontier sheriff.

That sentence maybe didn't impress you much, but that's just because you're ignorant.

Not to say that that's your fault or anything. We're all ignorant until we get taught, and that's what I'm here to help you with. Before you start reading this you maybe should know that I'm not a writer. I'm a hangman by trade, and yes I consider what I do a trade. It's not just hanging people. I assisted the sheriff as his chief deputy and I was the only certified tortureman under his command.

I'm not a hangman anymore though, I was Jack's hangman and I operated under his law enforcement license, but he's dead now and so are all my certifications.

I'm starting a new paragraph to say that there are two things you should know before we go any further. Jack was the greatest lawman this sector has ever seen, and he is dead now. His Last will and testament stated that I be the one tasked with both writing his biography, and locating his heir and replacement.

Jack and I grew up together, and in the beginning I was big and he was small, and the smartest thing I ever did was to decide that I liked him, and I maybe protected him a few times while we were still making GBS threads our pants. Jack was a good friend, and funny, and as we grew up he got sharp, and hard; and I still had my bigness.

----------------------------------------------

So imagine there's a planet. This planet is big; bigger than your idea of what a planet is, even bigger than that.

Imagine a planet without oceans; a planet that is 99% thirsty land. Still with a thousand times more water than your planet has.

Imagine revolver pistols and rifles and combustion engines and calculus and electricity and a planet only ten percent mapped, with an unconquerable sky, and a harsh and unforgiving frontier, where discovery is slow and massive leviathans and cannibal armies are less fantasy and more geographical discoveries.

Tack-Teeth Jack was one of the most prestiged lawmen alive, being one of only a thousand frontier sheriffs, watching over a full .1% of the Frontier; aka a Sliver. Specifically the Oxheart sliver.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I think you have all the backstory you need, so now imagine me as I currently am, sitting down at a table in probably the worst restaurant I've ever been too, preparing to offer my waitress her estranged father's job.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
I am really digging this so far. I like the voice of the narrator and overall feel of the piece quite a bit. Looking forward to the next installment.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
I like your Power Rangers story, too, but I really want to read more of this :( Can't you write both?

• Locked thread