Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

hurry boy she's waiting there for you!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yolomon Wayne posted:

This.
With teleport, you die and another being that is very similiar to you, but not you as such, appears.
Also how do they transfer mermory? Are there memory atoms?

That is pretty close to the subject of this short story:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_Like_a_Dinosaur

RennZero
Oct 10, 2007

"Get in."
Star Trek is actually the Matrix.

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.

Zzulu posted:

What happens if two redshirts step into the teleporter and beam into the exact same spot. Do they fuse? Do they explode?

See Tuvix

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Fun fact, Kenneth Biller was inspired to write "Tuvix" while eating a Twix bar that had melted together. His original conception for Tuvix was to have Tuvok and Neelix fused together side by side as a horrific monstrosity, but the prosthetics and makeup would have been to costly and also uncomfortable for the actors so they went with the "single being" thing instead.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Applewhite posted:

Counterpoint: if you were to make an exact atomic replica of you, you would not suddenly have access to that individual's subjective experience, even if he or she had all your memories.

Neither would your subjective experience travel to the exact duplicate if the original is destroyed.

Whether or not you believe in a soul, there's pretty strong evidence against the idea that an individual can "survive" being atomized even if you put them back together using the same atoms.

lol this is the most retarded thing

you in the past don't have ANY access to ANY of your future selves memories. and your brain doesn't reach through time using some extradimensional vortex to bless one collection of otherwise totally indistinguishable atoms as being the 'real' you from moment to moment, connecting past you to future you in some kind of glowy chronological umbilical cord. you can't feel time, your experience doesn't travel. there's no basis for believing that there is a physical 'experience' to travel. it's just memory state. the atoms composing your brain now are entirely separate from the ones now.

you feel like you because you have the memory of you at that moment, you're like a character in an emulated game. the emulator could pause, copy the state to a completely different hard drive or computer, wait a million years and resume and you wouldn't feel nothing, you're just the cycle now and the expectation that they'll be a future state is just wishful thinking totally unbacked by anything. we know this has to be the case because quantum mechanics demands this sort of poo poo happens literally all the time, and it double demands that atoms can't break uncertainty and general and special relativity just because they happen on some level to compose a system that believes itself to be sentient THAT DAY

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

chaosbreather posted:

lol this is the most retarded thing

you in the past don't have ANY access to ANY of your future selves memories. and your brain doesn't reach through time using some extradimensional vortex to bless one collection of otherwise totally indistinguishable atoms as being the 'real' you from moment to moment, connecting past you to future you in some kind of glowy chronological umbilical cord. you can't feel time, your experience doesn't travel. there's no basis for believing that there is a physical 'experience' to travel. it's just memory state. the atoms composing your brain now are entirely separate from the ones now.

you feel like you because you have the memory of you at that moment, you're like a character in an emulated game. the emulator could pause, copy the state to a completely different hard drive or computer, wait a million years and resume and you wouldn't feel nothing, you're just the cycle now and the expectation that they'll be a future state is just wishful thinking totally unbacked by anything. we know this has to be the case because quantum mechanics demands this sort of poo poo happens literally all the time, and it double demands that atoms can't break uncertainty and general and special relativity just because they happen on some level to compose a system that believes itself to be sentient THAT DAY

Subjective experience exists, though. It's pretty much the universe's only demonstrable certainty ("I think therefore I am"). Whatever Picard was thinking therefore amming when he stepped into the teleporter, a different one stepped out.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Applewhite posted:

Subjective experience exists, though. It's pretty much the universe's only demonstrable certainty ("I think therefore I am"). Whatever Picard was thinking therefore amming when he stepped into the teleporter, a different one stepped out.

holy crap one of the things aristotle proved with that inane tautology is you can't prove you have any connection to your past self

so yes, a different picard stepped out, much as a different picard woke up that morning and a different picard ordered tea, earl grey, hot

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

chaosbreather posted:

holy crap one of the things aristotle proved with that inane tautology is you can't prove you have any connection to your past self

so yes, a different picard stepped out, much as a different picard woke up that morning and a different picard ordered tea, earl grey, hot

So basically you admitting I'm right.

Also, Cogito Ergo Sum was Descartes.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think Picard ever once left the ship during Encounter at Farpoint, unless you count Q's weird courtroom.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ralp posted:

I don't think Picard ever once left the ship during Encounter at Farpoint, unless you count Q's weird courtroom.

Didn't he beam down to the planet to talk to the governor or something?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Applewhite posted:

So basically you admitting I'm right.

no your implication is that the transporter is destructive to consciousness when in fact the stasis effect it applies is far less destructive to consciousness than consciousness is

quote:

Also, Cogito Ergo Sum was Descartes.
which is a reformulation of being qua being which was aristotle

chaosbreather fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 30, 2015

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Applewhite posted:

Didn't he beam down to the planet to talk to the governor or something?

you mean the GROPPLER????

maybe i don't remember. I think it was always just riker & friends down on the planet though

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
What about the machine David Bowie built in "The Prestige"? Does that kill the original and render two new copies?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i remember reading somewhere he took the captain's yacht and it got canned because gene already tricked the studio into paying for the entire engineering set for the pilot and they weren't getting screwed twice so as a result they never got to be able to have the captains yacht in any further episodes despite it being in the blueprints and poo poo

BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001

ShaqDiesel posted:

What about the machine David Bowie built in "The Prestige"? Does that kill the original and render two new copies?

The Prestige isn't a scifi movie the machine never worked. http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196965

Also season one is awesome and underrated.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GUIDE TO RACES OF STAR TRIP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2XOLoeBPEk

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

racism

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

brizna posted:

The Prestige isn't a scifi movie the machine never worked. http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196965

:aaaaa:

naem
May 29, 2011

Applewhite posted:

Picard: Dato, use the beams

Dato: autism

Rick: *masturbates onto Troy's boobs*

ENGAGE

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
picard did meet with the groppler on the planet once.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

that klingon halfbreed went to the afterlife in that voyager episode and they never mentioned the transporter issue so i think you can rest assured that picard's soul still belongs to jesus

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
At first this thread was just shits and giggles now its all like "guess the pedo" amirite? :pedo:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Ddraig posted:

The idea that you die when you're remade in a teleporter is pretty stupid and pre-supposes there's some part of you that can't be broken down into a simple chemical process.

Consciousness is an illusion, our thoughts are merely chemical and electrical impulses imperfectly formed thanks to our fleshy parts. I'd assume they've reached the point where an exact 1:1 copy can be made, down to a molecular level, meaning that the question of whether or not you're the same person is akin to religious mumbo jumbo on whether or not there is a soul.

There isn't. It's the same person going in and coming out.

:tipfedora:

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Yolomon Wayne posted:

This.
With teleport, you die and another being that is very similiar to you, but not you as such, appears.
Also how do they transfer mermory? Are there memory atoms?

Also, if you break down the body into its atoms and send them somewhere to reform, you could basically take a backup at that time and simply restore "yourself" in case of death, in the condition the backup was taken.
Furthermore, you could alter the backup to give yourself a bigger dick or tits before restoring yourself a few dozen times.

In "Rogue Moon" by Algis Budrys {Published 1960), they do just this. They scan you and make a duplicate that is created in a special teleporter on the moon. A backup of the scan is stored in some sort of memory unit that can be used later on, if the original you dies. Both the original and the copy on the moon are mentally linked and so experience what the other feels. The copy on the moon has to do a bunch of dangerous stuff that will eventually get it killed. The original will feel it. Rinse and repeat. It takes a special person to not go bonkers after experiencing death a few times.

Good story.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
but your consciousness is uniterrupted

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

chaosbreather posted:

your philosophical thought experiments would not be much comfort when being told yeah you're going to be rent in pieces

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

brizna posted:

lol noone is gonna read this philosophy essay on a bastketball forum

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Ddraig posted:

The idea that you die when you're remade in a teleporter is pretty stupid and pre-supposes there's some part of you that can't be broken down into a simple chemical process.

Consciousness is an illusion, our thoughts are merely chemical and electrical impulses imperfectly formed thanks to our fleshy parts. I'd assume they've reached the point where an exact 1:1 copy can be made, down to a molecular level, meaning that the question of whether or not you're the same person is akin to religious mumbo jumbo on whether or not there is a soul.

There isn't. It's the same person going in and coming out.

This is correct...except the part about consciousness being an illusion. You wouldn't have been able to type that post if consciousness wasn't real.

BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001

Hammerite posted:

:boom:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Couldn't you just use the teleporter to send a copy of yourself down, and make disposable away teams? Weren't there 2 Rikers at one point?

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Roger Craig posted:

Couldn't you just use the teleporter to send a copy of yourself down, and make disposable away teams? Weren't there 2 Rikers at one point?

That was due to a teleporter accident

At the end of the episode he just goes on his merry way and they never mention him again. (in TNG)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Roger Craig posted:

Yes to both. And actually the second Riker went on to have his own successful career until he joined the Maquis.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Genetic condition that puts his ball wrinkles on his face.

its true. klingon balls are the smoothest in the galaxy

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Hammerite posted:

Hey it's a solid piece :colbert:

Interesting article on there about why sovereign citizens should be allowed to travel.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
we can do it, one atom at a time http://www.npr.org/sections/alltech...ampaign=science

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
OP is that one dude on crew who's afraid of the transporter. How cute.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ShaqDiesel posted:

Hey it's a solid piece :colbert:

Interesting article on there about why sovereign citizens should be allowed to travel.

I don't care if you're a sovereign citizen or not; everyone should have to dribble the ball when moving.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

*The telepathic thing between Troi and Ricker that appeared in the pilot was actually in the script for every episode, but removed during editing.

I believe in this one, and also I wanted more bonus Rikers, should have been a running gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
What if you bone a holo-hooker and turn off the holodeck after you finish (in her butt), does your cum appear midair and splash on the ground?

• Locked thread