Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opus111
Jul 6, 2014

what would you choose to do if this was an option? I will follow the advice of the gbs goon who replies with the psychological profile most similar to mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
I would develop a game and get it on steam and later explode at people on twitter and quit developing the sequel and cry a lot.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Learn a trade. It's apparently the only thing the government actually wants to help people with. At least in Canada. They give you money to become an electrician, and you can collect EI while going to school.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

i want to work in a suit. trades are out!!

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Sorry, but your life is pretty much over after 30 so I don't really see that happening.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Fredrik1 posted:

Sorry, but your life is pretty much over after 30 so I don't really see that happening.

sure my sex and social lives are, but my professional one????

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Have you considered working in the same field, but becoming more embittered as your dreams die in front of you?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
That or lecturing on whatever you did for like 5-10 years at a mid-range university desperately in need of new blood.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

jBrereton posted:

Have you considered working in the same field, but becoming more embittered as your dreams die in front of you?

no, I am a cheerful guy and motivated by fresh challenge, hence my fourth impending career change (but first one while past 30). I think this has to be my last one, so it has to be a good fit. This is why I am consulting the wise men of gbs.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

opus111 posted:

high-class gigolo

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

opus111 posted:

sure my sex and social lives are, but my professional one????

maybe they can take you back to the past

to play the lovely games that suck rear end

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
um, i shoot birds at the airport

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
assuming I'm financially secure? be a dive instructor somewhere where its warm year round

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he'll never go back to work!

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
1) fulfill a long-standing dream of yours

OR

2) try and get in on some lucrative, up-n-coming job opportunity

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'll prob become THE Papa Roach cover band cover singer

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Hamburglar

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
honestly yeah if you have the chance and you think its a good fit do it

I work to live anyway. I just do a good job every day so i can go gently caress around the rest of the time. whatever will make that happen with the greatest of ease (as long as i'm not selling other people out) is what i'd go with

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
BORN TO FISH
Forced To Work

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

honestly yeah if you have the chance and you think its a good fit do it

I work to live anyway. I just do a good job every day so i can go gently caress around the rest of the time. whatever will make that happen with the greatest of ease (as long as i'm not selling other people out) is what i'd go with

its a good philosophy but one of the reasons that i keep changing jobs is that as soon as my daily routine gets easy i start to resent it, you know? im not a workaholic by any means but i need to stay stimulated.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
yeah i feel ya. I think that's just part of the modern human existence. which sucks.

you just gotta get a job that is different every day. Like maybe underwater salvage diving??

real_slime
Apr 21, 2015

by Lowtax

opus111 posted:

its a good philosophy but one of the reasons that i keep changing jobs is that as soon as my daily routine gets easy i start to resent it, you know? im not a workaholic by any means but i need to stay stimulated.

yeah i do this and generally end up regretting it cos then i need to scramble to figure out something else to do when i'm not loving around. i'm in the midst of that right now. it's hard. but i'll get over it, chill out and figure something out eventually.

i'm 26, and i don't really have a career yet cos i'm one of those fucks who did an arts degree, so sometimes i think if i were to do it over again i'd learn web design or coding and make my money that way. that's probably a smart way ahead from where i am now but i haven't committed to anything yet.

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
My other car is a wage slave

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Professional Quarterback

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

opus111 posted:

Maitre d.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Become a quack doctor who prescribes weed for everything

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I am 36 and quit my job to go to school full time in CS/Mathematics. Prior to this I was a systems engineer. I am hoping to continue on to a PhD concentrating on machine learning or computational biology. I think it is a good idea. If I had to choose just one major, I would say math is way more important as it is sort of the toolset that you can use in all the hard sciences.

You should do that.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Demonachizer posted:

I am 36 and quit my job to go to school full time in CS/Mathematics. Prior to this I was a systems engineer. I am hoping to continue on to a PhD concentrating on machine learning or computational biology. I think it is a good idea. If I had to choose just one major, I would say math is way more important as it is sort of the toolset that you can use in all the hard sciences.

I'm afraid that maths isn't one of my strong suits. If it were, I'd be pursuing a career in pure mathematics right now. I've been thinking about law, but whew, what a commitment!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Arian_Samurai posted:

Become a quack doctor who prescribes weed for everything

the only thing with this is you actually gotta be a real dr, as in 8+ years of school and probably half a million of debt to get to the point where you could even consider recommending a drug that the federal govt considers as dangerous as heroin.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

opus111 posted:

I'm afraid that maths isn't one of my strong suits. If it were, I'd be pursuing a career in pure mathematics right now. I've been thinking about law, but whew, what a commitment!

study math anyway dude. I was so so so SO bad at it before I went back to school and I had to study long and hard but I went through literally every calculus course I could and then got my bachelors in astrophysics

it's so worth it, it's basically the tools you need to understand the universe

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

opus111 posted:

I honestly think that anyone can learn enough math through hard work. It is one of those weird fields that people just convince themselves is impossible unless you have some natural talent but it is totally not true.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

study math anyway dude. I was so so so SO bad at it before I went back to school and I had to study long and hard but I went through literally every calculus course I could and then got my bachelors in astrophysics

it's so worth it, it's basically the tools you need to understand the universe

i agree with your statement, i love the idea of maths, but it just doesn't 'stick' in my head very well. I actually bought a huge text book that goes through the whole course at GCSE level (16 years old in the UK), and worked through it during my downtime at my old job. I could understand the concepts while I was studying them, but as soon as i moved onto the next section i forgot it all. It was the subject I did the worst at when i was that age.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

If you are an academic your career has barely even started by the time you hit 30, and your debt makes it impossible to prioritise something like fulfilment or happiness.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to marry a wealthy dowager

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
gonna be an entrepreneur and i'm gonna open up an internet themed restaurant where you can shitpost while you eat

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
for what it's worth, I was like completely unable to teach myself math out of a book when I began at the college level. it took some drat good teachers to get me to understand calc I, because holy poo poo the books we used in high school were so confusing.

We actually had a pamphlet for my calc I class in college (yeah I retook it when I went to uni) that was written by the head professor in the department instead of a textbook (he also wrote our diffeq "book") and that combined with good teaching is what got me over the first hump. Once you understand how to use and manipulate the basics (derivates/anti-derivatives) everything else comes easy.

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED

Zzulu posted:

gonna be an entrepreneur and i'm gonna open up an internet themed restaurant where you can shitpost while you eat

5'd guys

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

for what it's worth, I was like completely unable to teach myself math out of a book when I began at the college level. it took some drat good teachers to get me to understand calc I, because holy poo poo the books we used in high school were so confusing.

We actually had a pamphlet for my calc I class in college (yeah I retook it when I went to uni) that was written by the head professor in the department instead of a textbook (he also wrote our diffeq "book") and that combined with good teaching is what got me over the first hump. Once you understand how to use and manipulate the basics (derivates/anti-derivatives) everything else comes easy.

its a long shot, but do you know of any website that would serve in teh same way? I just opened my textbook and immediately my eyes starting sliding around as though the pages were made of ice.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
have you thought about becoming a pilot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

opus111 posted:

its a long shot, but do you know of any website that would serve in teh same way? I just opened my textbook and immediately my eyes starting sliding around as though the pages were made of ice.

http://betterexplained.com/

• Locked thread