Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014

Wall Balls posted:

this is the saddest thread

Andrew_1985 posted:

I absolutely love watching Hoarders and revelling in watching their completely demented worldview of hoarding crumble over the hour. 'I need that rock! I NEED IT!' Plus the appeal of seeing tons of stuff hauled out from their stanky houses.

Best thread.

As for Hoarders, one of my favourite moments is the food hoarding lady who eats some nondescript black goo that's been in her fridge for YEARS and she's all 'It's like candy!' To the disgust of everyone involved.

this is the saddest best thread
:yum:

bikesonyx fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheezer
Apr 4, 2011
Is it hoarding if you never take out the rubbish? Like literally never, so that it is piled ankle to knee-high depending on the room? Is it called hoarding if you kinda just allow your cats to make litters up to the point that you no longer have the heart to put down / later flush the kittens so that you end up with over a dozen pet cats in an apartment? Just asking, looking back at things.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
There was a guy who said over and over he and his wife were antique collectors, and then you'd go in the house and it was just TONS of junk. Like you couldn't move about the house properly because they had a bunch of junk.

Antiques is just another word for junk.

I bet every person on that Antiques Road Show are horders that are able to function in social situations.

BeepBoopBatman
Apr 21, 2008
The therapists on Hoarders have got to be some of the most patient people on earth. The only time I recall the one female therapist getting upset was when this crazy old lady had about two dozen cats and kittens in her freezer and pulled them out to hug sometimes :barf:

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Jastiger posted:

There was a guy who said over and over he and his wife were antique collectors, and then you'd go in the house and it was just TONS of junk. Like you couldn't move about the house properly because they had a bunch of junk.

Antiques is just another word for junk.

I bet every person on that Antiques Road Show are horders that are able to function in social situations.

I've been through several antique stores piled high with assortments of everything under the sun. I swear these people just raid thrift stores and yard sales to amass their horde of "treasure". They have little pathways throughout the building and rarely have anything priced. They have a false sense of value for each item and greatly overprice things I guess in order to keep them. I doubt they actually make a living off selling antiques. There's a few in Western Massachusetts that's really bad - one where the paths are so narrow that fatties can't get through.

There's another west of Cambridge, NY where there's mice droppings loving everywhere and the guy is crazed. He's an outhouse digger and loots them for his horde of bottles and bits of rustly broken things.

The best one is in Fair Haven, VT which is in this guy's home. There's stacks in every room including the kitchen and his bedroom. He has over 10,000 corkscrews, over 100,000 postcards, tens of thousands in books and who the gently caress knows how many ceramics, glassware, etc. What makes this guy actually stand out is that his antiques are actually really good - he's sitting on a massive fortune, but has no means nor ability to part with it. My wife did get a nice Weller vase off of him, but most stuff was really overpriced. I believe the guy came from money and/or inherited it and added over the years. He had rows of violins and other music instruments and stacks upon stacks of classic board games as well. Apparently he does sell on eBay, but he needs several lifetimes to move all his wares.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

lol table sleeping

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

I spy a couple hundred dollars in deposits.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I think this one might just be a slob, not a hoarder.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Liquid Chicken posted:

I've been through several antique stores piled high with assortments of everything under the sun. I swear these people just raid thrift stores and yard sales to amass their horde of "treasure". They have little pathways throughout the building and rarely have anything priced. They have a false sense of value for each item and greatly overprice things I guess in order to keep them. I doubt they actually make a living off selling antiques. There's a few in Western Massachusetts that's really bad - one where the paths are so narrow that fatties can't get through.

There's another west of Cambridge, NY where there's mice droppings loving everywhere and the guy is crazed. He's an outhouse digger and loots them for his horde of bottles and bits of rustly broken things.

The best one is in Fair Haven, VT which is in this guy's home. There's stacks in every room including the kitchen and his bedroom. He has over 10,000 corkscrews, over 100,000 postcards, tens of thousands in books and who the gently caress knows how many ceramics, glassware, etc. What makes this guy actually stand out is that his antiques are actually really good - he's sitting on a massive fortune, but has no means nor ability to part with it. My wife did get a nice Weller vase off of him, but most stuff was really overpriced. I believe the guy came from money and/or inherited it and added over the years. He had rows of violins and other music instruments and stacks upon stacks of classic board games as well. Apparently he does sell on eBay, but he needs several lifetimes to move all his wares.

Dang.

I saw one where they kept old newspapers, just crates and crates of newspapers. They had stairs up to the second floor and the entire left side of the staircase, landing and all, was just crates of old newspapers. They weren't ordered so it wasn't like you could say "poo poo! What happened on April 3rd 1974?! Who won the local game!?", nope. You'd just have to hope it was in there. The kitchen was nothing but ceremics piled high. Just tons of glassware and ceramic kitchenware piled on a table about 3 and a half feet high, balanced precariously, but relatively safe because no one really moved around in there and it seemed to have settled into place.

The thing was, the place was relatively clean and kept up. The pathways were vacuumed and there wasn't filth everywhere...it was just old and sad.
Who knows what was behind/under that stuff, or in the basement.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

This has a happy ending though. The goon clean up the house, got his poo poo together, and got the kid back.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Orgophlax posted:

This has a happy ending though. The goon clean up the house, got his poo poo together, and got the kid back.

Why is that the "happy" ending?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Germstore posted:

I could never watch hoarders. I know all reality shows are basically mental illness tourism, but hoarders is just on another level.

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014
"For the crew's safety, Cory asks Ricky to remove the poop bucket from the house before they begin moving items to the backyard"

love on the cheap
Aug 5, 2008

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Andrew_1985 posted:

I absolutely love watching Hoarders and revelling in watching their completely demented worldview of hoarding crumble over the hour. 'I need that rock! I NEED IT!' Plus the appeal of seeing tons of stuff hauled out from their stanky houses.

Best thread.

As for Hoarders, one of my favourite moments is the food hoarding lady who eats some nondescript black goo that's been in her fridge for YEARS and she's all 'It's like candy!' To the disgust of everyone involved.

I saw an episode where the woman was just obsessed with clothes hangers. She had piles and piles of clothes, four feet tall off the ground, and clothes hangers just sort of thrown on top, and she would scream at her daughter if she touched any of the hangers, out of fear she would throw them away,

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Watching this on hoarders, its good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpgLxe9dHmw

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

It's weird, the American version is more openly "let's stare at the freaks", but that somehow makes it seem less exploitative?

PsionicAnt
Jul 16, 2001

boom boom boom posted:

I saw an episode where the woman was just obsessed with clothes hangers. She had piles and piles of clothes, four feet tall off the ground, and clothes hangers just sort of thrown on top, and she would scream at her daughter if she touched any of the hangers, out of fear she would throw them away,

lol she actually kicked her daughter out the house at like 16 cuz she threw away some of her hangers

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

Angela Christine posted:

I think this one might just be a slob, not a hoarder.

Don't judge that table; it looks broken by life.

Tyrannosword
Sep 15, 2006

Fallen Rib

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I spy Hitler catte.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

:captainpop:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

You guys ever watch American Pickers? Two guys make a living off of hoarding.

The show itself is just awful, but these two guys drive around looking for barns and old warehouses and properties just chock full of :airquote:antiques:airquote: and :airquote:knick-knacks:airquote: and :airquote:nostalgic memorabilia:airquote: that is really just rusty old piece of poo poo junk from yesteryear, but the old people that own it and hoarded it all these decades think it's worth something just because it's old.

Some old folks really do have some cool poo poo that is rare and worth something, but 99% of the poo poo they've hoarded in barns and around their property isn't even worth the time and effort to haul it away as scrap, but it's old so MOTHERFUCKING CHA-CHING!

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

naem
May 29, 2011

One hoarder ep was a guy who had filled several ACRES with junk. Like, filled a small house completely, slept in a camper thing, and drove around picking up random junk thinking copper or whatever might be valuable.

He was well off and retired and his fam were worried and hadn't been to his place in a while, didn't realize how bad the situation was before the camera crew showed up, and they pulled into this several acre horror maze of stuff piled 6 feet high in all directions.

Also he admitted he had no working bathroom and just found a quiet spot in the junk maze

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Honestly I can't

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

I like the fact that he's using those things as curtains, so everyone in the neighborhood can see the faint reversed images of anime girls.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

lmao

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
also thanks thread I'm going to go clean my garage now and probably make a run to goodwill tomorrow

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Wowzer

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

the best hoarder I ever saw was one who wrapped up their turds in newspaper and stacked them in a room they had to keep all their turds

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

david... posted:

the best hoarder I ever saw was one who wrapped up their turds in newspaper and stacked them in a room they had to keep all their turds

stares longingly at turd before wrapping in newspaper and exclaiming "PERFECT IN EVERY WAY!"

salut pussy sensei
Aug 20, 2014

consider my fond childhood memories of studying I Spy books for hours on end completely ruined. thanks op.
:barf:

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
I like this thread because it makes my wallow look clean by comparison. Thank you OP if you need a character reference chirp me back.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Hoarders cured me of any desire to get any pet that doesn't live in a tank.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

fyodor posted:

stares longingly at turd before wrapping in newspaper and exclaiming "PERFECT IN EVERY WAY!"

i wish i could find a video of it there was a whole room stacked floor to ceiling with individually wrapped turds

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Because nothing good I do can last and it's only a matter of time before I get another probation for racism, I'm going to close the thread in the next day or so and compile all of the contributions into a pdf for everyone. Try to get any last submissions in by then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

szary
Mar 12, 2014
My grandfather was a hoarder, luckily he was the organised type. He had piles of stuff in his apartment, everything neatly sorted and labelled - nuts and bolts of various types and sizes, each type and size in its own small box, newspapers arranged by date, toy trains, books nobody ever read, samples of chemical substances (like loving mercury) he had (I assume) stolen from his job at the local power plant. He kept accumulating that stuff in his bedroom until there was no more space and he had to sleep in the living room.

• Locked thread