Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/gold-is-only-going-to-get-worse/ar-AAdErAH?ocid=iehp

Link this article to all of your idiot friends/family who advocate a gold standard.

Also: is there an opposite version of the "it's happening" gif where it's not happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Sounds like it's a great time to start investing in gold before it picks up. Going to change my 401k to 100% gold I think

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Good, time to make some fuckin jewelry. Ostentatious 24k rings, here I come!

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
The gold I own has lost like 100k in value from its peak lol. I didn't buy it at that price (didn't buy it at all).

I don't really pay attention to the prices so thanks for the heads up OP.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Thx!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
My mother in law was talking about buying like 10K worth of gold and I was like, "don't do it." I wonder if she did it.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
smoke weed

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Germstore posted:

My mother in law was talking about buying like 10K worth of gold and I was like, "don't do it." I wonder if she did it.

It's only worth like $6k now lol.

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

Demonachizer posted:

The gold I own has lost like 100k in value from its peak lol. I didn't buy it at that price (didn't buy it at all).

I don't really pay attention to the prices so thanks for the heads up OP.

Hold on to it, it's going to go up in September. I saw someone post that on 4chan so I'm pretty sure it's true

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nagato posted:

Hold on to it, it's going to go up in September. I saw someone post that on 4chan so I'm pretty sure it's true

How do the goldfans reconcile their "Gold never depreciates in value" rhetoric with the objectively demonstrable fact that it obviously does?

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
i cant remember what you did to annoy me, boniface, but you are on my ignore list now hth

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

TwoFire posted:

i cant remember what you did to annoy me, boniface, but you are on my ignore list now hth

Wtf

unassertive boy 99
Dec 7, 2014

by Ralp
You just scored front seats in my ignore list, bitch

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

srsly you didn't know?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Nagato posted:

I am not planning on selling it. It just sort of sits in a bank box so technically it costs me money every year because of the rent. Probably will give it to my kids or grandkids.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Is "buying gold" like one of those dogwhistle racism things where secretly everyone who's buying gold bars wishes it were Nazi gold?

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
that'd make it jew gold

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I hope the Planetary Resources guys mine all the asteroids and make one super asteroid out of pure gold and then point it at the Earth and coat an entire city in molten gold.

unassertive boy 99
Dec 7, 2014

by Ralp
Lowtax is one of the richest man of the internet alive, who can buy much gold

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Germstore posted:

I hope the Planetary Resources guys mine all the asteroids and make one super asteroid out of pure gold and then point it at the Earth and coat an entire city in molten gold.

I totally think that over time the value of "precious" metals is bound to drop due to extra-terrestrial sources.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

This is pretty good because u can't buy spell books with dollars wizards only accept good which is super backwards and effed but I can't really do anything about it

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Gold investors can't decide if the best thing about gold is that it's a stable investment that always goes up, or that it's so unstable that you can make a lot of money buying low and selling high. But surely, the best thing of all is that suckers will buy this poo poo.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCXQycyN_Vs

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Congrats to TwoFire for having the most prestigious regdate on the forums.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Applewhite posted:

Congrats to TwoFire for having the most prestigious regdate on the forums.

do you remember when we could PAY for a 9/11 regdate? it was loving crazy.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

TwoFire posted:

do you remember when we could PAY for a 9/11 regdate? it was loving crazy.

Oh. No I didn't remember that.
I take back my accolades.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
its ok boniface i still like you (regdate was in 2005 fwiw)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Applewhite posted:

How do the goldfans reconcile their "Gold never depreciates in value" rhetoric with the objectively demonstrable fact that it obviously does?

goal posts move on what they are comparing the value to. You get literal posts about how it doesn't matter how US dollar moved and you need to compare it to roman wine to see it's stable.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

TwoFire posted:

its ok boniface i still like you (regdate was in 2005 fwiw)

Wait why are you calling me Boniface?

Were you talking to me earlier when you said "Boniface" was on your ignore list or do you just call everyone Boniface?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I bet those Glenn Beck style scams will continue running unabated since they weren't selling an investment but rather the fantasy of surviving the collapse of a society that unfairly undervalues being fat and stupid.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Applewhite posted:

Were you talking to me earlier when you said "Boniface" was on your ignore list or do you just call everyone Boniface?

are u a helldump superstar?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Applewhite posted:

Is "buying gold" like one of those dogwhistle racism things where secretly everyone who's buying gold bars wishes it were Nazi gold?

I think it's more like the prepper types who believe society is going to crumble and somehow their gold coins will still be useful currency. There is a subset that's racist about it though, like the downfall of society will be race war related or something.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Darth123123 posted:

are u a helldump superstar?

No helldump was before my time, sry.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

I'm waiting for one of those places that sells gold bars to octogenarians to be hacked and the names and addresses of people dumb enough to keep thousands of dollars of gold in their closet to be in the hands of Russian mobsters. That free, flimsy safe they got from the gold place is probably just the right size for a couple of strong guys to carry out their entire life savings worth of gold in one trip.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Applewhite posted:

because you are boniface

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

TwoFire posted:

because you are boniface

Like the pope?

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Applewhite posted:

Like the pope?

hey now i didn't call you a kiddy diddler i just called you boniface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I told people buying gold was dum in the finance investing thread once upon a time and then got probated. Hope that dum mod is underwater with his gold atm

• Locked thread