Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
Chapter 14 (Part 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5SbKh9oYZg

Pokemon is a sweet, optimistic series about making friends. It features cute creatures, bright colors, and nothing that would upset young children.

New music this update:

In the Future

Planet's Paralysis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorthByNorthwest
Oct 9, 2012

How Ingratiating! posted:

Chapter 14 (Part 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5SbKh9oYZg

Pokemon is a sweet, optimistic series about making friends. It features cute creatures, bright colors, and nothing that would upset young children.

New music this update:

In the Future

Planet's Paralysis

:suspense:

I'm loving the new video format so far, and I'm looking forward to the next update!

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Chapter 14: Into the Future (Part 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6SZliLX6lc

Team America is on the lam. It's a familiar scenario to PMD Red/Blue players, aside from the whole "forced into a dark, post-apocalyptic future" thing.

New music this update:

Chasm Cave

Dark Hill

In the Hands of Fate

Sealed Ruin

Sealed Ruin Pit

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Finally a Ghost or Dark pokemon main character that isnt evi--oh.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
This game had a lot of good points. The repetitiveness could be forgiven because the story, soundtrack, and variety of characters to use (advantage of a Pokemon game) are all pretty drat good for what the game is. Probably one of my favorite games for DS, and it holds my interest better than the main series.

I was fairly disappointed in the sequel for 3DS though, and I can't put my finger on why.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Colgate posted:

This game had a lot of good points. The repetitiveness could be forgiven because the story, soundtrack, and variety of characters to use (advantage of a Pokemon game) are all pretty drat good for what the game is. Probably one of my favorite games for DS, and it holds my interest better than the main series.

I was fairly disappointed in the sequel for 3DS though, and I can't put my finger on why.

Despite the new cool things Gates to Infinity added, it also took out a ton of quality-of-life things from previous PMD games. I chalked it up to a rushed release, and underestimation of the 3DS's abilities, the bane of every game released near a console's launch. It didn't lose all its charm for me, though, as the soundtrack is excellent, and the characters are still enjoyable.

Super Pokemon Mystery Dungeon releases in North America Next month, though. And it's apparently going to be better than every previous PMD game combined!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Despite the new cool things Gates to Infinity added, it also took out a ton of quality-of-life things from previous PMD games. I chalked it up to a rushed release, and underestimation of the 3DS's abilities, the bane of every game released near a console's launch. It didn't lose all its charm for me, though, as the soundtrack is excellent, and the characters are still enjoyable.

Super Pokemon Mystery Dungeon releases in North America Next month, though. And it's apparently going to be better than every previous PMD game combined!

It also lost a bit of power in its shift from 2D sprites to 3D renders similar to the WiiWare games America never got. The entire dungeonset ended up looking bland and uninspired because of that, which hampered the gameplay since that's about 90% of what you're staring at for most of the game.

A decent number of lost quality-of-life things were also intentional tweaks to existing systems, though - abandoning Gummis and the IQ system (and the hunger system, for the most part) in exchange for chest-based Team Skills, as an example. Was it better? Hell no. But they were trying to do it.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
This turn of events was quite surprising, but, only because they took so long to get to it that I thought they were playing it straight.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Definitely enjoying this LP, along with my non-goon boyfriend who is watching along with me. Taught me a few things already that I didn't know about the game (like how egg pokemon are flat out better than recruited ones, the marowak gym advancing days, and that psyduck is super useful)

It seems like the protagonist tries to be a silent protagonist, but they break that quite a few times, in having constant inner monologues.

By the way, will you eventually be showing off the challenge scenarios (forget what they were actually called, it's been awhile)?

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Colgate posted:

By the way, will you eventually be showing off the challenge scenarios (forget what they were actually called, it's been awhile)?

If you mean Sky's special episodes, then yes, most definitely. I've mentally scheduled when they're going to appear.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
I will continue to defend GtI because it made a lot of my favorite pokemon even better (shoutouts to friendly, adorable, totally not evil Dark-types) and giving exp to all party members is literally the best quality of life mechanic an RPG can offer. :colbert:
also some arguments about hunger being bad in pmd and iq vs team skills. GtI definitely has problems. I'm hella looking forward to Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, curious how they handle mechanics and how adorable all of the pokemon are.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

While I work on the next video, Pokedex entries for Dusknoir:

The antenna on its head captures radio waves from the world of spirits that command it to take people there.

This feared Pokémon is said to travel to worlds unknown. Some even believe that it takes lost spirits along with it.

[X]

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Benach posted:

(shoutouts to friendly, adorable, totally not evil Dark-types)

Man, I completely forgot about that. Gates to Infinity has at least two dark-type major characters and one minor character that actually aren't evil or antagonistic in the slightest.

Another sign that for all it did wrong, GtI did a bunch of stuff right.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

It's been six years since this game was released.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Chapter 15: The Secret of the Planet's Paralysis (Part 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJljoVhZKAI

Grovyle drops some truth bombs. Babar is Not Okay with it.

New Music This Update:

Dusk Forest

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Finally a Ghost or Dark pokemon main character that isnt evi--oh.

I think my response to this revelation was "gently caress YOUUUUUUUUU"

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
Ghosts are simultaneous the best and the worst in pmd. In addition to being able to walk literally anywhere, something that is not the most obvious from the video, there are very few attacks that will hit somebody who is in a wall, whereas pokemon who are inside a wall can attack out just fine. It's the one use for rocks (besides selling for hundreds of pennies).
Of course, this also applies to your pokemon. Which is incredibly powerful, but also can go horribly awry.

Roro posted:

I think my response to this revelation was "gently caress YOUUUUUUUUU"

Hey, Babar's not giving up hope! What if the ghost from the apocalyptic future who brought you to the apocalypse and tried to murder you and is now hunting you down is actually a great guy with good reasons? Surely, the pokemon who saved you multiple times is lying about Dusknoir's intentions, the world as it is, primal dialga, "trying to save the world" and whatever other nonesense that thief is spouting.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

This is the most Castlevania thing a non-castlevania thing can get.

Im honestly astounded.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Benach posted:

Ghosts are simultaneous the best and the worst in pmd. In addition to being able to walk literally anywhere, something that is not the most obvious from the video, there are very few attacks that will hit somebody who is in a wall, whereas pokemon who are inside a wall can attack out just fine. It's the one use for rocks (besides selling for hundreds of pennies).
Of course, this also applies to your pokemon. Which is incredibly powerful, but also can go horribly awry.

Hey, Babar's not giving up hope! What if the ghost from the apocalyptic future who brought you to the apocalypse and tried to murder you and is now hunting you down is actually a great guy with good reasons? Surely, the pokemon who saved you multiple times is lying about Dusknoir's intentions, the world as it is, primal dialga, "trying to save the world" and whatever other nonesense that thief is spouting.

I meant more the fact that an apparently good ghost type turned out evil. loving stereotyping!

As for the wall walking, there's a distinct downside. Turns out being all ghostly and poo poo is hungry work! Your hunger meter depletes much faster when you walk through walls than when you walk on paths.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Roro posted:

As for the wall walking, there's a distinct downside. Turns out being all ghostly and poo poo is hungry work! Your hunger meter depletes much faster when you walk through walls than when you walk on paths.

In particular, I forget the exact numbers for walking around normally (It's less than 1/turn, but I can't remember how much less), but I know using any PP-consuming move (which is to say, any non-default attack) burns 1 Belly, and using any linked moves burns 2.

Any action in a wall burns 5 per turn.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 18, 2015

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
I'm tempted blab on about how ghosts work and how it's busted, how food is awful in most of the dungeons and GtI handles this differently (maybe better?) and oh my goodness kecleon etc. I'll just say that I do not give a flipping gently caress about my belly when I've reached the point where I can be a ghost.
The part that goes horribly awry is if you have non-ghost partners along with ghosts.

Also, I forgot to mention in the previous post. I play with the top screen map, but also with the bottom screen clear map. It's nice to be able to see the map and icons while still looking at what's in front of you, though the clear map does blend a lot with the scenery (and the shaded map just blocks your view.) I wish the top screen text log option showed your party stats, I would probably swap between this and map view in areas where the clear map is distinct enough.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Chapter 15: The Secret of the Planet's Paralysis (Part 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=synOFzieD6k

Time to meet a new character! This episode's a good one to watch fullscreen, by the way.

New music this update:

Deep Dusk Forest

The Power of Darkness

True Intentions

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I like how Dialga was just parked up there the whole time and didn't move without Dusknoir saying something.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
I love how stupid everything is. "I'll use my time travelling powers to help us get to the time travel portal" "poo poo! Quick, use your anti-time travelling powers to anti-time travel them" "Oh no, we've only managed to time travel about 5 meters closer to the portal!". Not to mention the huge reveal of the main character. Which iirc never addresses the biggest questions of how is a human in the pokemon world.

I never realized that Grimer Traps could not affect your items when activated by a partner. I must've been fooled by the fact they can activate Sticky Traps (and never noticed they always only sticky their held items.)

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Chapter 16: A New Dawn (Part 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuGRA0sZWwg

The first video for this chapter is pure cutscene and backstory. Because we all want to learn more about Impatient Asparagus and Pink Lemonade Jellybean.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

I always felt so loving bad for Grovyle at this point. He's spent however long worrying over his partner, struggling to fulfill their mission and trying to evade Dusknoir, and then he find his best friend schmoozing with some rando and the enemy. Didn't help that when I first played the game I hated him till this point, but now I just feel sorry for him :(

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Roro posted:

I always felt so loving bad for Grovyle at this point. He's spent however long worrying over his partner, struggling to fulfill their mission and trying to evade Dusknoir, and then he find his best friend schmoozing with some rando and the enemy. Didn't help that when I first played the game I hated him till this point, but now I just feel sorry for him :(

Even worse, plot-convenient amnesia makes it impossible for Grovyle's partner to reciprocate those feelings. :smith:

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
Not to mention living for however much time(un-time?) in the apocalypse.

Also, I hope you have prepared for Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon's release on the 20th. I hope this LP doesn't suddenly halt for mysterious reasons, especially now of all times.

Benach fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 1, 2015

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Even worse, plot-convenient amnesia makes it impossible for Grovyle's partner to reciprocate those feelings. :smith:

"Oh Michael, my best friend, I'm so glad to see your face!!"
".............."

Grovyle :(

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Benach posted:

Not to mention living for however much time(un-time?) in the apocalypse.

Also, I hope you have prepared for Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon's release on the 20th. I hope this LP doesn't suddenly halt for mysterious reasons, especially now of all times.

You know it's gonna stop dead in its tracks while I unlock every Jukebox track, so I can give proper ID3 tags to whatever gameripped soundtrack I can find off NicoVideo. I just hope it isn't a complete rear end to do it this time, like it was with Gates To Infinity.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013

You know it's gonna stop dead in its tracks while I unlock every Jukebox track, so I can give proper ID3 tags to whatever gameripped soundtrack I can find off NicoVideo. I just hope it isn't a complete rear end to do it this time, like it was with Gates To Infinity.

Unless, for some reason, you're planning to not do one of the first/easiest post-game dungeons or any of the extra stories. Which is the entirety of the requirements. I had unlocked it with all of the tracks without even realizing there were unlocking requirements.
Glad to hear Super isn't going to stop it, though.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Benach posted:

Unless, for some reason, you're planning to not do one of the first/easiest post-game dungeons or any of the extra stories. Which is the entirety of the requirements. I had unlocked it with all of the tracks without even realizing there were unlocking requirements.
Glad to hear Super isn't going to stop it, though.

PMD Sky's Jukebox is effortless to fill out, yes. I took care of tagging that rip years ago. :v: When I said "Jukebox" in my post, I meant Super's, and I've been avoiding spoilers for that game, so I don't know its requirements yet. Or what the music player's actually called this time.

As for GtI, I couldn't complete the Musical Paradise track list until I'd maxed out my Paradise Rank at Perfect. Which meant stabbing Ho-oh to death. Over, and over, for 99,999 ranking points. Because the information wasn't anywhere else at the time.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Chapter 16: A New Dawn (Part 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=634UsieQQJA

The team returns to the scene of Grovyle's first crime.

New music this update:

Treeshroud Forest

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Chapter 17: The Guild's Crew (Part 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIvQyOTF3QQ

Michael and Babar finally come out of hiding. Wigglytuff's Guild is a family guild.

Also, as of yesterday, it has been 10 years since PMD Red/Blue Rescue Team's original release.

So here's a re-orchestrated cover of the File Select theme.

Reimou
Jan 20, 2015
Man, Chatot is hella unlikeable. How does he keep his job?

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Reimou posted:

By obeying the Guildmaster, of course. Or else. :unsmigghh:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

To be fair to Chatot (as much of a prick as he acts), Dusknoir spent a lot of time in the world making himself out to be the good guy. Not to mention that Chatot had some serious hero worship initially. It's a lot to swallow at first.

And I'm sure he'll redeem himself. One day. Maybe.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
This is the part where I feel like a huge baby because I loving love the reunion scenes in PMD. Just having all of the NPCs miss you is adorable.

Reimou posted:

It took Babar ages for him to admit some of this stuff, even being in the middle of it all. It's kind of impressive that almost everybody else just accepts it, where instead of seeing what happened they just see Team America kidnapped and missing. Hell, we don't even know for long how they were missing because ~time travel~.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Benach posted:

This is the part where I feel like a huge baby because I loving love the reunion scenes in PMD. Just having all of the NPCs miss you is adorable.

They really are a family. In fact, the guild is like 70% dads. Yelling Dad, Marshmallow Dad, Actually 3 Dads...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

They really are a family. In fact, the guild is like 70% dads. Yelling Dad, Marshmallow Dad, Actually 3 Dads...

Is Yelling Dad Chatot or Loudred??

• Locked thread